• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pronounced JuriJuri
photo.jpg

Jaw please.

All those actors. That must have cut from their funds. Why? Why spend so much to have so many famous actors?
Brings in mass appeal for a genre that is generally considered to be niche? Some of those people have acted in games before so it's nothing new or crazy, they do have an endless budget after all.

Lomax

Brings in mass appeal for a genre that is generally considered to be niche? Some of those people have acted in games before so it's nothing new, they do have an endless budget after all.

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm sure they are approaching this as a completely AAA project at this point, and are aiming for millions of sales on release as well. And none of them strike me as that "big budget" of people, I'd wager Activision spent more on just Kevin Spacey than all these actors combined.

Hektor

well i can say ellen page is worth at least $12000

You forgot some zeroes.

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm sure they are approaching this as a completely AAA project at this point, and are aiming for millions of sales on release as well. And none of them strike me as that "big budget" of people, I'd wager Activision spent more on just Kevin Spacey than all these actors combined.

I dont really think they're actively aiming for millions of people of the more casual audience, considering how much money they're already getting from the hardcore fans.

They'll just keep selling stuff to the dedicated fanbase i imagine, i know some people that claim to have spent up to 1000$ on it already, which is insane if true.

Lomax

VA Actors want to strike, Hollywood actors apparently don't so XD

Oh if the strike goes through it would definitely impact a project like this, assuming the voice work isn't done already. SAG never breaks ranks.

I dont really think they're actively aiming for millions of people of the more casual audience, considering how much money they're already getting from the hardcore fans.

They'll just keep selling stuff to the dedicated fanbanse i imagine, i know some people that claim to have spent up to 1000$ on it already, which is insane if true.

Oh, I think they are. Wing Commander was very "mainstream" for its era.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think they are designing the game for a "casual" audience, I just think they see the potential for huge sales after release, and well known voice talent gets them a lot more publicity and attention from groups that might otherwise just write the game off as being for hardcore players only.

Knurek

What the hell, is this reverse day or something?

No adventures during mobo/CPU install.
No adventures during Win 10 upgrade as well.
I'm dreading what life has in store for me.

Win 10 seems to have reduced max number of items on jumplist to 10. No way to change that as far as I can tell. :(

Khronico

I don't have BF3. :( I actually don't have any of the BF games on PC. I always played them on consoles.

I sent you a friend request though~

I added you too ^^

Add me on Origin, the premier destination for your PC gaming needs.

ricochetguro

Buy a real calculator or use Wolfram Alpha :3 There's a mobile version too.

Sent both of you friend requests on Origin (I'm rubricmarine on there)
--
Yo. I'm down for this Squadron 42 thing. Star Citizen looks amazing but I'm more excited for that singleplayer experience.

Hektor

Im just watching a german youtubevidya and suddenly BernadoOne.
SteamGAF is everywhere:

https://youtu.be/lizTF2NqsT4?&t=574

Oh, I think they are. Wing Commander was very "mainstream" for its era.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think they are designing the game for a "casual" audience, I just think they see the potential for huge sales after release, and well known voice talent gets them a lot more publicity and attention from groups that might otherwise just write the game off as being for hardcore players only.

Well, the nineties were different times tho. But you maybe right. All we can do is guessing anyways, i suppose.

Nzyme32

But 'not quite as famous' apparently.

Obviously Tom Sykes never watched Dog Soldiers in a pissed up student house while at Uni because since seeing that the dude has always been on top form for me. I mean prior to the Rings films John Rhys Davies was a poor man's Brian Blessed.

PC gamer has no Brits confirmed. Haha, that last bit is so true! Every time I think of John Rhys-Davis I think of Sallah saying "Indy", or I think of Sliders (which hardly anyone will remember)

Kyougar

Oh if the strike goes through it would definitely impact a project like this, assuming the voice work isn't done already. SAG never breaks ranks.

If I understood it correctly, the mocap and voiceacting is done. Maybe little rerecordings are requiered.

Dr Dogg

PC gamer has no Brits confirmed. Haha, that last bit is so true! Every time I think of John Rhys-Davis I think of Sallah saying "Indy", or I think of Sliders (which hardly anyone will remember)

morningbus will be here in a minute to have a word. Sliders was awesome way back when but just fizzled out towards the end. Bit like Jerry O'Connell's acting career in fairness.

Nzyme32

morningbus will be here in a minute to have a word. Slider was awesome way back when but just fizzled out towards the end. Bit like Jerry O'Connell's acting career in fairness.

I never watched Sliders all the way through to the end, but a part of me wants to. Actually, now I have the urge to watch Quantum Leap, another show I used to love but never watched through to its end

Dr Dogg

You mean have a picture.

Don't worry bus I got this.

I never watched Sliders all the way through to the end, but a part of me wants to. Actually, now I have the urge to watch Quantum Leap, another show I used to love but never watched through to its end

I've what Quantum Leap far too much for my own good. I'm sure I could force an Oh Boy reference in here but that's just to easy. Gaming is crying out for more sci fi titles that are light hearted and not sprawling RPGs or Space Sims.

It was shit after Rhys Davis got booted.

Pretty much. There was a thread in OT here about 4 or 5 years ago that summed up the shows problems after series 3.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Any promo codes for Nuuvem? Think I might bite on this.

I subscribe to this question. Do coupon codes stack with the current offer?

I just saw Grand Theft Auto complete package in Nuuvem and I think I'm getting it since I lost the offer from Gamersgate and I regretted so badly. Are Nuuvem keys for Steam? Do you need a VPN in order to buy or activate? By the way, I'm from Argentina (in case that changes anything).

Maniac

Banned
Now that seems needlessly expensive.

It's been part of the budget since more or less day 1.
All those actors. That must have cut from their funds. Why? Why spend so much to have so many famous actors?

It was allotted long before the vast majority of the stretch-goals were even thought up.
VA Actors want to strike, Hollywood actors apparently don't so XD

Hamill is a much more experienced voice actor than 90% of the hacks that make up the videogame industry's excuse for VA, though. So it's hardly of much relevance. :p

As long as they keep Nolan "I only have one voice" North and Troy "I can't change my voice whatsoever" Baker out of this game I'm happy.

Anastasia

As long as they keep Nolan "I only have one voice" North and Troy "I can't change my voice whatsoever" Baker out of this game I'm happy.

Nolan has a lot more range and talent than people give him credit for. I mean yeah, he sounds the same in a number of different games, but he's still a talented VA. Same goes for Troy Baker. I thought he was fantastic in The Last of Us.

Nolan has a lot more range and talent than people give him credit for. I mean yeah, he sounds the same in a number of different games, but he's still a talented VA. Same goes for Troy Baker. I thought he was fantastic in The Last of Us.
They're both doing what's asked of them. Blame the lack of variety on the voice direction. If you look at the roles they've had over the years you'd be surprised

Hell baker did the voice for one of the party members in persona 4 and he was great at it.

Deitus

They're both doing what's asked of them. Blame the lack of variety on the voice direction. If you look at the roles they've had over the years you'd be surprised

Hell baker did the voice for one of the party members in persona 4 and he was great at it.

Exactly, both of them have pretty good range. Maybe not amazing range, but much better than people give them credit for.

The problem is, when people hire Nolan North, they hire him to do the Nathan Drake voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom