• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Unpopular opinion time! As much as 'tubers get a load of shit or some have rather suspect business partnerships at least the decent ones are actually entrenched in the game they're covering that they have every fact, morsel of info, raft of mechanics, backstory and narrative structure and countless other titbits down to a tee. I was watching a video from one professional outlet yesterday after reading up on some info for the game they were covering beforehand and it was laden with mistakes. Par for the course I guess.

I thought they are supposed to be professionals?

Weeell a professional is only someone who does something for a living. Doesn't mean they're any good at it.

Arthea

to sum it up: yesterday we finally got Capcpom bundle, today we are getting Trails SC release date and Paint it Back, who knows what tomorrow will bring?
let's not forget we are getting Dragon Dogma and Tales on steam, Lightning will return shortly and we just got a good Transformers game.
livingthedream.youtube

we should totally party all day everyday

tee-hee4yakf.gif

dex3108

Unpopular opinion time! As much as'tubers get a load of shit or some have rather suspect business partnerships at least the decent ones are actually entrenched in the game they're covering that they have every fact, morsel of info, raft of mechanics, backstory and narrative structure and countless other titbits down to a tee. I was watching a video from one professional outlet yesterday after reading up on some info for the game they were covering beforehand and it was laden with mistakes. Par for the course I guess.

Weeell a professional is only someone who does something for a living. Doesn't mean they're any good at it.

Youtubers are not bad but they are for sure unreliable when schedule is in question. and beside shady deals they do that is my main issue with them. You can wait for days or weeks after embargo ends to hear they impressions, At least with professionals you know what and when you will get and in most cases content that they put out there is good.

Sure there are situation like this with Uncharted or that one on Polygon where guy complained about Guitar Hero/Rock Band 4 event but they are not that common.

Dr Dogg

Youtubers are not bad but they are for sure unreliable when schedule is in question. and beside shady deals they do that is my main issue with them. You can wait for days or weeks after embargo ends to hear they impressions, At least with professionals you know what and when you will get and in most cases content that they put out there is good.

Sure there are situation like this with Uncharted or that one on Polygon where guy complained about Guitar Hero/Rock Band 4 event but they are not that common.

So you'd rather have spat out to meet a deadline, uninformed and poorly crafted content than well though out, well researched, well reasoned, and played at their own time but slightly latter content? What's the rush? If you're going to preorder you clearly don't care what anyone else thinks and have already made your mind up and any review you're seeking after that is purchase validation. You'd think in the age of dodgy launches and huge day 1 patches people would be craving content that took a more in depth approach even if that meant being a little late to get their thoughts up than to meet some deadline to satisfy impatient people.

The only reason outlets get their piece out fast with the others is if they miss the train they miss the pages views (and I've got plenty of first hand data that shows what happens if you're late to the party in less volatile industries). But that doesn't serve your audience they way it should. You should be letting them know about bugs, about incomplete or rushed games, about problems with balance, about technical performance issues, all of these and more that the vast majority of professional reviews don't because they're under NDA for receiving an early copy to review and the mad rush to get a piece up in and around the deadline (granted because they're usually given fuck all time from the pub). But what do I know?

Arthea

Finished Contradiction yesterday as planned, some thoughts.
I more or less liked it, aside from being way too many unresolved issues for a game like this, and some contradictions you couldn't ask about, the biggest issue was the end tho,
that Rebecca monologue at the end made no sense! Nobody talks like that "no, I didn't kill her I just used a stick to keep her under water, she was breathing but dead anyway", she is not insane, why would she say that instead of sticking to her story that Kate drowned.
I guess unresolved issues are there because they were planning the second part or the sequel right from the start.

edited: btw, I get no keys of any PC gamer and Bundle stars giveaways anymore, after a message "a key is underway", it never arrives. I wonder what's up with that?

Tales of Zestiria -- MB-8C44FAAFBCF2BEC7 - Taken by Zero-Crescent. 104 entrants total.

Congrats Zero-Crescent.

Ignore any sudden and mysterious jabbing pains.

http://i.imgur.com/nuOIZGk.jpg

Hm, I guess these posts do explain the headache I've been having for the past few hours. ;)

Seriously though, it was quite a pleasant surprise to check in after a long day at work to see that I won Zestiria (and Symphonia). I'll be sure to play it when it releases next week, on the release day if they do a pre-load.

ArjanN

to sum it up: yesterday we finally got Capcpom bundle, today we are getting Trails SC release date and Paint it Back, who knows what tomorrow will bring?
let's not forget we are getting Dragon Dogma and Tales on steam, Lightning will return shortly and we just got a good Transformers game.
livingthedream.youtube

we should totally party all day everyday

Also Kero Blaster coming to Steam.

dex3108

So you'd rather have spat out to meet a deadline, uninformed and poorly crafted content than well though out, well researched, well reasoned, and played at their own time but slightly latter content? What's the rush? If you're going to preorder you clearly don't care what anyone else thinks and have already made your mind up and any review you're seeking after that is purchase validation. You'd think in the age of dodgy launches and huge day 1 patches people would be craving content that took a more in depth approach even if that meant being a little late to get their thoughts up than to meet some deadline to satisfy impatient people.

The only reason outlets get their piece out fast with the others is if they miss the train they miss the pages views (and I've got plenty of first hand data that shows what happens if you're late to the party in less volatile industries). But that doesn't serve your audience they way it should. You should be letting them know about bugs, about incomplete or rushed games, about problems with balance, about technical performance issues, all of these and more that the vast majority of professional reviews don't because they're under NDA for receiving an early copy to review and the mad rush to get a piece up in and around the deadline (granted because they're usually given fuck all time from the pub). But what do I know?

To be honest i don't care about reviews in 90% of cases. And even in Youtube circle there are very few people who do their research properly. But one thing that i really appreciate is when things are done in time. It doesn't matter what it is (youtube video, project, construction work...) and in many, many cases Youtubers are missing those deadlines because they take so many jobs/go on so many events that often we don't even hear their opinions/previews/reviews. I am still watching them but i really don't like how they do their things.

And to tell that professional previews/reviews are so bad that they are worthless is nonsense. If you read 2-3 articles about same game you easily can see pros and cons.

I am perfectly fine with forming my own opinion based on all informations i can get. So i don't watch/read previews/reviews to justify anything i do it to get informations. And as soon i get those informations, soon i get to move from that topic. That is why i appreciate things done on time.

Dr Dogg

Wooo! Steam Controller has 'shipped'. Granted with GAME that could mean anything and it's probably just been thrown in a box and dumped somewhere in the back of their warehouse.

To be honest i don't care about reviews in 90% of cases. And even in Youtube circle there are very few people who do their research properly. But one thing that i really appreciate is when things are done in time. It doesn't matter what it is (youtube video, project, construction work...) and in many, many cases Youtubers are missing those deadlines because they take so many jobs/go on so many events that often we don't even hear their opinions/previews/reviews. I am still watching them but i really don't like how they do their things.

And to tell that professional previews/reviews are so bad that they are worthless is nonsense. If you read 2-3 articles about same game you easily can see pros and cons.

I am perfectly fine with forming my own opinion based on all informations i can get. So i don't watch/read previews/reviews to justify anything i do it to get informations. And as soon i get those informations, soon i get to move from that topic. That is why i appreciate things done on time.

Who's deadlines? Yours? If they state 'I'll have a video up on this date' and they miss it then fair enough but if it's just because you've set this arbitrary date in your head that all content for a specific event, release date, when a patch drops has to be up by this point then you're not considering that these people might have other commitments too. Good content, regardless if it's late should always be worth the wait. The whole news, previews, reviews and then onto the next big thing coverage of gaming is really tired, creates this awful sense of urgency that we as consumers shouldn't get swept up in and does help foster this idea that games are disposable.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Counter Strike: Global Offensive now has a clothing line that asks which chicken print you want on your dress

Call yourself a CS:GO fan, do you? Huh. That's interesting, because the fact you're not dressed from head to toe in licensed clothing inspired by popular in-game weapon skins tells a very different story. No, it's cool. I'm sure you're still really good at it.

Which is to say, clothing label Betabrand has just launched an official CS:GO clothing line, in association with Valve. Using official and user-created weapon skins, they're offering multiple designs on jackets, t-shirts, dresses, blouses and more.

Wearing a waterproof jacket bearing the design of your favourite weapon skin might seem like a reasonably niche sartorial proposition, but over 14,000 people have voted on the below design, so what do I know?

There's no word on pricing yet, while the line's still in its voting stage. It's certainly a new take on traditional videogame merch, though it's unclear whether it's intended to pull in a new audience who previously wouldn't have worn the usual XXL black tees with game logos emblazoned on the front, or give those who were previously happy with such offerings a wider choice of garb.

Just when I thought I'd got my head around CS:GO, with its $2000 weapon skins and Darude sound pack, this happens. It's the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?

Would you walk down the street in a chicken shirt? Let us know in the comments below.

MadGear

Just great, the Low Violence version of DmC Humble send out to buyers from germany is actually the japanese version which is supposed to be missing some scenes and only offers japanese menus (some are also reporting of forced japanese subtitles).
Either someone at Capcom or Humble messed up, however its actually an understandable mistake.
Either way, I contacted Humble because I really do want to play the regular version with understandable menus.

Arthea

next step is obvious: costume set dlcs: HL, L4D, Portal, Doto, etc., a gold mine actually

Also Kero Blaster coming to Steam.

I'm not really interested in this game, but good for those interested

How long before Value start making actual hats?

I thought they do already, virtual hats are actual hats, seeing that not many people wear them in rl but all do that in TF2

gelf

Unpopular opinion time! As much as 'tubers get a load of shit or some have rather suspect business partnerships at least the decent ones are actually entrenched in the game they're covering that they have every fact, morsel of info, raft of mechanics, backstory and narrative structure and countless other titbits down to a tee. I was watching a video from one professional outlet yesterday after reading up on some info for the game they were covering beforehand and it was laden with mistakes. Par for the course I guess.
Really depends on the youtuber in question, most channels are full of absolute shit poorly researched "facts". Much like good journalism it really depends on the specific people involved. I don't think you can say one source is better then the other.

Ban Puncher

Today I stared into the abyss.

And t͓hḛ̗ ̧̝͉̺̩̫a̰̪͔̥̠b̸̺͔̼̲̼y̥̻̹ss̳ s͍͈t̸̲̘͕̙͡͠a̷̻̠̩̲̗͉ͅr͓̻̩̱̳̻̀͜͞ȩ̶̴͕̬̦̹̹̲͖̠d̗͜ͅ b̞̻̤̗̙̮̘̣͈͝͡ͅḁ̴̶̣̞̰̦͈̖̩͓̖̩̙̮̮̖̳̘̹͡͞c̶̵̨̬͇̙̠̭̟̥k̸̳͎̩͕͇͓̲͚̥̖͉̣̥͉̲͈̞͟͟͠

zwjQVDw.jpg

Dr Dogg

Really depends on the youtuber in question, most channels are full of absolute shit poorly researched "facts". Much like good journalism it really depends on the specific people involved. I don't think you can say one source is better then the other.

Hence why I said 'at least the decent ones'. I think it goes without saying on a platform where quality control is nonexistant and the point of entry is even lower than before to self publish you're going to have search out what works for you (much like the Steam storefront these days). But it just highlights a glaring problem with most outlets these days trying to cover too many titles.

Hektor

Today I stared into the abyss.

And t͓hḛ̗ ̧̝͉̺̩̫a̰̪͔̥̠b̸̺͔̼̲̼y̥̻̹ss̳ s͍͈t̸̲̘͕̙͡͠a̷̻̠̩̲̗͉ͅr͓̻̩̱̳̻̀͜͞ȩ̶̴͕̬̦̹̹̲͖̠d̗͜ͅ b̞̻̤̗̙̮̘̣͈͝͡ͅḁ̴̶̣̞̰̦͈̖̩͓̖̩̙̮̮̖̳̘̹͡͞c̶̵̨̬͇̙̠̭̟̥k̸̳͎̩͕͇͓̲͚̥̖͉̣̥͉̲͈̞͟͟͠

Anyone else seeing that? I think i got a virus.

L.O.R.D

Anyone else seeing that? I think i got a virus.

what are you talk̀̎͐̆i̊̈ͣ͌ͤ̚͢͟n̶̂͛̾̅͟g̢͋ͧ͊͐͡ ̡̢̓̒̄ͯ̒̿͊àͨ͗̊ͭͪ͆ͯ͝b̶̃̑͋͐͋͘oͮǫ͌͝ŏ̸̵̈́ͥ̈́ͤ͂̒ò̴̧̐̉̓͑ͪ̀ͩoͧ̓ͦ̓͢ŭt̴̋̅̽́ ̨ͤ̄̑̓ͩ͢.͒̈́̿ͤ̃͏.ͣ̈̈́̄̏ͯ̀.̇͒ͪͩ̃ͩ͢͞͞o̓h͌͏̷ ̴̧̿̀ͣ̏̕ġͦ͛͠ơ̧͂͋͌̉͑̽̅̿͞s͑ͪ͂̉͜h͛͗̔͘ ̸̄

Xanathus

Just wanna say that I'd buy Borderlands Pre-sequel & Season Pass if it went on even just a 50% sale right now. 2K are you listening?

aw350

Banned
Paint it Back unlocks in 6 hours, instead you talk about all kind of irrelevant stuff, what's wrong with you, people?

Let's talk about Paint it Back.

Even before it is out, I want it to have a series of DLCs (some might be paid for) with additional levels. One thing in phone games I am feeling jealous about is how many levels some of them have - I know that quantity <> quality, etc, but still, whenever I see something like "700+ levels with more added every month / week", my heart starts pounding.

Arthea

Let's talk about Paint it Back.

Even before it is out, I want it to have a series of DLCs (some might be paid for) with additional levels. One thing in phone games I am feeling jealous about is how many levels some of them have - I know that quantity <> quality, etc, but still, whenever I see something like "700+ levels with more added every month / week", my heart starts pounding.

but it has the endless mode already, that could mean there is some sort of random puzzle generator, also they can add workshop support and there will be enough user made levels in that case.
What I mean, dlcs is not the only way to achieve that.

Today is a good day.

so Styx is a better version of AssCreed?
I think I haven't bought the first one yet, tell me what's so good about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom