• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Is it safe to preorder Fallout 4 off Nuuvem? It's $46 there and the page doesn't say anything about region lock.

I read that they're no longer allowing purchases unless you have a Brazilian addressed credit card or Paypal account even if you use a VPN, they'll notify the region lock at checkout.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

GALAK-Z

WZe3vaF.jpg

Is this the game zkylon has been working on? I want to believe.

Is zkylon working on Zestiria? :eek:

I was able to bump texures to High with 8x Anisotropic Filtering and keep it at a near-constant 30. Keep in mind, I have it installed on an SSD. Not sure how big of a difference it makes though.

That's pretty nice to hear.
Thanks!

Whoa, Arkham Knight is only 95 Ringgit (22 USD) here. Pricing error?

I doubt it.
It's $24 (Rp 240k) here as well. It's just that cheap.

Knurek

Whenever a developer says something is x hours you know it is going to be a hell of a lot shorter than that. I take my time with my games and even then the estimates are always bs.

Unless that developer is CDPR.
Took me 10.5 hours to clear Heart of Stones, pretty much the exact amount they boasted.

Adnor

Banned
It doesn't get better.
It's literally the same shit over and over again in badly designed encounters.

I stopped playing
just after the concert because the next chapter started exactly the same way the last two did, you lose all your weapons and just run from furniture. Or at least I think you started the next chapter like that? Anyway, soon after the concert you run from furniture and I just found those encounters boring.

Someday I'll try to finish it, my best friend still bothers me for never giving it a second chance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do nvidia code owners get anything?

Doubt it as the bundled copies weren't considered pre-orders despite the keys being distributed before release. The likely outcome is that WB will consider those with Nvidia keys to have gotten the game for free and so they're not owed anything.

Do you guys ever think Steam would fix the Steam Music part with spotify or anything else? I would love to be able to hit the home/guide button and be able to play/pause or skip track. But what I'd love is to have a hotkey setup on a controller, like Hold Back and hit the right bumper to advance to the next track. Does something like this currently exist? I was looking at controller companion, but it disables it when a game starts that isn't a profile.

Kaleinc

Banned
I have some other major gripes too, like the voice acting and dumb things like Alan having the stamina of an 100 year old man.
Actually Alan has stamina of a real man or even better. You're just used to playing as Chuck Norris on steroids.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh my, I liked Alan Wake but not for its combat. I'll copy and link my Steam review since I think I summarize my thoughts there.

Alan Wake is an episodic psychological-thriller action game that follows the titular author on his 'vacation' to the fictional Pacific Northwest town of Bright Falls. Alan has fallen on hard times, after writing his very successful Alex Casey crime-drama series, he hasn't been able to write another book for the last two years, and has become far more well-known for his violent out-lashes at the press. He and his wife, Alice, are hoping to get away from it all, away from the bustling city of New York that they're accustomed too to the small and peaceful Washington town ... However, this goes terribly wrong after a series of odd occurrences at their resting cabin ends up with Alan waking up a week later with no memory of what happened in the last week, his wife missing, and strange shadow people coming after him in the darkness of the woods.

Alan Wake at its best is an immersive trip both into the rather colorful and well-realized town of Bright Falls, and the more sinister and campy lurkings that pull from everything from Stephen King to Lovecraft to David Lynch. At its worst its a repetitive combat game where you'll often get lost in the woods.

Maybe more appropriately stated is that Alan Wake is a huge love it/hate it game. There are elements of Alan Wake that it pulls off beautifully, while other elements wear rather thin over its course. Honestly how much you enjoy the game deals completely in how grand you enjoy what it does right, and how much you can deal with what it does wrong.

Alan Wake is a rather gorgeous game. It has fantastic art direction, a well-done lighting system, matched with fantastic optimization for PC and probably some of the best realized forest settings and night lighting realized in games. Its visual flair suffers a bit from some weird facial animations from the characters, but during sections of the game where you stand on mountains overlooking a valley below full of details, it can be kind of breath-taking. Bright Falls feels like a real-place, and the way they connect everything and how it all fits together as an overall map is impressive. It does feel like a vibrant, lived-in place often during the daytime sections of gameplay where you get to explore and take everything in.

It also has a very elegant soundtrack to it. The compositions really switch between three tones; beautiful symphonic pieces for the more relaxing and emotional scenes of the game, low-keyed and sometimes a bit sinister down-time music to match exploration and dreary environments, and rather thunderous 'struggle' music of when the action gets going. From this, the beautiful symphonic pieces definitely stand-out, but none of it is really bad. On-top of this, a variety of licensed songs have been chosen for the game, which play on radios and during episode endings. And sound-design is rather top-notch, with atmospheric forestry sounds, creaks in rustic homes, and little sounds that really help make the atmosphere and world. The sounds of shining light on enemies, shooting your gun, and your flashlight turning on, are all also suitably satisfying.

The gameplay of Alan Wake is really split into two modes; Exploration mode, where you're in a location without enemies with a variety of small tasks you can do, both for progression and for fun, and Night Time, when often you're isolated and alone (or with someone who you question how long they're going to last) as monsters come out at you from the woods. The night time takes up probably about 80% of the game, while exploration mode happens about 20% of the time.

The combat system is fairly simple, though with a few tricks to it. Enemies are covered in shadows which make them invincible to bullets, so the first goal is to disperse the shadows with your light. You can focus-down a strong beam of light that will chip more at the shadows of an enemy, but rapidly consumes battery power, or do a normal light, which does a lot less damage to Taken but slowly recharges the battery. If you use up a battery, it will go out and be off for about 10 seconds, unless you put in a new battery, but of which come in limited supplies. You can also use light to also stun enemies by flashing them with a strong beam quickly, which is useful if you decide to flee rather than fight. The guns feel rather samey, but you also get flashbang grenades, which will kill in one-hit weaker enemies and damage stronger ones, and flares, which you can light to ward-off enemies or deplete at their shadows.

Alan's final form of dealing with Taken is to flee from encounters, but this can be a bit tricky at first. Alan has very limited sprinting (he'll tire out after about 15 seconds and lower his pace to a light jog), and the enemies can catch-up to you without some intervention. The real art of fleeing in Alan Wake isn't just running, but to manage your stamina meter (it's better to stop before you tire-out to recharge it than letting it run out), and managing the enemies with your light by briefly flashing a strong light on them to stun them for a few moments.

All-in-all, it can be satisfying, but as the game goes on it can also be fairly repetitive. There's only about seven types of enemies through the course of the game, and three of them are rather similar. The limited selection and the amount of times you face the enemies can be a bit tiring.

Also a good portion of the game is set in forests., especially early on. The game throws you into a lot of forests where if you're not good at keeping direction in mind or marking landmarks, it can get very easy to get lost.

But there is some good mix-up here. A variety of set-pieces and moments lay littered through the adventure to help break the tedium of combat, ranging from atmospheric and moody caverns, stage show showdowns, a variety of exploration and daytime sections, police chases, car driving segments, and more. In some parts of the game you won't be fighting alone, and notably during Episodes 4 and 5 especially, they tread you away from the forests to much more interesting locations.

Alan Wake may test on some gamers patience, but there is also a lot to love here. The characters are colorful, and through the game's course are very easy to like. Optional side-stuff, including interesting radio broadcasts and black-and-white Twilight Zone parodies you can watch on televisions through the world are enjoyable.

There are a total of 8 episodes in Alan Wake, and to beat them all should take you somewhere between 12-24 hours. The breaking point for many comes during Episode 3, which is notably the longest episode in the whole game, and with less story developments than most of the other episodes as well.

On a personal level, I really enjoyed Alan Wake. It has flaws, the biggest one being repetition, but the overall package I found to be immersive, to have enjoyable TV-show like gameplay segments (fun characters, cliffhangers, location design), and I got rather wrapped up in the story and world of the game. There's stand-out moments in gameplay, and I can honestly say there is no other game quite like Alan Wake. While it pulls from a lot of sources, it manages to be unlike any other game, and quite unique.

But there is drudgery here, and if you're less a fan of camp, world-building, and more dragged down by repetition of combat, you may very well not enjoy your trip to Bright Falls. To some, the game comes off as a mediocre game with flashes of brilliance that it unfortunately does not ever quite live up too.

Alan Wake will either strike with you or will not, a rather polarizing game. However, if you're a fan of horror authors, television programs like Twin Peaks or Happy Town, or want a believable Pacific Northwest setting, this may do you in.

>Also Episode 4 & 8 are the best, without a doubt.

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/108710

Durante

Put 8GB in one slot, and a 4GB card in another slot.
Who would even do that anyway.
My previous build (from 2009) had 12 GB memory. It was an i7 920, so it had a triple channel bus, so 3*4 GB made perfect sense. (Actually, I think it was 6*2 GB)

And soon, I'll upgrade my current system to 48 GB. Fuck yeah strange amounts of memory!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Put 8GB in one slot, and a 4GB card in another slot.
Who would even do that anyway.

I have a 4+4/2+2 configuration. I plan on upgrading next year and figured that a bump up to 12GB, which represented a saving of around $50 versus a bump up to 16GB, would be enough to see me through until then.

My previous build (from 2009) had 12 GB memory. It was an i7 920, so it had a triple channel bus, so 3*4 GB made perfect sense. (Actually, I think it was 6*2 GB)

And soon, I'll upgrade my current system to 48 GB. Fuck yeah strange amounts of memory!

I have a 4+4/2+2 configuration. I plan on upgrading next year and figured that a bump up to 12GB, which represented a saving of around $50 versus a bump up to 16GB, would be enough to see me through until then.

Lol, my previous PC had 6GB memory. 2GB from the initial build, and another 4GB I bought later to play more demanding games.

My current PC is still using that 4GB + another 4GB I bought when I built it. If I were to upgrade to 16 or 32, I'll have to get a single 16GB. My next PC will cost me a fortune I guess, as I'm also aiming for the Skylake and the next Nvidia gpu. But I hope It'll be able to serve me for a long time, way longer than this one (6 years and still counting).

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It's been awhile, but I think the frustrating thing about Alan Wake's combat was that much like the rest of the game it never really settled comfortably into doing one thing well. It straddled an uncomfortable area between survival horror and action. American Nightmare did away with all the survival trappings and gave you an arsenal to use against a bigger and better variety of enemies--but also did away with all of the grand level design of the original and had you repeating the same three areas three different ways in a time loop. I was personally okay with it, but I can tell a lot of other folks here did not like it.

I think if I were to replay the Wake games, I'd rate my interest American Nightmare > Alan Wake > Alan Wake's DLC chapters.

Those DLC chapters had some neat ideas with remixing Wake's levels, but playing them immediately after the main game was a chore.

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5:

Nope. TFTB is entirely Telltale's writers --- no meme joke, no Claptrap and an actual characterization to all characters, even returning ones.

Well, this was a lie. Anthony Burch helped write Episode 5, according to the credits.

Which makes sense, because it was a mostly cringeworthy shitfest with a whole bunch of asspulls.

I should just stop beating games. It seems most of them have no idea how to close a fucking story.

Of course, in the end, none of my choices mattered either... So I guess I can't say I'm too surprised because, y'know, Telltale.

Oh my, I liked Alan Wake but not for its combat. I'll copy and link my Steam review since I think I summarize my thoughts there.

I just played through it about two weeks ago and I wasn't super into until whatever chapter it is that you are on the stage, but after that I was hooked. I'm a little bummed out the future of the series is so uncertain considering all the great stuff they did in Special 2. I'm still not clear on if American Nightmare is supposed to be a real sequel or a what if kind of deal. The Thomas Zane stuff every getting super strange to just leave it hanging. I guess its true to form though considering how Twin Peaks ended.

Dusk Golem

I just played through it about two weeks ago and I wasn't super into until whatever chapter it is that you are on the stage, but after that I was hooked. I'm a little bummed out the future of the series is so uncertain considering all the great stuff they did in Special 2. I'm still not clear on if American Nightmare is supposed to be a real sequel or a what if kind of deal. The Thomas Zane stuff every getting super strange to just leave it hanging. I guess its true to form though considering how Twin Peaks ended.

That's Chapter 4, and yes, Chapter 4 and 8 are the best.

American Nightmare takes place after AW and spoils AW, but doesn't move the story further by much rather than explore things... But it does explore things a little. Alan Wake ending spoilers:
It delves more into the fate of Alan, and Alan has a new enemy in American Nightmare, Mr. Scratch, the doppleganger we see at the end of AW, and he's actually a really cool villain, much better than the original games.

(Though Twin Peaks 3rd season is in development right now)

That's Chapter 4, and yes, Chapter 4 and 8 are the best.

American Nightmare takes place after AW and spoils AW, but doesn't move the story further by much rather than explore things... But it does explore things a little. Alan Wake ending spoilers:
It delves more into the fate of Alan, and Alan has a new enemy in American Nightmare, Mr. Scratch, the doppleganger we see at the end of AW, and he's actually a really cool villain, much better than the original games.

(Though Twin Peaks 3rd season is in development right now)

I started looking around to see what the deal was with American Nightmare when I started it, since it kind of throws you in the middle of things and I was sort of confused. The Remedy interviews I found seemed to imply that the story wasn't necessarily canon, although the events that took place were in line with the direction they wanted to take the series.

Dusk Golem

I started looking around to see what the deal was with American Nightmare when I started it, since it kind of throws you in the middle of things and I was sort of confused. The Remedy interviews I found seemed to imply that the story wasn't necessarily canon, although the events that took place were in line with the direction they wanted to take the series.

No, it's canon, but it's a spin-off. It's a sequel, but the story doesn't really move past where Alan Wake ended, except in one or two areas, And there's some implications of things to come towards the end of AN of things to come. Alan Wake 1, not American Nightmare, spoilers, but to explain American Nightmare:
Alan is in the dark place and is still trapped there, but he can appear and disappear with the darkness from time to time, since he inherently is part of the 'Darkness now, so he can pop in and out sort of like how Tom could, but only in places where the darkness is summoned. He is working in the episode through a sort of loophole where a written episode of the fictional TV series, Night Springs, is happening, in Arizona. Night Springs is not in Arizona, it is a town that can show up anywhere, it just so happens tonight to be in Arizona. Without spoiling AN, by the end of the episode Alan Wake is basically where he started at the end of the first game, he is still trapped in the Dark Place, but we do see more of where Alan Wake's current 'role' is and we deal and explore the Mr. Scratch character in full.

It's got some flaws, but I think worth playing. Its combat is much improved, and the open-world style stages are nice, but missing some of the story/atmosphere charm of the original game.

To post my review of AMERICAN NIGHTMARE...

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a spin-off/sequel to Alan Wake. A heads-up about the game and this review, Alan Wake's American Nightmare takes place after Alan Wake, and has spoilers for the first game. It really shouldn't be played until after the first game, and as such with this review I am going to be comparing it a lot to the first game, and will drop a few spoilers.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare takes place in Arizona, in a
fictional town known as Night Springs. However, as we find out early on, Night Springs is not actually a solid place, but rather rather more like an illusion brought to life by the Darkness, and a town that can appear anywhere, just tonight it happens to be in Arizona. When we last saw Alan Wake, he was trapped in the Dark Place, and in American Nightmare he still hasn't quite escaped. Instead, he appears where the darkness goes, and in this case he has written himself into reality as a the hero to an episode of the TV series from the first game, Night Springs. He's done so to combat Mr. Scratch, who's called as such as trying to say his real name comes out like scratching noises. Mr. Scratch is Alan's doppelganger, who was seen briefly towards the end of Alan Wake. He's come into reality since, after Alan's disappearance, rumors of the author who went missing into the night has spread, and these rumors have taken on the form of Mr. Scratch, a psychopathic killer who wears Alan's face.

American Nightmare is even more focused on combat than the original game was, but the combat has seen a lot of improvements. It feels much more solid and fast-paced, on-top of the fact the enemy variety this time is much larger and weirder. There are even more guns, and they manage to feel more varied than the original game as well. This is all backed with still impressive lighting effects, and an overall sleeker look to keep up with the more sci-fi tones this game has.

However, with the improved combat comes a step-down of a lot of the charm the original game had. There's no full-on exploration sequences this time around, and the atmosphere is not nearly as immersive this time either.

Basically, there's a throw-up between improvements and downgrades. For one, the levels are now no longer linear, instead being more hub-like small open-worlds that you can explore, and generally are fun to as well. There are find-able manuscript pages, televisions, and radios like the first game, but they're more spread-out. There are also guns to unlock, and side-areas to explore just to really explore them. This is a welcome change of pace, especially for a much more combat-composed game.

On the other hand, the story is not nearly as interesting. Alan Wake spends most of the narrative chasing down
Mr. Scratch
, and interacting with a few different chicks that
Mr. Scratch
has managed to swoon. However, the story in AWAN really doesn't go much further than where Alan Wake ended off, and more elaborates on the ending of the first game rather than move past it, and as such really feels more like filler and sort of lacks climax, conclusion, or really any huge developments.

However,
Mr. Scratch
is a very enjoyable villain. He makes more of an impact than the antagonists of the first game, being deliciously
psychopathic and charismatic, and dealing in twisted acts with a child-like glee.
The televisions you can find with him are definitely one of the highlights of the game.

But then, in probably the biggest flaw for the game, and something really stupid, is that in the game's story you go through its three 'hub' stages three times each. The excuse is that Alan Wake is
stuck in a time-loop, and time keeps on resetting itself so he has to start from the beginning again until he can break the cycle
. What this means for gameplay is that there really are only three levels in the game, and each one is repeated three times. They do change things up, areas not previously available open up and different events happen each visit, but it still is a bizarre design decision.

Made even more bizarre by the game's wave-based horde-like mode. This mode is actually a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, and honestly may be more fun than the game's actual campaign. It's very frantic, tense, with an addicting risk-and-reward system to try and get high-scores in the mode's five different stages. And this is where it gets bizarre, as the 5 stages in this mode are completely different than the stages in the main game, hell some of the stages are actually larger than the main game's stages. On-top of this, you can actually see the Horde-mode stages in the background of the main story, and see the main story's stages in the background of the Horde Mode stages. Why these five other locations weren't added to the game's story to help keep things more varied is completely lost on me.

But the game's Horde Mode, known as Arcade Mode, is completely worth taking part in. It's inclusion is surprising, but not nearly as surprising as how well-executed it actually is.

For an arcade-like shooter, Alan Wake's American Nightmare is not bad at all for a spin-off. It's fun, fairly tightly made, and has some fun content to delve in. However, it also as a spin-off feels it misses the mark of what people loved about Alan Wake in several ways, and focuses on the elements that were less enjoyable. Given here, they definitely have been improved, but it strikes as an odd decision.

If you liked Alan Wake and want more of it, this is and isn't it. In some ways it retains the charms of the original game, but also doesn't quite have everything that made the original game charming. It is more fun strictly gameplay-wise than Alan Wake, but then it is arguable if that actually makes it more enjoyable overall as it misses what made the first game really enjoyable in many ways.

Basically, I cut it like this; The new stuff they introduce is well-done and appreciated, such as the open-world levels,
Mr. Scratch
as an antagonist, and the surprisingly fun Arcade Mode. The game focuses on combat, which was not the first game's strong point, but it pulls it off much better here, with better mechanics and a larger enemy selection. However, elements like down-time exploration moments, much of the atmosphere, and the narrative are mostly missing or much more limited. And the game is plagued by one big problem, repeating levels, which is made bizarre as the Arcade Mode has completely different levels the devs could of used that are even tied-in with the stories' locations.

But it's an enjoyable little romp, and an interesting spin-off that does expand more on the world of Alan Wake, while also improving over it in some ways. It isn't quite as good, but is enjoyable in its own way. If you like exploration, the locations are fun with multiple landmarks and sections. The music is still appropriate and moody, with a few-stand-out tracks. The voicing gets hammier, but it works with the sort of hammier tone of the game (being modeled after a parody of Twilight Zone and all).

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is not the sequel fans may clamor for, but is an enjoyable arcade spin-off.

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/202750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom