• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would Tales from BLands count for he steam goty this year :X

In years past we've always counted episodic games by the date of their first episode, not their last. Having one or the other is good because if several episodes of the same game release in different years, it keeps the game from being eligible twice. However, this caused massive confusion last year with The Wolf Among Us.

Tales from the Borderlands got a single vote last year, placing it in 57th place.

If everyone agrees, we might change that rule this year to only allow episodic games whose last episode released that year rather than the first. Thoughts?

Hektor

Now off to TfTB Ep. 5.

In years past we've always counted episodic games by the date of their first episode, not their last. Having one or the other is good because if several episodes of the same game release in different years, it keeps the game from being eligible twice. However, this caused massive confusion last year with The Wolf Among Us.

Tales from the Borderlands got a single vote last year, placing it in 57th place.

If everyone agrees, we might change that rule this year, to only allow episodic games whose last episode released that year, rather than the first. Thoughts?

That makes more sense in my eyes, its hard for an episodic game to leave a lasting impression with the first episode alone and a bad last episode can retroactivley worsen the expereince you had with the first 4.

Tizoc

You know Life is Strange deserves credit for managing to release all its episodes in 1 year but in a timely manner.
The devs said a new ep. would be ready after 6 weeks, and although a few ended up being released more than 6 weeks after the last, they still managed to keep it rather timely IMO and did it a heck of a lot better than Telltale had :p

If everyone agrees, we might change that rule this year, to only allow episodic games whose last episode released that year, rather than the first. Thoughts?

I'd agree to that.

AHA-Lambda

That makes more sense in my eyes, its hard for an episodic game to leave a lasting impression with the first episode alone and a bad last episode can retroactivley worsen the expereince you had with the first 4.

Agreed. It makes more sense for last episode as then you can judge the season as a whole.

Though for extreme cases like Kentucky Route Zero, I don't know what you'd do :/

Zeknurn

Speaking of which, is it possible to vote for Dota 2 since it went into beta and was released this year?

Knurek

Ohh, ohh, Advance Wars with Fire Emblem skin on Steam?

13C3348A189C4F1A449ED11170E190D394C7B477

Part of new Greenlight Bundle on Groupees

Phawx

Man.

I backed the Space Venture kickstarter three years ago (jeezus, can't believe it's been that long) and as most of these things go, crap happens, bit off more than they could chew, etc etc.

Now they are releasing a "mini-game" which was supposed to be inside of Space Venture as a greenlight title to try and raise more funds.

derExperte

That doesn't look super great, I think I prefer the original art style.

Also crazy that they're remaking the first one without the second one ever appearing on the platform. I assume Sony has that one on lockdown, or it would've come out already.

Me too.

Part 2 is included. Next port Sidescroller please.

Durante

Also crazy that they're remaking the first one without the second one ever appearing on the platform. I assume Sony has that one on lockdown, or it would've come out already.
It's both of them.

Ugh, that's one of those games that I really wanted to like with all the focus on fluid physics being part of the gameplay, but it was just so damn boring.

And speaking of so damn boring, that brings me to Ys Origin.

I went into this one fairly blind, after all the hype for the Ys games. I'm up to the third boss at the moment (the girl with the pitchfork), and the game just isn't grabbing me so far. I think it's the total lack of nuance in the combat. So far all the fighting has just been run up, mash attack a bunch, repeat. While the bosses have been somewhat interesting and challenging, I'm finding the in-between parts to just be a bore. The samey level design doesn't help much either. So far it's all just been a series of blue and blue-green rooms with very few distinguishing features, leading to lots of wandering around lost.

Is this what the whole game's like, or do things change drastically eventually?

The game structure is fairly the same but the levels are sort of themed later on. Like water or jungle and the like. It is still all within the tower though.

If you get to the point where you have multiple action abilities and are still not feeling it then your opinion probably wont change. It is slow at the beginning however.

Corpekata

Banned

I'd bet it is more likely the didn't feel it was worth porting 2 alone given they would have been porting 2 around the same time Ultimate hit other platforms.

If everyone agrees, we might change that rule this year to only allow episodic games whose last episode released that year rather than the first. Thoughts?
Can't judge an unfinished game, it should be the date of the last episode that counts because otherwise a game could have an amazing first episode and the rest be shit and still win GOTY

Vlad

The game structure is fairly the same but the levels are sort of themed later on. Like water or jungle and the like. It is still all within the tower though.

If you get to the point where you have multiple action abilities and are still not feeling it then your opinion probably wont change. It is slow at the beginning however.

So far, I've just got the spinning attack, which isn't really all that useful in combat anyway. What's weird is that the when you start out, the game shows you all these different moves you can do, yet every single enemy so far can be defeated by just running up to them and mashing attack until they're dead, making all the fancy jumping and lunging attacks irrelevant.

So far, I've just got the spinning attack, which isn't really all that useful in combat anyway. What's weird is that the when you start out, the game shows you all these different moves you can do, yet every single enemy so far can be defeated by just running up to them and mashing attack until they're dead, making all the fancy jumping and lunging attacks irrelevant.

That depends on your playstyle. Also, all the fancy jumping and lunging does have more relevance when you face more variety of enemies.

What difficulty are you playing it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom