• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I don't know about BB, but DS1 literally drops into the 1x FPS range at multiple points throughout the game on console. I really find that that makes a huge difference in how playable it is, compared to the smooth 60 of DS2 on PC.

In my experience Bloodborne is a mostly stable 30. Still feels smooth and the incidents of slowdown are minimal. Being FROM's first native PS4 game, I'm overall happy with it.

Demon's/Dark on PS3 had a lot of iffy spots, but were still playable enough for me to put over 200 hours into them combined (and get both platinums). The worst offenders to the framerate were the blighttown style areas.

I replayed Dark on PC late last year and used your black magic to make it 60fps... as usual, it feels smoother, almost unnatural if you're used to the same game at 30 (at least to me)... but as long as the framerate was locked/stable, I had a good time.

I have no idea how bad DS2 was on PS3, I stayed far away from that after Downgrade-gate and just waited for the PC version. I do plan on going through SotFS on PS4 at some point and getting the platinum... but I want to finish Bloodborne first.

Again -- it's all a matter of preference. Some people are framerate police by nature... others are more of the... "vsync" police (that's me!) ... other's just don't care. :lol

By the way, I don't know how you did it, but good job on locking me out of using GeDoSaTo :p

Pad is the only way to go for action games in general though.

Pad is the only way to go for 95% of games that I play.
The only thing a pad isn't good for, IMO, is RTS or something like Typing of the Dead where actual data entry is an aspect of gameplay.

I feel so bad for buying Beyond Earth: Rising Tide and the Shadows expansion for Endless Legend and not having played either yet (albeit both at a discount), but you really have to be in the 4X mood. It's not like you can just hop into one of these games for a quick session. And I find I usually have to finish a 4X match in a single sitting or I'd rather not go back to it and start a new one instead.

Uzzy

Just bought Age of Decadence, and after reading about it's focus on dialogue, intrigue and multiple paths through the game, I'm expecting great things. The reportedly short playtime also rather appealed! I'm in full time work these days, so having another mammoth 100 hour open world RPG to play through wouldn't have been fun.

So I got around making a couple WebM of Star Citizen. Mainly from the new social hangout place. Was interesting seeing people just standing idle and presumably taking screenshots or just admiring the vista (WebM 7s) or trivial stuff like a puddle (WebM 14s). Nonetheless funny, maybe because I did the same thing and looked weird like them, haha.

The game is a looker for sure though. Lots of details on every texture and model (WebM 11s). The animations for entering a ship are also on point (WebM 15s).

Tizoc

Gamersgate.com has the Uplay ver. of Black Flag on sale.
Are any of its DLC worth getting?
What DLC isn't covered in the Season Pass for example?

Well my GPU is being held hostage in Richmond. UPS takes that 2 business days literally I guess.

Fear is still so good. PC fps games really had a good thing going for a while, sigh.

120 FPS makes it really easy though.

I did the first one and all the expansions but not the other 2. I got all of them again recently in a Bundle Stars bundle.

The story gets really out there after the first one.

Copons

So the other day I decided to clean up my PC, after 1.5 years since I built it, in a super dusty house, smoking and with two cats always running around, fighting, losing fur and whirling dust, hair and other junk everywhere.

Now, holy shit indeed.
In all this time, I only opened it once to add a piece, but the PC was freshly built and it wasn't all that bad inside.

But now.
Oh, now.

The first thing I noticed was that the case filters work wonder against cat fur. I didn't find a single cat hair inside, but plenty stuck in the filters. Nice!
But also it meant that everything I found inside was my fault.

The most disgusting thing, though, was spraying compressed air into the keyboard.
I mean, I'm quite hairy myself, and my arms and arms aren't any difference.
But shit, I had to lose sensibility on both hands for how cold all my air cans got, to get all the knots of hair out of all the nooks and crannies, and to get the keyboard back to a satisfying condition.

So what did I learn from this experience?

1) Clean the rig more often, because FFS, it was basically like when you stop allowing your mother into your place because you're ashamed of how shitty you're keeping it.
2) Do not use the keyboard anymore, ever. I'll have to learn coding with some software keyboard and my X360 controller, but still.
3) When you pull out the GPU and hear something cracking and then there is a broken piece of plastic lying there, don't spend the next hour in panic, trying to figure out where it came from: just toss it away, forget about it, plug the GPU back into the motherboard and it's gonna work just fine!
4) None of this matters anything, when 10 minutes after you've put everything back in its place, one of your cat suddenly, and for the first time ever, starts grooming herself sitting on the fucking case.

Shadownet

Banned
Pretty much everyone said that

Did you miss every thread of someone saying the same thing even in this very thread?
Well.. I don't think I was around GAF much when Fallout 4 got announced.. But I'm glad. I meant isn't the PC requirement kind of ridiculous for what it looks like?
pretty sure we talked about how gaf overreacted to the graphics when that trailer came out
Who are you?
Wait.
Gamersgate has not changed their name?
Gamersdoor just doesn't have that jingle.

hd-wallpaper-halloween-toronto_zps3wbyoggx.jpeg

Two in one day? Really? I wish it was Halloweentober all the time!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Warhammer 40k 2: Dawn of War 2 -- MB-E522524A17B6339F - Taken by Saty

Gamersgate.com has the Uplay ver. of Black Flag on sale.
Are any of its DLC worth getting?
What DLC isn't covered in the Season Pass for example?

It is a convoluted mess on Steam. Maybe UPlay is better. Steam will show you stuff you have as not bought and shit. Also Freedom Cry can be bought separately as a +1 along with already having it under the base game. Ubi.

What I can say is the Gold Edition is all DLCs minus the "time-savers" bullshit. So Standard Edition + SP will be missing some DLCs which I think were preorder stuff.

EDIT - They are selling Gold for 15 just get that version and it should have all DLC minus the time-savers.

Well.. I don't think I was around GAF much when Fallout 4 got announced.. But I'm glad. I meant isn't the PC requirement kind of ridiculous for what it looks like?

PC recommended specs. Ridiculous. You've answered your own question.

But I get what you're saying. Just seeing the 16gb RAM requirement made me start feeling inadequate about my 8gb... even though it's never bottlenecked me yet.

Shadownet

Banned
Why are you unbanned again?

Just kidding but, no they should ban you again for this.
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.
PC recommended specs. Ridiculous. You've answered your own question.

But I get what you're saying. Just seeing the 16gb RAM requirement made me start feeling inadequate about my 8gb... even though it's never bottlenecked me yet.

I'm guessing 16GB is for when you run all those extra graphic mods. Sucks for the console players though. No mods to save them.

Kyougar

Played the first Episode of Tales from the Borderlands.

Was great dumb fun.

but I had some kind of graphical glitch in the end part with the race. transparent black boxes started to appear all over the place. Anyone know a fix?

Lunaniem

Man, I really wish Rock Band 4 or even Guitar Hero Live was on PC... I've been playing some Phase Shift buts it's just not the same man. :(

Guitar Hero Live is coming to Android so you might be able to have something together with an Android emulator if you wanted to.

Shame they aren't coming to PC though, I'd buy them both.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
omg what's with the crowd of dumb shit in dark souls 2

You just learned of FROM's design decisions in dark souls 2?

I can only say they are a step down, they made the game harder by throwing bullshit crowds at you instead of hard enemies or good level design.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man, I really wish Rock Band 4 or even Guitar Hero Live was on PC... I've been playing some Phase Shift buts it's just not the same man. :(

Yeah. I wish Harmonix was able to figure out a way to protect the music stems as that's the current worry for labels and bands. If they had a better lock in place, we might actually have a chance at seeing Rock Band come to Steam.

We do have Rocksmith, but it isn't the same. ;-;

Just watched the early-access trailer of Brigador at Gamersyde. Lovely aesthetics and artstyle with a rocking soundtrack.

Totally forgot about that, love the heavily 80s sci-fi aesthetic they're going for.

Deitus

I actually thought having crowds of enemies worked well in DS2. By the end of DS1, there wasn't one single enemy that was much of a threat, outside of bosses, and the few times where enemies attack you on narrow ledges where you can't properly dodge. Especially since I carried a shield, the game became completely manageable. And while it was fun to be able to blaze through NG+ and NG++ largely uncontested (except for the damn Four Kings), it did take away from the oppressive atmosphere where you could die at any moment.

So with DS2, of course they added a bunch of new enemy types that were scary until you learned how to deal with them. But for most of those, it was simply a matter of learning their patterns (though screw those guys with wonky hitboxes, as well as the infinite stamina guys). But the areas with crowds of enemies, those were always a threat. Every time I approached them, I knew that one wrong move would mean my death, so I had to plan out in advance how I was going to approach, I always had an escape route in mind, and I would use the environment to my advantage, funneling the enemies into choke points and such. All in all, I didn't really die all that much to the swarms of enemies, largely because I always played extremely careful against them, but it was always a tense fight.

So Yeah, what would you guys recommend as an isometric Dark souls?

I don't know of any that are already out, but EITR looks very promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom