• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
CSGO's drops are purely cosmetic, completely irrelevant to the actual game.

TF2's drops actually add little abilities to your character that fundamentally change play style. For example, there might be a gun that allows you to move faster and jump higher, but drops your health and damage significantly. It ends up working out as you are still perfectly competitive with the default weapons.

It's been a while since I played TF2, but when I was playing the skins were thought out to the point where the drops significantly changed the way you'd play a character.

For example, the Dead Ringer and the Ambassador for the spy changed the character to the point that you could abandon stealth and stabs all together and play a rush in, headshot, duck out style. But it never made the default spy irrelevant. The Claymore is another example of a total character overhaul.

To me, if the drops don't follow that line of thought, they better just be purely cosmetic. Even the appearance of imbalance in a multiplayer game is enough to start killing it.

How do you move a window position with borderless gaming? I want to center it. It is all the way to the upper left.

^b-team can't into lore so they borrow from ds1 ;))))))))))))))

Can't you bring back most outside of old games with cloud saves? Better than nothing.
A decent amount hopefully, and it's not like I would have gone back to 95% of those games anyway :p

Computer is officially back in running shape, now to go download a billion drivers and make steam recognize all of my games. Exciting times.

Haven't seen the default steam client in so long, weird!

Edit: Luckily steam seems to have easily recognized all of my games this time, everything is installed!

I actually probably will skip 2 and go to straight to 3 when it comes out really.

for all the shit thrown at it, 2 is a really good game that it just doesn't compare to ds1. Not in lore, not in the world, not in bosses until the DLC.

Also From hates magic builds so good full melee. One DLC boss has like resistance to all magic.

ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png

Also can someone anwser me my question about borderless gaming? It is bothering the fuck out of me. Yes, I noob at this.

Deitus

for all the shit thrown at it, 2 is a really good game that it just doesn't compare to ds1. Not in lore, not in the world, not in bosses until the DLC.

Also From hates magic builds so good full melee. One DLC boss has like resistance to all magic.

I haven't played DS2 since before most of the big patches, but did they nerf magic builds that hard? Because in vanilla DS2 they were straight up dominant. Magic builds were crazy overpowered when I played.

I haven't played DS2 since before most of the big patches, but did they nerf magic builds that hard? Because in vanilla DS2 they were straight up dominant. Magic builds were crazy overpowered when I played.

Faith builds were hit the hardest when taking offensive into account. Since it was ez mode PvE. I was never too into pvp in both ds1 and ds2 so I can't answer that.

DLC enemies have a lot of resistance to all types of magic.

Dsyndrome

Lightning bolts now don't do a goddamn thing, it's like From went out of their way to nerf faith builds.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png

Also can someone anwser me my question about borderless gaming? It is bothering the fuck out of me. Yes, I noob at this.
Well I had it pre-ordered initially but all the graphics hubbub just made me cancel my the order and never really seemed interested to get it after that unless I got it really cheap.
I think I just lost faith because of all the shadiness surrounding that. Also never use magic in any of the souls games.

FloatOn

I was a ds2 hater until I did scholar of the first sin with a friend. The improvements made a difference and the game is much more fun cooperatively than solo as the game loves throwing huge mobs at you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was a ds2 hater until I did scholar of the first sin with a friend. The improvements made a difference and the game is much more fun cooperatively than solo as the game loves throwing huge mobs at you.

Not really into co-oping with people so that probably turned me off more after the fact.

Deitus

Faith builds were hit the hardest when taking offensive into account. Since it was ez mode PvE. I was never too into pvp in both ds1 and ds2 so I can't answer that.

DLC enemies have a lot of resistance to all types of magic.

Lightning bolts now don't do a goddamn thing, it's like From went out of their way to nerf faith builds.

Ah yes, I remember hearing about the lightning nerfs. I didn't realize that the DLC was so heavily anti-magic though. It's just interesting to hear that they swung so heavily on balance, rather than finding a midpoint between "magic is straight up broken" and "don't bother using magic."

Well I had it pre-ordered initially but all the graphics hubbub just made me cancel my the order and never really seemed interested to get it after that unless I got it really cheap.
I think I just lost faith because of all the shadiness surrounding that. Also never use magic in any of the souls games.

I mean DS2 doesn't look as good as the preview footage (mostly the lighting, but some textures were downgraded as well), but it still looks comparable to DS1 (which was never a looker in a technical sense). There are some fantastic looking areas in DS2, and some really weak areas, but the same applies for DS1.

It would have been nice if they had come out and said "hey, we had to go back and lower the graphical quality to get good performance," but what game developer has ever actually said that right before releasing?

Meanwhile, the game plays great, though I do have a few gripes with some choices they made. It's definitely worth playing, but maybe wait for Scholars of the First Sin to go on sale.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I mean DS2 doesn't look as good as the preview footage (mostly the lighting, but some textures were downgraded as well), but it still looks comparable to DS1 (which was never a looker in a technical sense). There are some fantastic looking areas in DS2, and some really weak areas, but the same applies for DS1.

It would have been nice if they had come out and said "hey, we had to go back and lower the graphical quality to get good performance," but what game developer has ever actually said that right before releasing?

Meanwhile, the game plays great, though I do have a few gripes with some choices they made. It's definitely worth playing, but maybe wait for Scholars of the First Sin to go on sale.

Well that honesty probably would have made me buy it earlier but I'll get it on the cheap sometime later if I just don't skip it entirely for DS3.

Ludens

Banned
If it's not, I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh.
And then I'll enjoy the game at 30fps and think "damn, these guys are missing out." ;)

Yep, not really a problem (I play Witcher 3 30 fps capped and it's awesome), just a curiosity because DS2 on PC was 60 while BB was 30, since this engine seems very BB-ish (I don't know if it's the same engine of DS2), I was curious because of this.

Bloodborne was great but it also reminded me what playing a Souls game on consoles is like. No idea how I finished Dark Souls 2 on the PS3

30 FPS is fine, but they never actually run at that :p (ever)

Ludens

Banned
Bloodborne was great but it also reminded me what playing a Souls game on consoles is like. No idea how I finished Dark Souls 2 on the PS3

Why? I played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and a good chunk of BB from a friend, never had a problem with all of them honestly. They play exactly like DS2 I played on PC.

They just feel gross, Bloodborne has huge stuttering problems and Dark Souls 2 constantly skips between 20 fps while actually playing and 60 FPS if you look at a ceiling. Just gets a bit nauseating. I don't mind 30 FPS when it's actually consistent and locked at that framerate but not when it constantly flies all over the place.

I mean, it's certainly playable as I have finished every game up to this point on the PS3(and Bloodborne on the PS4) but it's not always pleasant. PC is definitely the way to go for the Dark Souls games.

Anteater

Why? I played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and a good chunk of BB from a friend, never had a problem with all of them honestly. They play exactly like DS2 I played on PC.

dark souls 1 had really terrible frame drops, but still playable, I actually played better on the ps3 ver than the pc one :lol, but the framedrops were bad

Durante

Seriously? I don't know about BB, but DS1 literally drops into the 1x FPS range at multiple points throughout the game on console. I really find that that makes a huge difference in how playable it is, compared to the smooth 60 of DS2 on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom