• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well I am not the biggest fan of the dualshock d-pad for an extended period of time so that might be okay.

Vita d-pad is really damn good though I agree.

Yeah, that was what I meant. The problem is that they did not ditch the DS d-pad design entirely

Buraindo

After restarting the game about four times, I finally managed to beat The Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
First off, little note: This game is meant to be played in co-op so I missed some things here and there and I'm sure that it's an even more enjoyable experience with a full party of three. It's by no means unplayable in single player. The AI, while obviously not as reliable as actual players, is good enough to prevent the game from turning into a frustrating mess, at least while playing on Normal difficulty. I wouldn't recommend playing on higher difficulty levels without a proper party.
I have to say I enjoyed my time with War in the North. The combat is definitely the title's strongest point. It's simple but extremely enjoyable. The graphics, while not the best even for its time, have aged surprisingly well and the game does have some nice vistas.
Not sure how many will agree on this but I thought that Snowblind used the license decently, it's no LOTRO when it comes to atmosphere, but it does capture some of Middle Earth's charm.
I didn't much care for the story or the characters as they all felt a bit too familiar and uninteresting for my taste. Didn't help that the quality of the voice acting was extremely inconsistent.
All in all War in the North is a decent game, far from a masterpiece but good enough for me to recommend it if you like co-op, third person action RPGs and Lord of the Rings.

So we can at least agree that the vita's dpad is one of the greatest dpads ever made, right? I wish they just slapped that dpad on the ps4, just make it bigger and we're gold

RS4-

i actually bought a Saturn with my own money when I was..what, like 10? Owned it for a week, all I played was the demo disc. Good thing VF was on it.

So yeah, I don't remember how good the dpad was. So for me, it's just the SNES or PSX.

I've barely used my Vita since buying it day one, so I can't even comment on that.

Anteater

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is fun, haven't finished it as my friends aren't too enthusiastic about it... I love hack and slash myself especially ones that don't have batman influenced combat.

Beat it when it came out on 360. No Chaos run because I wanted to be sneaky. I've gone full on Salsa and dug out my 3DS
playing Chrono Trigger though.

damn have you replayed it on pc? because that game still looks amazing

zkylon

zkylewd
ppl keep saying you have to be low chaos to be sneaky, that's just not true

you can be loud as long as you murder everybody in the area quick enough

or you can just knife ppl from the back instead of choking them

just way more satisfying than playing pacifist either way

i actually bought a Saturn with my own money when I was..what, like 10? Owned it for a week, all I played was the demo disc. Good thing VF was on it.

So yeah, I don't remember how good the dpad was. So for me, it's just the SNES or PSX.

I've barely used my Vita since buying it day one, so I can't even comment on that.

man, remember demo discs

those things were hype, i remember being insanely amazed with the ps1's demo discs i had

styl3s

I got a Saturn one christmas with Virtua Cop w/ Light gun and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and i remember being so blown away with virtua cop i begged my dad to take me to my aunts house on christmas morning to show her how amazing it was (she babysat me a lot)

Nvidia people, can you help me? I don't know why but now nvidia experience tell me that every single game in the list isn't optimized. Why is that? Before I could do it.

edit: nvm it's fixed

I'm totally surprised you didn't manage to off yourself with the automatic seek-and-destroy nature of the staff Anubis drops. I'm pretty sure you could've used it to waste that mummy (also, if you have the spike boots, those mummy enemies aren't so bad if you come at them from above).
Totally got tunnel-vision to see what's happening at the drop below me and did not see the second mummy coming from the right. Gotta keep my calm but I can't help it. Once it is World 4 I get super jumpy.
you should basically never use that rod as a weapon
Really? It does solid damage and even homes in at enemies though!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Totally got tunnel-vision to see what's happening at the drop below me and did not see the second mummy coming from the right. Gotta keep my calm but I can't help it. Once it is World 4 I get super jumpy.

It's so easy to kill yourself by mistake with it, you actually nearly did it in that webm :p

Grief.exe

z8hNQsW.png

vtgb2bj.gif

Yes, but if you're too far from your target, it will come back and fuck you up and insta-kill you. Should only be used when absolutely necessary. You've obviously forgotten the story of me trying to use in on 4-1 when I had 50+ bombs, 20+ ropes, and 125k+ with everything looking peachy (layout forced me to since i had no shotgun and there was a keeper guarding the exit). Didn't get close cause I didn't want to agitate the keeper and the staff projectile came back on me instead of going after the keeper. i'm really surprised it didn't backfire on you when you dropped all those extra shots on the dead worshiper.

It's so easy to kill yourself by mistake with it, you actually nearly did it in that webm :p

Ayup.

FloatOn

Ha! I only thought I was on the last level seeing as how I was in hades and everything... Turns out I have 3 other levels to do in apotheon. Screw that noise, the game has been largely repetitive and the weird combat while neat at first has worn thin.

Deleted.

Jawmuncher

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I agree that Ys 1 is better than Ys 2. I thought magic made Ys 2 a little too easy, and I definitely got lost a few times like you did (I didn't mind it as much though). I also liked the story better in Ys 1, I guess. What difficulty did you play on?

Played on easy since the bullet hell style bosses can be difficult for me.

Jawmuncher

Has the transformers Devastation thread said how long the game is?
Going from the achievement's, seems it might be short and more focused on replay ability. Which isn't a bad thing, just curious.

gelf

This is also true. Fun fact people still look for Saturn Pads for fighting games simply because of it's D-pad.

Yep its the god of d-pads and I continue to use it in 2D games to this day. I will have regularly used the one that came with my Saturn on and off for 20 years by next year and its still going strong.

RS4-

man, remember demo discs

those things were hype, i remember being insanely amazed with the ps1's demo discs i had

I don't remember what I had on PSX. I think it was PS Underground or whatever? I actually bought a PSX and PS2 a few years after they were released, which kind of sucked.

I got a Saturn one christmas with Virtua Cop w/ Light gun and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and i remember being so blown away with virtua cop i begged my dad to take me to my aunts house on christmas morning to show her how amazing it was (she babysat me a lot)

VC was great, Time Crisis, all that. Well maybe not TC1, that shit was hard. But yeah, I had a bunch of arcades all within sub 1hr public transit, so either a lot of ports were crap or just old by the time they came out.

Time Crisis 2 was so good. And then 3 came out, what a piece of shit. Never did own a light gun game on any console, I think I was close to getting one just for Point Blank lol.

Uzzy

ARMA III Pilgrimage update, with more pictures!

So last time I ended up being chased into a small settlement by a hostile APC, and found an ever so helpful NPC who told me that my objective lay to the west. Very helpful, given I was currently standing on the eastern coast of Altis.

Anyway, I prepared to move out only to hear the terrible rumble of engines, and quickly spotted the APC heading up the road towards me. Still lacking any method of damaging the vehicle, I hid and let it past. This was quite fortuitous for me, as it opened up the route south, an opening I quickly took advantage of.

Along the way, I encountered two more hostiles. As they weren't aware of me, and as I now had a rifle, I managed to get the drop on them, making sure to take out the autorifleman first. Observation pays off! Looting them of ammo and first aid kits, I had to leave the Zafir 7.62mm Light Machine Gun behind, as my Katiba rifle is far more versatile. I quickly left the battle behind, encouraged somewhat by the sight of the APC coming back towards me.

So why even head south. Well, there are three villages, one airstrip and one abandoned military outpost down there, all rather close together. Even on foot it shouldn't take much time to explore them all, and I should be able to find a vehicle of some kind. Even a civilian vehicle would make my mission far easier, and having a vehicle is infact one of the requirements of completing the mission (you need one to transport your brother's body).

I make my way to a high point overlooking the first village on my walk, Panagia. It appears deserted, but that can easily be misleading.

I approach cautiously, which saves me from quite an untimely demise. The moment I start to come down from my overlooking position, I spot a patrol of 4 hostiles, walking along the road.. and I've got the drop on them. I consider leaving them be for a moment, but decide to take advantage of this opportunity, and open fire, dropping two of them before they even realise they're under attack. The survivors return fire, but I'm in a covered position, and they're out in the open. They don't last long. Upon looting their bodies, I find that one of them's an explosives expert, and carrying a number of mines, including a pair of anti-tank mines. Finally, something I can use against the APC. The team leader lacks intel on the location of my brother's body, but he does possess something very useful instead. The radio frequency the CSAT forces are using. Now I can listen in on their every move.

Caerith

Anyone looking to get Lightning Returns on Steam, wait until the mod community changes that god-awful Soldier of Peace outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom