• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

You can schedule reboots.

You can in theory. In practice Windows 10 will reboot by itself if you are not at your computer even if you have three dozen programs running actively. You have to re-schedule for every update individually and Windows 10 doesn't actively tell you when it has an update available that needs a reboot, it will only prompt when it's about to reboot/offering a re-scheduling option. Well, that's been my experience anyway. I'm at 4 forced reboots in two months against my will at the moment.

Still the worst feature in the whole OS. Spying and tracking, bleh, it's forced reboots that annoy me more than any of the other issues.

Granjinha

They said after working with NX. :p

Not really.

“For stationary consoles, we’ll focus on PlayStation 4. After, Nintendo’s new hardware, the NX. I would also like to start fully working on Steam.”

He only specifies "when" in stationary consoles.

He doesn't say when, just that he would like to start working on Steam. Which means they eventually will, probably.

Parsnip

You can in theory. In practice Windows 10 will reboot by itself if you are not at your computer even if you have three dozen programs running actively. You have to re-schedule for every update individually and Windows 10 doesn't actively tell you when it has an update available that needs a reboot, it will only prompt when it's about to reboot/offering a re-scheduling option. Well, that's been my experience anyway. I'm at 4 forced reboots in two months against my will at the moment.

Still the worst feature in the whole OS. Spying and tracking, bleh, it's forced reboots that annoy me more than any of the other issues.
I have set windows update to notify only through a group policy. Never downloads or installs anything behind my back, just tells me that hey, there are updates that you might be interested in and it's perfect.

It's such a shame that it's not an option that's available normally through the ui.

abracadaver

11y6klo.jpg

New record?

madjoki

I have set windows update to notify only through a group policy. Never downloads or installs anything behind my back, just tells me that hey, there are updates that you might be interested in.

But it only works on pro versions. (this isn't probably problem for most here)

11y6klo.jpg

New record?

There have been big, short lived spikes recently, where it went up to 10.6m then dropped down to 10.2m, shortly after. Without seeing the graph it's hard to say. I mean, it went up to 10.9m then dropped down more than a million. But how fast? It doesn't show up on Steam Charts graph. That currently shows 10.6m.

Kyougar

11y6klo.jpg

New record?

Yes, a week or so ago i was talking about when we will get 11 million (well it was 3 weeks ago *cough* )

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178640693&postcount=7777

Steam slow and sometimes down over the last weekend and here we are with a peak of 10,4+ Million users.

January 8,4
March 9 Million
May 9,5 Million
mid-June 10 Million

now we are cracking 10,5 Million The slow months are over. What would be the new peak in the Winter sale? 11 Million seems a given. Could we go to 12 Million?

All those Grandmas who got this malware installed by their grandchildren and dont know how to uninstall it!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Chairman's Response to The Escapist

UPDATE: The attached demand letter is our formal response to specific, slanderous allegations made in the recent The Escapist article on Star Citizen. Normally, we would keep this behind closed doors, but we felt it was imperative to put our statement on record and indicate how disgusted we are with The Escapist’s irresponsible actions. Corporate at Defy Media asked us to delay publication of this letter while investigating, but we feel strongly that the record needs to be set straight without further delay.

015-10-02-Demand-Let-Escapist_Exec.jpg
015-10-02-Demand-Let-Escapist_Exec-2.jpg
015-10-02-Demand-Let-Escapist_Exec-3.jpg
015-10-02-Demand-Let-Escapist_Exec-4.jpg
015-10-02-Demand-Let-Escapist_Exec-5.jpg

So, this Warhammer End Times Vermintide is basically a Left 4 Dead clone.
How didn't I know of this before? ...I guess because I don't really care about Warhammer. But I'm interested now.

Arthea

Zestiria picked up some steam (heh) the last few days, im pretty positive that its going to make it.

Its already at 57%. The rate has improved the closer it gets to release.

It will be fine.

damn optimists, you can't live without them, because they are everywhere, but you can't live with them too. You'll eat those words if it not gonna make it

I'm pretty sure it not gonna make it, bamco has to pretend it did, will they do that? IDK
I'm not even sure it's real, counter I mean. It probably isn't

Lomax

I expected Star Citizen to end up being a disappointment because they just seem to be trying to do way too much, but all this drama is weird. I guess Derek Smart has been involved in so many train wrecks that he knows one when he sees one.

MUnited83

For you.
damn optimists, you can't live without them, because they are everywhere, but you can't live with them too. You'll eat those words if it not gonna make it

I'm pretty sure it not gonna make it, bamco has to pretend it did, will they do that? IDK
Of course its real. The sales are picking up, like they would obviously do since the game is closer and closer to release.

Nothing against Zesteria in particular but I don't like pre-order goals.
They consistently have much better bonuses than regular preorders. I'm quite fine with it

Arthea

Of course its real. The sales are picking up, like they would obviously do since the game is closer and closer to release.

They consistently have much better bonuses than regular preorders. I'm quite fine with it

It's nowhere near close to release yet, I'm pretty sure (if that counter is real), that about a week ago it was adjusted.

Tizoc

Agreed, in my case I'd be getting it for $40 so 2 games for $40 is fine in my book :p

MUnited83

For you.
I expected Star Citizen to end up being a disappointment because they just seem to be trying to do way too much, but all this drama is weird. I guess Derek Smart has been involved in so many train wrecks that he knows one when he sees one.
O think you mean that he really wants it to be a trainwreck and will try his hardest to put RSI's name in the dirt. The pathetic bastard is clinging very hard to the tiny shred of relevance he has.

MUnited83

For you.
It's nowhere near close to release yet, I'm pretty sure (if that counter is real), that about a week ago it was adjusted.
It releases this month. In less than three weeks. Its pretty darn close, and obviously people are start to pick it up, especially when they see its one of the biggest releases this month. Nothing weird about, its picking up just like I said it would .

Path of Exile has reminded me why I lost interest in Torchlight 2. It's all about the atmosphere and satisfaction inherent to the gameplay. Path of Exile is one of those games that tries to be like something and absolutely nails it. (It just needs Uelman's music to be perfect.)

The PoE dev's ideas for advancing the genre are pretty cool, too, managing to work fine in spite of the free-to-play nature of the game. They focus everything on the loot--skills, currencies, even the skill tree. The updates they've made in the expansion have only furthered these concepts.

And, of course, the gigantic passive skill tree is still awesome.
Nothing against Zesteria in particular but I don't like pre-order goals.

What about enhanced pre-order goals?
They cancelled it.

Lomax

O think you mean that he really wants it to be a trainwreck and will try his hardest to put RSI's name in the dirt. The pathetic bastard is clinging very hard to the tiny shred of relevance he has.

I didn't put any credence into what Smart was saying or doing, he is the ultimate attention whore, I know that. But that doesn't mean he didn't sense blood in the water. And that article on The Escapist is pretty damning, and the "oh we're gonna sic our lawyers onto you because those employees are just disgruntled" response if anything seems to confirm it.

GaussTek

I was also thinking the same a few days ago lol. I think they will do something if it gets close enough to the target, so pre-orders go up like crazy haha

Regardless, I think I will do my part in the next few days, as the game is so damn cheap in the mexican store (and nope, I won't refund if it doesn't make it :p).

You should actually bother to take five minutes to look into the current status of the Escapist article and why it's been thoroughly debunked.

I don't understand why people who don't pay any attention to Star Citizen are so desperate for there to be something horribly wrong. Oh well.

dex3108

You should actually bother to take five minutes to look into the current status of the Escapist article and why it's been thoroughly debunked.

I don't understand why people who don't pay any attention to Star Citizen are so desperate for there to be something horribly wrong. Oh well.

giphy.gif

Turfster

Maybe it's broken? I checked leaderboards and even I'm not there despite completing most of levels.

There's two leaderboards: the one outside the game on the achievements page, which looks like the leaderboard from the EA period, and the in-game one, which has different values.

Also, you know:
Daily Crypt of the Necrodancer 50% off

I wasn't kidding derExperte =p

MUnited83

For you.
I didn't put any credence into what Smart was saying or doing, he is the ultimate attention whore, I know that. But that doesn't mean he didn't sense blood in the water. And that article on The Escapist is pretty damning, and the "oh we're gonna sic our lawyers onto you because those employees are just disgruntled" response if anything seems to confirm it.
Did you actually read the response? The "sources" were basically debunked.
And nah, Derek Smart didn't sense anything. He's been hating and badmouthing Robert for a fuckload of years. Nothing he says has any credibility. He's been a shit-stirrer that made up controversies and conspiracies since... Forever.

In regards to the Escapist thing, I'm of the mind that investigative journalism (in regards to the gaming industry) should always be encouraged. Developers and publishers get away with far too much shit, and are almost never taken to task until long after the point where it would be considered timely.

That being said, it doesn't sound like the magazine vetted these sources at all. Unlike some people on GAF, I'm aware that anonymous sources are sometimes a necessity to get more information for a story (but, like I said, they should never be the sole focus). But, they wouldn't have lost anything waiting for another day or two to hear back from Chris Roberts. I mean, I wouldn't have gone off a couple of phone calls alone. If I knew there were multiple sources corroborating the same account, I would have gone to the city in person and had a meeting with them, then verify them on-site.

The more I read about this, the more it sounds like they pushed this out to get clicks. You know you fucked up when a lawyer (who comes from a family of journalists) schools you on journalism ethics. He was absolutely right when he stated that the article came off as a hit piece, and the attempts by the beat reporter to justify her sources look worse and worse every time she posts.

Lomax

I don't see any evidence that the article has been "thoroughly debunked," but even if it has, it is eminently believable, which is the larger point. If everything was going perfectly great inside development, the game would be out by now and stories like this would get laughed off. All I'm saying about Star Citizen is exactly what I've been saying for three years now. They are trying to do too much. I don't care how much money they have, you can't make a game that is everything to everyone and have all of it be great. It's never been done, it never will be done. Something about that genre seems to make developers want to do too much, I've seen it too many times, and seen too many failures to just assume it can be done. Even "successes" like the new Elite are considered disappointments in many ways and didn't deliver everything they promised. If they release the best game ever made, great, and I think they are certainly capable of releasing something worthwhile. But the longer things have gone on, the weirder things have gotten, and the more drama seems to be showing up. That's not good evidence of destined success.

Granjinha

The game is now constantly in the first page of the Top Sellers. It's picking up.

Although, to be fair, today it had a pretty big drop.

ArjanN

As someone who has only played CSS, how does CSGO compare to it? I really like CSS but not a lot of people seem to play it still, so I've been thinking about trying out CSGO.

Basically the same thing but better.

Playing CSS now is sorta like playing vanilla Street Fighter 4 instead of Ultra.

There's no reason to play to CSS over CS:GO

The new Master of Orion won't have tactical combat or ship designing.

One of the reasons Keeling is confident that he and NGD will get this right is because they're not treating the original games' design as holy writ. He uses ship design and tactical battles as an example.

"I think that was a mistake made by some of these [later 4X] games," he said. "They thought that was a key feature that was going to bring a lot of people in. [But] you can only focus on so many things. If you focus on everything, it becomes too complex. It's unmanageable. Unwieldy. If you do a deep-dive on only a few things, they have to relate directly to what the player is doing. So while there are a lot of players that played tactical battles, there's not that many. It's about 10% of the players. So if you deep dive on that, you're wasting a lot of resources [that could have gone] to something that's really more important to the gameplay."

Just throw your hype meters on the ground, SteamGAF. It's over; the dream is dead.

tmarg

If everything was going perfectly great inside development, the game would be out by now and stories like this would get laughed off. All I'm saying about Star Citizen is exactly what I've been saying for three years now.

Given the frankly absurd scope of the game, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that the game should be out by now. Also, there is a massive jump from suggesting that development isnt progessing smoothly and alledging criminal activity.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Did you actually read the response? The "sources" were basically debunked.
And nah, Derek Smart didn't sense anything. He's been hating and badmouthing Robert for a fuckload of years. Nothing he says has any credibility. He's been a shit-stirrer that made up controversies and conspiracies since... Forever.

In regards to the Escapist thing, I'm of the mind that investigative journalism (in regards to the gaming industry) should always be encouraged. Developers and publishers get away with far too much shit, and are almost never taken to task until long after the point where it would be considered timely.

That being said, it doesn't sound like the magazine vetted these sources at all. Unlike some people on GAF, I'm aware that anonymous sources are sometimes a necessity to get more information for a story (but, like I said, they should never be the sole focus). But, they wouldn't have lost anything waiting for another day or two to hear back from Chris Roberts. I mean, I wouldn't have gone off a couple of phone calls alone. If I knew there were multiple sources corroborating the same account, I would have gone to the city in person and had a meeting with them, then verify them on-site.

The more I read about this, the more it sounds like they pushed this out to get clicks. You know you fucked up when a lawyer (who comes from a family of journalists) schools you on journalism ethics. He was absolutely right when he stated that the article came off as a hit piece, and the attempts by the beat reporter to justify her sources look worse and worse every time she posts.

I don't see any evidence that the article has been "thoroughly debunked," but even if it has, it is eminently believable, which is the larger point. If everything was going perfectly great inside development, the game would be out by now and stories like this would get laughed off. All I'm saying about Star Citizen is exactly what I've been saying for three years now. They are trying to do too much. I don't care how much money they have, you can't make a game that is everything to everyone and have all of it be great. It's never been done, it never will be done. Something about that genre seems to make developers want to do too much, I've seen it too many times, and seen too many failures to just assume it can be done. Even "successes" like the new Elite are considered disappointments in many ways and didn't deliver everything they promised. If they release the best game ever made, great, and I think they are certainly capable of releasing something worthwhile. But the longer things have gone on, the weirder things have gotten, and the more drama seems to be showing up. That's not good evidence of destined success.

Given the frankly absurd scope of the game, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that the game should be out by now. Also, there is a massive jump from suggesting that development isnt progessing smoothly and alledging criminal activity.

Why Star Citizen Is Taking So Long

I don't see any evidence that the article has been "thoroughly debunked," but even if it has, it is eminently believable, which is the larger point. If everything was going perfectly great inside development, the game would be out by now and stories like this would get laughed off.

It has nothing to do with whether the story is "believable". It has to do with whether it's truth or not. If it's the former, Roberts and co. are blustering and/or wouldn't have bothered to put out statements defending themselves in the first place. If it's the latter, the Escapist may be sued for libel.

Besides, games get delayed all the time. It's one thing to claim that a project had been delayed/subject to development hell because of competing egos, mismanagement or anything else in between. It's quite another to allege racism and inappropriate conduct, and never bother to give the alleged party a chance to respond until after you've already gone to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom