• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

This is all Arthea's fault.

ZdqUocD.png

Not only are the robots fighting back, they're making me hungry

A Focus game with a bigger budget seems quite odd to me. But hey they know their market very well.

yuraya

"We were hoping to actually create some sort of panic with some of the devices we were talking about and it is really a shame that it’s not happening. When you ask about how things operate, that makes no f**king sense at all that that game is not happening. Makes no f**king sense at all."

lol Konami

Del Toro sounds really upset.

Dr Dogg

Sillent Hills would have been riddled with microtransactions anyway. 100 SH Points for a battery for your flashlight, 2000 SH Points to make the door open quicker, 5000 SH Points to have Pyramid Head in a sexy bikini costume.

sure, blame poor discriminated robots that don't even eat! unless you find electricity appetizing.

I'm pretty sure by saying 'it's all Arthea's fault' I blamed you :p

Ban Puncher

Whatever rises from PT's ashes will be a bajillion times better than whatever the original could of hoped to be with the Silent Hill albatross around it's neck and Konami sticking their greedy hands in your pocket.

Arthea

Sillent Hills would have been riddled with microtransactions anyway. 100 SH Points for a battery for your flashlight, 2000 SH Points to make the door open quicker, 5000 SH Points to have Pyramid Head in a sexy bikini costume.

I'm pretty sure by saying 'it's all Aretha's fault' I blamed you :p

let's not get distracted from the real meaning of your post here

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Rise of Incarnates - Notice of Service Termination

Thank you for using "RISE OF INCARNATES."
We must regretfully inform all users of the closure of "RISE OF INCARNATES.” We offer our sincere thanks to everyone who has supported this game . We will be keeping the servers open until December 15, 2015, so please continue to enjoy “RISE OF INCARNATES” until the very end.

The service closure schedule is as follows:
-October 14, 2015: IP will no longer be available for purchase
-December 15, 2015: Last day to play.

*"IP" already purchased may be used until the very last day, so if you have “IP” in your account, please use it before December 15, 2015.
*The dates and times given above may be changed without prior notice and may vary depending on your region.

Please continue to enjoy "RISE OF INCARNATES" over the time remaining until service closure.
Should there be any further updates, we will provide notice via this page or the application's operating information.

[Important] Notice of Termination of Sales of "IP"
Thank you for using "RISE OF INCARNATES".
In accordance with the service closure schedule, "IP" is no longer available for purchase as of today, Octoberber 14, 2015.
"IP" already purchased may be used until the very last day, so if you have IP in your account, please use them before December 15, 2015.
Please continue to enjoy "RISE OF INCARNATES" over the time remaining until service closure.

All Characters Going Free
As noted above, now that "RISE OF INCARNATES" is coming to an end, starting on October 14, 2015, all characters will be free to play until service concludes.

Across The Board Price Reduction On All Items (Including Some Going Free)
With "RISE OF INCARNATES" coming to an end, starting on October 14, 2015, all customize items, boost items, and other such paid items will be reduced in price, with some going down to free, until service concludes.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bernie Needs Love -- MB-F95828B0437A47BF - Taken by bobnowhere

aw350

Banned
On the front page of Steamdb there's a "fun fact" regarding the total sum one'd have to pay in order to get all items sold on Steam. Right now, it's reading $78k. That's quite an interesting number.

Some napkin math, no idea how accurate, comments welcome:

1. I am not interested in apps, just games. That said, most of Steam is probably games (have no idea, that's a gut feeling). Let's say, apps are $8k. $70k left.

2. Let's say I forfeit being able to play games while they are new and commit to only buying games which are at least a year old. That removes the most expensive year. I'd roughly estimate that to be around $20k. $50k left.

3. Let's say I want to keep up with Steam in that I am after each and every game except those issued less than a year ago. Every year I only have to buy games issued between (today - 2 years) and (today - 1 year). Going from $50k in the previous step, this looks like something around $10k a year.

Sum total, if I were to keep up with Steam, just buying everything after waiting a year, this would cost around $1k a month. Divide by 2-3 for places like South America or Russia. I am a bit surprised in that the number does not look all that big. The obvious elephant in the room is that Steam will likely grow and this number can easily skyrocket. But right now, it doesn't look scary. And if you filter out obvious BS, perhaps you can further divide it by a factor of 3-4... (having everything worthy for $1000 / 3 for region / 3 for not buying BS = $100 a month? doesn't sound half-bad).

JaseC / other people with huge collections, are the computations above about right or did I miss something important?

FloatOn

my redhead ex gf is in scotland currently. so jelly

but the relevant thing is I'm beyond hyped for that friday the 13th game. really hope it gets funded. did we talk about this yesterday?

Arthea

On the front page of Steamdb there's a "fun fact" regarding the total sum one'd have to pay in order to get all items sold on Steam. Right now, it's reading $78k. That's quite an interesting number.

Some napkin math, no idea how accurate, comments welcome:

1. I am not interested in apps, just games. That said, most of Steam is probably games (have no idea, that's a gut feeling). Let's say, apps are $8k. $70k left.

2. Let's say I forfeit being able to play games while they are new and commit to only buying games which are at least a year old. That removes the most expensive year. I'd roughly estimate that to be around $20k. $50k left.

3. Let's say I want to keep up with Steam in that I am after each and every game except those issued less than a year ago. Every year I only have to buy games issued between (today - 2 years) and (today - 1 year). Going from $50k in the previous step, this looks like something around $10k a year.

Sum total, if I were to keep up with Steam, just buying everything after waiting a year, this would cost around $1k a month. Divide by 2-3 for places like South America or Russia. I am a bit surprised in that the number does not look all that big. The obvious elephant in the room is that Steam will likely grow and this number can easily skyrocket. But right now, it doesn't look all that big. And if you filter out obvious BS, perhaps you can divide it by a factor of 3-4 more...

JaseC / other people with huge collections, are the computations above about right or did I miss something important?

I'm kinda not qualified, as I never was able to keep up with steam, nor I was trying, but only buying all games I want I used to spend above 100€ a month on games (most discounted heavily too), until I was pointed out repeatedly how ridiculous it is, as I never was able to play all those games by the time I bought new. So I toned down somehwat, but! I'm pretty sure Jasec used to spend more than that monthly and he just recently caught up with steam by starting collecting in 2012? or was it 2013? He'll correct that. So what I was trying to say, sales is the answer, 1K number is probably correct if you don't wait for discount, but if you do, it's probably closer to 200-300 a month.

I still believe.

you know how that will end, don't you?

every single time

aw350

Banned
I'm kinda not qualified, as I never was able to keep up with steam, nor I was trying, but only buying all games I want I used to spend above 100€ a month on games (most discounted heavily too), until I was pointed out repeatedly how ridiculous it is, as I never was able to play all those games by the time I bought new. So I toned down somehwat, but! I'm pretty sure Jasec used to spend more than that monthly and he just recently caught up with steam by starting collecting in 2012? or was it 2013? He'll correct that. So what I was trying to say, sales is the answer, 1K number is probably correct if you don't wait for discount, but if you do, it's probably closer to 200-300 a month.

Yes, there's obviously a huge upfront expense (or long ramp up time during which you are spending more) to catch up with everything Steam already has, but once you are there...

And, like you say, if we try to buy *every* game with a discount - opposite to the Steamdb figure which is just a snapshot, ie, some games are discounted, but most aren't / the discounts aren't big - it's even less.

I hear the point on never being able to play all these games, though. It's true. :)

Arthea

Not going to feign excitement for another genre I don't like. Well, maybe I will if you ask nicely, but you'll probably get a post seething with sarcasm. ;)
wait, you don't like puzzle games at all, no kind? Even puzzles in non puzzle games that have them?

No, I just don't like picross. I would consider it it's own genre of sorts. Could be a sub-genre, depending on how you look at it.

To further agitate you this morning, since I'm grumpy at being awake long before my normal timeframe, I will add that this applies to "minesweeper"-esque games as well, which is why I haven't really given the hexcell games a go despite all the raving about them in here.

Puzzles are fine... so long as they're not ridiculously obtuse. :3

no worries, it's fine, you don't have to like everything, I don't like permadeth for example, not anymore anyway.

nonograms are really fun tho and not obtuse, pure logic.

wait, you don't like puzzle games at all, no kind? Even puzzles in non puzzle games that have them?

No, I just don't like picross. I would consider it it's own genre of sorts. Could be a sub-genre, depending on how you look at it.

To further agitate you this morning, since I'm grumpy at being awake long before my normal timeframe, I will add that this applies to "minesweeper"-esque games as well, which is why I haven't really given the hexcell games a go despite all the raving about them in here.

Puzzles are fine... so long as they're not ridiculously obtuse. :3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I didn't start collecting until the end of the Summer Sale of 2012, but I use the term loosely since I didn't have much money to spare at the time. These days I spend about $100-$150 per week. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but generally somewhere around that ballpark.

Arthea

Arthea what the hell is that avatar and why is it not a waifu?

glad you asked, it's Ring Nebula and you can consider Nebulae my waifus if you want.

here is a good res pic

I didn't start collecting until the end of the Summer Sale of 2012, but I use the term loosely since I didn't have much money to spare at the time. These days I spend about $100-$150 per week. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but generally somewhere around that ballpark.

yeah, but you don't wait for deeper discounts anymore, I think you used to before, or I'm misremembering things.

aww
maybe later they'll change their mind

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
yeah, but you don't wait for deeper discounts anymore, I think you used to before, or I'm misremembering things.

That's true to a degree, but I've pretty much run out of cheap games to buy on a whim, and now that I've hit 6k there's not much of a desire there to buy cheap games just because they're cheap.

That's true to a degree, but I've pretty much run out of cheap games to buy on a whim, and now that I've hit 6k there's not much of a desire there to buy cheap games just because they're cheap.

It must be pretty rough when you've hit such a high number because essentially your next milestone is 7k and that's a long ways away. So I imagine just buying games that add +1 or +10 are difficult to care about.

I'm only around 1k and I'm only ever considering the next 100 games to be a milestone as far as a collection goes.

aw350

Banned

Thanks for that, this seems to line up with my napkin math up the thread, give or take. Great.

Your waifu is comprised of ejected gas and debris remains?

We all are that way on the atomic level. Just particles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom