• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

They've discounted it once or twice, but not enough to be noteworthy.
The best deal on it by far was getting the $15 tier of the humble bundle if you were interested in the rest of the games.
I went with that so I could donate $15 to charity and then hand out keys to people who wanted them. :shrug:

Yeah saw that, but unfortunately all the games I didn't have I wasn't interested in =/

dex3108

That statement isn't necessarily wrong. Provided a game can use more RAM it should use all the RAM that is available to it. Unused RAM is useless RAM. Badly optimized would mean a Game needs more RAM for assets but leaves some VRAM empty.

Now the question is whether AK VRAM usage is justified by what it presents on screen.

There should always be balance. It is awesome if game can load many things in VRAM and RAM so you can have smooth experience. But even today there are very little games that can justify that. And in Batman case game had and still have issues even with 6GB cards. Batman is case where game doesn't use resources efficiently, it brute forces hardware.

And there is always question is it necessary to do some things. For example is it necessary to simulate traffic on the other side of the map if player is not there just because there are free resources. That is case wit Batman and High textures that are using huge amount of VRAM but you can't or barely can see any differences between Normal and High.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It helps how audio cards and Ethernet cards have become obsolete. Not a lot of parts you need to connect. Hardest parts are the power reqs with small cords to control fans and shit and applying thermal paste for coolers.

Chariot

Seriously screwing parts together is too hard for you?
As expected of a Warren fan. >:I

Building a PC is relatively easy if you don't have something exotic. My biggest trouble was getting the damn CPU fan into the mainboard, I was constantly scared that I break the mainboard while the damn thin resisted as if I were the british empire.

tuxfool

Banned
There should always be balance. It is awesome if game can load many things in VRAM and RAM so you can have smooth experience. But even today there are very little games that can justify that. And in Batman case game had and still have issues even with 6GB cards. Batman is case where game doesn't use resources efficiently, it brute forces hardware.

Sure. AK probably suffers from the fact that they had to replace the crufty UE3 resource streaming system as well as use UE3 in an open world setting. I could believe the game uses a lot of textures, it looks fairly modern but doesn't use more modern resource mastering techniques.

Even so, one cannot categorically say that VRAM is the cause of the issues in AK. We don't know. This is especially true as there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern regarding GPU capability and VRAM pool size.

And there is always question is it necessary to do some things. For example is it necessary to simulate traffic on the other side of the map if player is not there just because there are free resources. That is case wit Batman and High textures that are using huge amount of VRAM but you can't or barely can see any differences between Normal and High.

The problem with this statement is that it is subjective. To be scientific about it one would need to compare the texture size of High and Normal. See SoM, the Ultra textures are just decompressed versions of High textures. Visually there is very little difference beyond a reduction in compression artefacts. Guessing, I'd say that the final textures for AK were mastered for consoles and the High textures are simply less compressed versions.

dex3108

I am tampering with PC part since I was 10. I built at least 10 PCs by now. There are very few things that you can screw up today. Hardest thing in my experience is mounting 3rd party CPU cooler. Those things can be really unpleasant based on what mounting system they use. Everything else is dummy proof. Even power/restart and other front panel cables today are not issue because most motherboards come with simple cable connector that is labeled.

mrgone

Well, it's gotten even easier since then! =p
You guys should have tried to build a system in the early 90s, now that was a pain =p

At that point in time you could honestly say that you you poured blood, sweat, and tears into the assembly of your computer because last two happened by default, and the first happened because all the case metal was untreated and razor sharp.

dex3108

Sure. AK probably suffers from the fact that they had to replace the crufty UE3 resource streaming system as well as use UE3 in an open world setting. I could believe the game uses a lot of textures, it looks fairly modern but doesn't use more modern resource mastering techniques.

Even so, one cannot categorically say that VRAM is the cause of the issues in AK. We don't know. This is especially true as there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern regarding GPU capability and VRAM pool size.

The problem with this statement is that it is subjective. To be scientific about it one would need to compare the texture size of High and Normal. See SoM, the Ultra textures are just decompressed versions of High textures. Visually there is very little difference beyond a reduction in compression artefacts. Guessing, I'd say that the final textures for AK were mastered for consoles and the High textures are simply less compressed versions.

As far as I know they only tampered with mipmaps and batsuite textures with High option. They simply didn't scale settings good. But we will see day when PC will get unified memory (at least I hope that we will see :D) and when VRAM issues will be past.

Does anyone have experience with regular stuttering using adobe flash?
When I bought South Park months ago I had this weird issue where the game would stutter every tot seconds.
Now I bought Westerado and it has the same problem. AFAIK those 2 games are using adobe flash/air, so I guess the issue is related to it. Any tips?

edit: https://steamcommunity.com/app/290260/discussions/0/613940109939098661/ basically the problem that has this guy, unfortunately the fix doesn't work.

Considering the amount of hate DmC and new Dante got when it was going to/was released, the game is pretty fun and Dante is not-obnoxious at all. Albeit I am barely at mission 4.
kunk-watermelon.gif

Grief.exe

Considering the amount of hate DmC and new Dante got when it was going to/was released, the game is pretty fun and Dante is not-obnoxious at all. Albeit I am barely at mission 4.
kunk-watermelon.gif

The media mainly made it out like the issue was with Dante, the reality is the issue was with the watered down gameplay.

tl;dr the gaming media is asinine

Jawmuncher

At least DMC fans got something. I don't care what they say anyone who claims that DmC is blasphemy on par with Dino crisis 3 is factually wrong.

kunk-watermelon.gif

Fuck you. Fuck you. FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOUUUUUUUU.

[Edit: clarification: this is a reference to the dialogue in the Succubus boss fight, not an attack on Sgt.Pepper.]

Yeah saw that, but unfortunately all the games I didn't have I wasn't interested in =/

Remember, it is better to give, than to receive. ;)

Still noticeable stepback

heard DE making dope change tho, why we not get that on Steam :(

Capcom probably figures the demographic doesn't exist:

(1) People will want a free upgrade.
(2) People will not want to pay for a full game.
(3) People will just pirate it, regardless of if they bought DmC on PC to begin with or not.

They're also probably figuring that the DE would sell on PS4/X1 because console owners who played on PS3/x360 only got 30fps and such plus there's not a lot of games of that genre on either system yet... (and at the time, DMC4SE wasn't available either).

I'd pay an upgrade fee to get the DE version on Steam if they ever thought to bring it over, but I'm probably in the minority.

Parsnip

Finished LiS ep 3.

Didn't expect that.

Though maybe I should have. That reminded me of the first Butterfly Effect movie, where Ashton Kutcher's character would jump back in time into his younger self by reading his diary, change something and fuck everything up in the future.

Fuck you. Fuck you. FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOUUUUUUUU.

Remember, it is better to give, than to receive. ;)

Capcom probably figures the demographic doesn't exist:

(1) People will want a free upgrade.
(2) People will not want to pay for a full game.
(3) People will just pirate it, regardless of if they bought DmC on PC to begin with or not.

They're also probably figuring that the DE would sell on PS4/X1 because console owners who played on PS3/x360 only got 30fps and such plus there's not a lot of games of that genre on either system yet... (and at the time, DMC4SE wasn't available either).

I'd pay an upgrade fee to get the DE version on Steam if they ever thought to bring it over, but I'm probably in the minority.

I'm reading around, and seems a lot of those changes came from mods? Perphaps that's the reason idk.

I'm reading around, and seems a lot of those changes came from mods? Perphaps that's the reason idk.

No. Some were inspired by mods, but there are core system changes that are just not available via mod.
I've been over this before, but let's go again:

http://www.ninjatheory.com/files/dmc_de_changelog.pdf

Look through it... they note where mods were available which they took inspiration from or straight up added the changes.
However, there's a lot of those changes to how the game plays that just can't be done by mods as far as I know... and that's why people like myself, fertygo, etc. have said we wish the DE version was brought to the PC platform.

But since it isn't, I'm just waiting for a deal where I can get it for sub $20 on PS4...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The media mainly made it out like the issue was with Dante, the reality is the issue was with the watered down gameplay.

tl;dr the gaming media is asinine

I don't think the media was saying that, it was DMC diehards. Critical opinion for the most part was really positive.

Also as someone who never played the other DMC games, I thought the combat system was great.

Jawmuncher

I don't think the media was saying that, it was DMC diehards. Critical opinion for the most part was really positive.

Also as someone who never played the other DMC games, I thought the combat system was great.

With the case of DmC this is pretty much what happened. Casual players or whatever we would label them as enjoyed the game for what it was. However diehard fans of the series whom are more vocal disliked a lot of the changes. Which is still understandable. I think the biggest issue is that truthfully as much as I enjoy DmC there was really no reason for the reboot.

So what I am trying to say is blame iinafune the business man. He thought a reboot was a good idea.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

No, games media made it seem like the fans of the series only hated it because of the look and attitude of the character, when in reality it was mostly the dumbed down gameplay. They just created a giant strawman argument.

This was another case of the "game would've been fine if it didn't carry the name of an established franchise".

A lot of people panned DmC because they wanted DMC5 and DmC was not only a radical shift in tone/design/style from the established franchise norms, but it was also being done by a developer with a poor track record for polished games without technical issues (Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were the biggest games from NT prior and each was marred by a ton of problems while receiving praise for the narratives/voice work). I was part of the DMC faithful who had issues with the new direction and developer...

Now having played the game, I wouldn't say it's a terrible game. It's fun and I relatively enjoyed my time with it... though the story is some of the worst stuff ever pushed out by NT (some of the dialogue was good to me though). The level design was solid and a lot of the Capcom advised combat was satisfying even if it wasn't the stylish action the series was known for. To me, I always said that it played more like a musou with character action movesets (which is sort of what Yaiba is, btw, and it's another game where people expected NG because of the name, and left disappointed/let down). Both of these games have large encounters where you can just dodge and attack stylishly, more so than a game like NG/NG2/DMC3/DMC4/etc.

I really wish they'd bring the DE to PC, as by all accounts it brings the game much more in line with a "real" DMC experience.

--

Wasn't PJ Shooter Ultimate supposed to have a max discount of 45% for people who owned all the PJ games on Steam, including the original PJ Shooter?
I still only see 35%... if it were 45, it'd be $5.xx and I could more easily justify the +1.

Edit: Hmmm, seems that the discount still isn't fixed yet.

Corpekata

Banned
There were a ton of butthurt fanboys that were focused on Donte too. Most of the vitriol was around before the game ever launched (hence the day zero review bombing) so most didn't even get to experience the dumbed down gameplay.

It was an embarrassing scene from fans, no matter the media's involvement.

Parsnip

I think DmC is the second best DMC game. I'm not die hard fan and never really liked Dante as a character and actually like DMC4 the best, and actually enjoy playing as Nero more than Dante.

:D

I also like the new Dante, and the story is the right kind of stupid I can get behind.
All the previous stories were just too anime.

Wasn't PJ Shooter Ultimate supposed to have a max discount of 45% for people who owned all the PJ games on Steam, including the original PJ Shooter?
I still only see 35%... if it were 45, it'd be $5.xx and I could more easily justify the +1.

Edit: Hmmm, seems that the discount still isn't fixed yet.

I also got -35%, but I bought it anyways because Shooter 2 is worth it I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom