• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaussTek

Really confused as to Playism's strategy with this is since you can go to their website and download this and the sequel for free right now instead of waiting 5 days for the Steam release.
isNRVX3.png

And, wondering why they aren't releasing Pink Hour and Pink Heaven together or something. Just hope Pink Heaven also comes out before Kero Blaster releases next month.

I hope people like them. I just can't see myself paying 150 dollars for what is more or less a standard controller. It's not a racing wheel or a fightstick or anything.

I think the improved standard XB1 controllers are pretty much perfect personally.

As I don't care for the XB1 controller in the first place, I will definitely NOT be spending $150 on an "elite" version.

bigzgod

Here's something quick for everyone!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Game of the Year Edition -- MB-23FDDEA00FCBB8D5 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 1 entrants total.
faviconuvuwz.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (Telltale) -- MB-48F2A0FF6B099919 - Taken by Red Hood. 4 entrants total.

t1445528554z1.png

>Mirai Nikki
>9/10

This cruel world knows no justice.
Last Anime show I watched. Can't believe it has been over three years.
you know
befofre i joined gaf, i lurked a lot
this thread was a big reason i ever signed up for gaf
well not this thread specifically but ya know what i mean i think
i wanted to be part of this community and i really like having you guys to talk with about games
thanks for everything, i hope to continue to be a member here
especially lashman, he's a great friend and i appreciate his posts in here
Glad you are enjoying yourself here. It's true, only after basically leaving all of Gaf and only staying here, I got more "connected" to the place. It is a community after all.
Meanwhile Kingdom is getting pretty great reviews (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-21-kingdom-review), any impressions?
Thread can get weird and leads to heavy skimming - like the last 10 pages - but there are good posts which get overlooked thus.
Like Phawx's impressions on that game.
I posted my quick look previously but this time I have an a written impression:

My Quick Look on Kingdom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx25K_bgHfg

header.jpg

Quick Impressions: Before I begin, it's technically a spoiler to read anything about Kingdom. The game is obtuse and slow on purpose. It's designed this way so that the fun of the game is in the exploration. And even though I really dislike games that pad game length with nonsense filler, Kingdom uses the speed of the game as a mechanic. It took me 21~ hours to beat the game.

Kingdom is a real-time strategy game (with permadeath) where the playable character cannot attack or direct his troops. Instead you can only recruit more people and upgrade your fortress. After recruiting people from remote camps, you have to assign them jobs.

There are four jobs. Five if you consider the different states of the archers. Again, this info is spoilery.

Workers - The only class that can build or repair structures. The only weapon they can fire is the trebuchet.
Farmers - Can only generate money and will not attack.
Archers - In Defensive mode, they are able to "Hunt and Gather" which is the only resource (gold coins) you need to collect.
Archers - In Offensive Mode, can only be toggled by creating knights. Every Knight that is created will convert three of your defensive archers to offensive archers. Offensive archers will not Hunt and Gather.
Knights - The last class to unlock. They can only be sent to do battle once you have a flag raised on either end of your fortress. They are primarily used as a wall to protect your offensive archers, but they can attack anything directly in front of them.

The game has no story, but it's presentation is stellar. The OST juxtaposed against the chunky yet serene pixel art produces this almost zen-like symphony. It is a rare game that can so purposefully 'waste' my time yet pull me in to unravel its mysteries.

Additionally, for the people with disabilities or for parents reading this, the game can be played one-handed. So you can hold a child in one arm and use the arrow keys on the keyboard with the other. This is a killer feature in terms of easy accessibility.

Please try to limit how much you read into this game if you're interested. Only look for walkthroughs and other things if you are completely stuck. Again, learning how to beat the game is the 'fun' of the game.

Highly Recommended

Also please excuse the flowery language. I really like the game.
NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME SHALL PROSPER

boosie-with-guns-o.gif
Only thing I can think of when seeing shit like that.

cJ2N76I.gif

AfdOoSs.png

Shit son, did you turn into King Midas or what?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Baron_Calamity, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-Blades -- MB-9354C564ED084C1F - Taken by Saty. 4 entrants total.
LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE 2 -- MB-A47CD8457B94307B - Taken by dave is ok. 5 entrants total.
Pirates of Black Cove -- MB-02DFE547DA5B2BFA - Taken by Ribeiro. 1 entrants total.
Commander Conquest Of The Americas -- MB-E69758062471A8E0 - Taken by UnaiGamer. 1 entrants total.

t1445532214z1.png

Speaking about VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) I assume I don't have a monitor really for it? I enable it (2560 x 1440 on my 1080p monitor) and everything is small (which I expected) but it's too blurry to actually use. Apparently I am only supposed to use it in games but, I wanted to see if it was possible to use for desktop use as well.

I play all my FPS with a controller even when on PC.

He forsakes food for games. His diet consists of bread and water.

Yaaaaaaasssss. Turn to the dark side. :3

And lashman doesn't even eat bread. Dirt is good enough because... GAMES!

Speaking about VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) I assume I don't have a monitor really for it? I enable it (2560 x 1440 on my 1080p monitor) and everything is small (which I expected) but it's too blurry to actually use. Apparently I am only supposed to use it in games but, I wanted to see if it was possible to use for desktop use as well.

In my experience, actually trying to display anything other than native resolution on your display will lead to blurriness.
It works in games because you're basically rendering at X and then downsampling to display at Y, which is generally the native resolution for your display.

In my experience, actually trying to display anything other than native resolution on your display will lead to blurriness.
It works in games because you're basically rendering at X and then downsampling to display at Y, which is generally the native resolution for your display.

That does make sense. Guess ill have to get a better monitor one of these days.

Lain

Didn't the original WoW and Demon's Souls threads get to like 900ish and 850ish pages a piece before being locked down?

The 20k post soft limit came about after they started having database problems once a certain number of posts were reached (the site would become slow and unresponsive) because of... stuff. Since then threads have been locked after 20k posts, as it's also a good cutoff point to make a new thread.

Knurek

Does 8x SGSSAA really has such a cost?

I've tried in in Zestiria, pretty much maxed my 970.
4x SGSSAA results in 30-40% utilization.
FXAA is 10-15%.

Dr Dogg

Well seems Rise of the Tomb Raider not only features actual tombs this time but they're pretty swish too!

Also I remember when The Division had volumetric fog bellowing out of manhole covers that would be indirectly lit from scenery like car tail lights. That brief twitter vid looked like it has nothing more than animated sprites instead :(

Be interesting to see how the final version of it turns out on all platforms but I get the feeling all of them are going to be a ways away from the reveal 'gameplay' trailer.

Why handicap yourself like that?

Maybe he's just too pro with kb/m and wants a challenge. Derexperte claims to use a controller to "up his challenge". Probably similar to why people try to beat games with dancepads and guitar controllers.

Being Comfy or being pro. The choice is clear.

Hey now, no reason you can't do both.

Any PC game that supports controllers, I play with a controller. Fear us, we're taking over.

*High-Five*
Even those that don't... get a PGP profile.
This is why I was interested in the Steam controller... but I refunded my pre-order to get rocket league removed from my account since they wouldn't convert it to an inventory item for me.

Are you sure you would even pro in either case?

Hahahahaha... fair point.

First they take our 60fps, now our kb/m.

We have to rise against those pesky, introvert-console pc-converts.

*kick to the nads*
Take that, you elitist prickbag.

That's the advantage of PC. Play games under your preferences, not a hardware manufacturer or developer.

I would personally use a mouse, but that shouldn't effect your experience.

This is extremely civil of you. Bravo.

I watched the Quick Look GB did for AC Syndicate...they seemed to enjoy it and also pointed out things people may have issues with so I think it was really fair and balanced on both sides of the argument

M.D

I'm trying to download The Witcher 3 from GOG Galaxy and getting a "SERVER PROLEM" error

Did they just release a new patch or something?

derExperte

watching FPS being played on controller really rubs me the wong way..
and as far as the gameplay goes, it looks promising but i hoped the movement would be much faster

It's the best we'll get when consoles are involved, but imagine people not taking half a minute to turn around and aim and there's some potential, like the maps need more verticality but the one shown has a hint of the old fps vibe from the good old days. Except those melee attacks.

Any PC game that supports controllers, I play with a controller. Fear us, we're taking over.

That's cool, the older I get the worse my reflexes become so more canon fodder bumbling about is appreciated.

sprinkles

This and Duke Nukem used to give me the worst motion sickness ever.. which was frustrating as both games were a blast
Only the first level of the shareware version of Duke 3D did that for me, I could play the rest just fine. Descent 1 and 2 on the other hand.. totally unplayable due to motion sickness I never really felt in other games. Only the later 3dfx patch made 2 finally playable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom