• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I recently played Sleeping Doggos for the first time, too. A sequel developed by United Front Games could have been great, it's a shame they're closing down. I hope that most of the people who worked there aren't out of jobs for too long.

I recently played Sleeping Doggos for the first time, too. A sequel developed by United Front Games could have been great, it's a shame they're closing down. I hope that most of the people who worked there aren't out of jobs for too long.

If any game deserved a sequel to clean up and improve on itself, it was Sleeping Dogs, such a damn shame.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If any game deserved a sequel to clean up and improve on itself, it was Sleeping Dogs, such a damn shame.

Yeah, the base game was great. A sequel that polished everything up, diversified side missions, and worked on a more cohesive story would have been fantastic.

Maybe we'll get a spiritual sequel from some of the people who worked on the game at some point.

Yeah, the base game was great. A sequel that polished everything up, diversified side missions, and worked on a more cohesive story would have been fantastic.

Maybe we'll get a spiritual sequel from some of the people who worked on the game at some point.

A spiritual successor to Sleeping Dogs, the spiritual successor of True Crime: Hong Kong, I can dig it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Stronghammer22, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Huntsman -- MB-AF7915E053C4BD37
Corporate Lifestyle Simulator -- MB-942D054AD1C67252 - Taken by fuzzy123
I probably shouldn't have bothered with that bundle, but enjoy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-50BF95936B3D6D5A - Taken by Saty

Saty

Raw Data interview: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-17-vr-wont-be-to-games-what-3d-was-to-movies-survios
That $1 million in revenues, however, brings up the million-dollar question: When $1 million represents the peak of success, how can VR developers actually make a living in this VR ecosystem?

"It's a very valid question. The short answer is that it's not enough to sustain a studio over a long period," Chris Hewish, head of studio at Survios tells me bluntly.

Survios is in the enviable position of having raised $4 million from Shasta Ventures a couple years ago, when the studio was working on Project Holodeck. Without that money, working towards AAA on VR platforms like HTC Vive would be infinitely harder. That said, with claims of an attach rate of more than 20% for Raw Data, Survios believes it's in a prime position to thrive in a AAA VR market as the installed base grows.

"The attach rate that we've had to the installed base, if we look 12 months down the road, 18 months down the road, where we believe the installed base will be, if the attach rate is even a fraction of what we currently have then we have a very sustainable business," Hewish says.

So ~165,000 Vive headsets out there?

Deques

Currently culling my library. Down from 2000 to 1600 and ultimately I'd like to have less than1000 games tied to my account. Feels good.

Looks like I am not alone doing this. I have removed around 150 games since yesterday, all crap bundle games that I will never play. I had 2300 games before starting removing games
My crazy-crap-bundle-buying-era is over

Hektor

UFG is dead? What a shame. Sleeping Doggos was better than GTAV. Fight me.

All we need are signatures.

8)

I agree.

Send from my Samsung Galaxy A5 2016

_______

My Rig:
Intel I5-4590K
Nvidia Geforce GTX970
Asrock Fatality Z97
16GB Ram
2x 1TB HDD

~~~ Smile honest or die try'in ~~~

Griffith is my Husbando (´・ω・`)

#NotAllAnimeAvatars

Currently playing: Shadow Warrior 2

http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-misses..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Valve has now issued a response to the Washington State Gambling Commission's call for action on the matter of CS:GO skin gambling, saying that it does not "facilitate" gambling through Steam, and that "there is no factual or legal support for these accusations." The company said it is "surprised and disappointed" that the WSGC has chosen to pursue the matter publicly, but added that it has taken steps to discourage skin gambling on third-party websites, and is "open to further cooperation with the Commission."

In the firm but amicable letter, Valve's legal counsel notes that the company has no business relationship with gambling sites, does not promote them, and does not earn any revenues through them. These sites take advantage of two well-used Steam services in order to operate: the ability to purchase and trade skins, and the "ubiquitous" OpenID system of authentication that "allows a Steam customer to identify himself on a third-party website by association with his Steam account, without having to give his Steam credentials to the third party site."

"We do not want to turn off the Steam services, described above, that skin gambling sites have taken advantage of," Valve's response letter says. "In-game items, Steam trading, and OpenID have substantial benefits for Steam customers and Steam game-making partners. We do not believe it is the Commission’s intention, nor is it within the Commission's authority, to turn off lawful commercial and communication services that are not directed to gambling in Washington."

Despite expressing doubt that it is in fact breaking any laws in the first place—"If there is a specific criminal statute or regulation you believe Valve is violating, please provide a citation," the letter says—Valve points out that it has already taken action against more than 40 skin gambling sites so far, first with cease-and-desist letters, and then by shutting down their Steam accounts. In the eyes of Valve's lawyer, though, it isn't realistic to expect Valve to hunt down every item-trading bot created by these websites. "Cleverly designed bots can be indistinguishable from real users," reads the response, "and their methods and techniques are constantly evolving."

"Valve can enforce its user agreements against the Steam accounts of skins gambling sites, where we can identify the site and identify the corresponding account. In fact, we would be happy to cooperate with the Commission, if it is able to identity more skins gambling sites that are illegal in Washington and the Steam accounts through which [they] operate," the letter says. "We welcome the change for further communication with the Commission, if it would like to clarify the legal allegations against Valve, or alternatively to work with Valve to identify offending Steam accounts of gambling sites."

On an unrelated but interesting note, the letter also confirms that Valve's employee headcount is "approximately 360." This is the first updated measure of Valve's size that we've seen in years: Wikipedia lists it as having about 330 employees, but that's based on data from 2013.

Knurek

Good, I'm more than ready for VR to be the next big dead tech thing.

Expected, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

121731-bold-strategy-cotton-meme-imgu-wLno.png

Is there a way to reset your steam 2 weeks time played numbers so I don't look crazy to my friends who don't know what idling is? 252 hours played, lol.

Ludens

Banned
Did anyone play Dex here?
How long/hard is the game?
I only have this and Soul Axiom on my hdd to play at the moment, but I wanna go with a relative easy game with no much brain involved.

Corpekata

Banned
So, RDR Online is confirmed?

That's a good news for PC gamers, at least. There's no way they're skipping PC for an Online game.

I think the Online part is likely just the name for the online mode, like how GTAV has GTA Online, and we know that game didn't launch on PC.

Wok

Shenzhen I/O is super good. It is TIS-100 with better graphics, better narrative (through an email client), and improved gameplay (you get to choose which "box" you want to write code in, and you get to arrange them in a constrained space with wires going everywhere). It took me some time to have the courage to go through the 40+ pages of manual, but it was all worth it.

Knurek

Don't care as long as Win32 version and cloud reader still exist.

Of course.
I'm just happy since they obviously were so on the UWP bandwagon, coming even so far as to actively disparaging users from using the Win32 version before.
How the tides have changed for the 'amazing' future MS had in store for us. Can't wait for further UWP exclusives to jump ship to Steam.

Wok

1h30 before the next Rockstar tease. Imagine if we get a stealth release of Red Dead Redemption on Steam this week.

Uzzy

Brexit simulated in Football Manager 2017.

Brexit_FM17_Big_Changes1-large_trans++CVUZkBwq4EHTAw0uDHH_62yv4h7Y-dqhV4mSI8uj9gA.jpg

While the rest of the world waits to see how the government approaches the triggering of Article 50, Jacobson and his team have built a Brexit simulator into this year’s game, which models some of the consequences of the UK leaving Europe.

The world outside football is not something that had previously been incorporated into Football Manager, a game so comprehensive that some clubs are now using it as a resource to help scout players. But Brexit, says Jacobson, was too big to be left out: “We usually try and keep politics out of the game because nobody wants it rammed down their throat.

“But we were left with an interesting situation this year when the people of Britain voted to leave the EU and it wouldn’t have felt right to leave that out. It’s something we had to reflect in the game.

“So we sat down with the research guys and started to plan how we might put it in.” This was trickier job than expected. The consequences of leaving the EU for sport could be widespread and Jacobson has had to establish what exactly might happen.

In-game, players of Football Manager 2017 will be alerted at some point between two and 10 years in that trade negotiations have begun, and a year later a news bulletin will detail the extent of Brexit. There are three main scenarios:

1. Soft Brexit - free movement of workers remains.
2. Footballers are granted the same special exemptions that are currently given to ‘entertainers’. This means it is easier for them to obtain work permits than other people, and it will not have a huge impact on player movement from the EU.
3. Hard Brexit: similar rules to those which currently apply to non-EU players are adopted for all non-UK players.

It is this third option that would see the biggest effect on gameplay.

Looks very in depth, really impressive stuff to be honest, especially in a bloody football game. But Football Manager has been the best simulator around for quite some time, so it's not really a surprise to see them attempt to simulate something like this, with all the huge ramifications for football.

Arthea

I'll take Mobius, I've heard it's actually good

but don't you dare SE not release WoFF, don't you dare

Maybe now I'll be able to get some of the achievements I have left. Still have nightmares with trying to get to week 10 in Tokyo...

I don't know... I feel I got my money worth already, but those left cheevos are nagging at me a little

Rolled back already, reports of crashes.

wait for real? That was fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom