• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunaniem

I had to taint my profile to gamble for expensive emoticons but it's all worth it now.

xLDSrnZ.png

Tizoc

It's honestly broken. Obvious that it was done quickly to appease people who are unable or unwilling to wrap their heads around tank controls.

We were just talking about tank controls yesterday.
But grief
I prefer to play without tank controls and the other scheme works fine for me

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's clearly completely unbalanced. The game wasn't designed around you turning on a dime at full speed, which makes many of the encounters trivial.

Just going by how it looks in the game, you have to believe that this was added in at the last minute in order to placate the people who are unwilling to devote the modicum of time it takes to adapt to tank controls.

I don't have any nostalgic attachment to tank controls either. Played Resident Evil for the first time with the Steam rerelease, the controls felt good after 5 minutes, natural in 15 minutes.

You can also make encounters trivial by lowering the actual difficulty setting. Does that mean that option shouldn't exist? I think the reason it looks the way it does is because they were not given a budget to re-work all player animations to accommodate the new control scheme. They felt it was still an option worth including despite that fiscal restraint. I think they made the right choice.

It's clearly completely unbalanced. The game wasn't designed around you turning on a dime at full speed, which makes many of the encounters trivial.

So if the encounters are balanced around having bad controls, and then those encounters get trivialized when you have good controls, is the problem the controls or the encounter design?

Uzzy

Why is football manager not available in germany? probably the biggest market for soccer games

Because Germany get to enjoy actual success in football and don't have to rely on fantasy simulations.

Also as mentioned above, EA own some licences so it's blocked.

Ludens

Banned
I wonder if Nightcry will get a discount during halloween.
The publisher just dumped it on Steam for like 23€, the game sold very bad, around 4000 copies, and it never got a discount despite of this.
It's like they forgot it.

Jawmuncher

You can also make encounters trivial by lowering the actual difficulty setting. Does that mean that option shouldn't exist? I think the reason it looks the way it does is because they were not given a budget to re-work all player animations to accommodate the new control scheme. They felt it was still an option worth including despite that fiscal restraint. I think they made the right choice.

I don't care that the option there, but it's not comparable to difficulty at all. Since it can make even hard mode far easier than it should, along with doing a knife only run. They wouldn't have made new animations for modern controls even with a budget. You really can't do much more than what they did with fixed camera angles.

AHA-Lambda

FYI, GMG seems to be the cheapest currently for Shadow Warrior 2 at £26.79

I wonder if Nightcry will get a discount during halloween.
The publisher just dumped it on Steam for like 23€, the game sold very bad, around 4000 copies, and it never got a discount despite of this.
It's like they forgot it.

They need to give it steeper discounts than it's received for a start.

I'm intrigued by it but it's still just too expensive for my taste

Ludens

Banned
They need to give it steeper discounts than it's received for a start.

I'm intrigued by it but it's still just too expensive for my taste

Yeah, plus the fact the game seems still plagued by bugs and glitches and it seems it's just average, not even good in a junky way like Deadly Premonition. It's strange, I mean, if it sold pretty much nothing, you would try to push it instead of letting it on the store for full price doing nothing.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, plus the fact the game seems still plagued by bugs and glitches and it seems it's just average, not even good in a junky way like Deadly Premonition. It's strange, I mean, if it sold pretty much nothing, you would try to push it instead of letting it on the store for full price doing nothing.

Humble halloween bundle time?

So if the encounters are balanced around having bad controls, and then those encounters get trivialized when you have good controls, is the problem the controls or the encounter design?

It's similar to a driving game, which is modeled for the controls of a car. I wouldn't expect to be able to turn around instantly in a racing game. The game isn't made for it, the courses aren't made for it.

In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a game or genre that isn't designed around its control scheme. Whether or not you think the controls are bad have nothing to do with it - changing those controls can have an effect on the effectiveness of the level and enemy design.

Deadly premonition's issues arent what id call the good kind

I fought with the game for a few hours (with all those damn fixes that don't work) and gave up. I can't rewatch the opening cutscene anymore.

Ascheroth

Deadly premonition's issues arent what id call the good kind

What helped for me was the 4GB RAM exe-patch, didn't have much trouble after that and even 100%ed it.
But yeah, the game's an undeniable technical mess, which is such a shame, because it's so good if it works.

rtcn63

I came pretty close to finishing Deadly Premonition on 360. I can't imagine doing all that driving again, and I frankly missed out on most of the secret stuff (that supposedly makes traveling and the like MUCH easier) because well... I hated traveling.

gelf

I fought with the game for a few hours (with all those damn fixes that don't work) and gave up. I can't rewatch the opening cutscene anymore.
I've fought with it on and off for months and months and no matter what fix I try it still it won't work for me. Absolutely the worst PC port I've ever encountered.

Emulation of the 360 version in the distant future looks like the best option if I ever want to play it on PC.

Grief.exe

I'm probably biased in this argument because I can't wrap my head around people unable or unwilling to adapt to tank controls.

You can also make encounters trivial by lowering the actual difficulty setting.

I never said that those options shouldn't be available to help players who aren't interested in playing the game as it was originally intended, struggle with the difficulty, or struggle with the controls.

Does that mean that option shouldn't exist? I think the reason it looks the way it does is because they were not given a budget to re-work all player animations to accommodate the new control scheme. They felt it was still an option worth including despite that fiscal restraint. I think they made the right choice.

Exactly, it was thrown together last minute on a non-existent budget to curtail those that were unwilling or unable to adopt to these controls. When Resident Evil 4 was released, the Steam forums were flooded with people complaining about the controls, completely ignoring the arguments with how the game was designed and balanced. Just cheaply placate those people before those same people bomb Steam reviews or other aggregate sites.

None of that precludes that the controls break the encounter design and look and play completely out of place with the game.

Neither. The controls aren't bad the encounters are challenging and well designed, Resident Evil is considered to be one of the best games of all time.

haendeul

In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a game or genre that isn't designed around its control scheme. Whether or not you think the controls are bad have nothing to do with it - changing those controls can have an effect on the effectiveness of the level and enemy design.

Actually the levels in Resident Evil 6 doesn't feel like they're designed with its controls scheme in mind. The amount of things you can do with the control scheme is hampered by the abundance of cramped and linear environments in the campaign. This is the main issue fans of the RE6 have with the game.

Ascheroth

As someone who played Resident Evil 4 as his first RE game this year, I had no problem at all with the 'tank controls'.
I actually liked them a lot once I got used to them after a short while.

rtcn63

I personally don't find tank controls fun, especially in a game with obfuscating camera angles and lighting, punishing early combat, and so much backtracking your first time through. Even though the game is designed around it, I find it a chore. I'm probably in the minority, and I understand the purist aspect, which is why I didn't bother buying the new version with the optional easy mode control scheme. Either play it like you're supposed to or don't- but I'm at the point where really who cares?

For me the original RE's were rarely about gameplay, but atmosphere and story. The remaster fucking oozes atmosphere, no doubt about that. Will easier movement ruin that? Maybe.

Knurek

Finished my 52 Games a year challenge. For some reason thought it was 56 tho, so i ended up doing more than was nessecary. Feels good.

Congrats!
I don't think I'll make it to 104 this year. unless I suddenly start playing short games only (and with Dragon Quest VII and Umineko started, and Phoenix Wright 6 and Steins;Gate in the immediate queue that's not happening). Still, 80+ is a decent number.

Actually the levels in Resident Evil 6 doesn't feel like they're designed with its controls scheme in mind. The amount of things you can do with the control scheme is hampered by the abundance of cramped and linear environments in the campaign. This is the main issue fans of the RE6 have with the game.

Very interesting. I never did get around to RE6.

I would agree there's definitely games out there where the levels don't match the controls. They're a frustrating bunch.

mp1990

Banned
Beardblade kickstarter is up. Game looks reeeeeally neat, the $90,000 goal may seem worrisome but in the KS page it states that they're already 25% complete with the game, so I'd say it's doable.

Here are some cool gifs:

tumblr_oe39yi4m9y1tkvqmfo1_400.gif

tumblr_odobo4awJi1tkvqmfo2_400.gif

tumblr_ocxxjtMbNJ1tkvqmfo1_400.gif

Finished my 52 Games a year challenge. For some reason thought it was 56 tho, so i ended up doing more than was nessecary. Feels good.

None of these are either Ace Attorney or Kirby so I vote to invalidate your challenge.

(I'm on my way to finish mine, sitting at 41 games now, should be able to finish the 52 one by late December)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is there a good "mod guide" for Oblivion? I feel like running a fresh start and surely by 2016 new stuff came out.

Jawmuncher

I would agree there's definitely games out there where the levels don't match the controls. They're a frustrating bunch.

Resident Evil 6's biggest flaw is indeed inconsistency more than anything. Feels like they made the levels first, and then the gameplay. The gameplay really shines, mercs is proof of that. But the campaigns never give it as much breathing room as it should. Though there is still fun to be had even solo. To this day had RE6 been one campaign that was say 15 hours and finely tuned. I think the reception would have been much different. Outside anyone still upset at the time that they were still going for action.

haendeul

It's really interesting that RE1 can be considered a good example of a game clearly designed around its own control system, while in RE6 it feels like the controls and levels come from two different planets. Mercenaries mode in RE6 is rad though.

Resident Evil 6's biggest flaw is indeed inconsistency more than anything. Feels like they made the levels first, and then the gameplay. The gameplay really shines, mercs is proof of that. But the campaigns never give it as much breathing room as it should. Though there is still fun to be had even solo. To this day had RE6 been one campaign that was say 15 hours and finely tuned. I think the reception would have been much different. Outside anyone still upset at the time that they were still going for action.

I agree. I really wish the Revelations sub-series would build on the RE6 system and make it right.

gelf

In a fixed camera environment tank controls are absolutely the best option for me. Knowing that pressing up is always move forward in the direction your facing stops me getting disorientated on a camera angle change. It was weird trying the camera relative option in REmake just for the hell of it. While the greater manoeuvrability could break certain encounters it also increases the amount of times a camera change would send me running into the arms of a zombie because all of a sudden I'm holding a completely wrong feeling direction to move forward.

Ludens

Banned
I have a question regarding Kentucky Route Zero:
so people wrote each episode is around 2-3 hours, but I just played the first and it was like 30 minutes. Did I miss something? Are choices in the game for which you can visit a totally different location or what? Because I started in the gas station, restored the power, found the home with the girl asking me to tune her TV, found the mine with the cousin of this girl, found the laboratory but it was empty, I found also a church, a museum and a place with two men and a plane, than I went back to the home with the girl and the episode ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom