• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, that reminds me... the original Mount&Blade is the first digital game I ever bought, and the first "Early Access" one, too.
I still miss Zendar.

What a journey it has been.

Tizoc

Im curious if Ghostlight will release/port Samurai Western? It's a spin off of Way of the Samurai series which was published by Atlus back in the PS2 era
732kDYX.jpg

Jawmuncher

Bon Appetite is not worth 30 bucks even with all the DLC. I have it on vita. You play the same repetitive tracks and the gameplay is low tier for a rhythm game. It become monotonous after just two story modes.

$14.99 should be its price.

Since all the DLC is just cosmetic items and the other girl academy which doesn't add anything to the overall game but more short stories.

The Witcher 3 continues to grow on me. What a well-made video game. The voice acting and writing is so on point that I actually care about the outcome of the quests. I was upset for several hours last night because I fucked up and made the wrong choice in that Fyke Isle magic lamp quest. Reading the character entry for Anabelle afterward made me realize the magnitude of my fuckup (spoiler:
she spreads the plague across the entire kingdom and eventually causes its downfall
). The signs were all there yet I still got played like a fool! Man I was pissed.

At least I got to bang Keira Metz afterward. I'm pretty sure that's the first sex scene I've ever seen in a video game. It certainly was... something.
It's actually possible to persuade her to give up her plan, I did it the first time. I remember many people in the OT complained that
they failed the speech battle and they were forced to kill her

Speaking of Civ experiences, I've found it a lot harder to go back to Civ once I started playing grand strategy games. CK2 gives me the roleplaying element I always wanted Civ to have, EU4 gives the cold, by-the-numbers annexation of the world, and Stellaris gives me the modding Civ experience It's actually really weird because I generally prefer turn-based games to real-time stuff, but I guess Paradox's games are pausable enough that it doesn't feel that different.
It's actually possible to persuade her to give up her plan, I did it the first time. I remember many people in the OT complained that
they failed the speech battle and they were forced to kill her

I didn't know you could... uh... well, shoot. :(

Man. The Witcher series is great at nuanced quest design, in terms of choice & consequence. Too many games fall entirely into binary "lawful good / selfish evil" pigeonholes that make dialog a chore. TW, meanwhile, brings storylines to the table that punish naive heroics or downright shortsightedness, while still not being afraid to offer some humour, fun, or downright badassary on occasion.

I keep hoping Bioware will take notice of how it's done. (I've been left wanting for several years now.)

Speaking of Civ experiences, I've found it a lot harder to go back to Civ once I started playing grand strategy games. CK2 gives me the roleplaying element I always wanted Civ to have, EU4 gives the cold, by-the-numbers annexation of the world, and Stellaris gives me the modding Civ experience It's actually really weird because I generally prefer turn-based games to real-time stuff, but I guess Paradox's games are pausable enough that it doesn't feel that different.

I didn't know you could... uh... well, shoot. :(

Man. The Witcher series is great at nuanced quest design, in terms of choice & consequence. Too many games fall entirely into binary "lawful good / selfish evil" pigeonholes that make dialog a chore. TW, meanwhile, brings storylines to the table that punish naive heroics or downright shortsightedness, while still not being afraid to offer some humour, fun, or downright badassary on occasion.

I keep hoping Bioware will take notice of how it's done. (I've been left wanting for several years now.)
There are side quests that, if you blindly followed the objectives (quest givers lied or were misinformed ), you would miss the actual story of said quests.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, mark my words.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am not sure what to expect honestly. You might be right given that both Sony and Microsoft seems to go with the small incremental upgrade route. With Xbox Scorpio and the PS4 Pro right around the corner the next iterations might not be far off. I do hope that Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out before that though.

I've mentioned this before, but I think the PS4 Pro and Scorpio mark the beginning of the console arms race condensing into a game of leapfrog. Nintendo will continue its idiosyncratic approach of indulging hit-or-miss whims, but I expect Sony to one-up Scorpio in 2018 and Microsoft to respond in kind in 2019, and so on until consumers get sick of it.

How do I download the 25th anniversary soundtrack for Civ VI? I bought the base game yesterday but redeemed the code for the deluxe pack and soundtrack today so I had already downloaded the game before the DLC showed up in my library.

It should have begun downloading shortly after you redeemed the key, but if not just untick then tick the OST in the DLC list (right-click -> Properties -> DLC if you're not using Detail View). You'll find the files in SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\Soundtrack.

xezuru

It's sad that Bioware is even in the position that you have to say this. I still think Dragon Age: Origins in the pinnacle of decision based player agency in a game of its scale, CD Projeckt Red is getting so fuckin close, SO fuckin close, definitely quality of the average across all W3 content is higher, but I guess due to the open-world nature and limited character options it's kind of hard to do more than what they had (I haven't played W3 dlc so I don't know if they've improved a huge amount). I am super hyped for Cyberpunk, hopefully having more story freedom starting from scratch and hopefully have way more combat/character options to add on to their great writing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of shockdude, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (shockdude, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Midnight Club II -- MB-EB477621C382F210 - Taken by laserlaser. 26 entrants total.
Midnight Club II #3 -- MB-F690A92A5DEF2E59 - Taken by chronomac. 31 entrants total.
Midnight Club II #2 -- MB-B599C43E231500C2 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 32 entrants total.

t1477103448z1.png

It's sad that Bioware is even in the position that you have to say this. I still think Dragon Age: Origins in the pinnacle of decision based player agency in a game of its scale, CD Projeckt Red is getting so fuckin close, SO fuckin close, definitely quality of the average across all W3 content is higher, but I guess due to the open-world nature and limited character options it's kind of hard to do more than what they had (I haven't played W3 dlc so I don't know if they've improved a huge amount). I am super hyped for Cyberpunk, hopefully having more story freedom starting from scratch and hopefully have way more combat/character options to add on to their great writing.
In terms of player agency, DAO is probably Bioware's best work. BG2 has some good moments, but in terms of sheer roleplaying flexibility I don't think Bioware's done better. Overall though, Fallout: New Vegas handily beats it--there's the same amount of roleplaying flexibility, but far greater flexibility in the world and especially the overall storyline/ending. There's others that I'd put ahead of DAO as well, but I can't think of them offhand.

Going back to DAO vs. the Witcher, I think DAO lacks the nuance of the Witcher. They're both "mature fantasy RPGs," but the Witcher is the one that really tries to dial up the story to the same level. Like, they both kind of showcase the choice & consequence stuff, but TW1, then, goes an extra mile and keeps bringing it back into relevance. The overall story is also leagues better, aiming much higher than a traditional hero's journey with a dark twist, instead giving players a powerful ending that CDPR, to this day, has never directly confirmed the meaning of. TW2 and TW3 take these design philosophies even further.

Bioware does have a big advantage in terms of characters, though. That's one thing they've has always been very good at. Because, while the Witcher has had oodles of memorable & great characters over the games, they're never going to be as prominent as Bioware's companions; and after Dragon Age: Inquisition, it's clear this is by design. (I'll never forgive them for Sera.)
There are side quests that, if you blindly followed the objectives (quest givers lied or were misinformed ), you would miss the actual story of said quests.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition in space, mark my words.

The Witcher 1 has a magnificent quest in Vizima that can change everything if you do proper research and investigation during the quest. It's a really good detective story.

For the Witcher's style of storytelling, the only problem is that a lot of the Witcher politics and stuff are hard to appreciate on a first run. At least, for me; I only ever grasped it on the second playthrough.

And yeah... I'm not holding out much hope for ME:A. Bioware in general is my popcorn flick-tier developer nowadays; I don't really appreciate what they do, but doggone it I sure as heck will consume it.

Just installed Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and I had two crashes, it also restarted my PC both times... so, SDDE does not work on Windows 10?

It works fine for me on Windows 10.

played through it a couple weeks ago on Windows 10...never had any issues

I just found on the Steam Discussions that there's a lot of people having issues with Windows 10, some said that the issues may be related to the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" and some other said that it could be related to Anti-aliasing high consumption... :(

I just found on the Steam Discussions that there's a lot of people having issues with Windows 10, some said that the issues may be related to the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" and some other said that it could be related to Anti-aliasing high consumption... :(

If it's blue screen crashing your PC it's most likely a hardware issue and not a software on, like for example Just Cause 3 would constantly blue screen crash for me and it was because of my Xbox One wireless adapter.

xezuru

What a nice view. Fun as ever ARMA 3. Satisfying to even down a single enemy squad without any injuries.

Are you doing singleplayer or what? I remember the only thing in ARMA 2 that stuck with me was doing the mass scale "co-op" where you're just like 60 people in the giant open map and there were just random missions and militants popping up literally miles apart, only reason it wasnt amazing is because the down time was huge because you'd have to wait for a guy to fly you to the hot zone.

Strider

In a war with brazil from the South... Barbarian camp spawns and they attack from the north right after I rotate my units the opposite way.

Ghandi has denounced me and I'm starting to see more and more of his units coming from the East.

My first game of Civ VI is getting reeeeeaaaally messy

Dungeon Rats (from the makers of Age of Decadence) releasing on November 4th.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsu0EnKH_Zw

Looking at the store page, it feels like something they just cobbled together. Apparently party based combat was a requested feature in Age of Decadence so they ended up making this party based combat game without much else surrounding it. The description says you start in a dungeon and you have to fight your way out and that's it. 50 fights and 4 endings and... not much else?

Ghandi has denounced me and I'm starting to see more and more of his units coming from the East.

*Gandhi. Maybe it's because I'm Indian but it always surprises me how many people spell this fairly simple name wrong :p

Also, I know I said this yesterday but it's worth repeating... The new Battlefield looks looks stupendously good. It's one of the best looking games ever made.

Looking at the store page, it feels like something they just cobbled together. Apparently party based combat was a requested feature in Age of Decadence so they ended up making this party based combat game without much else surrounding it. The description says you start in a dungeon and you have to fight your way out and that's it. 50 fights and 4 endings and... not much else?

It reads as a demo for a future title. Their next game will probably be a healthy balance of Decadence and this. I'll nab this though, looks fun.

mp1990

Banned
Steam store page for Xanadu Next is up.
That looks pretty dope, but for some reason I expected it to be that Akiba's Trip sequel that is very persona-like :p

On a different note, I played the first four levels of Thumper and it was the most exhausting hour and a half I've ever had with video games (and that's not even considering that my thumb is about to fall off), this game is one of the most demanding I've played, can only wonder how the later levels are. That said, WOW this game is intense as hell, and when you're in the middle of "flow" it works like a charm, a very immersing experience indeed (in fact, this game has made me actively more interested in VR :p). Also, having played Rez Infinite just before this one, which is also a very immersive and unique game, it's interesting to see how the two games uses the visuals and sounds "overload" for different purposes; Rez seems very focused on its narrative, while Thumper is more about making the player feel oppressed and hopeless.

drakaenae

getting rid of bundle keys
ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (drakaenae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

16bit Trader -- MB-79410EB7ACEF784E - Taken by Loptous
Spaceport Hope #2 -- MB-B98D1E43732EDFDF - Taken by fuzzy123
Saviors -- MB-F5FCA9EDF2D31DE1 - Taken by user237
Redactem -- MB-F92C1FD7E8050A9A - Taken by Mavromatis
Red Risk -- MB-93D3190898D45861 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Unforgiving Trials The Darkest Crusade -- MB-85F1FC734B627B54 - Taken by Vuze
Enclave #5 -- MB-3B285560B972E078 - Taken by HowardRoark
The Next Door -- MB-A61C0616C3FAE1BA - Taken by Dusk Golem
Grave Prosperity Redux part 1 -- MB-A95CF9B4F283FB79 - Taken by krczt23
They Came From The Moon -- MB-E5686B05F18FBDAF - Taken by Saty
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-9B30F88570703D5B - Taken by dimmer
Iesabel -- MB-563A5B1F81FCDBF0 - Taken by lolcatz
Yellow The Yellow Artifact -- MB-F71448DF57F7CBF6
xheRJRF.gif
Game Tycoon 1.5 -- MB-62E87385A320F53B - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Violett: Soundtrack Edition -- MB-FF022C1FB472C72A - Taken by voodooray
The God's Chain -- MB-4B70BABB4C357499 - Taken by Purkake4
Sparkle 3 Genesis -- MB-0E43A1BA6709C073 - Taken by Diedac
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-61C52D9B5580942B
Monsti -- MB-DD46DCCA683B2A5C - Taken by septicore
Timberman -- MB-B4F0FB20C1D442D4 - Taken by bobnowhere
Spaceport Hope -- MB-D7C25DB468F58307 - Taken by dot

I've mentioned this before, but I think the PS4 Pro and Scorpio mark the beginning of the console arms race condensing into a game of leapfrog. Nintendo will continue its idiosyncratic approach of indulging hit-or-miss whims, but I expect Sony to one-up Scorpio in 2018 and Microsoft to respond in kind in 2019, and so on until consumers get sick of it.

It should have begun downloading shortly after you redeemed the key, but if not just untick then tick the OST in the DLC list (right-click -> Properties -> DLC if you're not using Detail View). You'll find the files in SteamAppscommonSid Meier's Civilization VIDLCSoundtrack.
Thank you.

Wok

Awkward Dimensions Redux is out. I first heard about that game when it was on itch.io. I think it is a kind of contemporary art experiment, which lasts something like 40 minutes.

dex3108

Concurrent players peak for BF1 in last 24 hours combined is almost at 700K. With universal praise from reviewers and for good PC port EA did great job. I wonder how numbers would look like if game was on Steam too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any way to sort your Steam-library from most demanding to least demanding, in regards to hardware?

Generate a list of your games, search for benchmarks, then shuffle the order accordingly. ;) You could make a shortlist of the games that you know you're interested in and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom