• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saddened that Namco got turned into an anime games churning company. Aside from Tekken and Tales, they've hardly done much with their series to date.
Steam would be a good venue for them to preserve many of their classic arcade and console games :/
I like to think they're testing the waters right now. I want my Gundam Extreme VS series on PC, no Rise of Incarnates shit.

Dr Dogg

Well if you're running stock clocks you may as well undervolt. First thing I do is see the loopy volts I get with auto and then take that as a base and work down from there. Got my 4670K stable @3.8ghz turboed under an AVX load at 0.9ish volts which is heavier than any game will ever test it.

Maniac

Banned
Never played DOTA or CSGO but I am in the mood for throwing 1000+ hours of my life away.

How bad of a mistake would getting myself into either of those be? I used to play counter strike back in the day and it has always had it's fair share of shit heels, but everything I read about the community today is downright scary.

If it ever drops to sub $5 again I'll probably pick it up anyways.

May install DOTA after finishing MGSV.

There's nothing wrong with the CSGO community overall whatsoever, really. It's better than the vast majority of FPS communities.

And it wont ever drop below that ever again, as Valve wont do any discounts bigger than 50% from now on to ensure less hackers and smurfing.

Dota 2 is pretty great though, and thé most player-friendly F2P game ever made, really.
I haven't seen CSGO hit <$5 in over a year. It'll be a long wait. :p

Except, there was that one time it hit $1 somewhere. Newegg? I think that was it.

Considering Valve doesn't want to discount it below those 50% (what they actually said was that they wouldn't discount it below $10, back when the price was $20, so I'm not sure if it will go to 50%, IE 7.50 or if it'll be $10)

Maniac

Banned
If you're an average user you do not, in any way whatsoever, need an i7.

Anyway, I've got a 3770k at 3.5 GHz. Good shit. Should probably OC it whenever I bother getting an aftermarket cooler, but still haven't decided whether I want the Noctua NH-D15 or some sort of little closed-loop liquid cooling.

Maniac

Banned
Average user here with a i7 and 16gb of ram.
Or since I game does that not count?

Depends how graphically intensive the games are. There's a definite difference between casually playing games and then being a gaming-enthusiast. One is somewhere within "average user" territory, whilst the other is... Well, within the enthusiast zone. :p

Phinor

Every serious PC gamer I know has an i5 and 16GB ram...

...then again, I build their PCs so that's what you get. Obviously overclocked i5 because why would you not tap into that almost-literally-free extra performance (your electric bill may vary).

There's nothing wrong with the CSGO community overall whatsoever, really. It's better than the vast majority of FPS communities.

And it wont ever drop below that ever again, as Valve wont do any discounts bigger than 50% from now on to ensure less hackers and smurfing.

Dota 2 is pretty great though, and thé most player-friendly F2P game ever made, really.

Considering Valve doesn't want to discount it below those 50% (what they actually said was that they wouldn't discount it below $10, back when the price was $20, so I'm not sure if it will go to 50%, IE 7.50 or if it'll be $10)

I haven't seen CSGO hit <$5 in over a year. It'll be a long wait. :p

Except, there was that one time it hit $1 somewhere. Newegg? I think that was it.
I was checking the lowest ever price and it was something like $3.49 early last year on steam. But looks like since then 50% off is the norm. I'll wait till Christmas regardless and see what the price is. Not in any rush.

I got an i7 and 8gb ram here.

with a 960m. laptop gaming plebe

Knurek

Obviously overclocked i5 because why would you not tap into that almost-literally-free extra performance (your electric bill may vary).

Why would you shorten the lifespan of your (quite expensive) CPU when stock clocks are enough, given the potato-level CPUs curgen consoles are using?

Another serious question: Why is Witcher 3 considered an RPG, while Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs aren't? As much as I love Witcher it has nothing on complexity and flexibility of, say, Might & Magic X.

Hektor

Why would you shorten the lifespan of your (quite expensive) CPU when stock clocks are enough, given the potato-level CPUs curgen consoles are using?

Another serious question: Why is Witcher 3 considered an RPG, while Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs aren't? As much as I love Witcher it has nothing on complexity and flexibility of, say, Might & Magic X.

Because RPG is a meaningless term nowadays.

Dr Dogg

You only do that if your a muppet or a bencher. I ran a Q6600 @3.8ghz for 7 years and still peachy today where as in that time frame I've has 4 360's and 3 PS3's. The key is to not use anymore volts that you need. Right now on my 4670K on auto my mobo came back with 1.12v on the vcore for 3.4 (goes up to 1.18 v at 3.8ghz turboed) but I can get 4.2ghz stable under a full AVX Linpack load at the same voltage. 4.4ghz needs 1.3 to be stable but 4.2 @ 1.18 gives me pleanty of wiggle room for years to come. Plus this is will all C States enabled so when idling I use next to nothing and my CPU downclocks naturally. But hey you spent £100 extra for an i7 over an i5, not bothered to overclock, probably not undervolted it and probably wont get full use out of it by the time a faster CPU is out so says it all really.

Sch1sm

Was 7.50 last I saw it on sale. I was lucky enough to pick it up before then. That 3.74CAD 75% off goodness that I've never really played for more than 10 hours. ;-;

I was checking the lowest ever price and it was something like $3.49 early last year on steam. But looks like since then 50% off is the norm. I'll wait till Christmas regardless and see what the price is. Not in any rush.

I got an i7 and 8gb ram here.

with a 960m. laptop gaming plebe

DotA will steal your life away, fair warning. If you get into it? May as well just tell us all goodbye now.

I'm with Jaw currently. i7, 16GB RAM.

Arthea

What consoles have to do with your PC? I never could understand this, unless you play only console ports on your PC, it's totally irrelevant what they are using.

I don't see how you can ask this... Arkham games aren't RPGs, while Witcher 3 is. Sleeping Dogs aren't either. Yakuza games are more RPGs than SD, and even Yakuza we don't call RPGs.

Maniac

Banned
You only do that if your a muppet or a bencher. I ran a Q6600 @3.8ghz for 7 years and still peachy today where as in that time frame I've has 4 360's and 3 PS3's. The key is to not use anymore volts that you need. Right now on my 4670K on auto my mobo came back with 1.12v on the vcore for 3.4 (goes up to 1.18 v at 3.8ghz turboed) but I can get 4.2ghz stable under a full AVX Linpack load at the same voltage. 4.4ghz needs 1.3 to be stable but 4.2 @ 1.18 gives me pleanty of wiggle room for years to come. Plus this is will all C States enabled so when ideling I use next to nothing and my CPU downclocks naturally. But hey you spent £100 extra for an i7 over an i5, not bothered to overclock and probably wont get full use out of it by the time a faster CPU is out so says it all really.

Was about to say this, but you beat me to it.

I mean, theoretically overclocking does shorten the lifespan, but it's by mere hours unless you're doing aggressive overclocking for benchmarking.

Of course, it's nothing but crazy overclocking with the hockey-puck, but that's another matter entirely. :p

Momentary

Banned
I knew Zestiria was going to see boost in sales, but I didn't expect it to happen until 3 days out from release. I think this game will probably break 100,000 in sales during the first week. I hope it does better than that.

I'm also a laptop pleb.
What is the 960m equivalent in desktop gpu's? Anyone know? (I have the 4gb card and not the 2gb card for what its worth)

I have only had this laptop two months but so far it plays everything I throw at it on max or close to it. Good enough for me.

I just love the portability because I travel a lot.
DotA will steal your life away, fair warning. If you get into it? May as well just tell us all goodbye now.
Kthxbye.

After I finish MGSV.

Roleplaying, bro. It's all about the roleplaying.

Phinor

You only do that if your a muppet or a bencher. I ran a Q6600 @3.8ghz for 7 years and still peachy today where as in that time frame I've has 4 360's and 3 PS3's. The key is to not use anymore volts that you need. Right now on my 4670K on auto my mobo came back with 1.12v on the vcore for 3.4 (goes up to 1.18 v at 3.8ghz turboed) but I can get 4.2ghz stable under a full AVX Linpack load at the same voltage. 4.4ghz needs 1.3 to be stable but 4.2 @ 1.18 gives me pleanty of wiggle room for years to come. Plus this is will all C States enabled so when idling I use next to nothing and my CPU downclocks naturally. But hey you spent £100 extra for an i7 over an i5, not bothered to overclock, probably not undervolted it and probably wont get full use out of it by the time a faster CPU is out so says it all really.

Yeah, overclocking isn't going to do anything meaningful to your CPU within the time span that CPU remains relevant unless you go very hardcore with at least water cooling and high voltages etc.

With air cooling you really can't get to high enough voltages to cause anything more than reduce the CPU lifespan from say 20 years to 10-15 years (numbers just for reference, I don't know how long CPUs last these days but 15-20 years used to be a decent bet). If my current CPU kicks the bucket in 2025, my only question is who dug it up from a landfill.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Knurek

probably wont get full use out of it by the time a faster CPU is out so says it all really.

There are faster CPUs out there already, aren't there (just not... you know, affordable to standard consumer)?
But on the desktop market, considering Intel has been mostly investing in GPU and power reduction, I don't think I'll need a new CPU for the next few years.

I don't see how you can ask this... Arkham games aren't RPGs, while Witcher 3 is. Sleeping Dogs aren't either.

All games have character development. All three have action-based system for resolving battles. All allow of some form of open-world traversal. All three are linear affairs.
Honestly, earlier today someone called Witcher 3 a medieval version of RDR on the gaming side. And true enough, W3 is closer to a GTA clone, than a cRPG.
IMO at least.

Arthea

There are faster CPUs out there already, aren't there (just not... you know, affordable to standard consumer)?
But on the desktop market, considering Intel has been mostly investing in GPU and power reduction, I don't think I'll need a new CPU for the next few years.

All games have character development. All three have action-based system for resolving battles. All allow of some form of open-world traversal. All three are linear affairs.
Honestly, earlier today someone called Witcher 3 a medieval version of RDR on the gaming side. And true enough, W3 is closer to a GTA clone, than a cRPG.
IMO at least.
new GPUs aren't affordable either, it doesn't mean I don't need one right now.

we had this talk so many times, I'm not sure we should repeat it again
just because a game has some RPG elements it isn't RPG by default, most games these days have, as FF7 isn't a basketball game just because it has one basketball minigame. RPG elements has to be prevalent for a game to be an RPG.

IMO at least.
Only one has dialog choices, and consequences stemming from those choices. Linear is the wrong term for it.

The Witcher 3 is designed top to bottom to be an RPG first.

Hektor

Only one has dialog choices, and consequences stemming from those choices. Linear is the wrong term for it.

The Witcher 3 is designed top to bottom to be an RPG first.

And so has Until Dawn, but we wouldnt call that an RPG, would we?

RPG is so subjective nowadays that it became meaningless as an actual genre imho.

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

RC Mini Racers -- MB-31C9E43352155A44 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Quarries of Scred -- MB-8E653BD8AD732B01 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
BlastZone 2 -- MB-8F7A5ADEDF9CCB95 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
The Blue Flamingo -- MB-A950F365C690DB04 - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
Deadlands Noir - That Old Time Religion -- MB-30FCC6C8F30E7137 - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
TRISTOY -- MB-D4E8C8FA254DB9AD - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.

t1444598827z1.png

tumblr_nvao7spE5u1up1eebo1_500.gif

Arthea

RPG is so subjective nowadays that it became meaningless as an actual genre imho.

it is not subjective and not meaningless, unless you want to live in utter chaos where CoD and Hitman are RPGs. We can't have any categorization at all with this kind of attitude.
RPG is a vast term, as I said we have subgenres for that, if people started using them properly instead of bitching about RPG being too vague of a term, we wouldn't have a problem at all.

It could be classified as a roleplaying game, but not an RPG. Genres are weird. It doesn't help that gaming, in general, is apathetic/averse towards new genre classifications.

Anyways, 'RPG' as a genre only appears meaningless because it encapsulates the most popular gaming mechanic of this era: positive feedback loops (aka level-up mechanics).

Uzzy

Hah, clearing out my spam folder and it turns out that I got accepted to that godforsaken Ghost in the Shell game's beta test. Which took place between the 1st and the 5th of October.

Dodged a bullet there I think.

Arthea

Hah, clearing out my spam folder and it turns out that I got accepted to that godforsaken Ghost in the Shell game's beta test. Which took place between the 1st and the 5th of October.

Dodged a bullet there I think.

This reminded me that I finally got into promised Snow beta (last week), only to find out that they already ruined the game and I no longer want it, oh irony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom