• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something in me is really telling me to get Diablo 3. I played most of the base game on 360 when that originally came out. Does the pc version deviate in any ways? How is the expansion? Anybody on STEAMgaf fans of Diablo or play? I know it has its own community thread but I thought I'd see how my steam peoples feel about it

Dsyndrome

Something in me is really telling me to get Diablo 3. I played most of the base game on 360 when that originally came out. Does the pc version deviate in any ways? How is the expansion. Anybody on STEAMgaf fans of Diablo or play? I know it has its own community thread but I thought I'd see how my steam peoples feel about it

Playing it now with my brothers, you'll have to be always online, but it's not bad. Started over on Hard since I beat it 3 years ago, and it's like a new game with all the additions they put in; probably not as many for you, but if you can find a good deal for D3 and Reaper of Souls and don't mind always online, I say go for it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Something in me is really telling me to get Diablo 3. I played most of the base game on 360 when that originally came out. Does the pc version deviate in any ways? How is the expansion. Anybody on STEAMgaf fans of Diablo or play? I know it has its own community thread but I thought I'd see how my steam peoples feel about it

I know they balanced the game differently on console. I don't think you can use a controller natively on PC. Features like "evade" are console exclusive. There's some other stuff but I haven't touched D3 beyond the first couple months of its release.

Some people say D3 is better on console.

I know they balanced the game differently on console. I don't think you can use a controller natively on PC. Features like "evade" are console exclusive. There's some other stuff but I haven't touched D3 beyond the first couple months of its release.

Some people say D3 is better on console.

I dont really mind not using the controller. In fact the only reason I played it on consoles was due to not having a compatible enough pc at the time it originally dropped. I have so many good memories playing D2 with my uncle that it might just be nostalgia hitting me. Tbh i might just buy D2 and the expansion again or rummage through my mom's house next time I go home.

Playing it now with my brothers, you'll have to be always online, but it's not bad. Started over on Hard since I beat it 3 years ago, and it's like a new game with all the additions they put in; probably not as many for you, but if you can find a good deal for D3 and Reaper of Souls and don't mind always online, I say go for it.

I never knew about the online only aspect. That's pretty interesting. I had a professor last semester who played it so I kinda wanna get it and email him so we can run some co-op or something.

Something in me is really telling me to get Diablo 3. I played most of the base game on 360 when that originally came out. Does the pc version deviate in any ways? How is the expansion? Anybody on STEAMgaf fans of Diablo or play? I know it has its own community thread but I thought I'd see how my steam peoples feel about it

I'm still salty that they don't give PC version a local co-op feature.
But nevertheless, it's a great game. I've spent dozens of hours on it.

Hektor

Batman will be back on Steam this month with all DLCs

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/126456258427632890

Can't wait to see price and Season Pass price.

The final chapter of the saga.

I don't get exactly why everyone gets wet about X or Y game being the biggest open world game when most open world games end up with tons of MMO filler side quest that get boring as fuck in single player games.

Agreed, hearing about x game being x big does nothing for me.

WORD! Im very much fatigued of open world at the moment. I hope we'll get more smaller, focused titles next year again.

At least something that keeps me busy at work today.

Famitsu "leaks" Laura for Street Fighter V

SekJJRR.jpg
GRawedG.jpg

Finally a new main

Shieeet, that design is amazing.

You guys are talking about my main like you're going to main her or something.

That is what you call NTR

If PSA threads got the slap down I move to motion that the usage of 'GOAT' be systemically, retrospectively and automatically replaced with 'my favourite thing'. Unless they're taking about boxing or LL Cool J then that's all gravy.

0sO7IXqm.jpeg

Dr Dogg

If PSA threads got the slap down I move to motion that the usage of 'GOAT' be systemically, retrospectively and automatically replaced with 'my favourite thing'. Unless they're taking about boxing or LL Cool J then that's all gravy.

Also fuck D3 on consoles unless you play solo, have mates to play with or want to play with a bunch of randoms that have some crazy levelled duped gear. Joy2Key and Xpadder can work alright but d3gamepad had been flawless for ages. Plus Steam Controller is out in a couple of weeks and d3 is going to be the very first thing I try out as Season 4 has sapped most of my free time recently.

Too bad my Steam Controller turns up on 16th October.

Dr Dogg

4 days until release and my shipping status on Amazon for Transformers Devastation still says:-

Not yet dispatched
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

And when that's the case this close to release it generally means they're having supply issues or out of stock :(

Well if I pick up SFV and Juri isn't in I'll make do with Laura.

Well Capcom games on PC generally have pretty healthy modding communities and SFIV is flipping huge so...

Lain

The PC version has bigger mobs density, performs better, has seasons and is always online (annoying but less cheating).
The expansion is great. Act 5 is theme-wise nice, with some cool tunes and an asshole of a final boss, though it's the level 70 items and stuff it adds that make it good.
I love D3, always online aside it is my preferred action-click-RPG on PC.
Also, sales for the base game and expansion happoen frequently, both for the digital download on Blizzard's own site as well as on Amazon (they had a 50%off on amazon just a few days ago), so if you're not in a rush you can wait to see if one happens again soon.

tmarg

So this humble monthly thing... do we know how many games are they giving each month?
It doesn't look worth it, right?

They haven't said, and I imagine it will vary.

I doubt it will be worth it in the long run. The quality of the games they get is going to be more important than the number of games though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Great idea! I also think 'Gaben' should be replaced with 'God', 'Steam' with 'Heaven' and 'Roboleon' with 'datSexyMofo'

"God releases Half Life 3 in Heaven, datSexyMofo wants it all over his face!"

So this humble monthly thing... do we know how many games are they giving each month?
It doesn't look worth it, right?

I don't know, if it was 3 or 4 games the quality of Grimrock II and they hadn't already been bundled elsewhere it might be ok. But where it says:

Includes everything from recent hits to hidden gems to timeless classics...

it seems to imply there will be repeats. I won't be signing up.

Dr Dogg

Seeing as it's getting brought up in here more frequently the past few weeks I'm surprised no one has set up a SteamGAF DIII Community yet.

Great idea! I also think 'Gaben' should be replaced with 'God', 'Steam' with 'Heaven' and 'Roboleon' with 'datSexyMofo'

"God releases Half Life 3 in Heaven, datSexyMofo wants it all over his face!"

Why do I get the feeling this would be used for evil not good?

Ozium

ANCIENT ALIENS: Escape My Favourite Thing 2 on sale for 90% off.

DIARRHEA: New My Favourite Thing Simulator DLC announced.

Saty

Based off what? A negative review of 1 game?
The flaws and issues Armikrog launched with are indeed bad, though I'd say the biggest issue is the fact that it doesn't have a good UI
How many PnC games have you played so far this year?
Based on all the KS games that i played or read reviews about. I've also agreed with Walker's review of Broken Age. Fact is, most of the crowdfunded games released got negative reviews and left plenty of players unsatisfied and dejected. People didn't back legends of the genre to work Publisher-less only to produce games that 'might be good in the 80's'. That's not the bar.

Broken Sword 5 did seem to get the most positive reviews out of the bunch but i haven't taken a close look at it. It appears to me that it is less egregious in exposing the rut that this genre is stuck in.

Broken Age was fine, if it were released during the 80s or 90s era y'all would be praising it about as much as the Monkey Island and Broken Sword games.
Aside from pixel hunting and there being 1 way to solve puzzles, all of that IS in recent PnC games that are similar to PnC games of the past decades.
Aside from 2 of the 3 \ 2 of the 4 points mentioned? That's still a lot. Broken Age didn't have skippable conversations and it didn't have item highlighting. If you are a P&C developer and you don't have those 2 things in your game then you better stop right now because you aren't going to be making a worthwhile product.
Which is why i said the issue is severe not because devs fail to capture what makes P&C games good - they also fail to avoid what makes P&C games a nuisance and unpleasant experience.

Why fit game design to work on mobile when the game design of the old PnC games would work fine on a mobile anyways? You can play the OG Monkey Island 1 and 2 games on an iPad or iPhone for example.
Dunno, ask the devs. But with the rise of mobile games and popularity of Telltale games, 'classic' P&C titles started exhibiting even less complexities and agency. You might say 'Correlation doesn't mean..' but in this case i don't see another explanation. I mean, it's probably cheaper and easier to make games like that but they don't make them better.

As much as I'd like to see the PnC adventure genre take the next step, the issue comes with the cost of development and time invested in making Adventure games be open ended in its progression.
I can't imagine a genre that is easier for devs to control. Devs control what you can pick-up, the devs control all the items you can have while facing this or that puzzle. If the player needs to pick something from a crack in the floor and the dev already went into the trouble of allowing me to pick-up a fork, a knife, a spike then what the heck is the problem with checking the three items as a solution? Unless you clearly convey why one item does the job and the other doesn't (comment by the character 'it's too deep in, i need something longer').

I would also add direct control to everything that is logical to do so. For instance, if you need to use a gun on lock to shoot it open. Why have an animation play-out instead of letting the player aim the gun at the lock and pull the trigger? Auto-save before every such instance so the player won't have to load a previous save if he tries to shoot other stuff for the heck of it or to see if there is special dialogue if you do something else.

In general i would also like to see more fail states and game overs. Losing progress is no longer a concern.

And we have different ideas of what makes a game in this genre good. I want annoying pixel hunting and puzzles that make absolutely no sense. Those are some of my personal favorite qualities in this genre and would hate to see them go away completely.

If anything, I think the genre is becoming too dumbed down. It's rare for a game in this genre to provide a good challenge and when it happens it's usually just a puzzle or two.
It isn't hard to make something challenging or perplexing. The point is to make something hard but still achievable by adhering to logic, common sense or what the game taught you. At the end, you want the player to piece it together and get his a-ha moment, not somehow stumble to the solution and then react 'wtf is this solution and how was i supposed to reach it'.

The good thing is that you have no shortage of games that are designed that way, so you're set.
An item-highlighting option is just that. You don't have to use it. You can wreck your brain if you want to but let others circumvent pixel hunting if they want to.

aw350

Banned
Obligatory rolling of eyes at the montly humble shtick at $12/month.

As regards Diablo 3 on PC vs console, I might be mistaken but I think the console version lags on patches. This matters, because patches are quite bulky (although rare). In any case, I'd recommend Diablo 3 on any platform (PC preferred) to anyone who didn't play it at all or didn't play for a year or so.

aw350

Banned
It isn't hard to make something challenging or perplexing. The point is to make something hard but still achievable by adhering to logic, common sense or what the game taught you. At the end, you want the player to piece it together and get his a-ha moment, not somehow stumble to the solution and then react 'wtf is this solution and how was i supposed to reach it'.

Agree completely.

I am perfectly fine with being stuck, because I don't see a solution, which is cleverly hidden, or disguised, or can be deduced, etc, but is ultimately logical and within reach. But when I spend an hour or more trying to find such a solution, declare defeat, think that I am being too tired today, and reach for Google - only to see that I had to do something completely irrelevant and stupid, it's something else entirely...

tmarg

Humble Monthly Bundle doesn't support Paypal, what gives?

My guess is that they don't want to use paypal because paypal pretty much always sides with the buyer if there is any kind of dispute, which leaves them open to charge backs if people are unhappy with the selection of games for a month.

Deques

My guess is that they don't want to use paypal because paypal pretty much always sides with the buyer if there is any kind of dispute, which leaves them open to charge backs if people are unhappy with the selection of games for a month.

Seems fair. I am probably going to try it for one month. But I don't want to use debit card >.<

Galyonkin on Indiepocalypse

So, what is really killing indie games and are they dying at all?

It would seem that the main culprit are indie games themselves.

The rising quality bar leads to more indie games failing, but it also leads to better games and that’s ultimately is what we’re here for&#8202;—&#8202;to create amazing experiences for our customers.

Steam did what everyone wanted&#8202;—&#8202;it stopped being Arstotzka-style border guard between game developers and gamers, allowing everyone to sell their games.

It was always your responsibility to create and market your game. You can’t expect some automated discovery algorithm or third-party service to just bring you money and fame. And while it is in fact harder marketing the games in the “holy 2013” way (put your game on Steam, receive money, brag on Twitter), it’s now possible to market your game in many other new ways that, of course, involve a lot of work.

If you want to stay in business of making games, you should treat it as business.

Yeah, this is what I thought when the issue was brought up first. You could say it's a non-issue in the end.

Anteater

Well Capcom games on PC generally have pretty healthy modding communities and SFIV is flipping huge so...

I really hope Dragon's Dogma is moddable and not just texture/model swap, I want every wolf replaced with a chimera and randomized across the map

I bought that Humble Monthly Bundle. It's really no different than things like LootCrate. Hopefully it's just games I don't own then I'll be happy. The rest I'll giveaway.

Arthea

Galyonkin on Indiepocalypse

Yeah, this is what I thought when the issue was brought up first. You could say it's a non-issue in the end.

I don't agree, it's still an issue, imagine one or two people indie dev team, they don't have marketing department, they may even know nothing about advertising not to mention that they have no funds. I'm not saying it's steam's work to make them visible at all times, though, but it surely would help to have a good search system and comprehensive genre/description system in place, and let's not forget tighter quality control or any quality control if that matters, wouldn't it?

Chariot

Is it even known how many games are supposed to be in that bundle? Really dumb to have the cards that close to the chest.

Arthea

Is it even known how many games are supposed to be in that bundle? Really dumb to have the cards that close to the chest.

no, it isn't, there are 0 warranties of any kind, by the way they describe it, they could give you one Bad Rats for those $12 and you take it and shut up, because that's what you signed for, some unknown games in unknown quantities.

no, it isn't, there are 0 warranties of any kind, by the way they describe it, they could give you one Bad Rats for those $12 and you take it and shut up, because that's what you signed for, some unknown games in unknown quantities.

Do you really think there's any chance whatsoever of the games in the bundle being worth less than the bundle itself? I mean Grimrock 2 is already worth more than $12 normally.

Faabulous

Six days since my account was hijacked. Reading reddit posts about people who have contacted steam support a month ago and still nothing is making me lose hope. 500 games down the toilet.

I know its my fault my security was breached, but fuck man.

Arthea

Do you really think there's any chance whatsoever of the games in the bundle being worth less than the bundle itself? I mean Grimrock 2 is already worth more than $12 normally.

yeah, but what if I already have it (and I do have), so if it is one good game for $12 and you already own it. How's that for a good deal?
it doesn't tempt me in the slightest, praised to be Odin.

That, and as I said before, I know from their bundles that their understanding of worthy high tier games has nothing to do with reality, not my reality, anyway.

fertygo

Six days since my account was hijacked. Reading reddit posts about people who have contacted steam support a month ago and still nothing is making me lose hope. 500 games down the toilet.

Any idea how that can happened to you?

dex3108

Send message to GabeN.

Arthea

oh ya, I almost forgot, remember I've sent a ticket to steam support during last summer sale (about being unable to access my badge page and inventory), I got automated reply about a week ago *laughs*

Faabulous

Any idea how that can happened to you?

Not a single one of my other gaming accounts got hijacked (not Bnet, not Origin), and they were pretty valuable too. So I'm guessing it was password reuse (my Steam and e-mail passwords were the same, and I might have used it somewhere else that leaked).

Wiped my PC clean, just in case tho.

Send message to GabeN.
How would that do me any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom