• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I didn't back Star Citizen because I don't care about that kind of game. I don't really follow Star Citizen news. All I do know is that every time it's brought up in this thread it's because one asshole or another is shitting on it (sometimes I don't mix metaphors). In the case of Derek Smart and other individuals it's chalkable to them being attention whores, trolls, and/or whatever, but in the case of the Escapist it looks like straight up libel.

Dsyndrome

Even if it's so, many people are like me, not interested in a game until it's finished. And as I imagine it, Star Citizen is very far from that, hence drama.

Although, isn't it basically one person that stirs it? forgot a name.

Derrick01

Ozium

• not bundled in a humble bundle
  • except for the "classics", which were

1331.gif

Arthea

So, more news about the humble monthly thing:
  • "around" 5 games
  • not bundled in a humble bundle
  • except for the "classics", which were

Still nope.

Around isn't saying much, 2 is around 5 even 1 is. And being not bundled before doesn't mean nobody has it, as HB seems to think.
It's like they have all advantages in this deal and customers have no say about anything, they can't even refuse to pay for a damn thing, cuz no paypal. It just can't work until they give some promises on paper, which they don't.

Even if it's so, many people are like me, not interested in a game until it's finished. And as I imagine it, Star Citizen is very far from that, hence drama.

Although, isn't it basically one person that stirs it? forgot a name.

I'm just correcting bad information about the game, a lot of people could be turned off of a great game by hearing people dismissively say it's a glorified ship ogling simulator or a future second life. It's got a lot of game there to play today, and even though it has had delays it's by no means a train wreck it's been sometimes made out to be.

And the guy you're thinking of is Derek Smart, he's the guy behind most if not all of the drama.

Durante

Presumably if you have 32gb of RAM, you won't even notice the leak because of scheduled update reboots happening every so often hahaha.
That would probably work, except the automatic reboots are the first thing I disabled :p
I really can't stand my computer restarting without my say-so.

Perhaps the memory leak is MS' way of forcing me to reboot?

$12 a month + around 5 games + some already bundled some not... I'm not sure what they are doing, you could get a arguably better deal by just buying the BTA bundle of the week. Get more games and probably the pay the same or less.

This entire thing is just a complete disaster. What were they thinking?

Since it's HB and not some random storefront, I'm going to wager they were thinking "how can we do something new and drum up more money for charity."

If they'd led with something I didn't own, I'd probably have set up a sub and wrote it off as $12 to charity every month. But as of right now, I already have Grimrock 2, so I'm waiting for something that piques my interest as an excuse to throw more money at charity.

Arthea

I want to make a future release STG thread, but I only want to have PC STGs... I know there is going to be some complaining.

who even uses STG? I have to think every time you post it, the heck that is. Why can't you just say SHMUPs like the rest of us?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Since it's HB and not some random storefront, I'm going to wager they were thinking "how can we do something new and drum up more money for charity."

If they'd led with something I didn't own, I'd probably have set up a sub and wrote it off as $12 to charity every month. But as of right now, I already have Grimrock 2, so I'm waiting for something that piques my interest as an excuse to throw more money at charity.

Wasnt it said that only 5% went to charity?

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I haven't looked too deeply into it, as I said above, but if it's anything like the Humble bundle/Humble Weekly/Humble EVERYTHING NOT IN THE STORE, it would be more like
$$$$$$$$$$$$ FOR CHARITY.

Humble stahp

$12 a month + around 5 games + some already bundled some not... I'm not sure what they are doing, you could get a arguably better deal by just buying the BTA bundle of the week. Get more games and probably the pay the same or less.

Jesus, y'all are some greedy/selfish motherfuckers.

Wasnt it said that only 5% went to charity?

I don't know, as I said -- I was operating under the assumption that it worked more like one of the bundles on a recurring monthly basis rather than like a store purchase where only a small portion went to charity. Personally, when I buy the bundles, I tweak the sliders to be 100% charity before I make the purchase. It may be as you say, I don't know -- if so, they probably need some changes to catch my interest.

Either way, most of my comments are still applicable. :p

who even uses STG? I have to think every time you post it, the heck that is. Why can't you just say SHMUPs like the rest of us?

PC STDs? No thanks.

Momentary

Banned

I say Shoot'em ups, Shmups, and STGs. It depends on how drunk I am. I think Shoot'em Ups is the best term and the most widely used on STEAM for tagging.

Arthea

I haven't looked too deeply into it, as I said above, but if it's anything like the Humble bundle/Humble Weekly/Humble EVERYTHING NOT IN THE STORE, it would be more like

you are probably being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, 5% goes to charity, so 60 cents, we can donate 60 cents without paying $12

Caerith

Only 5% (60 cents goes to charity)

Maybe. It's 5% of "proceeds" to charity, but they don't specify whether it's gross proceeds or net proceeds, and because they don't specify it's fair to assume it's net. So $12 minus paypal's fees, minus the publishers' cuts, minus humble's overheads, and then 5% of whatever's left. It's only 60 cents if it's gross, but it's more likely that paypal is seeing more money than charity on this.

Momentary

Banned
So the monthly bundle thing is seen a negative? I could be the guinea pig and try it out to see what the first batch of games are. Fuck man this Stone Ruination Double IPA is lighting my soul on fire.

Arthea

Maybe. It's 5% of "proceeds" to charity, but they don't specify whether it's gross proceeds or net proceeds, and because they don't specify it's fair to assume it's net. So $12 minus paypal's fees, minus the publishers' cuts, minus humble's overheads, and then 5% of whatever's left.

I haven't thought about that.... but you are probably right, except paypal fees, they don't let people use paypal, a credit card only and we all know why.

Is it really 5% or is it bullshit? Because I'm about to subscribe.

It's real, it's in their bundle description
In fact we don't know is it real, it could be way less than 5% as Caerith says, we don't know if it's 5% of what we pay

Just got through a few endings of Hatoful Boyfriend.

I have no idea what I've gotten myself into.

keep playing, trust me on this

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what the correct term is but my Spelunkalites, you know the feeling when you start at 1-1 and go all the way to 3-x where you die and then the game starts back at 1-1 and suddenly you get almost an urge to puke because you fell so far back again.

No I think I remember the correct term, pissed.

Just wait till you start dying on Olmec in (otherwise) successfull Speedlunky runs, I think I did that four or five times before nailing it for the first time xD

So you're going for the gold key shortcut now? Nice to see you making progress! That gold key twist is a pretty genious design, the game is basically telling you that you're almost mature enough in skill to start playing the game without shortcuts, and actively force you to start training on iron man runs

By the time you get the final short cut, you're probably at a point where you'll be better off going from 1-1 everytime, even though it's nice to have the opportunity to train exclusively on the temple ofc. I'm sure you are beginning to feel that the game is no longer so much about surviving each level, but getting the most out of each and every one of them :)

tmarg

Then why did they reduce the amount that gets donated and choose the stupid PayPal charity that is notoriously innefficient? A lot of businesses make charitable contributions, humble just advertises it more. Like every other business, humble's primary objective is to enrich their owners and investors. That's not a bad thing.

drakaenae

The first few batches are probably going to be worth the money so they attract more people to subscribe but its probably going to be worst after.

Caerith

So the monthly bundle thing is seen a negative? I could be the guinea pig and try it out to see what the first batch of games are. Fuck man this Stone Ruination Double IPA is lighting my soul on fire.
The first few batches will probably be decent to hook you, but the way it's set up has a lot of people getting out their 11-foot sticks.

I haven't thought about that.... but you are probably right, except paypal fees, they don't let people use paypal, a credit card only and we all know why.
Well, credit card fees are still going to be more than what charity gets.

Ozium

can you kindly stop your crusade against Hatoful Boyfriend? It's a good VN.
You could pick on Sakura games, for a change, just a suggestion

nah that would require him to learn more about hatoful boyfriend than hearsay from derrick01

derExperte

It's probably superfetch. Same thing was happening to me, once I disabled it the system kernel app no longer blows up over 1GB.

But the goal of Superfetch is to use as much memory as possible because why not? Less useful with SSDs but still useful. I don't know if it's something else happening to Durante but W10 in general also has some changes in memory management and might appear to use more, no need to worry unless the system is slowing down and programs are running out of memory.

can you kindly stop your crusade against Hatoful Boyfriend? It's a good VN.
You could pick on Sakura games, for a change, just a suggestion

I've played through a Sakura VN and I enjoyed it for what it was.
HB still has the distinction of being the only game removed from my 3300+ game library.

Dengeki Stryker... that was a good VN. Only one I've seen that doesn't focus on trying to date or have sex.

Eh. There's definitely dating and sex in that.
I wasn't really a fan -- I played through the main arc and was so irritated by the "superman stupidity" of the hero and the villains being everyday people living next to each other when not "transformed" or whatever that I just wanted to quit half the time. Too long and I didn't find any charm or humour in most of their setups.

Does Long Live the Queen count as a VN? It focuses on not dying.

It's got a lot of actual gameplay, doesn't it? Wouldn't that sort of go against the "visual novel" where the crux of player input is making mostly inconsequential choices?

999 and VLR have neither of those. Neither does Danganronpa.

Unfortunately, none of those are on Steam.

Never played 999, but played VLR. That was a mostly positive experience, even if some of the puzzles were just nuts -- and I think the puzzles themselves and the way things can unfold make it a little more complex than the basic "choose-your-own-adventure" type formula I've seen in most VNs.

Then why did they reduce the amount that gets donated and choose the stupid PayPal charity that is notoriously innefficient? A lot of businesses make charitable contributions, humble just advertises it more. Like every other business, humble's primary objective is to enrich their owners and investors. That's not a bad thing.

No clue. Like I said -- I saw the announcement and thought about it as "if I can give $12 a month to charity and get free games, sure." But when I saw the initial offer was for a game I already owned, it wasn't enough to prompt my charitable nature.

Usually I only shop through Humble Bundles (with an occasional store purchase when the sales are good), so my dealings with them have allowed 100% of my money to go toward charitable causes instead of paying humble or the developers. Since Humble Monthly sounds a hell of a lot like Humble Weekly, it followed that I should be able to adjust the sliders if I signed up... that assumption was wrong and gives me further pause before I will reconsider subscribing.

As far as their primary objective, I don't know if I totally agree -- otherwise the sliders for splitting the purchase amount to various parties probably wouldn't be a thing; most of their traffic/purchases probably still stems from people buying bundles, not from buying copies of games in the store, though I'm just taking a guess there (logic and all that). But yeah, they probably endeavor for their business to be successful overall, so they can keep operating and continuing to exist on a daily basis. :)

Jazz573

STG is what's used in Japan. It's short for Shooting, however they use the term for anything with shooting, so it's used for Shmups, FPSs and TPSs, and anything else I might have missed.

nah that would require him to learn more about hatoful boyfriend than hearsay from derrick01
.. or he played it and just didn't like it. Opinions and such.
Just wait till you start dying on Olmec in (otherwise) successfull Speedlunky runs, I think I did that four or five times before nailing it for the first time xD

So you're going for the gold key shortcut now? Nice to see you making progress! That gold key twist is a pretty genious design, the game is basically telling you that you're almost mature enough in skill to start playing the game without shortcuts, and actively force you to start training on iron man runs
Yes, trying to get the key shortcut. Brought it to World 2 so far ;_; but it's actually like you say. All items needed so far are from World 1 (shotgun). It really is a great design choice to teach "perfect" runs.
By the time you get the final short cut, you're probably at a point where you'll be better off going from 1-1 everytime, even though it's nice to have the opportunity to train exclusively on the temple ofc. I'm sure you are beginning to feel that the game is no longer so much about surviving each level, but getting the most out of each and every one of them :)
Dang, I swear I was thinking the same just today when I kept reaching World 4 more regularly. Previously the runs I got furthest were the ones I got lucky while extreme speedrunning through levels but since lately, I actually "play" with the game instead of just surviving lol. Learning which loot is worth spending time, bombs, ropes to get, which ones to avoid, which enemies to tackle, which to run away. I even plan on getting 2-3 crates in World 1 and buy stuff from vendors. It's a lot more strategic on my part these days. I am learning, I am advancing!
I am sucking!

Caerith

It's got a lot of actual gameplay, doesn't it? Wouldn't that sort of go against the "visual novel" where the crux of player input is making mostly inconsequential choices?
I think it depends on how you're defining a visual novel, but it was made in Ren'Py so close enough.

Grief.exe

I won't lie, I didn't backed up Star Citizen because it seemed like a tad too ambitious game. Of course it will take ages to finish, did anyone actually believed otherwise?
I didn't follow this drama too closely, because I don't really see what people can say about a game until 2017-18 and even that would be optimistic.

Star Citizen had a huge issue with Kickstarter feature creep during the campaign.

I backed it, check in on the development every so often and they always seem to be making relatively substantial progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom