• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
About the same as anything really. I heard it was just an hour long. The most hilarious thing is Sony marketing. On PC these are treated as the simple experimental experiences they are; with Playstation they treat them by name and franchise alone. I'm sure there will be disappointed folk out there when they realise

Oh yes. I've been silently laughing at the people trying to push "PSVR is going to get the traditional gaming big AAA experiences!" all the while lauding games that will probably be over in 30 minutes and be less fun and less replayable than most indies. Sadly seems like just mentioning a brand like Batman and others automatically convinces people lol

Uzzy

Just played 44 minutes of the 2d platformer/shooter Seraph, which came out of early access late last month, and is available for £9.99. Here's some pretty early impressions.

T1MZo7t.png

Now these are the kinda angels I like!

So Seraph sees you put in the role of a gun-slinging angel, who's been held captive for decades only to be released when demons quite inconveniently invade your prison. You have to ascend through a bunch of procedurally generated levels, smiting all the demons in your way, with a variety of powers and weapons at your fingertips. There's crafting, and levelling up and so far it's all pretty standard stuff.

But there's one small change to the standard formula. Did I mention you don't aim? Your character automatically locks onto enemies for you to shoot them, leaving you to instead focus on using your special holy powers to double jump, cartwheel and dash away from the bullet hell coming your way. Without the pressure of aiming at the enemies, you instead have to focus on dodging everything coming towards you, and so far, it looks really good to pull that off perfectly, stylishly evading all the enemies attacks while putting bullets into their heads, before closing in for the melee kill to deal with the bigger demons. I mean, it's not quite Bayonetta levels of style, but it still looks and feels great. The electronic sound track that reminds me of 90s action certainly helps.

There looks to be a lot of replayability attached to the game too, with the aforementioned procedurally generated levels just being part of it. There's various modes to play through, dynamic difficulty, daily and weekly challenges and even a twitch mode.

I reckon I'll be playing quite a bit more of this. See it in action here.

haendeul

I want every game to support VR natively. With the camera working as it does normally, but it's your disembodied head instead. But it seems like developers and consumers only want these "experiences" instead of using VR as an extension of the traditional screen like I want.
Something as simple as, say in RE4 the camera behaves as normal, but it fills your entire view. I understand it's not that simple to implement, but it's what I want.

MUnited83

For you.
I want every game to support VR natively. With the camera working as it does normally, but it's your disembodied head instead. But it seems like developers and consumers only want these "experiences" instead of using VR as an extension of the traditional screen like I want.
Something as simple as, say in RE4 the camera behaves as normal, but it fills your entire view. I understand it's not that simple to implement, but it's what I want.

Good thing there's a lot of community-made alternatives on PC for that :D

VR implementation brings with it so many bugbears it would be irresponsible for it to be made a standard. Like, suddenly everything is now controller-based; great for VR, bad for certain games. Then there's technical concerns--if a player phases their view through a wall, should they see anything or nothing? And gameplay concerns--stick-based VR movement causes a lot of motion sickness, especially in first-person, so should there be an alternate movement type; and if so, does that conflict with the current gameplay? On top of all this, how will it impact profitability of games overall to cut so many games into the same general shape?

Bugbears are the worst.
Well, I'm ready now for 7 October...

Installing Grim Dawn now, though - that's worth my £8.50.

Oh wow, that's pretty tempting. I actually refunded GD during the last big Steam sale... but this changes things.

Related: I've been trying to get into Titan Quest now that Remastered granted me the xpac, but I still feel it's too slow and weightless to really get into it. It just makes me long for the frenetic action of Diablo 2, or something more dynamic and interesting like Din's Curse. But perhaps it's time to dive into GD for realsies.

They can't monthly bundle more multiplayer-only games can they? Surely that's against some kind of law.

Uzzy

Ucchedavāda;218840249 said:
Looks pretty interesting, but how does the auto lock-on handle multiple enemies? I could see that being rather frustrating, if it is not handled well. Does it just target the nearest (pair of) enemies?

Yeah, targets the nearest two enemies from what I can tell. You can manually lock onto particular enemies with the right stick though, so there is some degree of control.

Ozium

Humble Monthly October leaked:

Grim Dawn
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Paladins Founder Pack
Neon Ultra
Bad Rats Show
Virginia demo
Humble Original

watch it be worse

Kifimbo

On the fence regarding the next Monthly Bundle. I think they will try to redeem themselves after the last month fiasco, and I kinda want Grim Dawn.

Backlogger

Fingers crossed, but I'll not get my hopes up *too* much!

Missed the spoiler? ;)

Ha I saw it but I guess what I meant is I wasn't sure if it was a real rumor or not. So far every bundle the most interesting game to me has always been the announced game. The mystery games haven't interested me much to risk blindly spending $12 a month on this.

I'm still debating getting this months for Grimm Dawn but we'll see

haendeul

VR implementation brings with it so many bugbears it would be irresponsible for it to be made a standard.
(...)
And gameplay concerns--stick-based VR movement causes a lot of motion sickness, especially in first-person, so should there be an alternate movement type; and if so, does that conflict with the current gameplay? On top of all this, how will it impact profitability of games overall to cut so many games into the same general shape?

In my ideal implementation this would just be a feature natively supported by the game engines. And the camera just behaves like it would on a normal screen.

The other alternative is to just have the game displayed in front of you on a virtual 3D screen. I believe tools for that already exist, not sure about the 3D part. So you want to play Crysis 3 in 3D, but don't have a 3D screen. Put on your headset and play on a big screen in front of you.

There's a lot of potential in VR that exites me, especially for working space purposes. Like having as many extra screens as you want, and being able to just turn your head and check something on the other screens, move them around when you don't need them. But i hear the screen quality isn't there yet for the kind of purpose I want.

Knurek

If the October bundle is crappy, they will for sure lose my subscription.
Contemplated doing this this month, but I really want to give them another chance (also, Grim Dawn).

rtcn63

In the most recent episode of GI's RE4 Super Replay, Tim Turi (who works for Capcpom) says that RE7 isn't big on the supernatural elements, so don't expect PT.

Ozium

If the October bundle is crappy, they will for sure lose my subscription.
Contemplated doing this this month, but I really want to give them another chance (also, Grim Dawn).

and then they put a highly valued wishlisted game as the early unlock next month and the cycle starts anew

godfather3.gif

What if it's eight games I already own?

Oh, who am I kidding. I don't own that much bundleware...
In my ideal implementation this would just be a feature natively supported by the game engines. And the camera just behaves like it would on a normal screen.

The other alternative is to just have the game displayed in front of you on a virtual 3D screen. I believe tools for that already exist, not sure about the 3D part. So you want to play Crysis 3 in 3D, but don't have a 3D screen. Put on your headset and play on a big screen in front of you.

There's a lot of potential in VR that exites me, especially for working space purposes. Like having as many extra screens as you want, and being able to just turn your head and check something on the other screens, move them around when you don't need them. But i hear the screen quality isn't there yet for the kind of purpose I want.

Oh, the multitasking potential is great. And the TV part would be a quick fix.

I seem to get too focused on the "make it a game" part when discussing VR. Pah.

I think it is about time we see:

• Assault Android Cactus
  • Aviary Attorney
  • The Long Dark

Edit: And maybe Windlands for a 2016 release.

Yes! The Long Dark on sale now and Invisible Inc. having a Gog offer are two clues in my mind. Please, please!

Anustart

Got my steam link today and set it up. Quick question for anyone with experience with this.

Any way to have it stream as a second display instead of just cloning my main display? Id like to be able to do things on my monitor while the fam is watching tv if possible.

Anyone have any input?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Completely off topic:

If anyone is absurdly bored, there is a rather amazing 1 hour 45 minute tear down of Star Wars Force Awakens (amongst other film series mentioned) by Mr Plinkett.

Even if you can't watch ALL of it - the first 10 seconds sets the tone perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

It's worth watching the whole thing. I saw this years ago when someone linked it to me. The dude is so right about so many things.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I unsubscribed from Humble Monthly after last months.

Figure it would be cheaper to buy the games I actually want in any given monthly for cheap on BST

data

Humble Monthly is awesome. If you don't like the preview game, you can usually sell it for 7-10 bucks. Then the bundle costs 2-5$. If you don't like any other games in the bundle you can sell those and mostly even turn a profit.

Nzyme32

It's worth watching the whole thing. I saw this years ago when someone linked it to me. The dude is so right about so many things.

Years ago?!

Firstly, this video was uploaded today after a long time of not much from him

Secondly, even Star Wars Force Awakens isnt a year old! Regardless, this also delves into the mess of cinematic universes and other stuff. Hence "much much more"

Mikurden

Years ago?!

Firstly, this video was uploaded today after a long time of not much from him

Secondly, even Star Wars Force Awakens isnt a year old!
He's probably talking about the prequel videos -- that's what he started with and/or really made a name for himself with.

Ugh, and it's Monday already. Here's hoping for a good weeklong deals.

why play a slower wow with smaller rotations and playerbase? if you can afford coke you should get it over rc cola

: ^ )

Quality over quantity. :p

People are so friendly & helpful in FFXIV, and that's all that matters. Also, cross-play with console & controller support. And fanservice, all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom