• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Everyone's Gone to the Rapture runs at 20 FPS on the PS4 I don't think the even more ambitious cryengine powered Star Citizen would do well there.

Dunno. Sure it would be extra work but I don't see how with a bit of optimization SC would not run on consoles.

Nzyme's point of SC devs touting the game for "the masterrace" and riding that train is probably a bigger reason.

Lomax

Thinking some more about Indivisible's struggles to get funded and the extent to which they are symptomatic of IndieGoGo versus something intrinsic to the project or game being offered.

Excellent analysis as always. Honestly though, I think it would have struggled on Kickstarter as well. The $30 entry price for the game is just too high. They lose all of their casual backers at that price point, and thus a lot of their buzz. I'd have probably tossed them $15, but $30 is too much. I guess it's at that price point because they targeted it as a console title, but as we know, console doesn't really drive crowdfunding except in very rare cases. It's sad, because I would really like to see them succeed, if for no other reason than that they are the most honest and open about the crowdfunding process of any developer. But I really think they priced themselves out of the market.

tuxfool

Banned
I doubt they could bring it to consoles, particularly due to the way they have touted it as a PC only thing, and got that crowd of die-hards on board. Those folks would not take it well

There is so much technology in this game that would simply break the consoles, it just isn't going to happen. Chris Roberts stated he wasn't against it, but he also wasn't going to compromise the vision to fit the hardware.

Maybe in the next gen?

Dunno. Sure it would be extra work but I don't see how with a bit of optimization SC would not run on consoles.
Those of us that follow the game can tell you it just wouldn't work. It isn't some out of a sense of snobbery, but the consoles are too weak CPU wise and GPU wise. I'm not talking about things like the trailer cutscene, after all, ryse looked pretty good, but actual game systems.

Haunted

All those actors. That must have cut from their funds. Why? Why spend so much to have so many famous actors?
Roberts loves to work with actors and this is by far the biggest budget he ever had to work with. If you have enough funds for the running costs, the overhead, the marketing department, keeping all your employees on solid salaries and still have some left over, well, you have to find other ways to spend those millions. :D

... 10 days ago, yes :p

Thanks. Saved me the effort.

Why not Vermintide? I picked it up without issue with a vpn.

The urge to drop $20 on Vermintide vanished after I had to empty the other two out of my cart. I may change my mind later, but usually with nuuvem, if one thing goes wrong with the bulk checkouts I try to do, I usually scratch the whole purchase. And in this case, since 3/4 games I tried to buy there in the last week have issues, I just said "ehhhhh.... fuck it." for Vermintide.

Excellent analysis as always. Honestly though, I think it would have struggled on Kickstarter as well. The $30 entry price for the game is just too high. They lose all of their casual backers at that price point, and thus a lot of their buzz. I'd have probably tossed them $15, but $30 is too much. I guess it's at that price point because they targeted it as a console title, but as we know, console doesn't really drive crowdfunding except in very rare cases. It's sad, because I would really like to see them succeed, if for no other reason than that they are the most honest and open about the crowdfunding process of any developer. But I really think they priced themselves out of the market.

I agree 100%.
I have problems tossing out more than $15-$20 for a kickstarter without a guarantee that I'm going to get something decent in return someday.
This is part of the reason I didn't back Bloodstained. And it's part of the reason I haven't backed Indivisible either (regardless of Lab Zero being awesome).

I only accept sexy people on my steam friendlist. That explains why I don't have much friends.

Many.

LpfcEqO.png

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm doing another Quiplash/Jackbox Party Pack Fun Night tonight at the usual time, since it's been a while since the last one and the Jackbox Party Pack 2 comes out in a few days.

header.jpg

header.jpg

You don't need to own the game to play!

The stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/DongsMacabre
I'll be recording the stream and uploading it to YouTube after.

t1444525200z4.png

That's 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern

Rules:
1. You must bring a bag of milk.

We're about to start!

Nzyme's point of SC devs touting the game for "the masterrace" and riding that train is probably a bigger reason.
Some things really are just too grand for hardware that is 5-6 years old and wasn't even top of the line then!

Shade

Some old bundle stuff. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 24 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FATE Undiscovered realms-- MB-8CAE318970B7D890 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Larva Mortus -- MB-8698DC352A6990A3 - Taken by darkchewie. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana -- MB-2302C187263133E8 - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
Dracula Trilogy -- MB-D1A50AFAC0340BCF - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Weird Worlds -- MB-7CA6621B66303B79
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams-- MB-CA498F1BDC7B57E1 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets -- MB-C0CB4B135B3CB87A - Taken by septicore. 2 entrants total.
Them -- MB-50706365F717F152 - Taken by SSPssp. 2 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-5E0DCBEF6AFDD1A6 - Taken by Last Baron. 2 entrants total.
Velocity Ultra -- MB-7AF2576E4B1174C6 - Taken by shockdude. 2 entrants total.
Rhiannon Curse of the four branches -- MB-4D8D742C57B77383 - Taken by Eila. 2 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-3F1C49BFB2460561 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Shadows Price for our sins -- MB-B16BCA52BD479E1A - Taken by Kagemusha. 2 entrants total.
Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 -- MB-3B1A1070F7851239 - Taken by ~Kinggi~. 1 entrants total.
Cognition Ep 2-- MB-6A7202440306F6AD
Overcast -- MB-63CEB414D36636C8 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
Dracula 4 and 5 Special Steam Edition -- MB-576CB760EC21D39D - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-AFC47344CFC320E0 - Taken by PandaPedinte. 3 entrants total.
Creeper World 3 -- MB-5859D9781174480C - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
White Noise Online -- MB-886C52C2E7963852 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Splatter -- MB-73D453503752D218 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Necronomicon Dawning of darkness -- MB-F54EB2DB10725D25 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-7DF1AA2D842FF961 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
Sang-Froid -- MB-05F52B81AB4D222D - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1444526224z1.png

(some other old stuff left from a previous giveaway here)

Sch1sm

I don't think Zestiria is going to make Tier 3 by the 19th. Even if it makes it I will not support this!!!!.......................

Tales of Zestiria tier 3 progress is now at 80%.
There was a huge 10% bump today. Don't be shy guys, go pre order it and get Symphonia for free. :D

I dunno, Rayge. It might make it. Sales are bound to increase as the date nears, even more than now. Plus, there's still one more payday for people before it releases. :p

Lain

Thinking some more about Indivisible's struggles to get funded and the extent to which they are symptomatic of IndieGoGo versus something intrinsic to the project or game being offered.

[...]

Further, I believe it was an error to choose IndieGoGo over running their own Crowdfunding platform.

Interesting analysis.

One thing to consider in regards to IGG, compared to KS, is that IGG takes your money right away, which can be a deterrent for backers to hop onto the project right away. I know I haven't backed the game because of that.
I'll back it toward the end and only if it is close to making it. Sure, if they don't get funded I'd get reimbursed, but between getting reimbursed and my money not getting taken at all I'd always pick the second choice. I'd rather wait the last minute to back in this case because with that money I could do other things during the month, like paying bills, buying food or just spending on other things rather than have that money locked down away until next month, when I'll find out if I'm gonna get the money back or not.

I hope the project pulls through, because the prototype is fun and I can see it becoming a really enjoyable game. I also respect their choice to go with IGG for the reasons they stated, though I do feel the project could have had a better start on KS.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shan Gui -- MB-2D726A265102AD95 - Taken by Anteater

Chinese waifu.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Diadra Empty -- MB-FCAB85DD76018D9E - Taken by rainking187

Japanese waifu.

(Forgot to add a space so I had to make 2 posts)

Well they've slightly improved the key process. Now when I input a key it no longer hangs while processing the key, it now hangs after processing the key and throws in a 50/50 hard crash to desktop requiring steam to restart. It's progress?

Lain

I agree 100%.
I have problems tossing out more than $15-$20 for a kickstarter without a guarantee that I'm going to get something decent in return someday.
This is part of the reason I didn't back Bloodstained. And it's part of the reason I haven't backed Indivisible either (regardless of Lab Zero being awesome).

Well, in Indivisible's case, you get a prototype to try and play right now, so you get to try first hand if the game they have in mind is the type of game you'd enjoy playing.
I'd say that's one thing in their favor.

DasFool

How do you guys categorize your games? It's starting to get ridiculous at 400+ games and need a better way to find something to play.
Sorting by progress just leads to a big list of shit I haven't started and going by genre doesn't show me if I've played/beaten a particular game.

Buraindo

Finished Contradiction in one 6.8 hours sitting (with breaks, I'm not insane yet) and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. The actors are fantastic and so are the characters, the plot is intriguing and the game's really easy to jump in and play. I was surprised to find that, aside from a few uh, lucky findings, the puzzles made sense all the way to the end, and I never felt like I had to do too much guesswork to solve them either. The interface could use some improvements, like there's no reason to show objects that can't be used in interviews in the interview screen. It's not a big issue, but it does become annoying towards the end when you'll have a good number of objects and clues to keep track of.
Contradiction's major problem however is the ending. It's a bit underwhelming and while it provides closure, a bit too much is left unresolved for my taste.
All in all, I wholeheartedly recommend this one even for people who don't like point and click games.

Anyone who has never read a history of the Derek Smart flamewars really should, it's a fascinating look at internet history. It amazes me that in over two decades he doesn't seem to have changed at all.

They say your personality is set by the time you're age 5...

aaaaand that's about Derek Smart's level, I'd say.

Maniac

Banned
Anyone who has never read a history of the Derek Smart flamewars really should, it's a fascinating look at internet history. It amazes me that in over two decades he doesn't seem to have changed at all.

It's also amazing that people still believe any of Smart's lies hold merit.

Gonna keep that post bookmarked for future use though.

Tenrius

How do you guys categorize your games? It's starting to get ridiculous at 400+ games and need a better way to find something to play.
Sorting by progress just leads to a big list of shit I haven't started and going by genre doesn't show me if I've played/beaten a particular game.

By genre and/or overarching series:

b9b99fe166.png

I have 1200+ games and managing them all is easier than you might expect.

Khronico

I categorize them by hidden and not hidden

Hidden means either the game is Trash/I didn't like it/Beat it and that I'm never touching them again

Non hidden means I plan on playing it/Currently playing/In the rotation.

Of my 383 games, 339 are hidden.

I wish this meant I've beaten a ton of games, but it just means I'm horrible at making purchase decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom