• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

Yeah I found Arkham Knight's ending to be really satisfying
(not talking about the "true" ending :p)
. Loved the direction and atmosphere they established.

Yeah I found Arkham Knight's ending to be really satisfying
(not talking about the "true" ending :p)
. Loved the direction and atmosphere they established.

The part you're referring to was the actually surprising and way better than I expected from Rocksteady. The hyped up aspects of the story all fell short, but I was still pleasantly surprised by that.

Sch1sm

That's what I thought, I was just wondering why people were talking so much about it, I presumed it was easily attainable.

I think there was just a lot of worry when it had hardly cracked 20%, so people are paying a lot of attention to it as the date nears in hopes their investment (or future) hasn't/doesn't go to waste.

Something like that.

I think there was just a lot of worry when it had hardly cracked 20%, so people are paying a lot of attention to it as the date nears in hopes their investment (or future) hasn't/doesn't go to waste.

Something like that.

Makes sense, has a Steam pre-order thing like that every failed? You don't see those tiered pre-orders much anymore.

ExoSoul

Banned

Something like that.

Plus it's quite the upfront investment, I get it that you get the second one free but still...

MUnited83

For you.

Something like that.
I've been telling people that it would have no problem unlocking since like 19%. Damn unbelievers.
Plus it's quite the upfront investment, I get it that you get the second one free but still...

Like 40$ something from Norway, seems a pretty good price for both games!

Remembered I had the first episode of Republique on my iPad (got it free from IGN or somewhere) so I tried it through the opening area...seems interesting enough

I know they put it on PC as Republique Remastered so I may pick it up down the line whenever it gets a good discount

Hugstable

Banned
Undertale was amazing, it's hard to want to start another game after that

plus that genocide run is lingering in the back of my head :-/

fertygo

So I want refund an game, the playtime counter show 95 at library minute of playtime.. but when I go to support page its show 2 hour of playtime (maybe my internet connection screwing up when playing the game). Am I need to worry?

Jawmuncher

So I want refund an game, the playtime counter show 95 at library minute of playtime.. but when I go to support page its show 2 hour of playtime (maybe my internet connection screwing up when playing the game). Am I need to worry?

Just make not that it's only 95 minutes in the text.

So I tried NBA 2K16 out for an hour yesterday.

Started up MyCareer mode and was greeted with Spike Lee telling me how 'real" this year's mode was going to be, all while he looked like he was just there for the money. They start me out in some long-winded cutscene where my character (nicknamed "Freq" - can't change it) and his sister are droning on and on at a basketball court, and I bailed out.

Then I checked out MyTeam mode, which is basically "P2W: The Game". You have to either earn money (two different types of in-game currency) or buy it with real funds to progress anywhere, and there's this RPG-esque collectathon where the object is to gain 2500 trading cards/players so you can get an elite Michael Jordan card or something. My pre-order bonus didn't even work and I didn't have anything to work with.

I just uninstalled it right then and there. Typical microtransaction bullshit.

Anteater

interesting... i've played through these areas before in bioshock, I thought I only played this game for like 5 minutes back in the day

and i'm out of booze

Is it worth getting USF4 having never played a round, at this point? I mean, I'm getting into fighting games spirit again, but is there a way to play people as untrained as me?

Yeah, I wish all of Arkham Knight had been as interesting and original as the last playable section of the game's main story. Game as a whole was missing unique scenarios like that compared to the other three games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, I wish all of Arkham Knight had been as interesting and original as the last playable section of the game's main story. Game as a whole was missing unique scenarios like that compared to the other three games.

haven't played AO or AK but i felt AC suffered in design compared to AA in part because of the expanded scope. do you feel like AK's open world stuff caused the content to suffer?

haven't played AO or AK but i felt AC suffered in design compared to AA in part because of the expanded scope. do you feel like AK's open world stuff caused the content to suffer?
It has the same structure as Arkham City but they really expanded upon the Ubisoft style goals in the game. There are less than 5 unique interior environments in the game(outside of the riddler trials), almost all of the game is set in the open world doing very typical goals. Ie, shutting down the towers and chasing down various nondescript thugs for information. All of this is still fun due to the Arkham series's great mobility and fluid combat but it feels like a much more generic game.

The biggest example of this would be the side missions for me. In City I remember tracking down the Mad Hatter and seeing his unique location which led to a rather lengthy and fun interlude. In Arkham Knight you just chase the various villains around the city, catch them, and then do it again and again until finally you capture them. With one exception none of them have unique locations and it's just so much less interesting than previous games. And amusingly enough despite Scarecrow's presence at the forefront there's nothing comparable to his sequences in previous games. It just feels like a shell of a game for the most part, I mean in previous games with the exception of Origins the bosses were bad but in Knight
there just weren't.....any

I know you said you felt AC suffered in comparison to AA due to the expanded scope and I'd agree but I still felt like they manged to pack in a ton of interesting side quests and diversions that made it unique amongst open world games. Knight is a major step back.

It's just all the more disappointing given how interesting and great the last 30 or so minutes of the game are. I honestly think Origins is the better game and if Rocksteady had put their name on that game it would have been received better than Knight.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished Half-Life 2 tonight. I'm now 100% sure that the FPS genre is my least favorite of the ones I've tried. Not only do I often feel nauseous because of the first person perspective, but I also find shooting enemies completely boring. The RPG would've been fun I guess, if I could aim it for shit. The gravity gun was sort of cool, and I wish the antlion sac wasn't completely useless after a few chapters because I liked sending minions to do my bidding (especially since I didn't enjoy killing shit.) I was thankful that I could skip a lot of encounters just by running through them, because all of those fights were just tedious.

I gave zero shits about the story, and thought the interactive cutscene things were dumb. City 17 was the best setting, and I was glad I could revisit it later in the game. I wasn't a fan of the zombies/headcrabs/alien-esque things. I would've preferred variants of Combine soldiers as the only enemies, really. That might just be because human verse human conflicts are cooler to me than human verse the Other. If I had to name something I enjoyed about this game, the only thing that comes to mind is Alyx. She was pretty cool. Otherwise, eh.

Onto Episode 1 and 2, I guess.

Started up MyCareer mode and was greeted with Spike Lee telling me how 'real" this year's mode was going to be, all while he looked like he was just there for the money. They start me out in some long-winded cutscene where my character (nicknamed "Freq" - can't change it) and his sister are droning on and on at a basketball court, and I bailed out.

Then I checked out MyTeam mode, which is basically "P2W: The Game". You have to either earn money (two different types of in-game currency) or buy it with real funds to progress anywhere, and there's this RPG-esque collectathon where the object is to gain 2500 trading cards/players so you can get an elite Michael Jordan card or something. My pre-order bonus didn't even work and I didn't have anything to work with.

Is the game any good? Haven't bought one since 2k12, was thinking of getting it on sale later.

Anteater

I finally finished Half-Life 2 tonight. I'm now 100% sure that the FPS genre is my least favorite of the ones I've tried. Not only do I often feel nauseous because of the first person perspective, but I also find shooting enemies completely boring. The RPG would've been fun I guess, if I could aim it for shit. The gravity gun was sort of cool, and I wish the antlion sac wasn't completely useless after a few chapters because I liked sending minions to do my bidding (especially since I didn't enjoy killing shit.) I was thankful that I could skip a lot of encounters just by running through them, because all of those fights were just tedious.

I gave zero shits about the story, and thought the interactive cutscene things were dumb. City 17 was the best setting, and I was glad I could revisit it later in the game. I wasn't a fan of the zombies/headcrabs/alien-esque things. I would've preferred variants of Combine soldiers as the only enemies, really. That might just be because human verse human conflicts are cooler to me than human verse the Other. If I had to name something I enjoyed about this game, the only thing that comes to mind is Alyx. She was pretty cool. Otherwise, eh.

Onto Episode 1 and 2, I guess.

For me I think ep1 feels like a rehash of hl2, but it's been a while since i've played it, i ended up skipping it, enjoyed ep2 though, i think the series is like one of those "you have to be there" sorta game to appreciate, it certainly is one of the games that started the cinematic fps genre or whatever you call it that we see today

Josh5890

It sucks how far sports games have fallen over the past couple of generations.

Sch1sm

Don't forget the VC currency needed to upgrade your player in MyCareer. I bought the physical on console, the Jordan edition, and it came with 30000 VC that I used t upgrade, and it didn't even edge my guy past a 70 overall rating. You then don't earn any VC until you're in the NBA, and you only play 11 games your first season. The amount you earn is insignificant compared to the cost of upgrades, so you basically have to purchases VC if you care for that shit.

I think the only thing Spike Lee meant by "real," is that you no longer auto-start in the D-League. The 4 high school games, then the 4 college games. Personally don't see how that's real - I'd have appreciated a longer stint in both. Also robs you of the ability of not being a one-and-done, that is, staying in college beyond a single year before entering the draft. Game has it's flaws. I haven't purchased a 2K before this one in 3 years, I keep that rough increment with them now because there's hardly any changes, but man, lol. While there are some great differences in 2K13 and 2K16, it's a bit bullshit how long the load times are now, too. All these screens inhibiting my ability to actually play basketball.

P.S. Freq
can eventually be changed to Silk, but nothing else.
It's a stupid name, though, I agree. Frequency Vibrations. Who comes up with this stuff? Game looks like a sad BET flick with the amount of little clips and the family/friend dynamic going.

Is it worth getting USF4 having never played a round, at this point? I mean, I'm getting into fighting games spirit again, but is there a way to play people as untrained as me?

IMO you should probably wait till sf4 is on sale or something , not really worth getting at full price at this point, about finding untrained opponents that can be a little difficult considering that most of the people that play these days have at least some knowledge about how to play but at the same time playing with people that are better than you can help you understand the game faster , you just have to deal with losing a lot at first.

If you are looking for a fighting game a little more accesible i would recommend skullgirls ,it has a pretty decent tutorial for the characters, also the netcode is really good.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Just finished episode 2 of Life is Strange. Honestly don't get the Warren hate, hes an adorable dork.

G3qLw6I.jpg

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
For me I think ep1 feels like a rehash of hl2, but it's been a while since i've played it, i ended up skipping it, enjoyed ep2 though, i think the series is like one of those "you have to be there" sorta game to appreciate, it certainly is one of the games that started the cinematic fps genre or whatever you call it that we see today
It's a little disappointing to hear that about Episode 1, but since I already have it installed, I might as well work through it. Half-Life 2 is my first FPS (unless you can count like 10 minutes of Metroid Prime 1) ((I really should start that again one of these days)), and I haven't played many demanding, technologically advanced games, so I feel like I'm a little close to "you had to be there". I dunno if that makes sense though.

dot

You might as well preorder SF5 instead, seeing as how the beta starts in 2 weeks. That's a game where pretty much everyone is untrained in (since it's new and all).

Sch1sm

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Oh man, what an adorable little stalker. thats not ep 2 right? cant believe I didn't notice that if it is.

It is. Looks like the part w
hen you go to print off that email to help those two girls in the dorms end their tiff so you can Warren's USB and leave.

Need help with my Batman AK issue.

I bought the game pretty late, last month via nvidia code off an online friend. The game was successfully redeemed, but I can't install it at all. I've already 'played' it for 8 hours via idle master though.
Does it have something to do with the game not being on the steam store anymore?

fertygo

So the refund going through, felt kinda bad because its seem I won't mind play more of it.. but wallet situation is worse than expected :(

the game is Darkest Dungeon btw, its does have some annoying mechanic,, got hit by random trap that you can't see at all is very annoying, stress point that keep spiking up with so few option to manage it also annoying.

Hopefully the game can be polished to better state when I get back to it because I love the presentation and combat.

Lomax

Need help with my Batman AK issue.

I bought the game pretty late, last month via nvidia code off an online friend. The game was successfully redeemed, but I can't install it at all. I've already 'played' it for 8 hours via idle master though.
Does it have something to do with the game not being on the steam store anymore?

No, not being on the store doesn't matter. Sounds like a client bug, you in the beta? Or maybe it was still "running" in idle master?
So the refund going through, felt kinda bad because its seem I won't mind play more of it.. but wallet situation is worse than expected :(

the game is Darkest Dungeon btw, its does have some annoying mechanic,, got hit by random trap that you can't see at all is very annoying, stress point that keep spiking up with so few option to manage it also annoying.

Hopefully the game can be polished to better state when I get back to it because I love the presentation and combat.

Unfortunately, from the sounds of things, the are just making the game more brutal and unforgiving as development goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom