• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ravidrath! He works at Lab Zero (as CEO, according to his profile, I guess?) and is working on Indivisible.

They got a lot of questions/criticism about Kickstarter vs. IGG in the Indisivible thread. And you're killin' him.
well it's ten pages and it doesnt say anything on ot

would be easier to just tell me

Blizzard

Banned
This is apparently an old issue, but I'm struggling with it trying to use big picture mode for the Steam controller.

17410_2015-10-18_00004oy99.png

With a 1680x1050 monitor, is there any way to force the Steam overlay to be crisp ingame instead of blurry and scaled? I'm already using the -fulldesktopres launch parameter which does not seem to make any difference.

*edit* I should point out that this is Windows 7 if it makes any difference.

zkylon

zkylewd
From the looks of it, it's 50/50 unless there's some big bumps coming. Though Indiegogo was more of success to them since it went particularly well with their Skullgirls campaign. However the Metroidvania-RPG scene isn't as passionate as the fighting game scene. I really do hope it reaches its goal.
well i think the page said they refund the money if it fails so i dont see the difference

im guessing there's a reason, because why would you use the clearly smaller audience of indiegogo

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
well i think the page said they refund the money if it fails so i dont see the difference

im guessing there's a reason, because why would you use the clearly smaller audience of indiegogo

Indiegogo takes way less of a cut than Kickstarter, which is pretty attractive to them as it means they'd have more of a pool to work with. That was assuming they'd make the goal, of course, which doesn't appear will be the case.

zkylon

zkylewd
Indiegogo has 8% quoted on their piechart, but 'less fees than kickstarter' came straight from the devs' own mouth in the topic linked.

yypphtghmd1virbxkpso.jpg
sounds like they should just redo it on kickstarter then where they would probably have a bigger chance

but im confused what they're talking about abot the fee

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees -> 5% + 3% + 0.20 per pledge. no fee if you fail to meet the goal
https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204456408-How-much-does-Indiegogo-cost-Fees-Pricing -> 5% + 3$ + 0.30 per pledge. 5% even if you fail to meet the goal [edit: on flexible funding. if you do kickstarter style projects then there's no fee]

so i dunno how much truth there is in that lower fee argument

Deques

zkylon

zkylewd
watched a video of the witcha expansion spiders

they're not that bad, but i don't like witcher 3 enough to put me through that stress

whatever

Wait what? You have to pay 5% of what if you fail the goal? If you fail then there are no money
indiegogo works differently than kickstarter in that you get charged as soon as you pledge and if it doesn't meet the goal then you get refunded

it's not like kickstarter that it's just only charges you at the end

so fee might have something to do with that

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait what? You have to pay 5% of what if you fail the goal? If you fail then there are no money

On IGG, by default, the money goes to the project creator even if the goal isn't met, but eventually a Kickstarteresque "flexible funding" option was introduced, which refunds backers if the funding campaign fails, and this is what Indivisible is using.

Mivey

So wait, their only reason for Invidisble to use Indiegogo, is the 8% fee, as opposed to Kickstarters 10?
Nevermind the fact that on KS your chances of success are so much higher.
This is so dumb, unless there are good reason why KS would never work for them. (Maybe no one in the dev teams owns/believes in credit cards?)

zkylon

zkylewd
So wait, their only reason for Invidisble to use Indiegogo, is the 8% fee, as opposed to Kickstarters 10?
This is so dumb, unless there are good reason why KS would never work for them. (Maybe no one in the dev teams owns/believes in credit cards?)

it's 8-10% on kickstarter, so it's not necessarily more money

i imagine there's something i'm missing, cos if not then i don't get it

maybe it's something about regions or whatever

On IGG, by default, the money goes to the project creator even if the goal isn't met. Eventually a "flexible funding" option was introduced, which is what Indivisible is using, where pledges are refunded if the campaign fails.
yeah sorry, if you do fixed funding (which is the style you mean, as in, kickstarter style) then no transaction fee

sorry for the confusion

fertygo

I think they also want to promote IGG or something like that

zkylon

zkylewd
i fucked up

indivisible has a fixed goal, so they wont have to pay the fee if they fail to meet it

i fucked up
i fucked up
i fucked up

sorry, lets move on pls

so, it doesn't seem like it's a smaller fee in indiegogo, at this point i should've probably skimmed through that thread some more i guess, but well...

i fucked up

indivisible has a fixed goal, so they wont have to pay the fee if they fail to meet it

i fucked up
i fucked up
i fucked up

sorry, lets move on pls

so, it doesn't seem like it's a smaller fee in indiegogo, at this point i should've probably skimmed through that thread some more i guess, but well...

lewd

Tizoc

I have some news to share with you guys, I just got married today :D

Edit:
QUOTE=WinterDemons - In my Tomodachi Life game that is. His only chance. XD /QUOTE

InfiniteNine and I got married in Winter's game, 'twas just some innocent fun with the developments.

Later the same day EmergentFocus and Leafhopper also tied the knot.

Congrats mate :D

Dsyndrome

i downloaded it, might start it up one of these days

just kind of hesitant to start another super long game

? what's you mean
There's a bug right now where if you drop a companion, they're gone forever. Devs know about it and are working on it. So up to that point, you should be fine, unless you're running Windows 7, where a lot of folks are getting stuttering.

This is the page of SteamGAF where everyone alludes to things instead of directly saying them.

Y'know.
? what's you mean

WL2DC has a bug where dismissing a companion is permanent--they never show up at the Citadel to be recruited later as they're supposed to.

I should have known I'd be beaten.

505's cash splash is contingent upon the IGG campaign being successful and that is looking very unlikely. What you won is a pledge that's just going to be refunded. ;)
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

It's a shame that it's still a long way from its goal because I really enjoyed the demo. I also think that the developers should have tried Kickstarter, especially as it seems like they'd lose a similar amount of money in fees but the audience would have been bigger.

At least I know to grab Vallyrie Profile in the next PlayStation sale.
http://www.destructoid.com/interview-xseed-executive-vp-ken-berry-315659.phtml

XSEED decided to port the game themselves :O Now it's a must buy. Definitely helps it's a really good game, and the thought of some other XSEED games hitting PC is too good.
Has it been confirmed to be a port of the Wii version? I couldn't see anything in that article.

So I've put about 50 hours into Beyond Earth's expansion, Rising Tide, and thought I would share my experience thus far.

The big additions are: Four new factions as well as re-working the eight factions from BE vanilla. Water cities with more water units (melee and stealth). New buildings and Wonders for aquatic cities. Hybrid Affinities with new versions of many (but not all) generic units and some unique units. A new Relic system tied to exploring colony ruins, progenitor ruins, downed satellites, alien remains and razing alien nests. You can combine Earth, Alien and Progenitor Relics to create unique buildings and Wonders. A new Diplomatic trait/deal system with its own currency which completely replaces the old diplomacy system Beyond Earth had carried over from Civ V. More orbital units to play with earlier in the game making the orbital layer something you actively use and pay more attention to rather than just spamming solar collectors.

Overall Rising Tide makes the early game a bit more fun (the A.I. is still super passive on lower difficulties though), water cities and being able to develop water tiles really opens up the maps, especially archipelago and atlantean maps. The new factions are fun to use. Chongsu get lots of science bonuses from espionage. Intergr have a lot of Diplomatic bonuses. Al-Falah can convert city production output to science, energy, food or culture at vastly increased yields, which is pretty much broken right now. While the North Sea Alliance can move their water cities around very quickly (usually requires a number of turns). The Relic system and scaling bonuses from expedition sites make them worthwhile game-long.

The diplomatic system is both great and horrendously limited. It's great in that you can adopt different diplomatic traits and change up your playstyle mid-game. Make it so your military can farm science off of enemies you kill and then later make them stronger defensively. Increase the amount of health your cities produce early game then later switch over to science, culture or production. The A.I. will also have these same traits, one unique to their faction and three they adopt. These will define how they interact with you. It's great because these things are much more clearly visible in the diplomatic screen versus how they used to be. The A.I. will also constantly chatter to you while the turns process and you can see your status rising and falling with them and it clearly states why. These diplomatic traits are awful because on the higher difficulty levels these things become game-y and stupid reasons for the A.I. declaring war on you for. You don't make enough food...WAR! You don't have enough people...WAR! You don't wage enough war...WAR! It's just a value that rises and falls and it's not always a sane or rational reason for one faction to declare war on another. It becomes very game-y on the higher difficulty levels. By the first 100 turns most factions will sanction you on Soyuz, it will likely be all of them on Apollo. The warmonger penalty is also gone from the game now, the A.I. get some really aggressive personality traits in Soyuz and Apollo that aren't always rational. In fact some will start to like you as you destroy their empires and plunder their trade routes. It's really weird. If there still is a penalty for warmongering, I have yet to encounter it. You can absorb an entire factions empire and no one else will blink. It's really weird.

There's now a war score system in place but the A.I. largely ignores it.

You also can't modify deals anymore. For example you can't decline to take their shitty cities anymore. Before you could remove or add things, now you just take and raze. This game needs a basic casus belli system, which, oddly enough, it used to have in the old diplomatic system with the positive and negative relationship modifiers the other factions used to have with the player.

The game is still balanced to 300 turns whereas Civ V is balanced to 500 turns. Beyond Earth games are short, there's an early game, a mid game and then it's pretty much done because you or someone else has trotted out their victory wonder and will win in x number of turns. Late-game units rarely have any time to shine. There around for 20 turns and the match is over.

Hybrid Affinities do not have their own victory conditions. Nor do you get Hybrid variations of all the base units. Rising Tide does not add any new wrinkles to the end-game, such as it is. Without their own victory conditions, Hybrid Affinities are kind of aimless. Purity is great if you want to build wide and have a large empire, Supremacy is great if you want to warmonger with a massive army, Harmony is great if you want to build tall and have a small focused empire. The Hybrid Affinities are just sort of there if you want...because. You still have to have a victory wonder lined up by turn 300 (Soyuz and down) or 200 (Apollo). So you have to have 15 levels in one Affinity to get its victory wonder out in time. Hybrid Affinities are potentially a waste of time.

There are a number of bonuses, ship loadout options, for Beyond Earth that are tied to owning and playing Sid Meier's Starships. One ship loadout option provides you the ability to build Colonists and Explorers in half the usual amount of time, another reveals expedition sites on the world map as soon as you land. You can abuse these two loadout options by going Prosperity to get Explorers the 3 extra expedition modules (you can rush this with 3 Virtues), go two levels of Supremacy to get another extra module and then the Laboratory building quest to get yet another. You can have three or four Explorers with 6 Expedition Modules scouring the world early game just raking in all of the resource pods and expedition sites. You really only have to compete with the A.I. over resource pods. They gather a single expedition site but then never refresh their explorer's loadouts and eventually they have no explorers. It's so open for abuse. They've promised a patch or two for Rising Tide. It's less of a mess than BEV was at launch but there's a few things that will need patching/improving.

TLDR: Overall though Rising Tide is a lot like Gods & Kings, it makes Beyond Earth more fun to play, makes the early game more interesting but there are still things that need improving in the mid and late game. Like actually having a late game.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's a bug right now where if you drop a companion, they're gone forever. Devs know about it and are working on it. So up to that point, you should be fine, unless you're running Windows 7, where a lot of folks are getting stuttering.
hmm, alright, no biggie

i can wait until lis anyways

aw350

Banned
I really wish Steam would filter out items in the queue it presents to me so that there are no "sorry, this item is unavailable in your region". Getting 3-4 "sorries" out of about 10 items is ridiculous.

So I've put about 50 hours into Beyond Earth's expansion, Rising Tide, and thought I would share my experience thus far.

Thanks a lot for this, very interesting! Much appreciated.

Tizoc

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

It's a shame that it's still a long way from its goal because I really enjoyed the demo. I also think that the developers should have tried Kickstarter, especially as it seems like they'd lose a similar amount of money in fees but the audience would have been bigger.

At least I know to grab Vallyrie Profile in the next PlayStation sale.

Has it been confirmed to be a port of the Wii version? I couldn't see anything in that article.

It is the Wii ver. because that's the one XSEED published/released originally.

[stuff]

TLDR: Overall though Rising Tide is a lot like Gods & Kings, it makes Beyond Earth more fun to play, makes the early game more interesting but there are still things that need improving in the mid and late game. Like actually having a late game.

Thanks for the impressions.

Rising Tide doesn't sound like enough to make me love BE, unfortunately. The core issue I have with it is the lack of, I don't know, flavour. Even with all these changes, it just feels like a stripped down Civilization 5 that's lacking in variables and interesting stuff to do, probably because it's shackled by being a Civilization game. I'm hoping their (presumed) late-game expansion will make the game shine for me.

Now that I think of it, I own Alpha Centauri. I really oughta fire it up and experience it for real some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom