• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeey, it's my birthday!!!
tumblr_ms50u6UIoG1qhfdt1o1_400.gif

Too bad I won't be able to play Styx today :(
And I'm pretty sure that I'll shift my "main gaming platform" from PC for PS4 (sorry guys, but I'll still hang around and play the PC exclusives and Indies)

Happy Birthday!

Now why would you go and do something silly like that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
vkCDPjd.png

So my last NASCAR 2013 gift just got upgraded to Championship Edition. It now includes all the DLCs for the game. When did this happen?

Eutechnyx changed the app store name about a week-and-a-half ago for some reason. The sub doesn't actually include the DLC (the only one that does is this one and it's never been available to purchase) and the game hasn't been patched to include it by default, either.

What I think about The Witcher after 11 hours:

Graphics hold up pretty well for a game of its age, and I much prefer the half-open world over Witcher 2's one town/hub at a time(special areas opened only to quests). The atmosphere is great, needing money all the time so I would have to look for jobs do make me feel like I'm playing as a witcher, however the emotionless voice acting and repeating character models kept breaking the immersion.

So far, the only things I've learned about the main quest after the witchers embarked on their own journeys, are: Salamandra is bad (but we already know that) and
Berengar the supposedly not dead witcher is probably dead
. Still feels kind of slow in chapter 2.

Turfster

Is it me, or would Sylvio be a lot scarier
if you didn't fire oranges at ghosts?

Also, looks like I'm getting Styx if the only problem is a meh combat and parry system.
Ghost runs 4eva!
Oh: live twitch session with the devs in 2 hours.

AsfaeksBR

Happy Birthday!

Now why would you go and do something silly like that?

Thanks you!
And mostly budget. I don't play that much anymore, so it's kind of a no-brainer to spend R$4k on a good PC when I can get a PS4 for R$1.3k. But I'll keep playing games on PC, but the AAA ones will be on console.

Well, once the game is F2P, gift copies will be the only way for it to count as a +1, so you could sell them for a key or two in the future.

Seriously? Then I will hold onto them.

Will there reallly be people who "buy" a F2P game just to have +1 in their library?

You are talking to Jacec and you ask this?

I am sure JaseC already has them in his collection, but I was wondering if there are other people who would buy a "F2P"-game just to have it in the library.

I can understand if its Wheelman or another "real" game thats not available anymore but I guess that game will be around for some time.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Pork is gonna fuck you up

I haven't played The Last Door yet, so I might dislike it :p

But I don't think the main game looks like a walking simulator, unless you consider all point and click adventure games to be walking simulators, that is.

Well, minisodes are walking simulator of 2 minutes each.

I'm guessing that the minisodes are just there to give background development to the game's overarchingl plot.

And the story is a mess. I mean it is so hard to follow and I dont get it anymore. Even after watching this GT story video of about 1 hour, I almost forgot everything.

The problem is that the plot is so convoluted that it just becomes understable through extreme information retention. It's just going to become even more complicated than it already is, even if III is supposed to finish off the first trilogy, or at least it was supposed to at one point.

Yeah. I remember that, but it seems people dont even wanna pledge to this "Megaman" game, because the animations look too similar, how that is really shady, while its totally okay with Mordor.

"Well, it's an AAA game, not some indie game whose devs have the gall to ask for money before the game is even finished, so it's okay."

Keep in mind that some people actually think like that, even if they won't admit it. Some people, even some here on Gaf, openly dismiss most indie games simply because they're indie games (or small publisher published games). On the flip side, some people do the opposite.

As for the other game you mentioned, it's nothing new. People were doing something similar to Midora, since its sprites look very similiar to Minish Cap's, though the sprites are different. And that's just one example.

tumblr_ms50u6UIoG1qhfdt1o1_400.gif
Happy birthday!

Xanathus

I am sure JaseC already has them in his collection, but I was wondering if there are other people who would buy a "F2P"-game just to have it in the library.

I can understand if its Wheelman or another "real" game thats not available anymore but I guess that game will be around for some time.
The thing is that anyone who is so into their game count will already have that.

JaseC

Have there been any good deals on amazon lately?
It feels like it's been very quiet from them

There was a few-day "End of Summer" sale that ran from the end of August until the opening of September. In general, though, Amazon's gaming focus has shifted from PC DD to FireTV/Android (the latter of which is where Tony ended up). That's why there was no answer to Steam's Summer Sale outside of some price matches, for instance, and in fact Josh (Tony's replacement) hasn't posted on CAG since June.

"Well, it's an AAA game, not some indie game whose devs have the gall to ask for money before the game is even finished, so it's okay."

Keep in mind that some people actually think like that, even if they won't admit it. Some people, even some here on Gaf, openly dismiss most indie games simply because they're indie games (or small publisher published games). On the flip side, some people do the opposite.

As for the other game you mentioned, it's nothing new. People were doing something similar to Midora, since its sprites look very similiar to Minish Cap's, though the sprites are different. And that's just one example.

It just is kinda sad, because actually that game, at least judging from the screens looks far more than Megaman than Mighty No. 9s bad UE3 style...
I am 90% sure that if it would show some prominent dev there, it would have already reached their goal.

It really feels like "Oh. If its a prominent dev/publisher its okay. But an indie-dev cant do that!"

JaseC

The thing is that anyone who is so into their game count will already have that.

There's also an element of convenience in that activating a gift will permanently tie the game to one's account whereas games obtained via Free on Demand packages don't follow you between devices because they're not "proper" licences.

Jawmuncher

For Alien does the difficulty affect how much the Alien is on your ass?
Because if so I could see playing on something lower than Hard would be better regardless what the devs say.

Sendou

shadowofmordorckpp1.png

Got all achievements in Shadow of Mordor. Pretty fun game to 100%. Nothing too hard really. The sidequests are by large pretty uninteresting so that might be the least appealing part of the whole process. Still lots of fun to be had with this game. Oh and I added the game to my Curator list of enjoyable games to get all achievements in. Here's some more impressions (cross post from 52 games this year challenge thread):

Shadow of Mordor is a curious game. The first quarter of the game just simply feels awesome. While not everything feels fresh it's all crafted so well that you can't help but admire the result. After a while you start getting less and less of those "wow" moments. There's plenty to do for sure but it's just that a lot of that just feels like a simple copy-paste job. The game is uncannily similiar to Batman: Arkham series at times. This includes the combat system, bosses and other minor stuff. I don't think they improved from that series either. Both Monolith and Rocksteady act under the same WB Games umbrella here but it was still disappointing to see how this was handled. The similiarities were even more striking since I played Batman: Arkham Asylum very recently and it's one of my favorite games that I have finished many times.

Nemesis system which is basically procederally generated bosses has been receiving a lot of praise. I found out that it totally deserves that too. What Monolith achieved here is unbelievable. The orcs generated by the system actually feel like inviduals rather than clones with small differences. I'm sure at some point you'll start seeing more and more of samey orcs but for the 20 hours I played I think they did a pretty good job of avoiding that. It really manages to achieve that "nemesis" feeling too when a lowly soldier kills you and rises through the ranks avoiding your blade. Writers did a good job with the orcs. Listening to their banter is entertaining. This also does a lot to bring Nemesis system alive. Sadly the Nemesis system loses meaning as the game progresses. Defeating any enemy including bosses after you receive end-game abilities feels too easy. This hurts nemesis system a lot too.

There's some discrepancy going on with the missions. Main missions are by large fun and varied. Side missions not so much. That's not to say there aren't fun side missions. It's just that they seem to be hidden under piles of uninteresting and recycled content. For example one subset of 20 missions consist of only doing the same task in different environments. I just don't find that something I would want to do. It doesn't help that quickly you stop caring about the potential rewards since you're so powerful you have little use with them.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've mentioned it before, but I doubt it's as easy as pointing to Tony versus Josh. I think the more likely story is that Amazon wasn't making enough money on PC gaming to continue it as a department of emphasis; as a result, they shifted resources elsewhere. They liked Tony, so they promoted him elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they have great confidence in the PC gaming side of things.

I expect they sell very few games except during sale events where they sacrifice significant margin, and in the mean time they're putting a lot into the Amazon App Store and the Fire devices, so they need the talent there, because those platforms also lead to other Amazon content being purchased.

Happy birthday dude.
Got my 12 Alien codes! yes!
Wow, 12 copies. Star Citizen and Alien for a Dollar... still makes me angry... good haul.
MGS GZ will come on PC in December with 4K support and improved graphic
http://www.pcgamer.com/metal-gear-solid-5-release-date-confirmed-for-december/
That's cool of Kojima. He should consider Workshop/Mod support, at least for MGS:pP. The games being open-world should make game mechanics very mod-friendly.

RS4 didn't write back, so I guess he didn't manage to grab Dishonored for 2$ after all :(

I've mentioned it before, but I doubt it's as easy as pointing to Tony versus Josh. I think the more likely story is that Amazon wasn't making enough money on PC gaming to continue it as a department of emphasis; as a result, they shifted resources elsewhere. They liked Tony, so they promoted him elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they have great confidence in the PC gaming side of things.

I expect they sell very few games except during sale events where they sacrifice significant margin, and in the mean time they're putting a lot into the Amazon App Store and the Fire devices, so they need the talent there, because those platforms also lead to other Amazon content being purchased.

This makes so much sense that my only option is to dismiss it, and really pump the Josh h8 / miss my bae Tony.

But, in general, the days where Amazon was involved in price matching deals and securing great discounts are sorely missed, much like the days of great coupons and credit for GMG.

It was nice having multiple players in the game.

masterkajo

AMD Gold and Silver coupons were 1$ at Newegg like 2 months ago.

Apparently Alien and SC were sold for 99 cents.

Well, two months ago. That is so far back, I don't even care...
I do

I kust want Valkyria Chronicles for PC. Have the second game for PSP and it's so much fun, despite people insisting that its a lot worse tham the first one.

The first is superior, IMO. One of my all time favorites PS3 games.

def sim

THanks to all.
__

I know I can change my Username on Gaf, but how? Any requirements?
When I made the account I put the wrong username (which is the oen you're seeing right now, extremely bad).

Hey, happy birthday! You only have to PM a mod/admin for a name change.

I'm interested to see what Valve do to my Steam account today. I had a registered Steam account in USA for a good six to seven years before moving up to Canada. Since then I've been using the browser to buy games off the store. When I visit back home in the States (three to four times a year), I sign into Steam and also make purchases.

I'm assuming they'll just base it around where you are logged in but who knows.

^^
Still pissed off about the Star Citizen business. Would rather have that than Sniper Elite 3....
Wait, you're German too. How did you get in that deal?
9. he has a poll going to decide what to do with them
http://strawpoll.me/2725678/r
Uh-uh. While Alien is the new shiny thing, by selling it, he could easily afford many more great - bit older - games.
What did I miss? Don't tell me I missed to get a chance at an affordable Star Citizen Ship and a game I will be too afraid to play Alien: Isoliation.
Neweeg sold AMD bronze/silver/gold coupons which would grant you 1/2/3 games from a selection, which included Aliens, Star Citizen, Saint's Row, Murdered, Sniper Elite 3 and many more. All for one measly dollar. Of course the stocks got depleted in a matter of minutes. And it was only available for US peeps.
Still. One dollar for Alien and Star Citizen. Crazy. US folks have all the good deals. Europe gets the shaft as usual.

iosefe

Uh-uh. While Alien is the new shiny thing, by selling it, he could easily afford many more great - bit older - games.

this is very true. what i suggest to him is that he base what he does off the percentage, for instance, 3 alien copies get raffled, 3 get sold to buy something like Korra, 2 are sold for other miscellaneous games, and one gets sold/traded for a witcher 3 copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom