• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accoun

Last I recall the issue was with the music licensing.

I might be wrong, but it wasn't the licensing itself, but more the distribution - content encryption etc. Things that on consoles are mostly dealt with by platform owners.
Still, it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is, they're a small studio and don't have the backing of a huge publisher anymore, as already mentioned.

Vlad

<sigh>, it's starting to get depressing to play through a game that has some interesting ideas, and just doesn't DO anything with them.

By which I mean Gunpoint. I've had it sitting in my library for a while, and after a string of disappointing games, I wanted to play something that had seemingly universal acclaim.

Alas, after finishing it, I was once again disappointed.

The whole rewiring gimmick is a great idea, but there's never anything done with it. There's all these interesting ideas introduced (like rewiring to electric jacks), but the levels are never designed to actually let the player make use of all the abilities at their disposal. Practically every single level is just a slog through to the different wirejack points to unlock the various colors, rewiring all the lights so the guards can't see you, hit the objective, and then leave. Despite all the tools and abilities you get, there's really no incentive to use them, as they all seem to be less useful than the simple "shut out the lights and pounce+punch" everybody approach.

It's really telling that the first mechanic that the game introduces is a super-long-distance jump (like, two-stories tall long-distance), and most of the game takes place inside office buildings. The super jumping is something more suited to a game like Ronin, which despite all my complaints about it, I enjoyed much, much more.

I guess Mark of the Ninja remains my top pick when it comes to 2d stealth platformers.

On the other hand, I went straight to Escape Goat after finishing Gunpoint, and was pleasantly surprised. I grabbed Escape Goat for a buck during the recent sale, and while it's not an overly long game, it really makes the most of its presence. You have a set number of skills, but the game's constantly throwing new ways for you to utilize them even up to the very last level. I was able to beat it in 3-4 hours, but that was just about the right amount. Any more and the game would have just felt tiresome.

There is a second campaign that opens up after you beat the game, though, although the levels in it don't feel nearly as well designed as the original ones. It's sort of like the extra level packs that VVVVVV included post-launch: ok, but lacking the magic of the original.

Anteater

You just learned of FROM's design decisions in dark souls 2?

I can only say they are a step down, they made the game harder by throwing bullshit crowds at you instead of hard enemies or good level design.

nah i've noticed it before, i got a shield to deal with it but got pissed off when I still died from it lol

zkylon

zkylewd
zUGzqTI.png

yay

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
<sigh>, it's starting to get depressing to play through a game that has some interesting ideas, and just doesn't DO anything with them.

By which I mean Gunpoint. I've had it sitting in my library for a while, and after a string of disappointing games, I wanted to play something that had seemingly universal acclaim.

Alas, after finishing it, I was once again disappointed.

The whole rewiring gimmick is a great idea, but there's never anything done with it. There's all these interesting ideas introduced (like rewiring to electric jacks), but the levels are never designed to actually let the player make use of all the abilities at their disposal. Practically every single level is just a slog through to the different wirejack points to unlock the various colors, rewiring all the lights so the guards can't see you, hit the objective, and then leave. Despite all the tools and abilities you get, there's really no incentive to use them, as they all seem to be less useful than the simple "shut out the lights and pounce+punch" everybody approach.

It's really telling that the first mechanic that the game introduces is a super-long-distance jump (like, two-stories tall long-distance), and most of the game takes place inside office buildings. The super jumping is something more suited to a game like Ronin, which despite all my complaints about it, I enjoyed much, much more.

Replay it to perfect it :)

zkylon

zkylewd
my first steam game was orange box

nothing too original

so 8 years since i was like valve rocks

maybe 7 since i actually liked l4d 1

Happy (steam) birthday now go deal with all those messages.
oh yea it always happens to me that those things pile up

kind of lazy to check since its that many

ExoSoul

Banned
I have some news to share with you guys, I just got married today :D

Edit:
QUOTE=WinterDemons - In my Tomodachi Life game that is. His only chance. XD /QUOTE

InfiniteNine and I got married in Winter's game, 'twas just some innocent fun with the developments.

Later the same day EmergentFocus and Leafhopper also tied the knot.

Volimar

Yes, that's the official site and I wouldn't recommend downloading it from anywhere else besides there or on Github

Cool thanks. I searched and found both that and the github, but I wasn't going to dl anything till I knew for sure. Why isn't it in the OP unless it is and I completely missed it...

Eila

Dtoid: Is the recently announced PC port of Little King's Story an example of that?

Berry: That is something we're handling out of the US office completely by ourselves. Marvelous did assist us with finding a good company that could do the HD conversion. And of course we need to license the title from them, because it's their IP. But other than that it's completely us, where we're communicating with the company that's in charge of the company in charge of the HD conversion on a day-to-day basis. And then it will be uploaded onto Steam on our account for a worldwide release, as well as other digital delivery platforms, such as GOG.

http://www.destructoid.com/interview-xseed-executive-vp-ken-berry-315659.phtml

XSEED decided to port the game themselves :O Now it's a must buy. Definitely helps it's a really good game, and the thought of some other XSEED games hitting PC is too good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are you saying there are illegal copies of IdleM@ster around?

Yeah, I've seen other sites re-hosting the binaries which honestly kind of scares me. Whether they are doing a simple re-hosting or are doing something more nefarious I'm not sure, I'd have to check the file CRCs. Either way, best to stay safe and either download from the website or from Github - or for those that are super paranoid and have access to Visual Studio, feel free to download the source files and compile the program yourself. ;)

Cool thanks. I searched and found both that and the github, but I wasn't going to dl anything till I knew for sure. Why isn't it in the OP unless it is and I completely missed it...

Good point, might need to add that to the OP.

zkylon

zkylewd
505's cash splash is contingent upon the IGG campaign being successful and that is looking very unlikely. What you won is a pledge that's just going to be refunded. ;)
it's not getting funded?

that's disappointed

looked cool

why didn't they use kickstarter again?

MUnited83

For you.
Ravidrath! He works at Lab Zero (as CEO, according to his profile, I guess?) and is working on Indivisible.

They got a lot of questions/criticism about Kickstarter vs. IGG in the Indisivible thread. And you're killin' him.

To be fair, it's a valid point. There has yet to be a game on IGG that even breaks 1 million.

it's not getting funded?

that's disappointed

looked cool

why didn't they use kickstarter again?

From the looks of it, it's 50/50 unless there's some big bumps coming. Though Indiegogo was more of success to them since it went particularly well with their Skullgirls campaign. However the Metroidvania-RPG scene isn't as passionate as the fighting game scene. I really do hope it reaches its goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom