• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Always wait for the final or close to it to finally buy abd play it, its my motto. And in Telltale's case you can even get their games at 66% off before the finale arrives, so there's very little sense buying the game at episode 1 launch.

zkylon

zkylewd
how many hours did lis take everybody

took me like 31 hours i'd say

thing about leaks these days is that day 1 patches are getting pretty huge, so you never know how much leaks represent the "final" game.

that being said it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be really bad, it's gathered so little fanfare despite having such a great setting that it feels like ubi's purposely hiding it

yeah...that Magic Actions does the same (gives you a lightswitch in the corner so you can switch back and forth)
yeah, i just always prefer to install something that just does what i want, i feel like i wouldn't even care for all the extras that extension comes with

UghAnd speaking of so damn boring, that brings me to Ys Origin.

I went into this one fairly blind, after all the hype for the Ys games. I'm up to the third boss at the moment (the girl with the pitchfork), and the game just isn't grabbing me so far. I think it's the total lack of nuance in the combat. So far all the fighting has just been run up, mash attack a bunch, repeat. While the bosses have been somewhat interesting and challenging, I'm finding the in-between parts to just be a bore. The samey level design doesn't help much either. So far it's all just been a series of blue and blue-green rooms with very few distinguishing features, leading to lots of wandering around lost.

Is this what the whole game's like, or do things change drastically eventually?
just caught this, kind of mirrors my feelings with the ys game i played

bosses were fun, but everything in between was mashy and boring, and the story never did anything for me

i dunno who said they were easy, personally i thought it was pretty challenging tho im terrible at videogames so w/e

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Gabe Newell Simulator -- MB-E343D28FC30F8113 - Taken by madjoki
Stoorm: Full Edition -- MB-E1B8C065D43EF44B - Taken by ExoSoul
Korwin The Game -- MB-909211212BF234C0 - Taken by Eila
Bernie Needs Love -- MB-5F629A0304140347 - Taken by Kurt Russell

Actually, the bosses have been plenty challenging. This "girl-with-pitchfork" boss is actually rather annoyingly difficult and is making me wish the game had some sort of block or dodge button. I always pick "normal" or whatever the "regular" difficulty is in games that give the option. I always figured that "normal" is the option intended as the "standard" experience. It's not really that I'm finding the enemies too easy, it's just that the combat in general is rather dull.

Well, just keyboard, as there doesn't seem to be any benefit to using the mouse. You're telling me to walk and hit attack, while the game's saying to walk, stop, then hit attack. Either way, from my googling it seems I'm far from the only person having this issue. On top of that, I think the boss I'm currently at combined with the half-baked combat system is starting to put me off of the game anyway.
Dude...Epona is easy...There's a strategy and timing to beat her.

Learn her patterns and then you'll know when to attack and dodge.

Like I said, when the character moves in the assigned direction, make sure you took only one step.

Once you go back to a standing position, quickly press the attack button. I did add in the brackets to let the animation complete >_>

Annubis

Man, do I wait for D:OS 2.0 and ignore Zesty until I'm done with that or start Zesty and then cue D:OS 2.0 after.

Hard choice...

It's already known there are Day 1 patches for AC Syndicate to address issues (and the OP of that thread even says so) but still goes into detail of issues that the patches can improve...I'd wait for those to be released and tested before coming to any conclusions about the game

I like what I've seen of the game and plan on getting it for PC next month

Benedict

This should work, but there is a small possibility it won't.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vessel -- MB-2DF1DA8A17A11263 - Taken by Spirited

Arthea

Dude...Epona is easy...There's a strategy and timing to beat her.

Learn her patterns and then you'll know when to attack and dodge.

Like I said, when the character moves in the assigned direction, make sure you took only one step.

Once you go back to a standing position, quickly press the attack button. I did add in the brackets to let the animation complete >_>

yeah, pretty much everything is easy when you did it ten thousand times already before! not for the first time, it isn't

Shadownet

Banned
Is anyone else feeling like Zestiria got some inspirations from Ocarina of Time?

Hylake = Hyrule

even the surrounding area of Hylake has a similar feel to Hyrule.

Kiru

24 hours for me. I take my time and investigate every little bit and make sure I don't miss anything... Also those optional photos were tricky at times.

Tizoc

Milamber alert

OK so the new comics bundle has some interesting titles in it, all I can say from seeing the comics offered is that the art is good
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

But the fact you get the original 90s Witchblade comic for as little as $1 is a good bargain
Note that tier 3 features Sunstone, at elast 1 ComicGAFfer can vouch for this series. All I know about it is that it has fantastic art and lesbians.

So yeah consider getting it :p

Lomax

Milamber alert

OK so the new comics bundle has some interesting titles in it, all I can say from seeing the comics offered is that the art is good

But the fact you get the original 90s Witchblade comic for as little as $1 is a good bargain
Note that tier 3 features Sunstone, at elast 1 ComicGAFfer can vouch for this series. All I know about it is that it has fantastic art and lesbians.

Wow, there's a ton of stuff in that bundle. Like a bunch of the listings are for the full series, things like Rising Stars.

Hektor

Damn. TfTB Ep. 5 is reaaaaally good. A very satisfying finale for the game. You should play it.

If a decent amount of the money goes to the actual YT-Channels, i'd consider doing that. As of now, im adblocking this site but support my favorite creators through paypal.

Salsa

shoulda bought tales from bonerlands on that humble build your bundle

will grab on next sale maybe. hard to care with borderlands and all but reception has been good enough

Nabs

Always wait for the final or close to it to finally buy abd play it, its my motto. And in Telltale's case you can even get their games at 66% off before the finale arrives, so there's very little sense buying the game at episode 1 launch.

It works as a general rule, but there's no way I could handle all that LiS babble in one go. Spreading it out across the year was perfect for me, it was also nice to be able to read impressions as we played through episodes.

I guess getting LiS for 7 bucks a month after release changed things for me.

15 hours. I didn't care about the optional photographs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I said this yesterday, but again, remind me NEVER to make a Guitar Hero thread ever again. I'm just going to ignore it now, I've received some unpleasant emails over it and some fans in the topic are calling me out as if I'm trying to propagate or doing some disgusting misinformation with some agenda or something.

ArjanN

I always pick "normal" or whatever the "regular" difficulty is in games that give the option. I always figured that "normal" is the option intended as the "standard" experience. It's not really that I'm finding the enemies too easy, it's just that the combat in general is rather dull.

The problem is the "standand" experience is aimed at the gerenal audience half of which probably only started gaming this generation or never played this genre of game before,, so nowadays for the majority of games, normal actually means easy.

There are execeptions of course, so generally I check around to see what the buzz around a game is, but IMO for experienced gamers, hard is generally more likely to be the 'right' difficulty.

Ys is an older game though. personally I think the Ys games as best on Nightmare as that forces you to learn enemy patterns and you can't just tank your way through battles, but I know that isn't for everyone.

zkylon

zkylewd
wat. I haven't played the last Ep. yet, but 3 hours each for 1-3 and 4 ish for Ep 4
aren't u a fast one

Speaking of GOTYs, how many will have Grow Home in their top fives? Was such a lovely game.
i really want to play that game, it looks lovely as u say and that's a trait i wish more games i played had (which is mostly me playing too many fucking grimdark games and crap)

It works as a general rule, but there's no way I could handle all that LiS babble in one go. Spreading it out across the year was perfect for me, it was also nice to be able to read impressions as we played through episodes.
i agree, sharing impressions and theories and excitement through a season is something that i love about episodic games, wouldn't miss that for anything

15 hours. I didn't care about the optional photographs.
i only did the optionals in the first episode :p

Hektor

I said this yesterday, but again, remind me NEVER to make a Guitar Hero thread ever again. I'm just going to ignore it now, I've received some unpleasant emails over it and some fans in the topic are calling me out as if I'm trying to propagate or doing some disgusting misinformation with some agenda or something.

Wot? People send you angry emails over a thread here on gaf? Am i understanding that right?

I've said what I wanted in that AC thread...reading people's responses there reminded me (yet again) why I try to stay out of almost all threads on here except here and an OT if it's for a game I bought

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wot? People send you angry emails over a Thread here on gaf? AM i understanding that right?

Yes, woke up this morning to a couple. I'm going to go back to playing Tales of Zestiria though. Which I will throw out there, is actually a lot better than I expected it to be.

I've said what I wanted in that AC thread...reading people's responses there reminded me (yet again) why I try to stay out of almost all threads on here except here and an OT if it's for a game I bought

Be careful when outside the STEAM thread. You have plenty of examples of what not to do though.

Momentary

Banned
Hurricane of the Varstray developer, Rocket-Engine, has released a series of new teaser videos for the game. They keep flip flopping between Valstray and Varstray. I'm guessing it's Valstray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qNTRVReM4&list=PL_9eKDMAXnPImH7hA-vhPkPG25DmdAb0D

Looks like it says something about December at the end of each video, but I can't understand it.

There are 5 videos in all. They've also included new screenshots on their Greenlight page.

4D772436E65EDAC60C14DCFBB5CCE62C58158241
CCBEF905E185A412F7924DA54C193EC2621636D5
65AE33A37D43CF61CFE9D8A756BAD83F7E2E3F21
66F2017404D30E66AFF423890D5B8C4CC5C119C8
4C7A0819ED4733F8400862FAEF7EFAD5B6D60264
9E8869CBF249C781A738430A15E96C03FDD6FBE3

Nabs

Sheesh. Never mess with Rockband or Guitar Hero GAF.

dex3108

Hate in gaming world is getting to the ridiculous levels and that is just sad.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's an unfortunate situation really, because I saw the thread and I thought it brought up a valid point worth discussing. But all the rabid fanboys came out with their "we knew this all along!" and "this is better than paying $2 per song hur dur" arguments got in the way of the true discussion that needs to take place.

To hear that you're getting unpleasant emails/PMs over the thread - it might be time to reach out to a moderator.

Parsnip

Momentary

Banned
Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! support from ASW is outstanding. They listen to feedback and update their game accordingly. Hopefully when this game gets it's first sale more people will show ASW and EXAMU some love.

milena87

Steam says 13 hours, but it seems kinda low.
I talked with pretty much everyone, checked everything and got all the photos. I didn't read much of the recap diary, but I've read all the messages.

Messiah

Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! support from ASW is outstanding. They listen to feedback and update their game accordingly. Hopefully when this game gets it's first sale more people will show ASW and EXAMU some love.

Yeah, I feel like ArcSys did really well with the games they ported themselves recently (AH3 and Guilty Gear AC+R). Ranging from giving out information about the port upfront in the community hub to supporting the game post launch and reacting to feedback.

The game is loads of fun as well.

dex3108

that thread is pretty much "One guy says it's bad...others say positive things...random guy who says it's bad must be right...the end"

Worst things is that people are now using plural and saying that there are negative impressions when actually there is only one "negative" impression where guy/girl contradict itself on multiple occasions and mostly talks about graphic. But i won't even bother replying seriously :D I learned long time ago that there is no right side in Gaming part of the GAF :D

Messi

Milamber alert

Sunstone is my fave comic I have ever read. Anyone getting this please pay the 15 and get the 3 volumes of Sunstone. This book deserves your support as it is heartfelt and genuine.

Jawmuncher

So how does a refund work anyone if you bought your DLC from offsite?
no one has an answer to this? Does your ownership just sit in reserve until you possibly buy the game again (because that's what I want).

But I'm just confused since you can't own DLC without owning a game.

MUnited83

For you.
It's an unfortunate situation really, because I saw the thread and I thought it brought up a valid point worth discussing. But all the rabid fanboys came out with their "we knew this all along!" and "this is better than paying $2 per song hur dur" arguments got in the way of the true discussion that needs to take place.

To hear that you're getting unpleasant emails/PMs over the thread - it might be time to reach out to a moderator.
I dont think people saying that they knew it all along and its better than paying 2$ per song are wrong though. Personal attacks and insults yeah, extremely out of hand. I dont see the evil on pointing out that it has been known since several months ago, and that it isn't that terrible of a system unless you play in a specific way.
I ain't buying it because I'm a rocksmith convert now, but I would definitely be interested on it otherwise, having a library of 250 songs and that grows overtime, even with some limitations , would be great for me as a casual GH player. I dont think it's really a "evil" system. The prices of the micro-transactions seem a bit too ridiculous, but for the ones playing without MTs the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, at least for me that is.

Jazz573

Milamber alert

I'm surprised they haven't done a Manga bundle yet. Licensing too expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom