• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

I've been replaying Arkham Asylum while waiting for more sales to get the games I actually want to play, and I've discovered that I think I enjoy(ed) Asylum more than the sequels because of how simpler and straight-forward it is. The other games really got bloated with new mechanics and collectibles which detracted from the immersion.

I've been replaying Arkham Asylum while waiting for more sales to get the games I actually want to play, and I've discovered that I think I enjoy(ed) Asylum more than the sequels because of how simpler and straight-forward it is. The other games really got bloated with new mechanics and collectibles which detracted from the immersion.

Asylum provides a tighter experience, for sure... it's more controlled and plays out more like a metroidvania than an open world game. The open world structure of City is sparse at times and yet remains bloated by the sheer number of collectables and map traveling required to work through 100% of the game. Add in the strange Catwoman side story as part of the main narrative and it was just not the direction I wished the series was going in.

I was a bit burnt out on the series after working through City and getting platinum (especially since my save from vanilla didn't transfer to GOTY and I had to work through the whole thing multiple times again), but by the time I got to Origins, I actually thought it was refreshing. While some of the boss fights were a bit janky and some of it was a little "B-team", I enjoyed the narrative, world design, inclusion of "detective" scenarios to change up the pace more than I had with City.

Teggy

So, has anyone made a Steam controller config for the first Just Cause? The last time I tried booting it up no one had literally touched it besides me. And I'm not one to sit there and try to configure the controller.

I was hoping someone would figure out a way to make it similar to Just Cause 2's 360 controller layout so I could go through Just Cause 1.

When I played it I initially used a joy2key template for my 360 controller but the driving was so terrible I finally gave up and just used mouse and keyboard. Driving was still pretty rough, it's super sensitive and prone to oversteer, particularly with the motorcycles.

I'm currently playing through Quake II for the first time on PC and its amazing how its pretty much an "open world" game (if each section is considered its own world)

My only point of reference for Quake II is the N64 port and I remember it being waaaaay different. Still an amazing game and holds up relatively well imo

chronomac

The photo mode is neat:

1nVnnDz.jpg

eU9zPOH.jpg

I've got a FX-6300 and HD 7950 and I can play on Normal/1080p at a constant 30 FPS with little to no stuttering. The benchmark wavered between 45-60 but I wanted a little bit of consistency so I turned the cap on. Seems a bit better than pre-patch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's half the EU price.
Thanks, Ubi!

Rogue is also 29.99 in EU. Unless you're talking conversion rates, and we all know thats a pointless conversation.

Unity also dropped, but to 39.99 (I guess it was 59.99 and not 49.99 like Rogue was)

Rogue is also 29.99 in EU. Unless you're talking conversion rates, and we all know thats a pointless conversation.

Unity also dropped, but to 39.99 (I guess it was 59.99 and not 49.99 like Rogue was)

Conversion rates are pointless, you are 100% right sir.

--

So I beat NG+ in RL only to realize that mistakes were made... damn, I should've leveled a bit more before taking out the final boss in NG+.

The photo mode is neat:

1nVnnDz.jpg

eU9zPOH.jpg

I've got a FX-6300 and HD 7950 and I can play on Normal/1080p at a constant 30 FPS with little to no stuttering. The benchmark wavered between 45-60 but I wanted a little bit of consistency so I turned the cap on. Seems a bit better than pre-patch.

Nice report. It seems that we have similar PC specs.
How about on High/1080p? Will it dip below 30fps?

Xanathus

If Unity gets a 50% discount with this new base price I probably will pick it up.

dot

Man....the combat in Alan Wake sucks. :|

I'm on Chapter 3 and at this point i'm just forcing myself to beat the game and get it over with already.

Cmagus

header.jpg

So this just came out and it's by the Funcom team that did The Secret World. I decided to grab it for $10 because it was on sale and figured I could use a good horror game. The game takes less than an hour to complete and it's kind of boring. The last part of the game they try a P.T looping type thing but end up doing nothing with it. After a few loops it stops and literally nothing can kill you.

The voice acting and brief story is alright and the game looks pretty nice it serves it's purpose but the price is way too much it literally feels like one level of a full game.It took me longer to download the game then it did to play it.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I'm on Chapter 3 and at this point i'm just forcing myself to beat the game and get it over with already.

I found it meh. It picks back up a bit when you get some better weaps. I bought the ver with "American Nightmare" and that's never getting played, lol, even though I think I would play a legit sequel.

Turfster

It doesn't get better.
It's literally the same shit over and over again in badly designed encounters.

Tizoc

SEGA pls
now is the time for the Taxman Sonic 1 and 2 ports on Steam, etc.
SEGA pls

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

From the Nintendo Strategy Briefing

Its happening ?

Yo Super Mario collection Vol. 1 for $20 featuring
NES SMB1
GB SMB1
Famicom Disk System SMB2 JP
SMB2 Eng.
NES SMB3
SNES/GBA hybrids of the first 3 games
Super Mario World SNES with the GBA additions
Art Gallery
Sound/Music gallery

I'd get that for $20, if Ninty puts the effort into the ports.

Next release from Arc System Works is Getsuei Gakuen Kou. Japanese language only though.

That is an odd release, are they doing it for the Jp consumers?

mrgone

I found it meh. It picks back up a bit when you get some better weaps. I bought the ver with "American Nightmare" and that's never getting played, lol, even though I think I would play a legit sequel.

American Nightmare is pretty much Alan Wake's mercenary mode - the combat's significantly better there. I liked the score attack maps best, though. The main "open world" campaign of American Nightmare is novel and would've been a lot better with more interesting content to fill it out - it's mostly just busywork between fights that doesn't have the charm of the original. As a pure action game it's pretty fun.

Help. I'm becoming one of those giant post weirdos.
Looks like WB pulled the "Pre-release" moniker from launch reviews, because Shadownet's old review is back on the top and doesn't have the tag associated with it.

Great news. I guess it really was a bug.

Not even WB is that insane.
My new favorite meme. I don't even have to add the caption.
7271E23E13443406452F26A34F33D99708D2AF53

Is this the game zkylon has been working on? I want to believe.
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4:

Alright, who were the
50.7% of cowards who didn't backstab their "friends" and rule Hyperion with an iron fist and HANDSOME GODDAMN JACK?
Well..
It's the Rhys thing to be, but anyone else would see it's a giant friggin' trap from the get-go. Fiona would never be so silly.
Now accepting applications.
07ywU0e.jpg

Then you exit the game and they're all back. Could've been so much more.

Haha yeah. I saw you playing it. I just finished it a few days ago. By the end of it I was glad it was over. Not to say I did not enjoy it but it was just the same thing over and over for 8 hours or so.

I enjoyed American Nightmare more.

Sure Alan Wake combat is mediocre at its worst, it's still functional. The story, characters, and atmosphere was worth putting up with it. In the end, I think you'll be glad you played it through.

chronomac

Nice report. It seems that we have similar PC specs.
How about on High/1080p? Will it dip below 30fps?

I was able to bump texures to High with 8x Anisotropic Filtering and keep it at a near-constant 30. Keep in mind, I have it installed on an SSD. Not sure how big of a difference it makes though.

EdmondD

header.jpg

So this just came out and it's by the Funcom team that did The Secret World. I decided to grab it for $10 because it was on sale and figured I could use a good horror game. The game takes less than an hour to complete and it's kind of boring. The last part of the game they try a P.T looping type thing but end up doing nothing with it. After a few loops it stops and literally nothing can kill you.

The voice acting and brief story is alright and the game looks pretty nice it serves it's purpose but the price is way too much it literally feels like one level of a full game.It took me longer to download the game then it did to play it.

That's disappointing to hear. The developers themselves said the game was 2 to 3 hours. I was surprised by their candor. It put me off the game though. I'll just wait for a sale of a game that short.

dot

I don't know, i'm just not feeling the gameplay. I mean it's not terrible... but it could be way better. I have some other major gripes too, like the voice acting and dumb things like Alan having the stamina of an 100 year old man.

Haha yeah. I saw you playing it. I just finished it a few days ago. By the end of it I was glad it was over. I enjoyed American Nightmare more.

Ah, how is the sequel or whatever? I probably won't play that until like next Halloween lol.

Sure Alan Wake combat is mediocre at its worst, it's still functional. The story, characters, and atmosphere was worth putting up with it. In the end, I think you'll be glad you played it through.

The problem is that everything in Alan Wake is mediocre at best. The light-based combat is the only inspired thing about AW, and it sucks.

Just imagine Deadly Premonition with that combat engine... it would be better!

Cmagus

That's disappointing to hear. The developers themselves said the game was 2 to 3 hours. I was surprised by their candor. It put me off the game though. I'll just wait for a sale of a game that short.
The game is pretty much a straight path. You basically walk through the park and get on rides and then you ride them while she talks. You do this for a few rides the you enter a haunted house that's basically a P.T clone with the looping but after a few loops you get the last cutscenes.

Other than that there are notes everywhere you can read. I read everything I saw but maybe I missed some but the story is straight forward that I can't see how it matters. I've read there is stuff in TSW that ties into this but I'll never see that. I guess if you search everything you may be able to add a bit more time but everything thing is just a straight path I can't see many areas you could go explore if anything is hidden.

EdmondD

The game is pretty much a straight path. You basically walk through the park and get on rides and then you ride them while she talks. You do this for a few rides the you enter a haunted house that's basically a P.T clone with the looping but after a few loops you get the last cutscenes.

Other than that there are notes everywhere you can read. I read everything I saw but maybe I missed some but the story is straight forward that I can't see how it matters. I've read there is stuff in TSW that ties into this but I'll never see that. I guess if you search everything you may be able to add a bit more time but everything thing is just a straight path I can't see many areas you could go explore if anything is hidden.

Whenever a developer says something is x hours you know it is going to be a hell of a lot shorter than that. I take my time with my games and even then the estimates are always bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom