• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Alien is scaring the shit out of me. I dislike being stalked by hellspawn.

Gotta Man Up
baby_13.jpg

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I meant the bit where as an example on Origin you can download the first 2GB of FIFA 15 and play a certain section of it while it downloads the rest. I wanted to know if Steam did that and I just didn't own any games that supported it or missed it! I would have assumed NBA 2k15 would have had it though cause I would have loved to play a match with some teams while waiting for that 40GB to download :lol!

I think they had this feature available for Half Life 2 at one point, but I guess it didn't work well enough for them to keep it. It's a great feature when it works well. I remember trying Rift when it went free to play. You could start playing not long after starting the download, and you didn't even need an account to create your first character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So, given the whole PC debacle going on with TEW... anybody still getting it?

game looks amazing and I want to play it bad. why would that change at all if its locked at 30, which I played fine for YEARS on consoles. More power to people that "vote with their wallets" or are insulted that a PC game is 30fps, but I dont give 2 fucks about any of that.

Would I rather play it at 60? well of course. Will I deny myself the chance to play a game Ive been wanting to play for months now? no, no I will not

Hanzou

I keep hearing that the credit card converts us to canada prices. So I checked online and found:

BMO mastercard

Conveniently pay for U.S. purchases in U.S. dollars

Shop with no exchange rate surprises.

I don't recall my credit card doing that conversion. So I do think I'm getting screwed now.

For a lot of credit cards they tack on a few percent to the market rate when converting currencies. So right now for example instead of paying market rate of about 11.8% you would probably be paying around 14%. Some cards like this one don't. This is also why people complaing about the price change or blowing things out of proportion.

Jawmuncher

Each mission creates a hard save I believe so it wouldn't be your entire progress down the drain if you screw up a manual save.

Well you get 2 chances with a manual save.

Current Save
Previous Save
Save from start of mission.

But yeah it sucks just starting from current.
Can't imagine going farther back.

game looks amazing and I want to play it bad. why would that change at all if its locked at 30, which I played fine for YEARS on consoles. More power to people that "vote with their wallets" or are insulted that a PC game is 30fps, but I dont give 2 fucks about any of that.

Would I rather play it at 60? well of course. Will I deny myself the chance to play a game Ive been wanting to play for months now? no, no I will not

Just curious :)

Grief.exe

He means play the current game downloading and it doesn't. It should, not sure why valve is slow with that feature. Blizzard games had it for a while.

Valve is slow with everything. I'd imagine it's difficult to implement when you have so many games from deferring companies.

Sony and Microsoft can force a standard through certification, Blizzard releases their own games, Steam is so much larger with almost no requirements.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just curious :)

I know. which is why I replied :p

Im not trying to impose my views on anyone. I dont understand it but to each its own, do whatever the fuck you want to do (or in this case, not do, which is play the game). Hell I have far bigger controversial views on PC games/communities that would piss off a lot of people that I shall keep to myself :)

edit: also im FAR more concerned about the game not being good than not running at 60. Trailers look awesome, but it could easily all fall apart, and THAT would bum me out

Volimar

I know. which is why I replied :p

Im not trying to impose my views on anyone. I dont understand it but to each its own, do whatever the fuck you want to do (or in this case, not do, which is play the game). Hell I have far bigger controversial views on PC games/communities that would piss off a lot of people that I shall keep to myself :)

edit: also im FAR more concerned about the game not being good than not running at 60. Trailers look awesome, but it could easily all fall apart, and THAT would bum me out

Saw this and thought of you Rhaknar.

YsK1XU6.png

Shade

Some ole bundle stuff. Should be unused. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bridge It plus -- MB-1EC7B23C46F26397 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 1 entrants total.
Ride em Low -- MB-1F82A69A978BEC5D - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
RACE On (incl RACE 07) -- MB-F46B049F3F143A46 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-6C30A1E0C4CE5D34 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Agricultural Simulator 2011 -- MB-562BE8B82FE62FBB - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
Skyscraper Simulator -- MB-69DAFA7313FA1BFC - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
Angvik -- MB-E1E7C78F1A309A33 - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.
Gravi -- MB-59BC88EBB4013DD8 - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Ethan Meteor Hunter -- MB-945FF8BFFD5ADD9C - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
Aveyond Lord of Twilight -- MB-D68234A41F916D07 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Grimind -- MB-CD7533583510F22D - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL 1 -- MB-BEEE68766264EAF8 - Taken by lukiluk. 1 entrants total.
Lume -- MB-89AD9973CA737860 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
The Cat Lady -- MB-897C914D4E1EE5DF - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.

t1412736100z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve is slow with everything. I'd imagine it's difficult to implement when you have so many games from deferring companies.

Sony and Microsoft can force a standard through certification, Blizzard releases their own games, Steam is so much larger with almost no requirements.

With Valve's move to the SteamPipe distribution system and the ability to download things while games are running, it's feasible that the next step would be to create an abstraction layer where files could be given a prioritization number/code by the developer to facilitate something like this. A lot of the groundwork is already there, and as it would just be something that sits on top of their existing distribution system it wouldn't necessarily have to be backwards-compatible with every game on the platform. New games could choose to support it (or not) and older games could be updated to work with it (or not).

But, it would be a pretty huge undertaking and... yeah. Valve time.

There's a difference between locking your game to 30fps for technical/artistic reasons and explaining why that was done, and being 7 days from launch without a word either way on framerate, or port quality, plus the confusion on the min/rec specs for the game makes giving my money blindly to them difficult for me to do.

Like you said, the game looks great, and I have no intentions of not playing it either but I don't have enough confidence in it to blindly give them money before I have answers to a few basic questions about the PC version that they seem to be dodging. Communication would go a long way to calming peoples fears but they seem to missing the mark on that.

Rhaknar

There's a difference between locking your game to 30fps for technical/artistic reasons and explaining why that was done, and being 7 days from launch without a word either way on framerate, or port quality, plus the confusion on the min/rec specs for the game makes giving my money blindly to them difficult for me to do.

Like you said, the game looks great, and I have no intentions of not playing it either but I don't have enough confidence in it to blindly give them money before I have answers to a few basic questions about the PC version that they seem to be dodging. Communication would go a long way to calming peoples fears but they seem to missing the mark on that.

pre orders are dumb anyway. this one doesnt even have a discount

Saw this and thought of you Rhaknar.

I dont have a million dollars so I cant buy 2... but I almost bought 1 today and canceled my 2 970s that have no ETA, I just want my rig ready :/

But Jawmuncher and derExperte didnt let me :(

Oneironaut

Neo Member
System requirement of Hard Drive space for FF13 has been increased to 60GB. Can anyone who played the game on consoles comment on load times? I'm wondering if it's worth clearing up the space on my SSD for it, or if I should just use a regular drive.

Turfster

Ugh. In Alien, is there a way to
not get spotted while in the Lorenz Systech Spire on your way to the communications (where the woman drops the security tuner). Picking it up nets you like 5 enemies with guns, and they don't seem to want to move the fuck away anymore.

Jawmuncher

Ugh. In Alien, is there a way to
not get spotted while in the Lorenz Systech Spire on your way to the communications (where the woman drops the security tuner). Picking it up nets you like 5 enemies with guns, and they don't seem to want to move the fuck away anymore.

Did you already save?
You can scout the whole area and set up how you want it before picking up that item.

Use Flares to distract or the control panels to bring them over.
You can also use Atmospheric to hide.

If your back is to the item you want to get to the door that is North West.

Just noticed the banner to announce Canadian dollars for Steam. Gotta love this in the FAQ:

Can I continue to make purchases in USD?
The Canadian Dollar is the currency that is available for purchases made in Canada.

Seriously, what's wrong with answering "no?" Or is this to say that we should cross the border to Buffalo and buy things with a laptop there if we want USD?

Jawmuncher

No, I still have a save from before.
I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Can you
no-kill it that way, or did you just wrench everyone?

All in all, kinda let down. I was promised no human enemies =p

You can do no kills so long as you distract.
It's actually really hard to kill in that game.

I keep hearing that the credit card converts us to canada prices. So I checked online and found:

BMO mastercard

Conveniently pay for U.S. purchases in U.S. dollars

Shop with no exchange rate surprises.

I don't recall my credit card doing that conversion. So I do think I'm getting screwed now.

BMO has a special Mastercard in US dollars. The regular one is in CAD with an exchange rate.

Shadownet

Banned
Well that's because they dislike Elizabeth Olsen, something about never having seen her on Full House so she doesn't count.

Hey if you have a problem with Elizabeth, just say so. Then meet me on the playground tomorrow at 3. your snide remarks will get you nowhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom