• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

cf47d61c71.gif

That dude got no butt.

Lomax

I'd probably pay $12 a month if it guaranteed me every humble weekly BTA bundle. But a blind batch of "never bundled games" just means a batch of "gonna be bundled before long games." It's just staggeringly unlikely that they will deliver a $12 bundle every month that is worthwhile. Maybe if it includes 8-10 games, but it will probably be 4-5 games with one high profile new-ish (ie Grimrock II) game each month.

Jawmuncher

I'd probably pay $12 a month if it guaranteed me every humble weekly BTA bundle. But a blind batch of "never bundled games" just means a batch "gonna be bundled before long games." It's just staggeringly unlikely that they will deliver a $12 bundle every month that is worthwhile. Maybe if it includes 8-10 games, but it will probably be 4-5 games with one high profile new-ish (ie Grimrock II) game each month.

Yeah that is the biggest issue. If it gets bundled once, it'll more than likely get bundled again.

I'm sorry but I need to own this man game of mens.

Now that I think about it, when you say VO is 75% complete, does this mean that characters that currently have VO are 100% complete while others are at 0% or is it a mix, for whatever reason, where various characters have varying levels of VO-completeness? If the former, are the 0% characters less-important members of the supporting cast or minor NPCs like merchants or whatever? If so, that's not so bad, but even the latter situation wouldn't be too jarring as long as all of the more important/lengthy bits were voiced. Again, my opinion may be in the minority relative to a wider audience, but as an older gamer, many (if not most) of the games I've played were partially/completely unvoiced, so it really would be a fairly minor issue to me -- far from a deal-breaker.

I'm going to wait. I just had a brain fart brought on by anxiety.

But yes, it is a 100% vs. 0% situation.

yuraya

Today is a really shitty day.

Played Spelunky to get my mind away. Got tons of lives buy luckily killing a bee queen and tons of bombs. Got to 3-3, jumping right to the exit. And getting kicked into the Abyss.

Today is a really shitty day and playing is not changing a damn.

If Spelunky can't cheer you up nothing can ;)

Also those ice caves are the worst thing ever. I'll never forget the bs I went through in that 3rd world. Once I had such a good run going. Like nearly 1 million gold + 40 bombs + Jetpack + 20 ropes + many lives. Out of nowhere those flying bomb things bumped into something and crashed right into me in the beginning when you spawn. Just like that I was dead n lost everything. Over an hour wasted. I raged so hard never returned to the game after that.

Mikurden

I'm going to wait. I just had a brain fart brought on by anxiety.

But yes, it is a 100% vs. 0% situation.

Ok, yeah, now that I see that one of the Greenlight bullet point features is "Full voice cast of 68 characters!", that's probably a good idea. Game does look cool, though.

Saty

The point-and-click genre is fine. But Armikrog does have its technical issues. I haven't played it yet but the puzzle difficulty seems to be exactly what I'm wanting.

It really isn't. At best you have 'serviceable' games coming mostly from Europe. And then you have this crowdfunded titles by all the greats of the past falling again and again on their faces, revealing how out of touch they are now with, if not what makes a P&C title good, what makes it bad.
Good P&C games today shouldn't have unskippable conversations, pixel hunting or the absence of item-highlighting function, random and nonsensical puzzle design, arbitrary single-solutions and so forth.

The problem is that instead of taking the genre and deepening the mechanics and gameplay, these games strip it back even further and hollowing it out. They are turning to be more interactive narratives than proper adventure games. Part of it is the Walking Dead influence; part of it is game design made to fit mobile.

P&C developers need to stop and think.

Tizoc

Oh, boy. P&C developers need a wake up call and re-think this genre.

Based off what? A negative review of 1 game?
The flaws and issues Armikrog launched with are indeed bad, though I'd say the biggest issue is the fact that it doesn't have a good UI
How many PnC games have you played so far this year?

The point-and-click genre is fine. But Armikrog does have its technical issues. I haven't played it yet but the puzzle difficulty seems to be exactly what I'm wanting.

Agreed, and as I posted it's just the UI being it's main drawback, but luckily there isn't THAT much to interact with in a screen but even then it'd be better to KNOW via the mouse/cursor what can be interacted with.

Phinor

How do I prevent Windows 10 from just restarting out of the blue. Just happened to me. Not even a prompt.

I've had that happen twice in the last three weeks, actually losing some unsaved stuff etc. I don't think it's Windows update, at least it didn't update anything and nothing in the update history during those two days.

If that wasn't enough, Windows update actually reboots my computer while I'm using it even though I've specifically changed the settings to NOT do anything automatically. Other than the spying/tracking stuff, this is the worst feature in Windows 10. I can't believe they made a feature that just reboots your computer while you are actively using it, a feature that doesn't care if you have unsaved work open.

Tizoc

It really isn't. At best you have 'serviceable' games coming mostly from Europe. And then you have this crowdfunded titles by all the greats of the past falling again and again on their faces, revealing how out of touch they are now with, if not what makes a P&C title good, what makes it bad.
Broken Age was fine, if it were released during the 80s or 90s era y'all would be praising it about as much as the Monkey Island and Broken Sword games.
Good P&C games today shouldn't have unskippable conversations, pixel hunting or the absence of item-highlighting function, random and nonsensical puzzle design, arbitrary single-solutions and so forth.
Aside from pixel hunting and there being 1 way to solve puzzles, all of that IS in recent PnC games that are similar to PnC games of the past decades.
The problem is that instead of taking the genre and deepening the mechanics and gameplay, these games strip it back even further and hollowing it out. They are turning to be more interactive narratives than proper adventure games. Part of it is the Walking Dead influence; part of it is game design made to fit mobile.

Why fit game design to work on mobile when the game design of the old PnC games would work fine on a mobile anyways? You can play the OG Monkey Island 1 and 2 games on an iPad or iPhone for example.

As much as I'd like to see the PnC adventure genre take the next step, the issue comes with the cost of development and time invested in making Adventure games be open ended in its progression.

Personally if a PnC or Adventure game game can offer a good fun story or adventure then that's what matters, as interesting it would be to be able to solve puzzles with different methods, it'd need to keep the player interested in replaying it for that.

Wok

I've had that happen twice in the last three weeks, actually losing some unsaved stuff etc. I don't think it's Windows update, at least it didn't update anything and nothing in the update history during those two days.

If that wasn't enough, Windows update actually reboots my computer while I'm using it even though I've specifically changed the settings to NOT do anything automatically. Other than the spying/tracking stuff, this is the worst feature in Windows 10. I can't believe they made a feature that just reboots your computer while you are actively using it, a feature that doesn't care if you have unsaved work open.

It happened to me on Windows 7 earlier today.

Well, I definitely disagree with you on the Kickstarter games. I've been thoroughly happy with all of them, although I haven't played Moebius. But Broken Age, Broken Sword 5, Tesla Effect are some of the best I've played in recent years.

And we have different ideas of what makes a game in this genre good. I want annoying pixel hunting and puzzles that make absolutely no sense. Those are some of my personal favorite qualities in this genre and would hate to see them go away completely.

If anything, I think the genre is becoming too dumbed down. It's rare for a game in this genre to provide a good challenge and when it happens it's usually just a puzzle or two.

Just got back, got myself a trade, got myself a badge. Thanks for the link again, madjoki!

In other news, does anyone want a 50% off Alan Wake coupon? FISHING CAN BE A HOBBY OR A JOB!

FloatOn

wasn't there some fuckery with broken age? like the second half will never get released or something?

I'm also kind of tempted by cities skylines but I don't have my desk set up. I'm still on the comfy couch so it's not really practical

wasn't there some fuckery with broken age? like the second half will never get released or something?

I'm also kind of tempted by cities skylines but I don't have my desk set up. I'm still on the comfy couch so it's not really practical
It got divided into two parts

Second part is supposedly not as well done as the first.

Caerith

the second half was released months ago. i'm sure there was some fuckery but not nearly as much as people doomsaid there'd be.

Tizoc

Shit puzzles, shit controls, shit gameplay? Stellar art design and animation?

I'll watch it on Youtube.

Nah the puzzles in Armikrog at the start at least require some exploration and some memorization to solve them.
So far they aren't that difficult and follow a simple method to solve.
Controls aren't shit; they just don't have a proper UI.

Tizoc

Only four days left until the #IndivisibleRPG Indiegogo campaign starts!
Conjure us up some good luck, Razmi and Bom!

That is some sweet animation, looking forward to the IG campaign but
How come they're not using Kickstarter? Why indiegogo?

Lain

Only four days left until the #IndivisibleRPG Indiegogo campaign starts!
Conjure us up some good luck, Razmi and Bom!

I guess I'll have to create some account over there to fund it. Best part of this project though is that we'll get to actually try the game/prototype. Great way to convince people to give you money: showing some of the goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom