• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
I gave this a thought and I have to say that I really don't like Twitch or youtube having any weight in this.
Then again I'm probably in minority.
I needed some kind of social metric (people are talking about this game) and YT + Twitch were the easiest ones to use. Facebook + Twitter might be as useful, but they're way more complicated for my purposes.

Devil's Bluff SOUNDS interesting, but requiring 12 people means it will be impossible to play in a few months, unless they release it for free.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Interesting, thanks.

I am not sure this can be called "trending" - that's perhaps too absolute a term. You say it "wasn't possible" to get the list working based on Steam data alone, and it started working after you added YT+Twitch. But herein lies the rub - how could you tell that things were working vs not working? Perhaps you were simply unconsciously comparing the results you were getting to what you felt they should be like and those expectations you had were largely formed by YT+Twitch. Obviously, once you plugged YT+Twitch directly, it started seeming "alright", but whether this could be called "trending", I don't know... it's just "trending on YT+Twitch", I guess.

Now, don't get me wrong, it is plenty useful and interesting as it is, thanks for doing it.

Here are the goals I've set for my discovery algorithm.

1. It should display good games that are liked by influencers or press, but didn't sell very well (yet).
2. It should display engaging games and should be immune against user score bombing.
3. It should give new games priority.
4. It should display games of different genres, not focusing on most engaging ones (survivalcrafts for example).

The previous version didn't pass rules #1 and #2. The YT+Twitch version doesn't pass #3 and #4. But when all metrics are combined it seems to work better than when it is relying on separate metrics.

BTW, all data is normalized by percentiles, so outliers do not affect overall results for everyone else much.

Deques

If you into 100% Achievements, there is one of them only obtainable if you buy in the EA

Seems that many people just started the game and never bought a car
6ik9iIc.png

aw350

Banned
Here are the goals I've set for my discovery algorithm.

1. It should display good games that are liked by influencers or press, but didn't sell very well (yet).
2. It should display engaging games and should be immune against user score bombing.
3. It should give new games priority.
4. It should display games of different genres, not focusing on most engaging ones (survivalcrafts for example).

The previous version didn't pass rules #1 and #2. The YT+Twitch version doesn't pass #3 and #4. But when all metrics are combined it seems to work better than when it is relying on separate metrics.

BTW, all data is normalized by percentiles, so outliers do not affect overall results for everyone else much.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I guess #1 and #2 are hardest to get, but YT+Twitch probably give a useful start / approximation (besides, what else do we have that is reasonably measurable and up to date). The system makes sense.

GKB

ya, it's on my wishlist, not buying until it's out of EA, unless some awesome winter sale discount

Is it a principle thing?

Also another info, the developer increases the price as they add more content. There are 2 updates left, one in October and the final update will be in November. After that the game will be full-priced.

Honestly if you like rally, buying before release would probably be a better option. It's the best rally sim in ages.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Star Wars Battlefront PC specs confirmed

Too Hoth to handle?

Minimum PC System Requirements:

• Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
  • Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
  • DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Recommended PC System Requirements:

• Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600 or equivalent
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Nabs

So I've made some changes to Steam Spy front page to make it as useful as Steam's old front page before the Discovery update.

I'm weighing six metrics for the last 600 games that were released on Steam to come up with "trend score" that is later used to determine the game position in the list on the front page. It looks like this.

WUQ6xiV.png

I'm using Youtube views, Twitch viewers, user score, median playtime, players in the last week and the release date. Overall you could divide them into three set of metrics: social (YT + Twitch), player engagement (user score + playtime) and commercial (players and release date).

I've tried to come up with this before based on Steam's data alone, but it just wasn't possible. The Steam data isn't enough to rank games - I needed social metrics and YT+Twitch are pretty good for this.

Fun fact - if I remove commercial metrics (players in the last two weeks) the list won't change much :)

Consider it my Discovery update for Valve's Discovery update :)

Awesome.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like Siege and Syndicate are going to be bundled with Geforce

probably uplay key :(
Dammit, I bought my GTX 980 last month and didn't came with anything :/

I wouldm't have wanted AC anyway, but I could have traded it with a friend for a Burger King Whopper or something like that.

Uzzy

Woke up this morning with a feeling that Juri would get announced for SFV sometime soon. It's the hope that's the real pain.

Tizoc

Ooof these TF Devastation boss fights are tough, gonna be interesting to see how well I do on higher difficulties, if these Rank C and D items are this strong wonder what A and B ar elike @o@

quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a video game

You mean AWESOME
DOUBLE CHAINSWORDS!

Will get that dlc when it goes on sale.

Ooof these TF Devastation boss fights are tough, gonna be interesting to see how well I do on higher difficulties, if these Rank C and D items are this strong wonder what A and B ar elike @o@

So how is TF? It looks interesting but man, Korra was a pile of poop.

So I've made some changes to Steam Spy front page to make it as useful as Steam's old front page before the Discovery update.

I'm weighing six metrics for the last 600 games that were released on Steam to come up with "trend score" that is later used to determine the game position in the list on the front page. It looks like this.

WUQ6xiV.png

I'm using Youtube views, Twitch viewers, user score, median playtime, players in the last week and the release date. Overall you could divide them into three set of metrics: social (YT + Twitch), player engagement (user score + playtime) and commercial (players and release date).

I've tried to come up with this before based on Steam's data alone, but it just wasn't possible. The Steam data isn't enough to rank games - I needed social metrics and YT+Twitch are pretty good for this.

Fun fact - if I remove commercial metrics (players in the last two weeks) the list won't change much :)

Consider it my Discovery update for Valve's Discovery update :)
Pretty awesome work.
lashman
Not a bot, just clammed up
lashman
half man, half bot
Really interested in how "single-player" will be. Not that much in the PvP aspect.
Thanks to Veggie getting me back into Spelunky, I finally got the Big Money Trophy and made it to Hell (for the first and second time).

My inexperience with the enemies of Hell didn't work out so well for me when I tried to hop on the Devil's head with my spike boots. :\
That's a nice amount of gold right there. Glad to see I have some good influence on you :p
Hell awaits.
Time to watch some guide videos...

But Uplay is all sexy now with it's 'We're not trying to copy Steam, honest' makeover it got recently.

CsSPjAP.png

Just look at all those Collect-a-thon games!

the sexy.

My play through of the Assassin's Creed games is annoying because I don't have the series on any one platform.

Steam:
Assassin's Creed

Steam and Uplay
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Just Uplay
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed III

Vita:
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

WiiU and Xbox One
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

Just Xbox One:
Assassin's Creed: Unity

Tizoc

How is the game? It's been sitting in my cart for a few days and I'm still on the fence.
You mean Samurai Warriors 4-2? It's the usual musou fare, my lappy runs it fine and the graphics are OK, there is A LOT to unlock and upgrade, and stages have some decent side missions.
Overall if you enjoy Musou games, you'll like this one.
One gripe I have atm is that in order to 'move faster' through a stage you must call your horse. Not a big issue but your attacks while riding a horse is reduced so you don't exactly kill many enemies while riding on the thing xp

So how is TF? It looks interesting but man, Korra was a pile of poop.

Here's a review from Metro.co.uk
http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/06/transformers-devastation-review-bayonetta-in-disguise-5423610/

I'm enjoying it, there may not be a lot of combo options, although your attacks are based on the melee weapon you've equipped, but dodging attacks is pretty fun and makes you feel untouchable, especially if you do it constantly against the Combiner boss xp
Grimlock is a pretty heavy guy though and his Dino form takes some getting used to.

If you want that trademark Platinum games action like in Bayo or MG Rising you'll find it here.

Tizoc
Memb-
(Today, 02:18 PM)

You "leveled up"? No more Junior Memb- !
Guess you can now make all those threads you always wanted to lol

True dat!

r3n4ud

Here's a review from Metro.co.uk
http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/06/transformers-devastation-review-bayonetta-in-disguise-5423610/

I'm enjoying it, there may not be a lot of combo options, although your attacks are based on the melee weapon you've equipped, but dodging attacks is pretty fun and makes you feel untouchable, especially if you do it constantly against the Combiner boss xp
Grimlock is a pretty heavy guy though and his Dino form takes some getting used to.

If you want that trademark Platinum games action like in Bayo or MG Rising you'll find it here.

Sorry man, was referring to Samurai Warriors :/

But thanks though! Interested in TD as well :)

Edit: you beat me to it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom