• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Did Genesis have Super Metroid or FF6?

2EZ4SNES

Didn't need them growing up with dat slick black beast
Then again my only games were
World of Illusion
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
Sonic 2

Might've owned more but those are the ones I remember.

Don't care if HH was the weaker of Konami's TMNT beat'em-ups my brothers and I had a blast playing those games.

Actually the games I played while growing up were Arcade+Genesis. All dat Capcom, SNK, etc. arcade goodness *banderas.gif*

Come on M2, gimme dat AB Cop
A.B._Cop_-_1990_-_Sega.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
but srsly if someone is actually gonna do a console war over this shit then you're truly a sad person and i feel sorry for you

both consoles were pretty great, who gives a shit

Anteater

but srsly if someone is actually gonna do a console war over this shit then you're truly a sad person and i feel sorry for you

i don't actually think console wars exist back then, just banter, console wars only exist after the internet as far as I know, at least i didn't notice it until after the internet come into existence

edit: i mean nintendo/sega are the ones that started it in terms of advertising, but no one I knew took it it seriously

Tizoc

Agreed on them being both pretty great, although the DK Country game's graphics are my least fav. among the SNES' game library.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't actually think console wars exist back then, just banter, console wars only exist after the internet as far as I know, at least i didn't notice it until after the internet come into existence

since we didn't have sneses here i can't speak from experience, but history books have told me snes vs genesis was the first big console war and ppls back then were idiots outside of the internet

Agreed on them being both pretty great, although the DK Country game's graphics are my least fav. among the SNES' game library.
i duno what this means but sounds like something dumb

Monooboe

Yeah I think so too, or at least the "console wars" was just marketing or a press thing since most of those I knew actually had both a SNES and Genesis.

Anteater

since we didn't have sneses here i can't speak from experience, but history books have told me snes vs genesis was the first big console war

it was mostly advertising I think, back then it was mostly in magazines and stuff just to sell their hardwares, my friends and I don't have money to own all those stupid machines, we just play in each other's house so like who cares about console wars lol

Yeah I think so too, or at least the "console wars" was just marketing or a press thing since most of those I knew actually had both a SNES and Genesis.

yep

zkylon

zkylewd
i literally only know like three ppl that had sneses. there's a weirdo guy, a weirdo girl and a rich kid

argieland was weird in the 90s

zkylon

zkylewd
i had mortal kombat 3 and actually played a lot of that despite me being shocked to tears as a little kid when i first saw the violence in that game

Tizoc

since we didn't have sneses here i can't speak from experience, but history books have told me snes vs genesis was the first big console war and ppls back then were idiots outside of the internet

i duno what this means but sounds like something dumb

It's as I wrote, of all the SNES games, I find the DK Country games to have the weakest graphics, granted their 3D models are a product of its time, but I liked the 3D graphics in Sonic 3 a lot more despite the fact that they're used mainly for the intro and the special stages, but that's likely because of how more colorful and bright the colors are (or I'm likely biased towards them :p)
Sonic_%26_Knuckles_title.png

hqdefault.jpg

Not the best images I could find but compared to DK Country
DK_coin_and_Animal_buddy_Rhino.jpg
dkc2_bramble.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
sa6yk556dartwy1c2ghn.jpg

I think what I dislike about DK Country was how 'dark' or low the contrast/brightness is on the models and stages. Again the above images aren't the best examples I could find right now but yeah the brightness/contrast is what makes me not appreciate those models as much as SEGA's :/
Funnily enough Vectorman's models were rather dark too weren't they?

Where I'm from only weird people had a SEGA console

I still don't trust people who like Sonic

Unless they own a Vita right :V

Milamber

Only people who liked buying pirated MegaDrive carts own a MegaDrive instead of a SNES in my time. I'm one of the few that had an actual EU SNES.

Dr Dogg

so mixed reactions on the steam controller it seems. no good for shooters or anything that requires good precision on the camera but good for other shit. shame, was really hoping that it would be able to replace my ds4 but realistically i wasn't expecting it. Its just you know, I thought that if i believed hard enough it would happen :( Idk if i should pick one up around the holidays or wait for the 2nd version.

In my experience better than a controller but worse than a mouse. It's alright in the likes of Titanfall competitively and fine in PvE games like Borderlands, Far Cry and Mass Effect but I got my arse handed to me in Battlefield 4 in the 3 games I played with it and went back to kb&m the game after and was back to my usual standard. Interested to see how BLOPs III will play with it as the more kinetic shooters seem to work very well as I'm sure does Mirrors Edge.

My main issue is with games that their UI just doesn't play friendly with TV usage. Some are fine, other can scale up to accommodate a greater viewing distance but others like Dragon Age: Origins, while working brilliantly as an input method is a real pain to use the UI due to scaling down in size with resolution. For me it's not a straight up replacement for a controller or a mouse and some games I'd rather play behind a desk anyway but Footy Manager from the sofa (again I guess after the console versions) works like a charm and not having a hacked together method for Diablo III to use a controller on PC is pretty much what I hoped for.

AC Syndicate's looking amusing at least.

I think this is going to be intentionally and unintentionally one of the more chuckle worthy games out this year. In the footage I've seen so far the interplay between Jacob and Evie has a nice sibling slant with Jacob seeming to be a right idiot, in the lovable sense. Combine that with a slightly light hearted nature and open world Ubi jank could make for an interesting package.

Tizoc

Only people who liked buying pirated MegaDrive carts own a MegaDrive instead of a SNES in my time. I'm one of the few that had an actual EU SNES.

Ewww....50 Hz....

I was going to say yes but then you decided to hate on DKC2

There's only so much bad taste I can handle

All I said was I disliked the graphics. I do appreciate its gameplay however and Dixie's my fav. DK character, she's cute :3

zkylon

zkylewd
you know what i would like

if steam did like a console-like sound every time it turned in and every time you launched a game

like that ps1 startup music

Dr Dogg

Speaking of 16bit consoles and trying to turn this discussion towards relevance with the thread Sega actually have one of the best MegaDrive/Genesis emulators in the Classics Collection on Steam. Scales correctly, uses the right pixel aspect ratio to account for square pixels and everything I've tried runs flawlessly and at full speed with a decent raft of options and additional shaders. When you look at things like the Megaman Collection which has the wrong PAR and scales incorrectly (wrong ration and uses bilinear scaling too) as well as things like FFV the difference is night and day in terms of presentation.

I'm surprised Sega didn't try to contact other pubs that hold the rights to games released on their systems to bring them across. Castlevania Bloodlines on Steam would be cool as well as EA's and Capcom's backcatalog of MegaDrive titles. There's loads of licenced ones to but I doubt they'd see the light of day unless a lot of dough was coughed up.

Tizoc

Speaking of 16bit consoles and trying to turn this discussion towards relevance with the thread Sega actually have one of the best MegaDrive/Genesis emulators in the Classics Collection on Steam. Scales correctly, uses the right pixel aspect ratio to account for square pixels and everything I've tried runs flawlessly and at full speed with a decent raft of options and additional shaders. When you look at things like the Megaman Collection which has the wrong PAR and scales incorrectly (wrong ration and uses bilinear scaling too) as well as things like FFV the difference is night and day in terms of presentation.

I'm surprised Sega didn't try to contact other pubs that hold the rights to games released on their systems to bring them across. Castlevania Bloodlines on Steam would be cool as well as EA's and Capcom's backcatalog of MegaDrive titles. There's loads of licenced ones to but I doubt they'd see the light of day unless a lot of dough was coughed up.

How does this emulator compare to say M2's offerings? M2 did the following classic ports
Genesis Castle of Illusion on PSN
Various SEGA Classics on PSN and XBL
Various SEGA Arcade and Genesis classics on 3DS
Capcom Arcade Classics on PSN (and XBL I think)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Draknek posted this little puzzle for a key. It's probably gone, but whatever

unbenannt8iu05.jpg

My guesses:
A: (79)
B: (ART)?
C: (80) Days??
D: (P)rison (A)rchitect
E: (A)rchitect??
F: (0)
G: (X)
H: (G)

Doesn't work. Any help or ideas?

aw350

Banned
Draknek posted this little puzzle for a key. It's probably gone, but whatever

unbenannt8iu05.jpg

My guesses:
A: (79)
B: (ART)?
C: (80) Days??
D: (P)rison (A)rchitect
E: (A)rchitect??
F: (0)
G: (X)
H: (G)

Doesn't work. Any help or ideas?

B: FUN ?

Maniac

Banned
We didn't own any Nintendo consoles in my home except for the Gameboy Advance I got as a kid. We did have a PS1 & 2 that I'd bought, but we mostly played on PC, really.

Theme Hospital, Warcraft 1 & 2, Star Craft when that came out... Diablo, etcetera.

I've been a masterraceything all my life, really.

... Although nothing in the fucking world beats Spyro. RIP you magnificent bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom