• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
damn i hate when i'm last post

sorry but quoting myself to repeat the question then cos im curious
is chloe the first ever manic pixie dream girl in games?

i know part of the thing is that the protagonist in manic pixie girl stories has to be male but i still feel like she kind of played that role in lis, specially since the music and atmosphere of lis kind of reminded me of garden state like stuff, what with the indie folk music and coming of age stuff

anyways i gotta stop listening to this (lis spoilers in the comments but what are you doing reading youtube comments anyways) if i'm ever gonna recover from that game

but i can't

so damn addictive

help me lost planet 3

oh wait you want me to go replace some mining tool somewhere

fuck off

Lain

So...

..they are talking about the PSP version here, right? Suprised the game is still launching on PSP considering that they are saying the first one did pretty bad.

Still, after reading all that and despite the fact the PC version (of the first one) did pretty well, looks like we won't be getting The 3rd, as it seems they ended up pretty tired of the extremely long localization process lol

The PSP release of SC feels more like a gesture of good will because there have been fans of the game waiting for years and.
TC has kind of been out of the question for a while now. I mean, if SC sells a boatload I'm sure it'll come, but given the load of games they have and that TC supposedly covers mostly side stuff... I'm not holding my breath.

Corpekata

Banned
Chloe is too abrasive to be a manic pixie dream girl, and she has her own clear agenda (find out about Rachel).
If anything Max fits the pixie dream girl notes more. She gets entirely swept up in Chloe's story and most of the story is about Chloe's arc really.

Yea if you didn't enjoy Halo 3's gameplay then you wouldn't like Halo CE and Halo 2 either. Halo 4 didn't have ads, it was Halo 5 where it started. Do you not enjoy games that don't have ads or is it Halo specifically?

I like ADS in my FPS because of immersion or something? I don't know... it feels like an arbitrary limitation in this day and age to not have that in an FPS... I mean, I like classic FPS like Doom and Wolfenstein (and there was some Apogee game with Abyss in the title that was kinda like Hexen/Heretic before those came out, I think)...

But yeah, I kind of expect the ability to ADS in an FPS, so the lack of it along with the way the shooting felt never really clicked for me. So I guess I'd be more interested in Halo 5 than any of the previous games.

Side note: always found it funny that people were bitching about the generic military visage given to a lot of protagonists (shaved head on a caucasian male) but nobody ever has a problem with the overall generic "guy in a supersuit" design of Master Chief. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Chloe is too abrasive to be a manic pixie dream girl, and she has her own clear agenda (find out about Rachel).
If anything Max fits the pixie dream girl notes more. She gets entirely swept up in Chloe's story and most of the story is about Chloe's arc really.
yeah i think that can be argued

i found it interesting cos those types of characters aren't too common in videogames

or at least i can't think of many off the top of my head

Yikes... Trails even has an achievement for reading each of those horrible chest jokes?
Yeah, I don't know if I can do that...

Patient Plunderer
Open all non-story-related treasure chests and get every chest phrase.

Optimistic.
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(Today, 10:58 PM)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Adnor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Adnor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Eldritch -- MB-F5E093D85B896C1D - Taken by Jiggaloboy. 1 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-5EF2FBA881218470 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Skyborn -- MB-031613E114AD6F69 - Taken by TWILT. 1 entrants total.
The Novelist -- MB-2D7B6CB4E59BCA70 - Taken by Chreznor. 2 entrants total.
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-AB45B991D23A5F70 - Taken by aw350. 1 entrants total.
Jazzpunk -- MB-1ECC193FB14645DF - Taken by Kifimbo. 10 entrants total.
Superfrog HD -- MB-B281C346F257F223 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-45DA0CA305170A03 - Taken by criesofthepast. 2 entrants total.

t1445661898z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
i just realized you can still fire the mech's grappling hook during cutscenes in lost planet 3

hook just flies off in random directions

this is hilarious

i'm also stuck at a mech boss fight in which you're supposed to drill some scorpion alien thing's tail but since you're grabbing it with your other hand it's impossible to hit the tail and i just keep drilling myself

this game..

Tizoc

i just realized you can still fire the mech's grappling hook during cutscenes in lost planet 3

hook just flies off in random directions

this is hilarious

i'm also stuck at a mech boss fight in which you're supposed to drill some scorpion alien thing's tail but since you're grabbing it with your other hand it's impossible to hit the tail and i just keep drilling myself

this game..

Have you tried playing music from your HDD while riding the mech? Cuz you can totally do that.

So...

..they are talking about the PSP version here, right? Suprised the game is still launching on PSP considering that they are saying the first one did pretty bad.

Still, after reading all that and despite the fact the PC version (of the first one) did pretty well, looks like we won't be getting The 3rd, as it seems they ended up pretty tired of the extremely long localization process lol

Come the Steam sales TiTS will likely get a spike. TiTS 1 on PSP hasn't gone in sale in a long time and only this year got its first discount. All it comes down to is spreading the word about this game.

Tizoc

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the 2nd best thread in Gaming side this year has been closed.
Was fun while it lasted though.

Knurek

Avernum 2 re-remake lowest it has ever been, $5.
Add some Vogel in your life.

That DOTT remake looks kind of bad - not enough angles in the lines, looks more like a bad flash animation than the original. :\

Also, that Key VN looks to have a really ugly translation. The font text is horrible (are they really using Courier?), and the actual text doesn't seem to have been written by a native speaker ("The mechanical boy without emotional functions" doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it?)

zkylon

zkylewd
i always hate that the vogel games look so bad. like, i don't mind if the "resolution" isn't very high, it doesn't have to be eternity-like quality with animated backgrounds and super renders but something at least with a little bit of personality is all i'm asking

there has to be a bit more of a middlepoint between super cheap to make and doesn't look super generic and lifeless

How different could all of these announcer packs even be? My goodness. The Bastion narrator or GladOS or whatever I could understand, but a voice from a company that's never had a memorable character in their games? It's wild.
i always hate that the vogel games look so bad. like, i don't mind if the "resolution" isn't very high, it doesn't have to be eternity-like quality with animated backgrounds and super renders but something at least with a little bit of personality is all i'm asking

there has to be a bit more of a middlepoint between super cheap to make and doesn't look super generic and lifeless
Jeff Vogel didn't survive the RPG drought by wasting money on frivolous things.

Y'know, for as mechanically simple as Spiderweb's newer games are, I can't help but respect the sheer amount of design that goes their RPGs. It's surprisingly easy to fall into them, only emerging a couple dozen hours later, once finished. It takes a lot of skill to make such compelling games.

Oh, and consider this post a recommendation for everyone to play Avernum: Escape From the Pit. In many ways, I feel that Avernum captured what Pillars of Eternity only tried to do, managing to create an evocative and atmospheric setting with the power of words alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom