• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! support from ASW is outstanding. They listen to feedback and update their game accordingly. Hopefully when this game gets it's first sale more people will show ASW and EXAMU some love.

It's a fighting game so 90% of the people will just idle in it in here. It's a really fun game though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I dont think people saying that they knew it all along and its better than paying 2$ per song are wrong though. Personal attacks and insults yeah, extremely out of hand. I dont see the evil on pointing out that it has been known since several months ago, and that it isn't that terrible of a system unless you play in a specific way.
I ain't buying it because I'm a rocksmith convert now, but I would definitely be interested on it otherwise, having a library of 250 songs and that grows overtime, even with some limitations , would be great for me as a casual GH player. I dont think it's really a "evil" system. The prices of the micro-transactions seem a bit too ridiculous, but for the ones playing without MTs the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, at least for me that is.

I agree with you 100%. But (like all things music) it comes down to personal preference really. It's like arguing the merits of iTunes vs Pandora - both can be extremely successful and neither service is "wrong" or "evil" - it all depends on how you want to consume your music. If you don't mind paying $2 per track to have the ability to listen to your music any time you want, iTunes is a great choice. If you like discovering new music in defined genres, Pandora is certainly the less expensive option. But you can't launch Pandora and play any song you'd like on a whim over and over again.

Now go re-read that sentence again and replace iTunes with Rock Band, and Pandora with Guitar Hero Live. Same thing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
While the game itself will miss another Halloween, Senscape has posted the entire intro for their Kickstarted Asylum.

They also recently added a batch of new screenshots as a public update over the weekend!

ZXo1Ude.jpg

z97eBKO.jpg

Dr Dogg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Resident Evil 5 -- MB-F32AD524DCD9FD85 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-F045E0276E734EC0 - Taken by yoshizzle
Tower of Guns -- MB-34F02852848532D2 - Taken by Purkake4
DeadCore -- MB-CA01327FB9B91B8C - Taken by bloke
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-7C9C4301C1AC83AB
Resident Evil 4 -- MB-C9D15112CE1ED719 - Taken by darkchewie
Platformines -- MB-3D192A3C985B8448 - Taken by madjoki
The Sims 3 -- MB-4FD670FA60F28E74 - Taken by Eila
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West -- MB-BA8C255EEB1C607C - Taken by Henry Swanson
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-695FB9C7A5E3789E - Taken by crazyrabbits
Eldritch -- MB-960A4ECE95B082CD - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-74179536A6A52B0E - Taken by aw350
Home -- MB-15B54A2A5ADAF346 - Taken by Loptous

Monooboe

Ohh goodie I was worried our daily 'Show me on the doll where Yves Guillemot touched you' thread was going to be late. You know I really hate some games, some genres too (*glares at tower defence games*) but I'm certainly not going to make it my mission to tell the world how they fill me with disgust at any given opportunity they are brought up. I do you folks' heads in enough as it is!

I did promise myself to try and just be positive about things and if I can't just not talk about it... but AC just gets to me.XD

Durante

Wot? People send you angry emails over a thread here on gaf? Am i understanding that right?
I've had people take to the comment section of my blog of all things to tell me their opinion on some of my posts here on GAF (often, their opinion boils down to how terrible PC gaming is). Which is particularly amusing since all comments there are approval-only. Anyway, the point is that people do insane things on the internet, and often it's best to just ignore them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where is jasec when you need him.

So let me get this straight - you bought the game on Steam, then you bought DLC somewhere else and activated it on Steam. Now you are wanting to refund the base game, and you're wondering what happens to your DLC? Is that the gist of it?

In that instance, I believe that your DLC remains on your account in the event that you purchase the game again in the future. That's because activating said DLC gives you access to a particular subid on Steam that contains the content. When activating the DLC it simply checks "MustOwnAppToPurchase" to make sure you own the base game, but once that subscription is active on your account it should stay active indefinitely. I'm mostly certain that removing the base game from your account (via refund) won't invalidate your subscription to the DLC content.

BUT you obviously won't be able to access the DLC once the base game is refunded.

AND your results may vary, as I've never actually heard of anyone doing that before and what the outcome was.

I've had people take to the comment section of my blog of all things to tell me their opinion on some of my posts here on GAF (often, their opinion boils down to how terrible PC gaming is). Which is particularly amusing since all comments there are approval-only. Anyway, the point is that people do insane things on the internet, and often it's best to just ignore them.

Amen to that.

Jawmuncher

So let me get this straight - you bought the game on Steam, then you bought DLC somewhere else and activated it on Steam. Now you are wanting to refund the base game, and you're wondering what happens to your DLC? Is that the gist of it?

In that instance, I believe that your DLC remains on your account in the event that you purchase the game again in the future. That's because activating said DLC gives you access to a particular subid on Steam that contains the content. When activating the DLC it simply checks "MustOwnAppToPurchase" to make sure you own the base game, but once that subscription is active on your account it should stay active indefinitely. I'm mostly certain that removing the base game from your account (via refund) won't invalidate your subscription to the DLC content.

BUT you obviously won't be able to access the DLC once the base game is refunded.

AND your results may vary, as I've never actually heard of anyone doing that before and what the outcome was.

Amen to that.

Thank you this is the exact answer I was needing. Just wanted some confirmation.

Momentary

Banned
I asked this in the Zestiria OT:

Why is the game running at 30fps on PC, but it looks like it purposely "throttles" enemy animations and character animations that are far away. It even does it when there are a ton of enemies on the screen at once. The thing is, the game is running everything else at 30fps. Is this some sort of technique they implemented with the PS3 version of the game to help with performance and they just forgot to take it out of the PC/PS4 version. I'm guessing that it happens on the PS4 version as well.

Or is it just me that's experiencing this?

MUnited83

For you.
I agree with you 100%. But (like all things music) it comes down to personal preference really. It's like arguing the merits of iTunes vs Pandora - both can be extremely successful and neither service is "wrong" or "evil" - it all depends on how you want to consume your music. If you don't mind paying $2 per track to have the ability to listen to your music any time you want, iTunes is a great choice. If you like discovering new music in defined genres, Pandora is certainly the less expensive option. But you can't launch Pandora and play any song you'd like on a whim over and over again.

Now go re-read that sentence again and replace iTunes with Rock Band, and Pandora with Guitar Hero Live. Same thing.
Well, yeah, exactly, that's exactly it.
The thing is that the thread was a bit doomed from the start in regards of discussion because of how it was worded. It was nothing more than some angry tweets claiming Activision was the devil and this new thing is something absolutely awful that will ruin videogames . Cue then two types of people entering the thread: the people who already hate Activision and see every thing they do as evil so they are going to the thread just to tell everyone how evil they are, and people who were informed about the game that were a bit aggravated because of the situation was framed as in the initial post.

Dusk Golem did his best by editing the relevant information people told him into the OP, but by then the discussion was already tainted :/

Amen to that.

This seems correct, now that I see you interpret the original comment.
Usually the subs are different than the main game, so as long as you only refund the main game, the sub for the DLC should stay active on the account and if the main game is ever repurchased, the DLC should still be usable.

It would've been much clearer from the start if Jaw had given details/example.

Dusk Golem did his best by editing the relevant information people told him into the OP, but by then the discussion was already tainted :/

Sounds like every thread on GAF.

zkylon

zkylewd

Why is the game running at 30fps on PC, but it looks like it purposely "throttles" enemy animations and character animations that are far away. It even does it when there are a ton of enemies on the screen at once. The thing is, the game is running everything else at 30fps. Is this some sort of technique they implemented with the PS3 version of the game to help with performance and they just forgot to take it out of the PC/PS4 version. I'm guessing that it happens on the PS4 version as well.

it's not uncommon for animations that are far away to be played at a lower framerate to save performance, yea. iirc dark souls also does that, tho it's rare to see it since it's mostly tight spaces, not open field

dunno about zetistria, but yeah that's most likely not a bug, just a performance optimization that you probably won't notice from the couch. they probably didn't remove it cos removing that stuff = lots more testing and testing is timeconsuming/expensive

Even if it has spiders?
i mean it's not my genre so im not gonna play it anyways, but even if the guy had a bit of a tantrum about kickstarter on gamasutra i've find him likeable and competent in the past

i'm not officially vouching for him or anything, i just enjoy seeing argie games go somewhere

Grief.exe

Interesting section from Durante's article.

QLOC did remove the 30 FPS lock from RE4 by, I believe, just halving the rate at which animations display. Must not have been as easy this time.

I spent around three hours looking into how the game performs its frame pacing and regulates animation speed. That’s not a lot of time when it comes to reverse engineering, but at this point I’d say the odds for a simplistic framerate unlock are rather bad. I did get the game to run at different framerates, both lower and higher than 30, with a lot of unstable and ill-advised hackery: changing the results of various Windows API functions which report and measure time, preventing the game threads from sleeping, and other heavy-handed adjustments which could just as well break a program entirely. Zestiria didn’t break during my short testing, but as expected everything I tried affected the number of frames delivered as well as the speed of animations and gameplay equally, with no sign of any possibility to independently adjust the two.

http://www.pcgamer.com/tales-of-zestiria-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/#page-2

Dark Souls 2 does the same thing. At a certain distance, the game throttles animations to save performance.
I would attribute that to console development since the game seems to run easily on any system.

Amen to that.

I follow several American Democrats on Twitter, you haven't seen anything until you read that comment section.

Not to downplay your comments though, I know they are ridiculous.

Jawmuncher

This seems correct, now that I see you interpret the original comment.
Usually the subs are different than the main game, so as long as you only refund the main game, the sub for the DLC should stay active on the account and if the main game is ever repurchased, the DLC should still be usable.

It would've been much clearer from the start if Jaw had given details/example.

I have to keep what I refunded secret

yoshizzle

Weird, Resident Evil 4 from modbot was a humble gift link and trying to activate the steam key after revealing it, gave me this:

I guess the original purchase was outside the US and is restricted? Not even sure what region the key is good for. Ah well, thanks anyways, anon!

That message is popping up for me too when I try to redeem Revelations.

Yikes. Truly anonymity of web brings out the worst in people.

Congrats.

100CAD are 68€. Damn, that is an incredible deal. Where did you get that? I would totally take a bit debt if I ever found a Vita for 68€ here from a trustworthy seller and jump in on that deal with little thought. Don't care much about original/slim either. I should look into GermanGAF for an inquiry.

Alem Arayeb? What does it mean?

Craigslist

Dr Dogg

If you're to be honoured in a Tales game I think having a Mystic Arte named after you would probably be fitting.

Speaking of actiony RPGs how I've got Mass Effect 3 set up now on the Steam Controller makes the console versions look laboured and pedestrian. Having all 8 quick slots under your thumb as well as fast camera movement, then low sensitivity aiming when down the sights further tweaked with gyro correction plus all the dodge moves easily pulled off without even moving your fingers is just fucking nuts. It's almost as responsive as a full on fighting game!

Might have to do a series replaythrough very, very soon. I think I only need 3,000 BioWare points to get the rest of the DLC.

MUnited83

For you.
How are the market prices on Payday 2 items now? Might finally download it now that the drills drop after matches and do a quick couple bucks.

Monooboe

Might have to do a series replaythrough very, very soon. I think I only need 3,000 BioWare points to get the rest of the DLC.

If you find some cheap ones let me know! Been dying to go back to ME3 for the DLC. Tali <3.

Damn Rocket league looks quite awesome, been wanting to get it but me and sports don't really mix, not at all since I'm competitive as hell and I'm awful at loosing also.

Knurek

Despite what everyone says, Omega is worth the investment.
Leviathan is required.
From Ashes gives you the second best comic relief character since Seth Green.
And Citadel... Well, you might as well splurge. The toothbrush scene alone is enough to redeem the whole game.

Dr Dogg

If you find some cheap ones let me know! Been dying to go back to ME3 for the DLC. Tali <3.

Amazon still sell Bioware points (in odd packs though) but they haven't been on sale there for ages. Though N7 day is coming up so who knows.

Despite what everyone says, Omega is worth the investment.
Leviathan is required.
From Ashes gives you the second best comic relief character since Seth Green.
And Citadel... Well, you might as well splurge. The toothbrush scene alone is enough to redeem the whole game.

I've got Leviathan and From Ashes for 3 and everything bar a few weapon packs for 2. And because I'm fucking crazy I bought the Trilogy Edition just to get Pinnacle Station before finding out that any copy of ME1 on Origin will actually download it now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Arthea

Just finished The Royal Trap (100%-ed), that was $5 very well spent, very well indeed, then again I like intrigue and choices in my VNs and Hanako Games still deliver.

and that was my 69th finished game, I have a whole lot of unfinished games to take that 70 spot, way too many, only which one to choose?
Trails SC would be an amazing choice for the last game finished this year, your move Xseed.

Just finished The Royal Trap (100%-ed), that was $5 very well spent, very well indeed, then again I like intrigue and choices in my VNs and Hanako Games still deliver.

and that was my 69th finished game, I have a whole lot of unfinished games to take that 70 spot, way too many, only which one to choose?
Trails SC would be an amazing choice for the last game finished this year, your move Xseed.

Not going to happen. You'll have to wait til 2016 for more of the obnoxious adventures of Estelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom