• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like very few people even remember that Pillars of Eternity released this year. It's still one of my favorite games of 2015.

Exactly!

I collected every single fucking feather in AC2 and I regret it to this very day

As long as you didn't collect every flag in AC1, you're fine.

I somehow manage to collect every flag and kill every templar in asscreed 1
multiple times
. Same goes for the feathers and chests in asscreed 2.

No regrets.

okay maybe some regrets

Jawmuncher

I forgot Pillars after for some reason they thought it was a good idea to bump the final boss difficulty up ten fold despite being on easy. Don't let me get through your final dungeon if I'm not up to par to beat the last boss. It was decent aside from that though.

Jawmuncher

But you know what was rather good that a lot of steamGAF didn't play? Dying Light. I expect that to pop up a lot next year in the thread when people start playing it due to summer sales and such. Especially along with the DLC expansion coming out. Which looks pretty good.

pahamrick

But you know what was rather good that a lot of steamGAF didn't play? Dying Light. I expect that to pop up a lot next year in the thread when people start playing it due to summer sales and such. Especially along with the DLC expansion coming out. Which looks pretty good.

I played the hell out of the PS4 version of Dying Light when I was borrowing a friend's PS4. Need to eventually get the PC version when its cheap.

Such a great game.

Jawmuncher

I played the hell out of the PS4 version of Dying Light when I was borrowing a friend's PS4. Need to eventually get the PC version when its cheap.

Such a great game.

Yeah seems a lot of steamGAF passed on it, thinking it was another dead island. A game I actually enjoyed, but could see why others did not.

Winter Lantern's in the Nightmare of Mensis fucked my world up, can't wait until the expansion comes out to see what messed up stuff they come up with.

Yes. I hate those things too. Nightmare fuel ... really love the Lovecraftian influence on this game.
I was referring to the juxtaposition enemies involving several other enemies in the game though. ;)

To tie it back into something Steam related: I wonder if we'll see anything this unsettling in Dark Souls 3, since the souls games tend to have this sort of Dark High Fantasy style to them. Also wonder if we'll see something as potentially aggravating as the Frenzy mechanic.

Spoiler is an regular enemy in one of the late game areas of Bloodborne... cousin to a Dark Souls enemy, sorta...
0M0EN9K.gif

OsEU8ju.gif

FloatOn

Yo dumb question but divinity original sin enhanced edition... Is this a separate version from the original or do you buy the original and get the upgrade for free?

I don't see a store page for the enhanced edition

Sober

If an open world game is gonna just have mindless collectibles that number in the hundreds, then:

1) show them on the map or give me a way to unlock them showing up on my map

2) let me filter out icons on the map if I want to ignore them

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yo dumb question but divinity original sin enhanced edition... Is this a separate version from the original or do you buy the original and get the upgrade for free?

I don't see a store page for the enhanced edition

It's a separate version of the game that you get for free if you've already bought the original game.

I'd love a single-player Monster Hunter on PC. Not a fan of MMO MH.

A friend told me Monster Hunter is similar to Souls games, so I am excited.

Jawmuncher

I'd love a single-player Monster Hunter on PC. Not a fan of MMO MH.

A friend told me Monster Hunter is similar to Souls games, so I am excited.

Lol no your friend is a liar. Closest you can compare is that they have a skill curve compared to everyday games that's it. Monster Hunters is much higher at that.

So kinda like Souls games? Or is it not possible to play alone? That would blow.

The games have SP, but coop is a big part of the game. Hell most of the time you're meant to go back and forth from coop and SP.

Jawmuncher

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this but, It's in the document from the other thread on page 30

fBmZZAJ.jpg

Yeah I think you're misreading. Monster Hunter would fall under other online platforms. I think Steam is just mentioned first because SFV is the last game mentioned.

Lol no your friend is a liar. Closest you can compare is that they have a skill curve compared to everyday games that's it. Monster Hunters is much higher at that.

I wouldn't even call it that. I thought, at first, that the combat looked similar to the Souls games, so I bought MHFU3 on sale to try on my Vita. I learned that I hate MH. It's so slow and boring... and the combat doesn't feel right and is highly repetitive. Add to that a lot of running around to find the target and then having to deal with things like your prey knocking you down and running off somewhere else.

It really wasn't what I thought it would be after looking up videos and buying it... what I played of the Vita Toukiden demo was better, but still slow and repetitive. The best hunting game for me was Soul Sacrifice, but even that isn't like a Souls game.

There are some other things to consider when comparing the two franchises, granted, they are still vastly different.

Animations and attacking: Both MH and Souls game rely on canned animations and you knowing how fast those animations are on when to cancel them so you don't get punished. When a weapon is fucking heavy in an MH game and a Souls game, it's pretty damn heavy and you need to account for that.
Stamina: This one is a bit more generic. Both games use stamina but MH is a hell of a lot more lax on it.

Other than that Jaw is right, they are very different games. Hell MH doesn't even have fall damage so... then again falling from a 7 story monster and having fall damage actually be a thing sounds stupid as it is, how non-realistic those games are.

I wouldn't even call it that. I thought, at first, that the combat looked similar to the Souls games, so I bought MHFU3 on sale to try on my Vita. I learned that I hate MH. It's so slow and boring... and the combat doesn't feel right and is highly repetitive. Add to that a lot of running around to find the target and then having to deal with things like your prey knocking you down and running off somewhere else.

It really wasn't what I thought it would be after looking up videos and buying it... what I played of the Vita Toukiden demo was better, but still slow and repetitive. The best hunting game for me was Soul Sacrifice, but even that isn't like a Souls game.

Sorry to hear that. It's only similar to Souls in a very loose fashion and that's really the barrier of entry. I like MH games but, I am one of those people that want a PC normal ass MH game. Not a fan of playing it on handhelds.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Monster Hunter and other hunting games can't really be compared to souls. I agree soul sacrifice is my favorite out of that genre as wel though. I can see the appeal of the MH game, but it takes a certain kind of player to really get into them. Like I said I the only reason I see people comparing them is because they aren't typical games. You don't play souls or hunter right out of the gate and "get it". Both have that curve.

Since we can't decide on how to do the SteamGAF GOTY, I propose that I make a list of 10 or so games and then you guys can vote on them in any order you choose as long as it matches mine. Sound good?

I don't think the MH audience has a huge overlap with the Steam audience. :)

Living, breathing proof that this is incorrect right here :p

I mentioned this the other day but I would kill for Monster Hunter to be on PC. It's not a series for everyone but if it hooks you then by God it can take over your life. The other day I was actually considering importing a Japanese 3DS just so that I could play Monster Hunter X at release even though it would be in Japanese and I wouldn't understand a word of it. And I've only played the game for 50 odd hours. The true fanatics put in hundreds or even thousands of hours into it.

Since we can't decide on how to do the SteamGAF GOTY, I propose that I make a list of 10 or so games and then you guys can vote on them in any order you choose as long as it matches mine. Sound good?

I mentioned this the other day but I would kill for Monster Hunter to be on PC. It's not a series for everyone but if it hooks you then by God it can take over your life. The other day I was actually considering importing a Japanese 3DS just so that I could play Monster Hunter X at release even though it would be in Japanese and I wouldn't understand a word of it. And I've only played the game for 50 odd hours. The true fanatics put in hundreds or even thousands of hours into it.

we don't have to do a steamgaf goty, just give the winner its award, the winner I'm talking about obviously being Witcher 3.

Khronico

DmC is still a good action game.

It's fine. By all accounts that rerelease is quite good and a marked improvement over the original. Personally, I don't like the overall 'style' of the game and couldn't see past that to really enjoy it, but I don't think it's a bad game at all.

Guess I'm not buying anymore DLC for Payday 2 and keeping it uninstalled. Absolutely horrible way to go about this Overkill.

w3 (and quite probably mgs5, judging by tpp) are garbage samey bullshit we've all seen a million times before.
So yeah, you're probably right.

4693846-3121246387-1NesK.gif

Mostly because of this screenshot (showcasing a return to voiceless protagonists):
AllianceClassicConvo_854x480.jpg

as well as general impressions that imply decisions have more permanence now. For instance, companions can die which is something sorely needed in the base story stuff.

Ughhhhh maybe I should get back into SWTOR....

There should be a game where you get to just judge nerdy stuff for whether it is truly a game, RPG, "real nerd", etc these days given how many people love to take up the mantle of gatekeeper for this sort of stuff.

Why can't people just let it go?

we don't have to do a steamgaf goty, just give the winner its award, the winner I'm talking about obviously being Witcher 3.
This man gets it.
I'd also be fine with MGSV just to see the meltdowns.

I just want Okami and Ace Attorney. I'm sure there is more I want that I'm just not aware of

Things from Capcom I'd love to have on PC (Steam):

DMC HD Collection
Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online edition
Darkstalkers Resurrection
MvC Origins
MvC 2
UMvC3
Strider
Strider 2
Magic Sword/Final Fight (without the DRM)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (without the DRM)
Breeath of Fire series
Dead Rising (and the offshoots of DR2)
Dino Crisis Series
RE 2, 3, CV
Ghouls N' Ghosts series
Godhand
Viewtiful Joe series
Killer 7
Knights of the Round
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Onimusha 1 & 2
Mega Man X series
Mega Man Powered Up

But wait, there's more stuff that I don't really care about as strongly as others:
Okami
Monster Hunter
Ace Attorney
Powerstone

And I'm sure I'm missing some too... this was a quick stab at a list. :3

That's not what I said.
I didn't say there wasn't a single person who would want it.
I just said there wasn't a frothing demand for it.

Jawmuncher

I would love if Capcom just brought over everything. They're my favorite company even if they treat my favorite franchise like shit. Considering I owned 90% of the humble bundle this month is truth enough of that.

Nzyme32

DMC HD Collection
Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online edition
Darkstalkers Resurrection
MvC Origins
MvC 2
UMvC3
Strider
Strider 2
Magic Sword/Final Fight (without the DRM)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (without the DRM)
Breeath of Fire series
Dead Rising (and the offshoots of DR2)
Dino Crisis Series
RE 2, 3, CV
Ghouls N' Ghosts series
Godhand
Viewtiful Joe series
Killer 7
Knights of the Round
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Onimusha 1 & 2
Mega Man X series
Mega Man Powered Up

But wait, there's more stuff that I don't really care about as strongly as others:
Okami
Monster Hunter
Ace Attorney
Powerstone

And I'm sure I'm missing some too... this was a quick stab at a list. :3

Oh yeah and all of those. I'm a huge mega man fan, can't believe I forgot that. Also Im a huge fan of the old street fighter games, so those would be nice. And how about some of that Okami Den too.

I would love if Capcom just brought over everything. They're my favorite company even if they treat my favorite franchise like shit. Considering I owned 90% of the humble bundle this month is truth enough of that.

Same -- I even bought it and just gave away most of it because it was an excuse to get the RE5:GOLD DLC since I could do it as a charitable contribution.

Mega Man Powered Up

Did Powered Up do that badly that they didn't even bother to make a sequel, or is it just Capcom gonna Capcom as they continue to ignore Mega Man? I may not have bought a PSP to play the first one, but if they made an MM2PU, that probably would have been a system seller for me. If they got to 3, that would have been gravy.

Getting back into modding Skyrim and it's so legitimately taxing on the brain. So much minutiae to be aware of, especially if you're not following a guide to the letter. And you have to read/watch video tutorials, make sure you're installing/cleaning/etc. things properly. Just takes a stupid amount of time and brainpower.

Dsyndrome

Getting back into modding Skyrim and it's so legitimately taxing on the brain. So much minutiae to be aware of, especially if you're not following a guide to the letter.

At least you don't have to clean Bethesda's files anymore with TES5Edit since they're done updating; Fallout 4 on the other hand...

I see a few people in my feed playing it and enjoying it but the price seems to remain stubbornly high. Plus there is a nasty Australian Tax applied to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom