• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grinded quite a bit in Dark Souls 1 to get all magic spells and faith miracles, esp. Lightning ones. So worth it. They were badass and just so much fun to use.

Fast-forward to Dark Souls 2. Magic, Pyro and Miracles were too weak to justify maining them and thus not anywhere near fun as is DS1. Made myself a lightning GS and maxed it out and pretty much used it for the whole game.

Big difference to DS1 how Pyro was OP and in DS2 sucked. Never could get into magic in neither. Not sure if it was the long casting times or something else.

Anteater

blightown was like one of the best levels that was ruined by the framerate judging by how many people hating it

that's how bad the framerate was

that level rocks, it was one of the best levels in the game

Dsyndrome

blightown was like one of the best levels that was ruined by the framerate judging by how many people hating it

that's how bad the framerate was

that level rocks, it was one of the best levels in the game

Brought back bad memories of the Valley of Defilement and Plague Babies, wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Back on Steam, y'all should get Age of Decadence. Like others have said, best dialogue options in a game period.

Maniac

Banned
hey there was an item that makes you walk faster in the water

i was talking about the level design before the lame water part

Yeah, I loved falling down and dying constantly cause of wonky camera collision and janky controls.

Blighttown is hella great.

It only made me murder half my family, not all of it!

Ludens

Banned
Seriously? I don't know about BB, but DS1 literally drops into the 1x FPS range at multiple points throughout the game on console. I really find that that makes a huge difference in how playable it is, compared to the smooth 60 of DS2 on PC.

Yeah, the game had massive drops, expecially in some points, but I had no problem with that. I mean, Yakuza Dead Souls reaches single digit framerate way too often, still I found it fully playable. I also played Witcher 2 on 640x480 and I had drops too, but it was not an awful experience.

Yeah, I loved falling down and dying constantly cause of wonky camera collision and janky controls.

You can turn the visual with right stick :D

Anteater

pssh git gud

I mean like if you're complaining about wonky camera and janky controls than that's the game's fault and not the level lol

impact

Banned

maybe The Witcher 3 is the game for you my friend

if you're constantly dying cause of the camera in Souls you need to git gud or go back to casual RPGs.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate the Broforce ending where the president
introduces you to Jesus, and you and he go to live in Texas together

Also this:

J2qCuV6.png

Anteater

You can't complain about blight town unless you played on PS3 with that 10fps

I played through it on ps3

I still think people hate it because of the framerate, I enjoyed it, I thought everything else (other than the swamp) was good

ok fine the poison darts and those dogs or whatever sucks too

Those were easy too. Just keep your eyes open.

Yian quit being a baby.
I don't actually hate blighttown that much

but its still the worst area in the game

I pretty much speedrun through it in my replays, same with the gutter in ds2

I'm pretty sure they're intentionally designed to not be fun

Durante

Blighttown is a pretty neat area IMHO. Far better than most of the areas in the second half of DS1.

Back on Steam, y'all should get Age of Decadence. Like others have said, best dialogue options in a game period.

I fully agree with the first part -- AoD is unique and great and everyone should get it. Not the second though, because Planescape: Torment is a thing that exists.

Still think the upper parts of Blighttown is harder and more annoying than the actual swamp. That's me though.

I don't actually hate blighttown that much

but its still the worst area in the game

I pretty much speedrun through it in my replays, same with the gutter in ds2

Oh yeah I agree. It is still probably the worse. Well 2nd worse for me I think the worse is personally Tomb of the Giants.

Ludens

Banned
I fully agree with the first part. Not the second though, because Planescape: Torment is a thing that exists.

True. I still need to find better dialogues than Planescape. It was just a pleasure explore all dialogue lines. Otherwise in Pillars I just skipped all optional memory from NPCs you meet, they were well written but just boring to read.

Anteater

Still think the upper parts of Blighttown is harder and more annoying than the actual swamp. That's me though.

Oh yeah I agree. It is still probably the worse. Well 2nd worse for me I think the worse is personally Tomb of the Giants.

second half of dark souls was laaame and that includes tomb of the giants

impact

Banned
second half of dark souls was laaame and that includes tomb of the giants

TotG is legit awful. I'm so glad they removed the original torch idea from DS2 for that reason alone. Not being able to see shit is bad game design, Blighttown is great game design. The only reason to hate on Blighttown is if you only played the console versions.

Ludens

Banned
TotG is legit awful. I'm so glad they removed the original torch idea from DS2 for that reason alone. Not being able to see shit is bad game design, Blighttown is great game design. The only reason to hate on Blighttown is if you only played the console versions.

This reminds me of Witcher 1, I entered a cave, it was pitch dark and something killed me. Luckily they fixed this in Witcher 2 and 3.

Maniac

Banned

I did.

And then on PC with KB+M.

I love pain

fantomena

Just finished the test (took out the bosses). Very nice. Way better than DS2 which I thought was mediocre.

Uploading a 35 min or so gameplay of me with both SP and MP to show how much I suck. I did sadly not record me killing the 2 bosses, but oh well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
There are plenty of "action games" which play perfectly well on mouse/kb. And a few explicitly designed for it which play marvelously.

Yeah someone hasn't seen DMC4 on keyboard only and Rising is pretty good about it's controls as well as allowing new possibilities due to speed.

Well then now your comment makes more sense. M/KB is garbage in Souls games. Pad is the only way to go for action games in general though.

Actually I am playing through it again with Mousefix.

I prefer playing Dark Souls with Mouse and Keyboard now rather than my controller.

I find it more fun than when I played on my controller.

Buraindo

wtf are you doing in dark souls 2 Ornstein

Pointless fanservice that's what he's doing there.
Didn't even bother to put his armour in the game.

I grinded quite a bit in Dark Souls 1 to get all magic spells and faith miracles, esp. Lightning ones. So worth it. They were badass and just so much fun to use.

Fast-forward to Dark Souls 2. Magic, Pyro and Miracles were too weak to justify maining them and thus not anywhere near fun as is DS1. Made myself a lightning GS and maxed it out and pretty much used it for the whole game.

Big difference to DS1 how Pyro was OP and in DS2 sucked. Never could get into magic in neither. Not sure if it was the long casting times or something else.

It was fun to send enemies flying with Sunlight Spear in DS1.
Pyro was in dire need of some balancing true. I like how it's better in DSII if you're a caster but it's so bad in terms of effectiveness compared to something like Hexes that there's really not that much reason to use it.

Yep, not really a problem (I play Witcher 3 30 fps capped and it's awesome), just a curiosity because DS2 on PC was 60 while BB was 30, since this engine seems very BB-ish (I don't know if it's the same engine of DS2), I was curious because of this.
BB can barely handle 30, that's why it wasn't at 60.

It was fun to send enemies flying with Sunlight Spear in DS1.
Pyro was in dire need of some balancing true, I like how it's better in DSII if you're a caster, but it's now so bad in terms of effectiveness compared to something like Hexes that there's really not that much reason to use it.
Oh man, totally forgot about hexes. They were a really great addition. Super fast cast times with generally great damage output. Used them extensively going up to the
Ancient Dragon
; in my game and so much more as a friendly summon.

impact

Banned
people that played Lost Izalith before the nerf are the ones who know true pain

that was probably the most bullshit I've ever seen in one level in my 20 years of gaming

Buraindo

Oh man, totally forgot about hexes. They were a really great addition. Super fast cast times with generally great damage output. Used them extensively going up to the
Ancient Dragon
; in my game and so much more as a friendly summon.

Kiln of the First Flame though. Cried internally at its glory on my first sight.
Duke's Archives though, so unique.
To be honest, Lost Izalith was the actual huge letdown.

Great Resonant Soul was some next level nonsense pre patch.

And yeah seeing the Kiln for the first time left me speechless.
Lost Izalith is still awful but I'd rather go through that and the Bed of Chaos over Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom