• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is a load of money. They made a shit ton more back, so good for them the investment paid off. Really crazy when I think about the first game. Some aspects impressive but it never felt triple-a. Very nice to see how the studio evolved.
IIRC that amount included money that went into marketing, the actual development cost should be less.
Another Adventure Time game?
A new game and you don't sound excited at all! What did you do to the real JaseC?

Ban Puncher

Wizzle wozzle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Strider -- MB-AC04F2B60B7D5CD2 - Taken by Saty
Bionic Commando: Rearmed -- MB-F89ED1B7D537FB16 - Taken by ThirtyFour

Corpekata

Banned
I'm open to hearing how we should describe the tropes that turn us off about this subset of games.

Whatever it is its not xenophobic to not be into it as I was responding to.

Jesus Christ, now it's Xenophobic to dislike anime?

You were correct, his claim was patently ridiculous and reeks of a persecution complex.

Purkake4

Banned
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/PC-Does-what-640x317.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/pc-industry-takes-on-apple-with-cringing-pc-does-what-ad-campaign/"]STEAM | November 2015 - PC does whaaat?[/URL][/QUOTE]
Perfection

Gumbie

Anyone else having trouble with Steam at the moment? Trying to buy steam link/controller and keep getting this error

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

I've tried off and on for the past 45 minutes.

Arthea

How it xenophobic? It's just not liking a certain art direction and/or story focus. I fucking love a lot of Japanese games its just that very few of those games look overly anime.

Am I anti American/Western too for not liking the standard fantasy eleves and orcs stuff too?

what do you think xenophobia is? It is dislike of foreign things or cultures and their manifestations or people or their influence. Often irrational dislike, which people manage to rationalize when it suits them.
Anime is no more art direction or style than painting is, it's a form of art that has many styles and as any living art form it's constantly changing including those styles. It's not story focus either.
Nobody likes everything, that's a moot point, we all have our dislikes and phobias, I was just pointing out that's hardly something to brag or be proud about, especially considering human history and mistakes we already made many times over because of that.

Arthea pls

rhnTF5JSqYLmM.gif

Phawx

Another Adventure Time game?

Adventures Times

Edit: I have noticed lately that "Not liking" == "Hating" to a group of people. Many words are either being merged or watered down.

Edit edit: That is to say, "Hate" is a very strong word and, for many people, it seems to be a weak work. Like something that is casually done.

Messiah

what do you think xenophobia is? It is dislike of foreign things or cultures and their manifestations or people or their influence. Often irrational dislike, which people manage to rationalize when it suits them.
Anime is no more art direction or style than painting is, it's a form of art that has many styles and as any living art form it's constantly changing including those styles. It's not story focus either.
Nobody likes everything, that's a moot point, we all have our dislikes and phobias, I was just pointing out that's hardly something to brag or be proud about, especially considering human history and mistakes we already made many times over because of that.

8da.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
CVYPT6g.gif

Phawx

Do you guys think STEAMGaf is capable of having this conversation?

Hahaha. I laughed at my desk.

Edit: As an aside, I don't agree with Arthea, I find all of the "stop posting" gifs directed at Arthea being a bit harsh. I think it is possible to agree to disagree. Also to realize that sometimes people don't have quite the same definition of a word that you may have.

Also text doesn't have any inflection so sometimes things can come off the wrong way even though there isn't any malice.

Edit edit: What I meant about the "stop posting" gifs, is that it's coming across as dog-piling and Arthea may feel like he is being attacked.

We're all cool here.

Chariot

You got that wrong.

Hating anime or anime style can of course have it's origin in xenophobia. I am sure some people hate it just because it's foreign. However, it isn't the necessary reason. Remember, japanese can hate anime too, which would be the weirdest xenophobia. Anime and anime style are connected to certain tropes and expectations, because the mainstream anime is reinforcing them. Like youthful protagonists or moe antics like being very clumsy (thehehe~). While it does not hold true for every anime or anime style product, it is a reasonable expectation that can lead to people disliking it thanks for the commonly used tropes.

wilflare

Wow, that is a load of money. They made a shit ton more back, so good for them the investment paid off. Really crazy when I think about the first game. Some aspects impressive but it never felt triple-a. Very nice to see how the studio evolved.

Earth Defense Force 2 & Earth Defense Force 4.1 are also coming? Totally missed those yesterday. Awesome.

eh I don't think XSEED mentioned that those EDF games are coming to Steam/PC
for now at least

Arthea

Today I learned that not liking art from a certain region makes you a xenophobe.

I said I'll stop, but I lied

lemme explain it to you:
I don't like the red colour for example, do I hate it? No. Do I go around telling everyone I hate it? No. Does it stop me from buying games that have red colour in it? No. Do I post about it every day? Not even once. Do I insist that red colour is wrong or bad or trash? No. Do I ask you not to post anything with red? No.
See the difference of not liking something and disliking or hating it to the point of phobia?

Phawx

lemme explain it to you:
I don't like the red colour for example, do I hate it? No. Do I go around telling everyone I hate it? No. Does it stop me from buying games that have red colour in it? No. Do I post about it every day? Not even once. Do I insist that red colour is wrong or bad or trash? No. Do I ask you not to post anything with red? No.
See the difference of not liking something and disliking or hating it to the point of phobia?

I believe this is a good example of missing the forest for the trees. Ironically, you could claim that for the other party.

I personally believe you're looking too deeply into it.

FLD

eh I don't think XSEED mentioned that those EDF games are coming to Steam/PC
for now at least

Yeah, those were announced earlier this summer, around the same time as Cold Steel, I think. I don't remember their specific platforms but I'm pretty sure none of them are PC.

Corpekata

Banned
So what do you call the guy that REALLY likes red and gets insanely defensive anytime anyone says "Y'know, I don't really like red that much"

Arthea

I believe this is a good example of missing the forest for the trees. Ironically, you could claim that for the other party.

I personally believe you're looking too deeply into it.
or you are missing said forest for the trees?
or maybe aren't looking into it deep enough? It goes both ways, you know

OK, now I'm really done, relax, steamgaf

Sch1sm

Can't we just talk about games? Steam, Steam games, Steam, more Steam games, buying Steam games, not playing Steam games. Playing Steam games and hating them but playing anyway because you purchased it.

Last one is me. Majority of what I've played the last month has been TT, which is masochistic in and of itself. What have you been playing? Anything interesting? Any releases this month the rest of us haven't noticed? :")

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
chickens, all of you, OK I'll stop, happy now?

I said I'll stop, but I lied

lemme explain it to you:
HiD4z.gif

Khilandros

So begins the comfy weeb/anime gaming season for me

Tales of Zestiria on Oct 20
Mugen Souls on Oct 22
NepNep 3 on Oct 30.

My wallet will hate me, but my warm blanket will be there to comfort me.

Also, I think it just started raining and hailing outside here in Toronto, bye bye warm weather.

Sch1sm

So begins the comfy weeb/anime gaming season for me

Tales of Zestiria on Oct 20
Mugen Souls on Oct 22
NepNep 3 on Oct 30.

My wallet will hate me, but my warm blanket will be there to comfort me.

Also, I think it just started raining and hailing outside here in Toronto, bye bye warm weather.

Lots of games. May as well say bye to us now. You've disappointed plenty by not listing LiS Episode 5 on the 20th, though, JUST SAYING. You should buy that, too. Your wallet will recover eventually.

Supposed to snow tomorrow, too. It was good while it lasted, eh? :")

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm almost done with Mad Max (I'll probably finish it on Sunday) and there's still a month to go until AssCreed 2015. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom