• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Sakura games actually look like something that could interest me. But holy shit what will my friends say.

I can't buy something and not having it show up, right?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

PixelJunk™ Shooter Ultimate

y5Yo2CV.jpg

They gave away so many and I still couldn't win one. They even removed it from the last vault because they thought "everyone" has one by now ;_;

Watch the stream tonight, you'll have another chance for one. Usually when they co-op Portal 2, they raffle them out. (It says Valve Complete Pack on the event page, but Lenard usually interchanges the two names mistakenly and they redeem as F&F.)

Deitus

Those Sakura games actually look like something that could interest me. But holy shit what will my friends say.

I can't buy something and not having it show up, right?

If you buy it from an external site (like Humble Bundle), it won't show up in your activity feed as having bought it, but it will still be visible in your game library, and people will be able to see when you are playing it (and how many hours you've played). There's no way to hide this, and while you can go into offline mode to play, so as not to give all your friends a popup notification, it will still show up on your profile where it lists recently played games.

You could always buy a non-steam version of the game, but really you should just play better visual novels. :p

Vlad

Ugh, that's one of those games that I really wanted to like with all the focus on fluid physics being part of the gameplay, but it was just so damn boring.

And speaking of so damn boring, that brings me to Ys Origin.

I went into this one fairly blind, after all the hype for the Ys games. I'm up to the third boss at the moment (the girl with the pitchfork), and the game just isn't grabbing me so far. I think it's the total lack of nuance in the combat. So far all the fighting has just been run up, mash attack a bunch, repeat. While the bosses have been somewhat interesting and challenging, I'm finding the in-between parts to just be a bore. The samey level design doesn't help much either. So far it's all just been a series of blue and blue-green rooms with very few distinguishing features, leading to lots of wandering around lost.

Is this what the whole game's like, or do things change drastically eventually?

oti

Banned
If you want to participate in GOTY discussions you should probably play through MGS. There's a lot to talk about, and it's a great game. The good parts far outwheigh the bad.

I am totally gonna get the game, initally I just wanted to wait a bit longer for the price to go down. But seeing how long the game is I don't wanna rush things in December just to get to the ending and not get spoiled. I've heard plenty of times that people play it for 100h aren't even near the end so I gotta start playing sooner rather than later I figured.

derExperte

Man, I've become spoiled by generous developers giving free upgrades to existing owners, ala Wasteland 2, Divinity OS and so on, so much so that I was searching for the Ultimate edition in my library.o_O

If you didn't know it includes Shooter 2 which wasn't available before on PC.

A little late to respond but...

YWVHngK.png

The "Friends and Family" pack they added to my account is different than the "Valve Complete Pack" you can purchase from the store during holiday sales though.

Did you get this e-mail out of nowhere because you preordered or was it from a ticket or complaint you filed?

Wondering because I technically preordered, like 2 days ago.

Dr Dogg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did you get this e-mail out of nowhere because you preordered or was it from a ticket or complaint you filed?

Wondering because I technically preordered, like 2 days ago.

Out of the blue because I pre-ordered. I think everyone that ordered the "first batch" of controllers and such that were delivered last week got this.

chronomac

Why hello there. I beat the original a few months ago and would totally be down for more.

Is everyone getting the 35% off discount, or is it just for owners of the original?

It's 10% for everyone, 25% extra for old owners. I realized I could log out of my account to see it.

Milamber

I dropped a few hours into the game last night and was super impressed with the whole package.

Looks gorgeous. Ship design is authentic with enough flourishes to give the world a unique feel. TONS of special effects firing off all at once (lens flares, motion blur, tessellation). In spite of that, the game runs liquid smooth. Must be incredibly optimized as I've got everything running on Ultra settings and am still getting 60+ fps.

Sounds fantastic. The slide-guitar soundtrack is immersive as heck, giving the universe a dirty, Firefly feel. Dynamic as heck too, smartly weaving in reflective, "long-haul trucking" tunes with guitar-chunking combat sequences and quieter space-station tunes. Atmospheric sounds are equally impressive, with chunky ordinance & explosions as well as hyperspace & drive systems. Very full sounds all around.

Gameplay feels like an arcade version of Elite: Dangerous. Everything feels a bit more streamlined without losing any depth. You've still got all the fighting, collecting & trading found in these types of space sims, but the systems feel more immediate and accessible.

Obviously playing a space game on a 2D plain is going to be the biggest eyebrow-raiser, and I was happy to discover that it actually gosh-darn works. It's strange at first, that's for sure. But after a bit of acclimation, I found myself warming up to the naval battleship-like combat. Taking away an axis actually helps us pleebs that don't own a flight stick. It gave me more metal space and physical dexterity to deal with the tons of other combat awareness activities such as countermeasures, varying turret nodes, temporary shield usage, ship orientation for deflector shields, etc.

In the end this radical can be make or break for some, but I think it's a nice alternative for a more casual gameplay experience. I'll always have my Elite to dive into if I want a more demanding sim-like experience.

Finally, a note on the team size and base price of the game. The amount of polish layered on this game really betrays the game's humble origins. It makes sense when you consider the two guys who founded the company comprised of the co-founder of Runic (Torchlight series) and lead designer of Diablo 1, 2 and Hellgate.

Still to have a small dev team deliver a package this polished and cohesive in design and execution is pretty incredible. And at a $20 price point is almost absurd. It really brings home the idea of the purity of singular vision as opposed to focus-tested design by committee.

So yeah, the game has left its mark on my in just the short while I've been playing it. Looks like it's got legs between the story mode and sandbox universe that will follow. Two big thumbs up thus far.

Wow, everything about that sounds great. the 2D only plane is a sad point but everything about it seems amazing. Thanks.

KainXVIII

Why hello there. I beat the original a few months ago and would totally be down for more.

Is everyone getting the 35% off discount, or is it just for owners of the original?

I got 40%, nice from them.
Also you can transfer save files from PJS1 to Ultimate version.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of steadfast, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (steadfast, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed -- MB-882D83CE3349660B - Taken by Nyteshade517. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-FA1934BCED09B204 - Taken by aw350. 24 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Bionic Commando: Rearmed was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for DmC: Devil May Cry was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1445485238z1.png

Parsnip

is that a second game or an expansion of the first

almost finished the first in co-op. might as well finish it alone

No context, so I'm guessing Pixeljunk shooter?
It's both games in one package with upgraded (optional) graphix and some other new features. Your Shooter 1 Steam save is compatible too, or so they say.

Watch the stream tonight, you'll have another chance for one. Usually when they co-op Portal 2, they raffle them out. (It says Valve Complete Pack on the event page, but Lenard usually interchanges the two names mistakenly and they redeem as F&F.)
Thanks for the heads-up. Will try my luck.
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/618460171315130904/

Seems you can rename those game titles that are bugging you...
Bookmarked. Cool.
Underdog Ubisoft... gonna get used to that image very slowly.

Maniac

Banned
You mean white
Unless, you one of those people

Eww, nononono. Eww. I just thought it was more... Light-grey-lookin than white.
Damn, I actually couldn't remember their color (and can't be bothered to go back to the previous page), but black seemed a perfectly good color for spoilers.

(also I'm on the dark theme, so for me they are white :D )

I'm dark-theme aswell. Always thought they looked a tad greyish, but I'm seemingly mistaken.

Copons

Eww, nononono. Eww. I just thought it was more... Light-grey-lookin than white.

I'm dark-theme aswell. Always thought they looked a tad greyish, but I'm seemingly mistaken.

Went to check: they are grey indeed (#CCCCC / 204, 204, 204).
I feel stupid now. :(

chronomac

From the PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate update:
Discounts?
As a reward for fans of the series, all owners of PixelJunk Shooter will receive a 20% coupon, all owners of any PixelJunk Series title will receive an additional 5% off per game. This could also include the already 10% off sale price for an up to max of 45% off PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate. These coupons will be active through Steam, as well as select other retailers and they will expire November 3rd.
I own all the PixelJunk games but am only seeing 35% off, so I'll wait for it to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom