• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished almost three times that number of games this year alone

feels so good to say that!

also if you'll visit this thread more often, 24 can be your weekly haul, if not more

I visit the thread quite often I'm just a bit of a lurker mostly. Also I can be kinda tight with my money so i don't expect that number to shoot up at 24 games per week. I think that's a bit too optimistic!

aw350

Banned
Some games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (aw350, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rune Classic -- MB-B1F77B15ABB50D7F - Taken by Diedac. 2 entrants total.
Knights and Merchants HD -- MB-6DD5D300783D4AB8 - Taken by Haunted. 2 entrants total.

t1444647909z1.png

That's so surprising that a veteran multiplayer developer of Dice's prestige would have something like that in one of their games.

Lol more like it would be a bigger surprise if they didn't have spawning clusterfucks like that.

Haven't they had similar issues in Battlefield? I know a lot of the CoD games have major issues with spawning. You would think the two biggest FPS franchises would be able to figure this stuff out.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

LEONA'S TRICKY ADVENTURES -- MB-0E79B660B56EA851 - Taken by anastef
SWORD OF ASUMI -- MB-CB6129789974AB98 - Taken by texhnolyze

That's so surprising that a veteran multiplayer developer of Dice's prestige would have something like that in one of their games.

Lol more like it would be a bigger surprise if they didn't have spawning clusterfucks like that.
The dropzone map plays like crap, chaotic like a CoD map but without the flow.

Haven't they had similar issues in Battlefield? I know a lot of the CoD games have major issues with spawning. You would think the two biggest FPS franchises would be able to figure this stuff out.
One team can spawn camp another team in BF when the skill gap is large enough, setting up capture-able thick armored heavy blaster behind spawn is entirely stupid

Uzzy

I really ought to change my avatar back seeing as can't even conjure up the effort to carry on with MGSV right now. This year half of the things I've been looking forward too have been somewhat underwhelming. As long as AssCreed turns out okish then all is well as GTAV, PoE and Witcher III overdelivered for me.

Give him a dapper hat or something else out of AssCreed.

Maniac

Banned
GTA V is the game that I've been the most impressed with when it comes to worldbuilding. The attention to detail and the craft is unparalleled in my opinion. So I definitely think you should get it.:D

Aint got nuttin' on TW3.

And I also feel like the worldbuilding is a massive step back from the likes of San Andreas, atleast when it comes to actual interactivity with said world. It's just pretty damn empty compared to what it easily could've been.
For me I think ep1 feels like a rehash of hl2, but it's been a while since i've played it, i ended up skipping it, enjoyed ep2 though, i think the series is like one of those "you have to be there" sorta game to appreciate, it certainly is one of the games that started the cinematic fps genre or whatever you call it that we see today

They started the emphasis on a story in FPS' with HL1, and expanded heavily upon it in HL2. They surely didn't start the cinematic FPS genre, since they've focused on player agency and not taking the control away from the player instead of being cinematic and shooty-bang-bang. Having "interactable cutscenes" (Which, no, it's not cutscenes, it's just exposition within actual sections of gameplay, darn it!) or rather scripted NPC encounters with full player agency is the direct opposite of "cinematic" FPS'.

Milamber

IF the Zestiria reward ends on 99% or below, I wonder how the fallout on GAF would play through. I imagine a lot of people blaming themselves for not reaching it while a few people here and there saying that it was all a ploy by Bamco to get the preorders but never fulfilling the final one.

They'll probably release Symphonia for $50 later too.

Monooboe

Aint got nuttin' on TW3.

And I also feel like the worldbuilding is a massive step back from the likes of San Andreas, atleast when it comes to actual interactivity with said world. It's just pretty damn empty compared to what it easily could've been.

I'm only 5 hours into TW3 so might be I change my mind. The thing that blew me away with GTA V was all the attention to small details. Sure might not have as much to do as in San Andreas but just the feel of the whole world was impressive.

Jawmuncher

GTA5 is a bore. Rockstar wows everyone by prioritising appearance over gameplay and gets applauded for it, while every other developer would be raked over the coals for that same approach.
i.e.
GTA5's movement? A little sluggish but whatevs. vs The Witcher 3's movement? Patch that shit, gorilla.

They sure know how to spend their budget, however. It's a purdy game. And the car physics/damage stuff are great--I dunno how they always nail that while missing every other gameplay-related thing.

As an upgrade from DS2? No way.

Standalone? I guess. I'd expect it to be half off by Christmas, though.

Don't really get your comparison but to each their own. GTAV I thought was pretty fun and more than made up for GTAIV. Plus the movement is fine, it's just different from the standard since the want it weighted.

Not sorry for double post

Haunted

I think I have finally identified why I could never get into Retro/Grade (a sad "indie dev with heart and passion risked everything to put out this quality product... and got punished hard" story) despite giving it several shots.

The music just fucking sucks. It's too slow, it's very chill, there is a certain rhythm but it's simply not engaging or exciting enough for a colourful space flight rhythm-based game. Maybe it should have had a custom soundtrack option like Beat Hazard, Audiosurf and Soundodger+.

Jawmuncher

Aint got nuttin' on TW3.

First off if we're talking world building for a GTA game you should mention that 4 is where it took a dive. 5 brought it back, maybe not to what you wanted but far better than the previous game. Also with that said I don't think it's fair to compare a game which is supposed to represent "real life" to one which is fantasy. They're going for different things.

Maniac

Banned
First off if we're talking world building for a GTA game you should mention that 4 is where it took a dive. 5 brought it back, maybe not to what you wanted but far better than the previous game. Also with that said I don't think it's fair to compare a game which is supposed to represent "real life" to one which is fantasy. They're going for different things.

I fully concur. It's not exactly the most direct nor logical comparison, although I do feel that TW3 has overall better world-building, but GTAV really did a lot of things much better than GTAIV, which is where it'd kind of gone to shit.

'Cept for the bowling ofcourse.

Milamber

My old faithful Razer Reclusa Keyboard of 8 years is finally showing its age with a broken palm rest. Decided to go out and take a look at non-mechanical gaming keyboards and shit's as expensive as mechanical keyboards. Only thing cheap are the normal keyboards.

I fully concur. It's not exactly the most direct nor logical comparison, although I do feel that TW3 has overall better world-building, but GTAV really did a lot of things much better than GTAIV, which is where it'd kind of gone to shit.

'Cept for the bowling ofcourse.

Well, here's an open question to SteamGAF: instead of better or worse, which team do you think had it harder?

- Witcher 3: has the benefit of providing fantasy setting, which lends itself to leaps of imagination; had a somewhat sparse description of the cities and setting in the books; had to reconcile the easy pitfalls of standard fantasy worldbuilding

- GTA V: modern setting, so there's no end of reference material; opens itself to criticism from anyone with fingers or nubs of fingers to hit up Google Map; had to reconcile authentic urban development and what actually plays better

Arthea

Well, here's an open question to SteamGAF: instead of better or worse, which team do you think had it harder?

- Witcher 3: has the benefit of providing fantasy setting, which lends itself to leaps of imagination; had a somewhat sparse description of the cities and setting in the books; had to reconcile the easy pitfalls of standard fantasy worldbuilding

- GTA V: modern setting, so there's no end of reference material; opens itself to criticism from anyone with fingers or nubs of fingers to hit up Google Map; had to reconcile authentic urban development and what actually plays better

of course the Witcher, creating something from a scratch is always much harder and more time consuming than copying existing, not even a question.

edited: assuming we talk about the same level of detail, of course

96% hype.

Zesty is second bestselling game and we have more than a week to go, you can switch to 100% hype
I hope

Dr Dogg

Main issue i have with GTA V is map. We have huge map but they barely used it.

That's only true if all you did were just the story missions and nothing else. If you got involved with all 3 characters Strangers and Freaks missions, Trevor's bounty, hunting and arms race missions, Michaels 'path to enlightenment' with Kifflom and sewage clean up missions, Franklin's repo missions and that weird dude who wants you to collect spaceship parts, Flight school trials, freaky triathlon lady and probably a fair few I've missed. Do them and you get to see pretty much all of the map various times.

Chirst in GTAV you can do down to the docks first thing in the morning, watch people turn up for work, see them doing their job operating cranes, moving shipping containers, getting on and off boats, watch them get in their car and follow them home if you want. Not quite as routine specific as say Red Dead but you see the world carries on quite happily without your interaction and input. Robberies and shoot outs happen as do car accidents without you stiring them up.

dex3108

That's only true if all you did were just the story missions and nothing else. If you got involved with all 3 characters Strangers and Freaks missions, Trevor's bounty, hunting and arms race missions, Michaels 'path to enlightenment' with Kifflom and sewage clean up missions, Franklin's repo missions and that weird dude who wants you to collect spaceship parts, Flight school trials, freaky triathlon lady and probably a fair few I've missed. Do them and you get to see pretty much all of the map various times.

Chirst in GTAV you can do down to the docks first thing in the morning, watch people turn up for work, see them doing their job operating cranes, moving shipping containers, getting on and off boats, watch them get in their car and follow them home if you want. Not quite as routine specific as say Red Dead but you see the world carries on quite happily without your interaction and input. Robberies and shoot outs happen as do car accidents without you stiring them up.

I think i did all of those Strangers & Freaks missions and many other but still i felt that map is not used properly. But i guess that is the issue when you do OW game in urban setting. Potential on every corner but very little of that potential is realized.

If only you can actually enter every single (or at least most) buildings in GTAV, it'll be the best open world game ever. But no, you can't, and it's totally killing my immersion. There's also only a handful of houses/apartements that you can buy.

Maniac

Banned

I'd hardly say the car accidents are a good thing. They happen constantly, it's so often it becomes comical. I played the trite tennis minigame for a few minutes, and could see cars crashing into eachother with less than a minute inbetween just over the side of the fence. >_<'

Yup, spawned many times right next to an enemy and vice versa. Pretty stupid oversight. They can not be not aware of this issue, so it'll be fixed imo.
Another stupid thing about spawns is that sometimes enemies get spawned behind you when in Walker mode there is a clear direction towards progress. Really got on my nerves when people got me from behind.
This looks interesting.

Sarcasm

It is honestly a good game. This coming from some one who didn't like San Andreas. World feels alive. Online is great if you have friends. Can't believe how much time I put in it. I am a person that has reach a point in my life that if the game can't hold me I drop it like a sack of potatoes, like Saints Row.

And this TW3 vs GTAV world is like apples to oranges.

Maybe it's the whole based on reality thing, but I thought GTA5 had a more interesting world than W3. Not that W3's world was bad, there is just a lot of emptiness between small settlements. Still had a blast exploring it though.

aw350

Banned
Anyone else have some hard to explain prejudice towards RPG Maker games? I don't know how to express it - the moment I see "RPG Maker" in the tags, I immediately think the game (a) is going to lack visuals, and (b) will try to be proud of that and will try to compensate with some pretense at "depth". I didn't even play any RPG Maker games, so that's somewhat irrational - am I missing much by automatically excluding these games from even being considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom