• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did nobody tell me the Metal Gear Rising Soundtrack was on Vinyl?

JC_Press_Photo_3.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLIPGQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
You can put it next to your empty PC game boxes. ;)
Resi 6 is great yer haters!

JZiGm2G.gif
You can dragon screw leg whip a monster in RE6?!

heh.
hehehe.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

No.

Wrong again, old man.

Bit better quality
People just don't understand the greatness that is RE6.
It's capcom second best selling game on PC and hasn't been bundled like the rest in the top 5.
http://steamspy.com/dev/Capcom

Truth.
But it's their loss, not ours, at the end of the day.

All the mechanics in the world can't save RE6 from mediocrity.

Gameplay first.
And RE6 is overflowing with some of the best TPS gameplay ever made.
Enough to forgive the random vehicle sections or other places where they took risks and failed to make it worthwhile. The entire game is sort of an homage to past RE campaigns as well (Leon: RE4, Chris: RE5, Jake: RE6 [something new] with a tinge of RE3).

Resi 6 is great yer haters!

JZiGm2G.gif

HtLp6ML.gif

3w01BCy.gif

re6-requiem-150combo-u7u7i.gif

YAAAAAAAAASSSS!

Btw here's a gif of that dope new jumping animation the Payday 2 community did a bunch of grinding to unlock lol.

Kr4dJhe.gif

Bwahaha... I should just uninstall it at this point.
I keep hoping they're going to figure out this shit isn't working and try to revert things back to the version the community embraced... but... not likely at this point.

Get your popcorn, that AMA is going to be a PR massacre.

6 is great. The Force abandoned you

q8yFbJd.gif

Yup.

I got immense enjoyment out of how baddumb RE6's story was. Way more than with 5 where I just skipped all the cutscenes.

They managed to ruin all goodwill and enthusiasm I had for Payday 2 over the course of 10 days. That's impressive.

RE stories have never been great, IMO... I think I liked RE4 the best out of them all, strictly in terms of narrative.

All that effort for nothing

Nothing? Now you don't need to go buy a PS4 to play it.
But if you don't, you'll still miss out on Bloodborne (which is fantastic...)

A crate and key microtransaction system was added like CSGO.

Overkill has gone on record saying they would never add microtransactions in Payday 2

Unlike CSGO, the weapon skins affect weapon stats.

The community, understandably, was extremely upset by this.

Overkill DID actually add the possibility to get keys as drops in response so you can potentially get free skins.

They rebalanced (or screwed up the balance of) weapons. They jacked up the damage for all weapons (except shotguns). Shotguns are garbage now, Heavy ARs are the new meta, pistols are ridiculously powerful now, accuracy across the board for weapons was screwed up (some weapons are so inaccurate you can't even hit anything).

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.
If it wasn't for the stats on the skins, they might've escaped some of the backlash.

I have a CSR dongle.
CSR's stack doesn't work with DS4Windows.
Default Windows 7 stack doesn't work with DS4Windows.
Hence me having to wait for upgrade to Win10 to enjoy comfy couch the way it's meant.

I get cost cutting, I really do. What I don't get is lack of 3rd party solution. :\

When I first installed Win 8 something wasn't to my liking... so I went back to Win 7... and found out that the native bluetooth stack was the problem, even if you had a 3rd party dongle with the special drivers installed. I promptly went back to Win 8 and decided to deal with the small nuisance because of the ability to use wireless bluetooth DS3/DS4.

I've taken to just using the DS4 via USB lately though, because I kept getting "latency" flashing before, which makes no sense because nothing is really blocking the dongle's and controller's signals.

Nabs

DS4 through BT is a game changer. Like, seriously, this makes upgrading to Win10 worthwhile.

Pity the battery life's crap. I don't think there's any aftermarket battery packs that extend it, like with PSP ones? What is it with consoles and crappy batteries? GBA and NDS were monsters, 3DS is shit, Vita is shit, DS4 is shit, battery life-wise...

Apparently the new anniversary controllers have better battery life. So instead of charging every other day, you charge every 2!

But yeah, DS4 over BT is definitely a must for anyone who has one.

Apparently the new anniversary controllers have better battery life. So instead of charging every other day, you charge every 2!

But yeah, DS4 over BT is definitely a must for anyone who has one.

You're the ds4windows expert around here, so I'm going to pose this question to you:

Given the hoops you have to jump through to get the DS4 in exclusive mode, if I unplug/replug or whatever so the controller device reconnects to win 10, I'm pretty much going to have to restart my pc to get it back to exclusive mode.

Now the SFV beta is here and when I'm screwing around in that, I prefer my fight stick. However, when I connect my fight stick, it ends up being recognized as controller 2 if my DS4 is connected still.

Do you know of any way to switch the DS4 to "controller 2" so that I don't have to unplug it before connecting my fight stick leading to an inevitable restart if I want to play something else? Failing that, is there a better way for me to get my DS4 back to exclusive after the controller shuffle? I'm currently using the batch file that runs 30s after log in and starts the services after starting the ds4windows exe.

So Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions appeared on Steam but I've noticed JaseC doesn't own it yet. Is there anything wrong with it then?

JaseC doesn't necessarily buy everything the second it has a store page.
JaseC rarely plays anything he buys.

lashman, on the other hand? I think he has it, but I don't know if he's tried it out. just check the store page reviews... if something is wrong with it, i'm sure the people who have bought it will post about it.

Knurek

Given the hoops you have to jump through to get the DS4 in exclusive mode, if I unplug/replug or whatever so the controller device reconnects to win 10, I'm pretty much going to have to restart my pc to get it back to exclusive mode.

This is untrue. Once DS4Windows gets an exclusive mode working, I can unplug the controller/unpair BT and when plugging/pairing again it still gets exclusive access.
Doesn't matter if Steam/Uplay/etc is running.
No reboots required.

dex3108

I just learned that more VRAM game uses it is better optimized (Batman Arkham Knight thread on Gaming side). Is that true SteamGAF?

I just learned that more VRAM game uses it is better optimized (Batman Arkham Knight thread on Gaming side). Is that true SteamGAF?

Well I mean it's good for a game to use your VRAM effectively but it's doesn't make the game better the more it uses. Betting on knowledgeable tech post from gaming side is a losers game man.

Nabs

This is untrue. Once DS4Windows gets an exclusive mode working, I can unplug the controller/unpair BT and when plugging/pairing again it still gets exclusive access.
No reboots required.

Yeah, this. I don't usually have to do anything to get exclusive mode working again. You also don't have to restart to run the batch file, even if that's your preferred method.

No reboots required.

Doesn't work like that for me.
If I unplug the usb cable then replug it, it loses exclusive access on my machine.

Yeah, this. I don't usually have to do anything to get exclusive mode working again. You also don't have to restart to run the batch file, even if that's your preferred method.

The way the batch file was written, unless someone posted an improved version, was as follows:

Start DS4windows.exe
Start service a, b, c
Set service a, b, c to not start on reboot

Thus, when windows starts on reboot, service a, b, c are not running and ds4win can start and grab the controller exclusively. Once those processes are active though, that prevents DS4 windows from grabbing the device exclusively. Maybe it's different cause you two use BT connection and I use USB?

I suppose I could script a companion batch to stop services a, b, c, then go through the whole thing again... but I'm lazy and want someone else to have already done it for me. ;)

Playing RE6 Mercs No Mercy with my brother was some of the most fun I had with a game in the past few years.
Campaigns had some good moments but half of it was trash.

I've given up waiting for a Code Veronica PC port, I'll just grab it on PSN while it's on sale.

Jawmuncher

Playing RE6 Mercs No Mercy with my brother was some of the most fun I had with a game in the past few years.
Campaigns had some good moments but half of it was trash.

I can agree to this. There are still levels in RE6 that are pretty fucking bad.
Hopefully RE7 capcom learned less is more.

Strider feels boring, and feels kinda on the indie budget size too. Combat is pretty shit, dodge or bullets deflect with the ninja sword? Pffffft. And the 'bosses' are pushovers.

I think I missed the intro, I went from assaulting a base to a guide speaking through a megaphone in a city. No idea what Strider wants.

Yep, I think I'll not bother with this game.

Nabs

Doesn't work like that for me.
If I unplug the usb cable then replug it, it loses exclusive access on my machine.

The way the batch file was written, unless someone posted an improved version, was as follows:

Start DS4windows.exe
Start service a, b, c
Set service a, b, c to not start on reboot

Thus, when windows starts on reboot, service a, b, c are not running and ds4win can start and grab the controller exclusively. Once those processes are active though, that prevents DS4 windows from grabbing the device exclusively. Maybe it's different cause you two use BT connection and I use USB?

I suppose I could script a companion batch to stop services a, b, c, then go through the whole thing again... but I'm lazy and want someone else to have already done it for me. ;)

BT could explain things.

You can just use the batch file that comes with ds4windows if you need to reconnect your controller. It's in the DS4Windows folder, or you can use the button in the controller tab. All it does is close explorer until you connect your controller.

Anteater

so conan o brien appears and to be continued

It's been a while, but rev1 story is pretty standalone. Experiment went wrong in floating city, chris signal disappears in a ship, jill goes. Game starts.

yeah I get the basic idea of it, but all those organizations and terrorism tho, last thing I remember from RE in the timeline was "Your right hand comes off?"

Knurek

My methodology is:

Don't run anything that can take exclusive access from DS4 on startup (Steam and Gameplay Time Tracker in my case).
Run DS4 on startup
Disconnect the cable/Disable BT (PS+Option IIRC).
Run the following batch:
Code:
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /f
echo Connect your DS4 controller
pause
start explorer.exe
While it's waiting for input connect cable/enable BT
Check if DS4log shows exclusive mode
If not, repeat, if yes just finish the batch file to have explorer started again.
Run whatever is needed.

Dsyndrome

My methodology is:

Don't run anything that can take exclusive access from DS4 on startup (Steam and Gameplay Time Tracker in my case).
Run DS4 on startup
Disconnect the cable/Disable BT (PS+Option IIRC).
Run the following batch:
Code:
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /f
echo Connect your DS4 controller
pause
start explorer.exe
While it's waiting for input connect cable/enable BT
Check if DS4log shows exclusive mode
If not, repeat, if yes just finish the batch file to have explorer started again.
Run whatever is needed.
That's what I do for InputMapper, don't need Steam closed really, just no windows open. Same success rate for exclusivity whether I use BT or USB.

Speaking of, where the fuck is build 10532, Microsoft?

Hearts of Stone question. for the achievment of doing everything at the wedding why wont it unlock for me? ive done everything and nothing. the only thing i can think of is i play qwent but forfeit but the marker goes away. do i need to play all the way through?

Jawmuncher

what happened to your Chris, you got chubby

chris_redfield___then_and_now_by_kc_eazyworld-d5im7v4.jpg

RE5 chris is still my favorite. Bugs me so much that people got mad that he got in shape.
Like if my life was at stake from zombies all the god damn time, I would try and get buff as fuck too. Though canon wise he got buff so he could beat wesker.

AHA-Lambda

RE5 chris is still my favorite. Bugs me so much that people got mad that he got in shape.
Like if my life was at stake from zombies all the god damn time, I would try and get buff as fuck to. Though canon wise he got buff so he could beat wesker.

woah, woah, they actually felt the need to have a canon reason for it? >_>

Dsyndrome

I don't even know where the story goes from here following RE6, wish they could retcon or reboot to bring some folks back, one in particular really.

derExperte

They rebalanced (or screwed up the balance of) weapons. They jacked up the damage for all weapons (except shotguns). Shotguns are garbage now, Heavy ARs are the new meta, pistols are ridiculously powerful now, accuracy across the board for weapons was screwed up (some weapons are so inaccurate you can't even hit anything).

I'm not playing much but when I do I use those. Even bought a DLC for some new ones recently. Boooooooh. Time to board the hate-train again which I got off of not that long ago.

Jawmuncher

Spoilers for RE5
When they have the fight in Lost in Nightmares and jill is "killed". He vows revenge and that's why he got really big. I can find the source if you really want it but i'm dead serious that's the reason.

wtf how is he a ginger in 6.

That was just the lighting on the promo art. In game he looks like this.

I don't even know where the story goes from here following RE6, wish they could retcon or reboot to bring some folks back, one in particular really.

I can't see them rebooting until they set themselves up for it. One of the biggest draws for a lot of the RE fanbase are the characters. Which is why every game we see older characters come back in some form. Be it in the story or mercenaries. But I agree that it will be interesting to see where the story goes, since the end credit teaser for RE6 doesn't really do much. All that's left open is that another evil group is still around. Also there is another canon movie coming out (Like Degeneration and Damnation before it). But we will see how much that affects RE7 or events after RE7. Since the last two films didn't affect much of anything.

Nillansan

Deadly Premonition.

You are in for a treat. The port is kind of temperamental, but I managed to do a 100% playthrough with some fairly (drastic) measures. I played the game down-sampled from 1440P to 1080P at a stable 60 FPS. As I said, the measures I took might have been a bit excessive, but I think it was worth it. Deadly Premonition is truly something special. Here's a post I made a while back explaining what I did in order to make it run mostly trouble free.

rtcn63

To be fair, he did get his ass kinda handed to him at the end of
Code Veronica, IIRC.

And he's probably all, "If I'm gonna be fighting biological terrors that could kill me at any moment, might as well roid up. Shit ain't likely to kill me before they do."

dex3108

Well I mean it's good for a game to use your VRAM effectively but it's doesn't make the game better the more it uses. Betting on knowledgeable tech post from gaming side is a losers game man.

I was being sarcastic :D

According to what post?

What's wrong with the current VRAM usage ? It uses as much as you give it, like any well optimized software should. It uses all my GPU's 4gb of video memory and quite a lot of system memory as well but if I have some hardware ressources to spare the game might as well use them.

I have not entered that thread, but I bet it was Kezen saying that.

Of course who will say that than regular Batman AK port defender :D

AHA-Lambda

Spoilers for RE5
When they have the fight in Lost in Nightmares and jill is "killed". He vows revenge and that's why he got really big. I can find the source if you really want it but i'm dead serious that's the reason.

Bloody hell XD

I didn't know that though cos Capcom refuses to drop price on that damn DLC >_<

Like if my life was at stake from zombies all the god damn time, I would try and get buff as fuck too. Though canon wise he got buff so he could beat wesker.

Why is RE5 chris on there twice, but "GOLD" is before original?

Bloody hell XD

I didn't know that though cos Capcom refuses to drop price on that damn DLC >_<

They've discounted it once or twice, but not enough to be noteworthy.
The best deal on it by far was getting the $15 tier of the humble bundle if you were interested in the rest of the games.
I went with that so I could donate $15 to charity and then hand out keys to people who wanted them. :shrug:

Jawmuncher

Why is RE5 chris on there twice, but "GOLD" is before original?

They've discounted it once or twice, but not enough to be noteworthy.
The best deal on it by far was getting the $15 tier of the humble bundle if you were interested in the rest of the games.
I went with that so I could donate $15 to charity and then hand out keys to people who wanted them. :shrug:

GOLD should have been labeled Lost in Nightmares. Similar to Re5 but not as buff.

tuxfool

Banned
I was being sarcastic :D

Of course who will say that than regular Batman AK port defender :D

That statement isn't necessarily wrong, but it is too general. Provided a game can use more RAM it should use all the RAM that is available to it. Unused RAM is useless RAM. Badly optimized would mean a Game needs more RAM for assets but leaves some VRAM empty.

Now the question is whether AK VRAM usage is justified by what it presents on screen.

Assuming you are not multitasking it is considered better to have a game make use of additional VRAM beyond the minimum it requires. Providing of course it uses that additional VRAM to optimize something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom