• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

10 minutes into Netflix & chill and he gives you that look:

CsZXMcX.jpg

They released a beta build with bugs? Unbelievable! They should really warn people about that.

This is the first time I've ever had the beta update cause the client to repeatedly SEGFAULT on startup. And I've been using the beta branch of Steam on various platforms for the last 5+ years.

No? Handsome Jack is in like 6 screenshots and 4 trailers on the Steam page's official media.

ss_af5fcc0f6b946760ecbd089f3dd4ad4eb90acc45.600x338.jpg

ss_c4f44a173ff5f8474538ff270704913510b104ce.600x338.jpg

ss_7301bd85329ac539e479ea5bddbeb5c8e9ecf64a.600x338.jpg

Hrmmm, ok, I'll take your word for it -- your screen just made it look like it could be or something. Hence why I asked. ;)

^

That's fucking huge.

I know, right? I had to check twice to ensure it wasn't a SalsaShark post.

You must be happy that you finally have a major bug to report then.

Not really. I test software all day, the last thing I want is to be a tester for free outside of work. :p

Speaking of, is there a CLI option or flag for the process I can use to kick it back over to the stable release while it's busted?

Edit: I found something -- looks like the steam.exe takes a command -clearbeta which will remove you from the beta branch... the trick is to get it to run in OSX...

So if anyone else is having this issue, open a terminal and type:

Code:
open /Applications/Steam.app --args -clearbeta

It looked like it was working, for me. Fingers crossed.

Tenrius

Shadow of Mordor is actually fantastic. They basically nailed the Middle-Earth setting for me, the Nemesis system is great and it's actually one of the better designed open world games I played, simplistic, but does its job very well. It's basically everything Assassin's Creed wishes to be. What makes it really special though is the excellent progression system: there's no pointless upgrades, every ability makes you tangibly more powerful. Definitely recommend the game.

Tenrius

Not really. I test software all day, the last thing I want is to be a tester for free outside of work. :p

Speaking of, is there a CLI option or flag for the process I can use to kick it back over to the stable release while it's busted?

You can just download the installer and force it to update the client that way, I guess.

The first episode treats it like a major twist, but nothing else does, hell, he was in the game's announcement trailer.

It made it look like the guy behind handsome jack was some sort of clueless nice guy and the image that came across as the evil prick we love to hate in Borderlands 2. Granted, I have 0 knowledge of TftB or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel at this point, so I don't know any better.

Yeah that's my point. Don't use the beta if you don't want to beta test.
Or at least don't complain about it :)

Given the speed at which Valve makes any worthwhile changes to the "stable" client, that's normally a pretty silly idea. Factor in that an expectation of some quality control on an update for the beta on a given platform before they push it out and I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it should at least function on basic level.

And for the record, if you think my stating that the latest beta update complete broke the Steam client on Mac OSX was "complaining", you should probably go check the definition of the word. Last I checked, stating a fact wasn't the same as complaining. If I were complaining about it, the post would've read something like "Fucking Valve... blah blah... interns... blah blah trained monkey... blah blah now I can't stream games or chat... blah blah blah buncha incompentent jerks." :p

From the Nintendo Strategy Briefing

Nintendo’s new membership service will be called “Nintendo Account” — it will connect hardware users, as well as PC and smart device users, Mr. Kimishima says.

Its happening ?

Volimar

Finally got around to starting some of the New Vegas dlc. Dead Money was, ehhh...

It was nice to have to scrounge more, but the ghost hunters lost their creepy factor once I saw how easily they got stuck on railings and stuff. Also, boo at none of the companions being able to follow you out at the end. I give it a B.

Next up is the one with the weird floaty things with the monitor faces.

From Batman patch note post:
For Windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.

Holy hell, 12GB of RAM is the minimum requirement for Win10.

well the bad news is that all my mid terms are tomorrow, I'm nervous as fuck :x the good news is that pass or fail, I'll finally be done with that and can chillax for at the very least this weekend. Gonna play through the last 3 episodes of Life is Strange(pls let me make Warren my husbandu, chloe is for squares) and get on Until Dawn which I hear is a pretty short game.

wish me luck gaf, I'm going to need it. I'm off to sleep, don't want to get to school late tomorrow.

Dsyndrome

well the bad news is that all my mid terms are tomorrow, I'm nervous as fuck :x the good news is that pass or fail, I'll finally be done with that and can chillax for at the very least this weekend. Gonna play through the last 3 episodes of Life is Strange(pls let me make Warren my husbandu, chloe is for squares) and get on Until Dawn which I hear is a pretty short game.

wish me luck gaf, I'm going to need it. I'm off to sleep, don't want to get to school late tomorrow.
I've had a test every day this week, and have a fitness test on Friday. This time of year fucking sucks.

With your LiS statement, let me know how you when the end percentages show up in Ep.5.

I've had a test every day this week, and have a fitness test on Friday. This time of year fucking sucks.

With your LiS statement, let me know how you when the end percentages show up in Ep.5.

this time and the end of the semester are the absolute fucking worst. just getting flooded with exams and hw. Also I will, if it is possible to make warren your husbandu i bet its like a 4% or some lame shit like that cause everyone wanna hop on that chloe bandwagon.

btw, todays south park is hilarious!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why would anyone have less than 16 gb of ram at this point? *shudders* My greatest struggle with my most recent build was holding back from 32 gb because of ddr4 still being so pricy.

Why would anyone have less than 16 gb of ram at this point? *shudders* My greatest struggle with my most recent build was holding back from 32 gb because of ddr4 still being so pricy.

I started with 8gb just to get mine up and running, but at some point I got a promo for Newegg that had the same sticks for even lower than I originally paid so I decided "screw it, 16gb it is."

Someday, maybe I'll look at 32gb, but that seems a bit overkill at this point, especially as you point out due to the pricing.

Man, how times have changed -- back in 1998 my pc came with 128mb of RAM and maxed out at 384mb. (And that 128 wasn't cheap either...)
Then again, that was when 10gb was a HUGE hard drive and Napster hadn't even come and gone yet. O_O

Dsyndrome

I have 32GB on my laptop, and all that does is hide memory leaks in some games. By the time it comes into play, my 980M will probably be outclassed, and since the next gen of mobile GPU's aren't going to be plug and play after all, will have to suck it up until I get a new laptop in 3+ years.

Finally got around to starting some of the New Vegas dlc. Dead Money was, ehhh...

It was nice to have to scrounge more, but the ghost hunters lost their creepy factor once I saw how easily they got stuck on railings and stuff. Also, boo at none of the companions being able to follow you out at the end. I give it a B.

Enjoy friend because that might be the best one.

FLD

Wait, when did Ubisoft drop the prices of Unity and Rogue? Both are listed for 29,99$ CAD. I mean, I know Syndicate is coming soon but last I checked they were both still fairly expensive. Didn't expect that kind of a drop within a year.

That means they'll probably get low enough for me to bite during the holidays sale. Guess I should get around to playing Black Flag already.

dex3108

Every comment that says Batman AK runs fine is followed with PC specs that contain GTX 970 or better card. What about other 80% (I am guessing) who have older cards? Yeap they have issues in most cases.

Anustart

Gee, thanks TellTale. What good is cloud saving if the game doesn't fucking save locally OR in the cloud. So fucking dumb. Gotta play episode 1 all over because there's no save file.

Wait, when did Ubisoft drop the prices of Unity and Rogue? Both are listed for 29,99$ CAD. I mean, I know Syndicate is coming soon but last I checked they were both still fairly expensive. Didn't expect that kind of a drop within a year.

That means they'll probably get low enough for me to bite during the holidays sale. Guess I should get around to playing Black Flag already.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the newest stuff to get cheaper than $15 during a sale so I can throw it on the backlog pile.

I saw the AC:U price drop and figured it was partially because of oversaturation, in a way: AC:Unity and AC:Rogue came out within like 6 months of each other and now 6 months later, there's AC:Syndicate...

I also wish they'd drop the base price of FC4 so that when it gets put on sale, it falls in that sub $15 range for backlog consideration. :D

EdmondD

Dead Money is easily the weakest dlc. The other dlcs are way better at least in my opinion. Old World Blues is my favorite.

Dsyndrome

Looks like WB pulled the "Pre-release" moniker from launch reviews, because Shadownet's old review is back on the top and doesn't have the tag associated with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, has anyone made a Steam controller config for the first Just Cause? The last time I tried booting it up no one had literally touched it besides me. And I'm not one to sit there and try to configure the controller.

I was hoping someone would figure out a way to make it similar to Just Cause 2's 360 controller layout so I could go through Just Cause 1.

FLD

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the newest stuff to get cheaper than $15 during a sale so I can throw it on the backlog pile.

I saw the AC:U price drop and figured it was partially because of oversaturation, in a way: AC:Unity and AC:Rogue came out within like 6 months of each other and now 6 months later, there's AC:Syndicate...

I also wish they'd drop the base price of FC4 so that when it gets put on sale, it falls in that sub $15 range for backlog consideration. :D

Oh right, I forgot that Rogue was a delayed release on PC. That might be why. Looking at SteamSpy numbers, it doesn't seem to have done too hot.

Oh well, works for me. I'm pretty much playing the series on a 2 years delay anyway. Just means I get to grab them a bit earlier than planned. No way I'm paying more than 15$ for an AC game. Not after the way I essentially got screwed out of 70$ on ACIII...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom