• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Europe gets a price increase for Arkham Knight from GMG :S
Oh, sorry to hear. I don't buy new, so it doesn't hurt me that much :p
this is very true. what i suggest to him is that he base what he does off the percentage, for instance, 3 alien copies get raffled, 3 get sold to buy something like Korra, 2 are sold for other miscellaneous games, and one gets sold/traded for a witcher 3 copy
You thought a lot about this, hah. He could sell and just by games for himself as well. He doesn't have that many.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Still pissed off about the Star Citizen business. Would rather have that than Sniper Elite 3....

Exactly the same situation here :p

But after talking to Iosefe I will give SE3 at least a chance, but I will think about Star Citizen all the time during playing it

FloatOn

divorce is going down 10/28

I need the most disgusting, obscene and otherwise pathetic visual novel game to distract myself from my ambivalent feels.

or I could just play bad rats and listen to celine dion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
in other words - Amazon doesn't give a fuck any more

More or less, but I wouldn't say it's indifference. Sure, Amazon was undercutting Steam with regularity in 2012, but this wasn't Tony's silver tongue -- it was Amazon reducing its own cut in order to secure mindshare. I'd say 2013 was a "test year" of Amazon chiefly if not entirely relying on publisher-approved discounts and seeing how the cookie crumbled, and with people generally just sticking with Steam and GMG/GameFly, there was a refocus, hence the foray into the Android market and, to a lesser extent, the PSN store.

A reduced revenue cut isn't an ideal long-term strategy. Even GMG has stepped away from 30% discount codes almost entirely (just two so far this year to the best of my knowledge, excluding the Aussie Tax code), not to mention Playfire Rewards being incompatible with discount codes and the value of the rewards themselves dropping notably.

iosefe

You thought a lot about this, hah. He could sell and just by games for himself as well. He doesn't have that many.
the poll was actually my idea. originally he was up in arms between raffling them and selling for something like Witcher or D:OS, but i mentioned other cool games people wanted, such as Korra
Exactly the same situation here :p

But after talking to Iosefe I will give SE3 at least a chance, but I will think about Star Citizen all the time during playing it

851577_460938397361342_1518556603_n.png

Knurek

There was a few-day "End of Summer" sale that ran from the end of August until the opening of September. In general, though, Amazon's gaming focus has shifted from PC DD to FireTV/Android (the latter of which is where Tony ended up). That's why there was no answer to Steam's Summer Sale outside of some price matches, for instance, and in fact Josh (Tony's replacement) hasn't posted on CAG since June.

Good thing Valve has such good CMs, I've seen you post here constantly, and that jshackles guy also brought them a lot of money with his work.
Coincidently, what is it with Valve only hiring people named Jason as their CMs?

Saty

Today I'm going to turn a critical eye on what I see as the hidden lynch-pin of the entire system: user ratings. It's not known to what degree or in what manner user review scores factor in to what shows up on Steam's customized front pages and discovery queues, but there is one crucial piece of evidence right out in the open -- the "sort by user review" function on the search page.

If you go to the Steam homepage and click on the search icon without typing anything in, you get a list of everything on Steam and various ways to narrow/filter your search.

The default option is to sort by "relevance", which I assume is powered by Steam's algorithmic recommendation engine. However, there's also an option to sort by "User Review Score."

It's broken.

Full article: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20141006/227162/Fixing_Steams_User_Rating_Charts.php

^^

Wait, you're German too. How did you get in that deal?

bought a key off someone :D

What happened? I contacted RSI support and they told me it was just a ship, has something changed recently?

seems it's the whole game now. Shady as fuck if they told you it's just the ship.

divorce is going down 10/28

I need the most disgusting, obscene and otherwise pathetic visual novel game to distract myself from my ambivalent feels.

or I could just play bad rats and listen to celine dion.

don't forget a gallon of ice cream.

really sorry dude, that sucks. Hope it's for the best.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of darkchewie, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Omegalodon #3 -- MB-C8E878D0A441D81C - Taken by Vuze. 8 entrants total.
Omegalodon #2 -- MB-737D8A30651F86B2 - Taken by chronomac. 9 entrants total.
Omegalodon -- MB-194422902A1D31A5 - Taken by Gipsy Danger. 12 entrants total.

t1412698413z1.png

Dr Dogg

Man, I really hate the 'achieved with cryengine' thing. Just awful.

I think it's been on every CryEngine game since Crysis 2. At least Crysis had a odd unexpected ironic EA Sports thing going with 'Maximum Game' seeing as they were the publisher and all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good thing Valve has such good CMs, I've seen you post here constantly, and that jshackles guy also brought them a lot of money with his work.
Coincidently, what is it with Valve only hiring people named Jason as their CMs?

It ensures results. ;)

Firebrand

Any news on Arkham Origin Complete Edition? I'm tempted to buy it cheap with some TF2 keys, but I assume all DLC will be removed from the store once the new version arrives.

Sendou

So as I understand it Costume Quest 2 is unlocking in few hours. Where's the buzz at? That's going to be what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Parsnip

I think it's been on every CryEngine game since Crysis 2. At least Crysis had a odd unexpected ironic EA Sports thing going with 'Maximum Game' seeing as they were the publisher and all.

I hate it almost as much as I hate the how True Achievements lists stuff on their timeline.
"Parsnip won 3 Achievements in Dark Souls (PC) for ### points." Uugh. Glad I don't use that site anymore.

Dr Dogg

I hate it almost as much as I hate the how True Achievements lists stuff on their timeline.
"Parsnip won 3 Achievements in Dark Souls (PC) for ### points." Uugh. Glad I don't use that site anymore.

Hahaha. Hey they have to hook 'the kids' in somehow. By telling them that they 'achieved' something it might just brighten their day. I could go on a long winded rant about under performing children and their parents cussing them down for not amount to anything because 'video games' but that might hit a bit too close to home :p

Then again I love achievements and such so I'm one to flipping talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom