• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
so if we idle the idle master game does that create a paradox and we are all doomed?

With any luck (aka, getting through Greenlight) idling the Idle Master game would create Steam Trading Cards about Steam Trading Cards

Dr Dogg

Surely the only Simulator game worth making is ModBot Simulator. The highs of giving away games one moment to the lows of having to corral a bunch of unruly youths the next and close the thread with a whitty quip. But you can only do one at a time but don't close the thread quick enough them Stump gives you a stern talking too but mess up send the codes to the wrong person and you get you ModBot bucks docked for every mistake. Then there's your interactions with ModBots 2 & 3 and having to delegate jobs to them to balance the load during busy times. Hang on this might actually have some promise.

L.O.R.D

Notch wasn't only person that profited from Minecraft XD

Minecraft streamer buys $4.5 million mansion

everyone reaction now

sb0g2.jpg

Ha actually I have two games in the pipeline at the moment but both are in the early stages. This RPG I'm working on as well as a Clicker game based on Idle Master.

Since the RPG game requires more graphically I've secured the talents of a dedicated artist that will be working on making it pretty while I do the code-stuffs. The clicker game requires significantly less work, and is being made with Game Maker.
Wow, you are making not one but two games? Impressive.

Animated-Matrix.gif

It's... beautiful.

Basically...

Looking through the tags, the main things jumping out are VR (so, probably first person), party-based gameplay with dialog, and quests.

And of course the file is named hl3.txt so, yeah.

HL3 is dead, long live yet another multiplayer persistent hat-collecting simulator. Wonder what they'll call crates and keys this time, and how they'll further innovate the player-based economy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
getting a constant "Update Steam...Update Steam...Update Steam" while on the Beta branch...says it's from October 7th and it installs the same update over and over and over

switched to the non-Beta and it seems ok now

getting a constant "Update Steam...Update Steam...Update Steam" while on the Beta branch...says it's from October 7th and it installs the same update over and over and over

switched to the non-Beta and it seems ok now

I've had that on the main client before. It's either Steam itself needing to be restarted or my AV's active protection thing interfering with the update. It isn't a consistent problem, but it happens enough to be a bother.

Caerith

I don't see immersion as something that you have or you have "broken" it. Nor do I think it is about hiding the fact that you're playing a video game, that would be silly.

It's about having access to information that you shouldn't have, that dumbs down the game in a meaningful way.

That's what I meant as a trade off. I don't have a HUD in real life, but I know my own health and how much stuff I'm carrying in a way that video games can't tell me otherwise. I don't have a radar in real life or a view of my own back, but I know what's going on around me in a way that can't be captured just staring down the sights of a gun. Until video games find a better way to give me access to information I should have, I'm okay with the compromise.

Some impressions of Cryptark if anyone was interested:

Played this for about two hours so far, and it's really solid at the moment. Very polished and a lot of content for an initial Early Access release

The basic premise is that you're a scavenger who pilots a mech into derelict space hulks. Things is, while these vessels may be abandoned, their security systems are still active, so you need to destroy the ship's cortex to de-power its defenses

However, the cortex has its own defenses: shields, alarm systems, turrets, repair systems, jammers, and more. To make your journey to the cortex safer and make your attack on it more manageable, you want to disable those defenses

This gives the gameplay a cool-freeform feel. You always start outside the space hulk and there are multiple entrances, so you can choose which systems you want to tackle first and from what entry point. But at the same time, you want to explore so you can gather tech upgrades

Some ships are even separated into multiple parts, for example a central ring with a inner segment in the center

So that's the risk vs reward element: do you only take out the most essential defenses and go straight for the core or do you risk destruction to explore more? You also need to watch your finances. If you run out of funds, your contract is terminated. So armoring up with a lot of health and a bunch of powerful weapons might be the ideal option, but it might not be cost effective.

Even in this initial EA version, there are a lot of weapons to equip. You have four weapon slots and two item slots, and weapons range from basic machineguns and shotguns to chemical mortars, shields, lasers, tractor beams, and ram spikes.

You can even dual- or quad- wield weapons, if you wanted to equip four machineguns and hold all four fire buttons down to unleash them simultaneously. Just watch your ammo because ships have limited health and resupply stations.

Enemies are varied too, from deadly turrets and micro-swarms to charging sawblades. Each defense system requires a different tactic to disable; for example, the shield generator has reflecting barriers that you want to avoid hitting

As far as future content, here's a list of what the devs plan to add:
-Persistent Unlock system: Gain access to new player-suit types that play differently, alternative suit paint-schemes, maybe some crazy weapons and items, all that fun stuff.

-Narrative elements: Who the heck are these skeleton aliens? Whats the deal with the creepy snake g-men? What are they doing with all this xenotechnology? Little nuggets of interesting narrative sprinkled throughout the game to spice things up.

-COOP Multiplayer: Pull a heist with a friend, nuff said.

-Arcade Mode: optional game mode more in line with a standard roguelike. Progress through levels, grab new weapons, ammo, and health as you go, just don't die!

-More Game Content: More weapons, items, enemies, systems, ship designs, just more cool stuff.

madjoki

If anyone has Green Man Gaming credit left (Playfire Rewards for example), better get using that as "Do be aware that any credit you have on Green Man Gaming will expire on 13th November 2015.".

I'm curious, on a scale of G2A to GOG, how legit is wingamestore?

It's legit, sister site to macgamestore.

derExperte

If anyone has Green Man Gaming credit left (Playfire Rewards for example), better get using that as "Do be aware that any credit you have on Green Man Gaming will expire on 13th November 2015.".

Say what. Thanks for the warning but I can't find a source, are they killing Playfire for good?

AHA-Lambda

I give up GAME UK has Transformers as well for £18 also but lists the date as today, but still a pre order.

Will wait for Steam sale >_>

Vuze

It's legit, sister site to macgamestore.
Damn, thanks for the heads up! I still have 50 bucks or so... Never bought anything lol

That's what I meant as a trade off. I don't have a HUD in real life, but I know my own health and how much stuff I'm carrying in a way that video games can't tell me otherwise. I don't have a radar in real life or a view of my own back, but I know what's going on around me in a way that can't be captured just staring down the sights of a gun. Until video games find a better way to give me access to information I should have, I'm okay with the compromise.

There are other ways to show health and ammo and stuff without it being persistently blasted at you the entire time. Either way, I am merely suggesting that mafia take a more immersive route. I'm not trying to say it appeals to anyone in particular or trying to appeal to anyone in particular. There is always going to be someone that says I don't like that idea or just being negative in general.

But mafia clearly looks like it is going to a homogenized third person shooter sandbox type experience. Somewhat the opposite of what I am suggesting.

My email told me October 30th, so it may differ between accounts

Phantom Pain for $30 is mine...

Anteater

damn it my calf muscles hurt, I blame those crappy ass shoes I wear to run because I was still drying my other pair.

can't wait to play more dishonored and watchdogs tonight

watchdogs isn't so bad for 4 bucks, it controls pretty well and the hacking novelty will probably entertain me for a few hours murdering everyone in my way.

My email told me October 30th, so it may differ between accounts

Phantom Pain for $30 is mine...

From madjoki's email there are two dates: October 30th is the deadline to convert Playfire rewards to GMG credit, and November 13th is the deadline to use up the GMG credit.

Ludens

Banned
Is there any chance pre-order for Resident Evil 0 or Lightning Returns will go up on GMG before November 13th?
I have some credits I was taking apart for those titles :(

Caerith

There are other ways to show health and ammo and stuff without it being persistently blasted at you the entire time. Either way, I am merely suggesting that mafia take a more immersive route. I'm not trying to say it appeals to anyone in particular or trying to appeal to anyone in particular. There is always going to be someone that says I don't like that idea or just being negative in general.

But mafia clearly looks like it is going to a homogenized third person shooter sandbox type experience. Somewhat the opposite of what I am suggesting.
Yeah, I think Mafia has bigger problems than its HUD.

ss_ce0881a997b36e426591ac55d500924b6322a0a3.jpg

I'd assume this is hubando #2, on the left. No guarantees though.

Don't look at his arms for too long or you may never be the same again.

Is this like Hatoful Boyfriend but instead of pigeons they're giraffe-human hybrids subjected to horrible mutations and denied the mercy of a swift death?

Tenrius

This RPG train never stops, does it?

Anyone have impressions on AoD? Is it shaping up to be as special as it sounds?

I read some detailed early access impressions on Russian IGN lol a year ago and remember being hyped as hell. Curiously enough, that preview said that the game had been supposed to be out Winter/Spring 2015 lol. Well, that kind of delay is probably nothing to the man who has been developing his game for the past 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom