• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Look at Sega sitting on all those PC ports.
Look at Microsoft staying by WinStore.
Look at EA not releasing their games on Steam (even a year after Origin release).
Look at Ubisoft making Ubi Kiev port games to PC, fuckup after fuckup after fuckup.
Look at THQ and uDraw.

Game publishers are just run by morons.

Except game publishers make decisions every day based on real numbers and data and research, numbers they basically never share with us. To presume that EA just somehow completely doesn't understand what does and doesn't make them money is foolish.

Yes, they make bad choices, but things like the uDraw are exactly why they are risk adverse. It's easy to armchair quarterback these decisions, and yet almost everyone in this thread still drastically overestimates just how much profit some of those things would really be. A million sales over a couple of years of a $20 game that has been discounted regularly is less revenue than Battlefield 1 made in an hour. Which is why smaller projects and mid-range stuff, especially on pc but even on console, is basically dead now outside of the indie sphere. It's the same thing that has happened to the movie industry. Chasing the next huge thing is far too tempting.

Ludens

Banned
Look at Sega sitting on all those PC ports.
Look at Microsoft staying by WinStore.
Look at EA not releasing their games on Steam (even a year after Origin release).
Look at Ubisoft making Ubi Kiev port games to PC, fuckup after fuckup after fuckup.
Look at THQ and uDraw.

Game publishers are just run by morons.

Konami with MGS and Silent Hill titles (the good ones, already with a PC port available)...

MUnited83

For you.
Except game publishers make decisions every day based on real numbers and data and research, numbers they basically never share with us. To presume that EA just somehow completely doesn't understand what does and doesn't make them money is foolish.

Yes, they make bad choices, but things like the uDraw are exactly why they are risk adverse. It's easy to armchair quarterback these decisions, and yet almost everyone in this thread still drastically overestimates just how much profit some of those things would really be. A million sales over a couple of years of a $20 game that has been discounted regularly is less revenue than Battlefield 1 made in an hour. Which is why smaller projects and mid-range stuff, especially on pc but even on console, is basically dead now outside of the indie sphere. It's the same thing that has happened to the movie industry. Chasing the next huge thing is far too tempting.

Nah, EA really has no idea what they're doing. Anything that isn't a numbered Battlefield bombs. At this point they're just keeping Origin out of misguided pride and hope it will become relevant one day.

PC gaming is the best it's been, I have more games to play, that I genuinely want to play, now than I ever have in my life. It's kind of hard for me to get actually bummed out non-jokingly when a game isn't announced for PC because I know there will be dozens of other cool games to take it's place that will be just as great.

Wok

guys

two weeks until owlboy comes out

its happening

A game that could actually change my GOTY list by popping another one out. So far, something like:
  1. The Witness
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. Ghost 1.0
These 3 have found their place for sure. I have not spent enough time playing the other bunch of games that I have started and yet to finish.

Strong contenders include Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Shenzhen I/O. And maybe... Slayaway Camp and Orwell (which I have bought after playing the demo).

Are you doing singleplayer or what? I remember the only thing in ARMA 2 that stuck with me was doing the mass scale "co-op" where you're just like 60 people in the giant open map and there were just random missions and militants popping up literally miles apart, only reason it wasnt amazing is because the down time was huge because you'd have to wait for a guy to fly you to the hot zone.
Haven't touched the multuplayer so far. Planned on replaying the campaign maybe and do the schowcases.

100% in resident evil 4. gonna try and wait for a sale before getting the other versions.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend a similarly good third-person shooter? Not interested in max payne or tomb raiders or anything commercial. the last good one I played was binary domain.

looking at alpha protocol and cold fear

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Don't worry guys. I'm sure the community will focus on 360 emulation just as soon as they get original Xbox emulation perfect.

Then you can play the best version of RDR!

Nillansan

Since then I have graduated and im actually playing video games so here here I guess

Great, more participation from the rest of GAF is a welcome thing. This thread has been pretty slow going and the attachment rate from the various Steam Sales threads doesn't seem that impressive either.

Wok

Guys, I have just noticed that I am not connected through https to GAF and Steam? Has it always been the case?

For Steam Community and Humble Store, it is https.

Have been playing a bit of TIS-100, after I realized that I already owned it. Very fun game with a neat little story-line, though it is essentially just assembly programming, something that I hadn't really worked with before. Unfortunately, Zachtronic games also make sure that you feel like the class dunce:

t6oz9BP.jpg

My last solution is an abomination of crisscrossing control-flow, but solves the problem in 872 cycles.

I'm just missing one puzzle (list sorting) in the first of two set, which is the set with a story built in, and then I think I'll take a short break from this game.

Guys, I have just noticed that I am not connected through https to GAF and Steam? Has it always been the case?

For Steam Community and Humble Store, it is https.
GAF tried enabling https not too long ago, but it seems like they've run into problems, since it was turned off again. The Steam store has not been https as long as I can recall, except when you do a checkout.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Thumper, a serious challenger to DOOM for game of the year!

I have never in my life been so glad to own a 144Hz monitor

Grief.exe

Wasn't the Factorio or Rimworld developer saying the same thing last year?

Why don’t you at least give Steam keys, or promise them to your itch.io customers when the game is released on Steam?

Valve has specifically requested that we not do this. Giving or promising Steam keys for a game not currently being distributed on Steam would be a violation of Steam’s terms of service.

http://avencolony.com/aven-colony-faq/

Anustart

While I didn't get the 1070, this 1060 is such a massive bump over my 760 I had still.

Witcher 3 is a treat on this thing. Gonna give doom a whirl tonight and see how it is.

patapuf

Color me surprised to hear BF1's campaign is apparently good.

I haven't played a ton of it but while the storytelling seems surprisingly decent, and it looks great, there was a lot of braindead AI dudes running towards you in order to get shot.

comming fresh from doom... i was not impressed. Different games of course, but still. The multi is good though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Color me surprised to hear BF1's campaign is apparently good.

Lost interest in the video when he criticized the supposed industry bias towards American soldiers/the American marine attitude in shooters.

I went through my FPS selection and 40/68 can in no way shape or form be put under that umbrella. Another 5-10 are arguable. It's mostly COD left and I own literally all of them. It comes off as a very lazy critique to prop up BF1.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
please tell me how you fingers got past level 5 without falling off

No idea, I just got in the zone. I transcended myself, I became un autre. But for real, people in the OT are already S ranking this motherfucker 😂

KingKong

No idea, I just got in the zone. I transcended myself, I became un autre. But for real, people in the OT are already S ranking this motherfucker 😂

S Ranking by itself shouldnt be too hard if you can beat the levels since you can restart at the checkpoints. I'd be more interested in high scores where people fly almost all the way

Wok

After Desktop GAF was down on Thursday, and then Dyn DNS was down yesterday, which made sites like Twitter unavailable, I have been reading about it. It seems that these kinds of attack will be more and more used for censorship and blackmailing. Not only are these attacks more and more powerful with the Internet of Things, but they are also getting easier to set up with open-source software. I fear we will see some dark days for Steam... and for DRM-protected games using Denuvo.

“If you will not pay in time, DDoS attack will start, your web-services will
go down permanently. After that, price to stop will be increased to 5 BTC
with further increment of 5 BTC for every day of attack.

NOTE, i?m not joking.

My attack are extremely powerful now – now average 700-800Gbps, sometimes over 1 Tbps per second. It will pass any remote protections, no current protection systems can help.”

I can imagine that Valve and Denuvo are getting these kinds of threat on a regular basis.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bonsai -- MB-FD1183AE61FED004 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune Collector's Edition -- MB-ACEF2A4CE0708D01 - Taken by neonglow
CONTASION 2 -- MB-4857ECF19D8A3BB8 - Taken by bobnowhere
Namariel Legends: Iron Lord Premium Edition -- MB-39C77DECEF0F060D - Taken by Diedac
Pixel Puzzles 2: Birds -- MB-8B8F78907B4CB75D - Taken by madjoki
Between Me and The Night -- MB-BE4A010FE1AB1179 - Taken by Kifimbo
xheRJRF.gif
One Day For Ched -- MB-812F92D3E24C6314 - Taken by Vuze
Militia -- MB-AA5F2FBCDA9FC6CB - Taken by Saty
Darkout -- MB-893CA0DA5A9AAEE3 - Taken by Hakkelus

fantomena

Just finished Gears 4s campaign with all it's achievements (insane difficulty, collectibles et.). It was an enjoyable, but short campaign. I still think Gears 2 is the best Gears imo.

However, the port it self was absolutely amazing.

Don't think I will play it much more. Never really liked Gears MP, but I might play some Horde.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How often are you guys updating your drivers?

I ask because I used the latest MSI 1070 drivers from their website. Then, today the Nvidia Updater asked me to update my drivers so I did - thought getting the latest was always best.

I think this is affecting performance in Forza 3 a touch (i could be paranoid)- should I be using the latest drivers posted to my manufacturer's website or trust the built-in updater?

How often are you guys updating your drivers?

I ask because I used the latest MSI 1070 drivers from their website. Then, today the Nvidia Updater asked me to update my drivers so I did - thought getting the latest was always best.

I think this is affecting performance in Forza 3 a touch (i could be paranoid)- should I be using the latest drivers posted to my manufacturer's website or trust the built-in updater?

Historically, I've found the drivers from the updaters to be fine. The exception is that my current AMD drivers won't let me play Doom on Vulkan.

Corpekata

Banned
Don't get GPU drivers off manufacturer websites, just get them straight from Nvidia.

As far as update, I typically just get the latest, particularly if they are focused on games I'm buying. Like the latest one is for BF1 and Civ 6. Can always roll back if needed.

Jimrpg

Being a budget gamer all my life; it's either what I can run on minimum specs and what I want to play.

Though, nowadays, even with this last gen gaming laptop. I can do everything.

That's one thing many people are unaware of that a budget $500 PC can run pretty much everything on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom