• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Genesis was cool it had Michael Jackson and Alex Kid.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

33683-alex-kidd-in-the-enchanted-castle-genesis-screenshot-rock-paper.gif

But SNES was really something else

Milamber

Ewww....50 Hz....
Back in the 80's-90's it was an absolute mess living in the Middle East. Since we were between US and EU trade, We'd get both NTSC and PAL of everything electronic here. The only reason I got a PAL SNES is because there are more of the titles I wanted in PAL than in NTSC over here.

Damn looks like they flushed all the leaderboards in Pinball FX2 due to some script people were running to auto return the ball. At least KenOD no longer makes me feel completely inadequate!

ExoSoul

Banned
Draknek posted this little puzzle for a key. It's probably gone, but whatever

unbenannt8iu05.jpg

My guesses:
A: (79)
B: (ART)?
C: (80) Days??
D: (P)rison (A)rchitect
E: (A)rchitect??
F: (0)
G: (X)
H: (G)

Doesn't work. Any help or ideas?

A: MOI

Dr Dogg

Well Mass Effect has got its claws into me again. Please don't fuck up Andromeda Bioware. I hope they aren't talking bollocks when they say they want to go back to concepts like exploration in the first. I can deal with some shoot bang more so than RPGing if I get to explore Solar Systems and Planets and gawp at awesome skyboxes whilst doing to.

How does this emulator compare to say M2's offerings? M2 did the following classic ports
Genesis Castle of Illusion on PSN
Various SEGA Classics on PSN and XBL
Various SEGA Arcade and Genesis classics on 3DS
Capcom Arcade Classics on PSN (and XBL I think)

No idea but when most devs take a game that was rendered at say 320x224 and designed around displays that used nonsquare pixels then bring them over to systems that output 1280x720/1920x1080 using square pixels they tend to fuck them up for compatibilities sake. If you had a native screen capture of anything they've done you could have a look I guess. Scaled using anything other than nearest neighbour and not to a direct multiple of the output resolution would stick out like a sore thumb and you could compare the aspect ratio to a direct capture from an actual Megadrive/Genesis to see if they use the right PAR.

Miff

Which reminds me...where the heck is A hat in time? That game was supposed to be released months ago wasn't it?

Wondered about this for a while too... followed the twitter feed for a while and the gist I got was that the creator seems to focus a lot on creating cool little features and quirks for the game, at the expense of world / story building (makes sense given his modding background). I could be wrong, just that I'm overly suspicious at the "can't show anymore because spoilers" stance. Sounds like it will be a really nice, unique experience if / when the game launches. But atm I consider my kickstarter $ to a be write off.

Tizoc

Well Mass Effect has got its claws into me again. Please don't fuck up Andromeda Bioware. I hope they aren't talking bollocks when they say they want to go back to concepts like exploration in the first. I can deal with some shoot bang more so than RPGing if I get to explore Solar Systems and Planets and gawp at awesome skyboxes whilst doing to.

No idea but when most devs take a game that was rendered at say 320x224 and designed around displays that used nonsquare pixels then bring them over to systems that output 1280x720/1920x1080 using square pixels they tend to fuck them up for compatibilities sake. If you had a native screen capture of anything they've done you could have a look I guess. Scaled using anything other than nearest neighbour and not to a direct multiple of the output resolution would stick out like a sore thumb and you could compare the aspect ratio to a direct capture from an actual Megadrive/Genesis to see if they use the right PAR.

Thanks, guess I'm getting those SEGA classics the next time they go on sale XP

Knurek

Speaking of 16bit consoles and trying to turn this discussion towards relevance with the thread Sega actually have one of the best MegaDrive/Genesis emulators in the Classics Collection on Steam. Scales correctly, uses the right pixel aspect ratio to account for square pixels and everything I've tried runs flawlessly and at full speed with a decent raft of options and additional shaders. When you look at things like the Megaman Collection which has the wrong PAR and scales incorrectly (wrong ration and uses bilinear scaling too) as well as things like FFV the difference is night and day in terms of presentation.

Best of all, the roms are easily decrypted and can be used in any emulator of your choice. Completely legally.

IIRC, the Steam emulator is based on KEGA Fusion, so should be very precise.
Still prefer Retroarch for rewind and CRT filters, but it's top of the line.

Its funny how the guy is only blaming others for the failure.
"Evolve was on Sale" lmao.
The biggest reason why it failed is, that it doesnt look any fun.

I'd say any combination of indie and multiplayer-only is pretty much a death sentence for any game.

Hektor

Its funny how the guy is only blaming others for the failure.
"Evolve was on Sale" lmao.

The biggest reason why it failed is, that it doesnt look any fun.

Whenever i see devs talking about why their game failed, they always talk about stuff outside of their control, but never about the actual quality of their game.

I'd say any combination of indie and multiplayer-only is pretty much a death sentence for any game.

I dunno, Killing Floor, Rocket League and Chivalry, all have been quite succesful.

lazygecko

Has anyone else had issues with completing transactions on Steam lately? I keep getting "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." throughout the weekend.

AHA-Lambda

woot, Transformers beat, and only 5 games to go to 52 now ^_^

it was on ps4 =/

On the other hand still trudging through Witcher 1 (game is so padded!) and Human Resource Machine is still handing me my ass! >_<

Dr Dogg

Hmmmm...
Digital Foundry: Bluepoint has worked directly with the codebases of some of the most talented console developers in the business, from across the globe. How long does it take to acquaint yourself with a project? Are some codebases easier to work with than others?

Marco Thrush: Every project is a unique snowflake. Sometimes things just click into place, you get a code/data drop, you compile it and can run it right away (with a mostly working PC version to boot). Other times it can take months just to get the original version of the game compiling and running again. This is mostly due to the very special build environments that are required for a codebase that just evolves over a long time at a developer. Other times it's due to not having proper archives and you have to figure out where you get that missing information/code from. All the people working here have been in the industry for a long time and had to deal with different code bases all the time, so that definitely helps as well.

dex3108

Developed on and running outside of a development environment are 2 very different things.

And where we can see Uncharted running on PC outside development environment? Bluepoint is also developer so it is nothing unusual. You can play any console game on PC if you go to the studio that made it (probably only in editor but you can play it).

Dr Dogg

And where we can see Uncharted running on PC outside development environment? Bluepoint is also developer so it is nothing unusual. You can play any console game on PC if you go to the studio that made it (probably only in editor but you can play it).

A mostly working PC version from compiled code pretty much states that unlike say games that are running within a debug environment design to run that code before it's compiled to your export platform. Then you have systems or frameworks that have certain libraries or APIs that are not native to a Windows system. It is not the same.

Uzzy

Been playing Grey Goo for a bit, and no matter what else, Frank Klepacki has certainly put together another damn good soundtrack.

Knurek

The reason is much simpler, why would I buy a game that has an expiration date?

Well, truth be told, all Steam games have expiration date.
Sooner or later Gabe will not be with us, and his beneficiaries might just want to sell the business to the highest bidder. :\
Can you imagine Ubisoft, or EA's owned Steam lasting long?

Milamber

Sooner or later Gabe will not be with us, and his beneficiaries might just want to sell the business to the highest bidder. :\

Would we, all us in GAF right now, even care anymore by then?

dex3108

A mostly working PC version from compiled code pretty much states that unlike say games that are running within a debug environment design to run that code before it's compiled to your export platform. Then you have systems or frameworks that have certain libraries or APIs that are not native to a Windows system. It is not the same.

One way or another we won't see that version anywhere and it probably means that that is their development workflow. If we want to see console exclusive games we need to look at MS Studios, Sony will never release game on PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

This seems to be a common fear, but I really don't understand where it comes from. If you read interviews with Valve employees who aren't Gabe, you'll see that everybody is acutely aware that Valve is where it is because of its relatively unique structure, and it would gain nothing by going public.

Knurek

This seems to be a common fear, but I really don't understand where it comes from. If you read interviews with Valve employees who aren't Gabe, you'll see that everybody is acutely aware that Valve is where it is because of its relatively unique structure, and it would gain nothing by going public.

I'm not talking about Valve going public.
I'm talking about the owner of Valve dying and his inheritors (whoever they are, wife, children, whoever) wanting to cash out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom