• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Years ago?!

Firstly, this video was uploaded today after a long time of not much from him

Secondly, even Star Wars Force Awakens isnt a year old! Regardless, this also delves into the mess of cinematic universes and other stuff. Hence "much much more"

Oh shiiitt. I saw the pic and assumed it was the old one about Phantom Menace. I will need to go watch this now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone ever got into (or is into) Dungeon Fighter Online?

Friend of mine is trying hard to get me into it lately

yuraya

VR mode in RE7 is exclusive to PSVR for a year.

Sad times await us all when corporations are starting to moneyhat gameplay modes for an entire year. Really sad.

Just played 44 minutes of the 2d platformer/shooter Seraph, which came out of early access late last month, and is available for £9.99. Here's some pretty early impressions.

So Seraph sees you put in the role of a gun-slinging angel, who's been held captive for decades only to be released when demons quite inconveniently invade your prison. You have to ascend through a bunch of procedurally generated levels, smiting all the demons in your way, with a variety of powers and weapons at your fingertips. There's crafting, and levelling up and so far it's all pretty standard stuff.

But there's one small change to the standard formula. Did I mention you don't aim? Your character automatically locks onto enemies for you to shoot them, leaving you to instead focus on using your special holy powers to double jump, cartwheel and dash away from the bullet hell coming your way. Without the pressure of aiming at the enemies, you instead have to focus on dodging everything coming towards you, and so far, it looks really good to pull that off perfectly, stylishly evading all the enemies attacks while putting bullets into their heads, before closing in for the melee kill to deal with the bigger demons. I mean, it's not quite Bayonetta levels of style, but it still looks and feels great. The electronic sound track that reminds me of 90s action certainly helps.

There looks to be a lot of replayability attached to the game too, with the aforementioned procedurally generated levels just being part of it. There's various modes to play through, dynamic difficulty, daily and weekly challenges and even a twitch mode.

I reckon I'll be playing quite a bit more of this. See it in action here.

Have been meaning to buy this for so damn long.

I think there needs to be an Official Thread for this game

I haven't done this in a while, so please be gentle...impressions for Sacra Terra: Angelic Night:

The story: You play a nameless dude - oh wait, not technically true, you choose your name at the beginning and it just uses that, because you see your name in a logbook - who wakes up in a hospital for reasons that aren't fully explained, and you aren't sure where you are. It's implied it's a mental hospital but contains rooms that make it look like a regular hospital...so who knows. You then discover that the hospital's three eminent doctors/psychologists invoked a ritual to summon demons, apparently for fun. So your job is to banish the seven demons (based on the seven deadly sins) and help the head doctor's dead daughter who's now an angel (and every time she shows up, she's accompanied by these whispering echoes that say "Angel, angel, angel..." which is really weird for several reasons.) Even overlooking the lapses in both research and catechism, the game is basically half a story. I was hoping the bonus chapter would shed some light on how you were brought there and what exactly is going on, but it's a "two days earlier" segment, where you....wake up in the same hospital. So the main chapter means he has no memory of the past few days. It raises more questions than it answers. The ending doesn't help either: Spoilers!
You wake up in the hospital AGAIN, only it looks brighter and more cheerful, sort of like you were in the Otherworld Alchemilla and now you're in the fog world one.
When you learn in the bonus chapter where exactly the hospital is, the ending becomes even less satisfying. Poorly thought out from beginning to end.

There was a subplot about how Angel died. You find evidence such as written confessions all over the place, and they're so blatant you'd wonder why anyone would ever even think of writing things like that. "I killed the mom, and the daughter's next!" It's so obvious, perhaps it's a reverse psychology thing that any police who find it would assume it's a frame job?

The gameplay and puzzles: The hidden object scenes do that thing I hate where they only have eight list items at any given time and replace them as you go. Each scene did have only one item that required an extra step, so that was okay. Some of the inventory puzzles were weird (recharge a battery using a defibrillator!) or fell into the trap of the too-similar item (I need to attach a blade to a pole to cut a wire. Can't use the knife, though...I had to wait until I had a SCALPEL. Buh-scuse me?) Most mini-games were familiar, and once again I skipped the one where you have to move nodes so that the wires don't cross - I have NO idea if there's any strategy for it - but there was a new one, and it was so easy it might not have bothered to be a puzzle at all.

The game contains "beyond objects" that are shape-shifting items in each screen. There are no achievements, though, and I have no idea if they unlock anything, so I'm not sure if there's any point in finding them whatsoever.

It did have a few minor bugs, such as the wrong success message being displayed, or telling you that you need something after you've already done it, letting you click on a mini-area after you've done all you can there, things like that.

The audio and dialogue: No voice acting outside of "Angel, angel, angel...". Dialogue was surprisingly un-janky, EXCEPT for the poems about the seven sins. Half rhymed, half were like "fuck it, we can't make this rhyme, good enough." One of the first sound effects you hear is a door opening and it's straight out of Daggerfall. The rest are unremarkable.

The graphics: Not too bad. Kinda standard for these sorts of games. Near the end of the game, you do get to see what you look like: you're a plain-looking dude in a hospital gown. It suddenly becomes pretty comical to imagine you doing everything you did while still in a hospital gown.

The length: 4.3 hours for both main chapter and bonus chapter. I played on expert mode but at times I had to use hints because I didn't notice an object in a room I needed. Partly my fault because duh, hidden object game; partly theirs to not make the important objects stick out more. Overall, not a bad length. Feel free to play on easy, get hints, skip puzzles, etc. because there are no achievements.

The verdict: If you're not playing for the story, the gameplay is average. It's nothing special, but nothing horrible, and has small but overlookable flaws as seen above. But the fact that the game's story is unpolished, incomplete, just plain all over the place with unanswered questions, I couldn't recommend it.

Tizoc

I hate having insomnia =_=
Been trying to sleep for the past 3 hours

Got a new ipad pro if i am still awake for another 3ish hours gonna go buy a cover for it
Hopefully some moving about will make me sleepy @_@

I hate having insomnia =_=
Been trying to sleep for the past 3 hours

Got a new ipad pro if i am still awake for another 3ish hours gonna go buy a cover for it
Hopefully some moving about will make me sleepy @_@

Don't fall asleep driving. That's a dangerous game friendo.

Parsnip

Played through the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass story stuff.
It's really thin, but I knew that before going in. Yet it was still surprising just how thin it is.
First I finished all the Arkham stories and had this feeling that there's no way that was it, and then looked at the DLC list on the client and was reminded of Season of Infamy. Almost missed it just because they put it in the main story instead of its own menu like the rest of them.

What a great looking game though. All the character models are just amazing.
I said wow.

Played through the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass story stuff.
It's really thin, but I knew that before going in. Yet it was still surprising just how thin it is.
First I finished all the Arkham stories and had this feeling that there's no way that was it, and then looked at the DLC list on the client and was reminded of Season of Infamy. Almost missed it just because they put it in the main story instead of its own menu like the rest of them.

What a great looking game though. All the character models are just amazing.
I said wow.

The amount of detail in the world and on the characters is just staggering.

Finally copped assualt android cactus. So good. Shame it didn't sell better. The name and android aesthetics don't help tho

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know the auto renewal was last friday but can you still sub to the grim dawn humble monthly until they reveal the games or are you SoL?

oipic

I know the auto renewal was last friday but can you still sub to the grim dawn humble monthly until they reveal the games or are you SoL?

Yep, you can still subscribe (and receive Grim Dawn) now - up until it goes 'live' on the 7th, I believe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of, DOA5 Core Fighters later today. I know the port is bad, but free is free, I guess.

If the characters cost $20 total, you are basically saving $40 for the story mode, since that'll be the only thing left locked from the free version IIRC.

That said, given how overpriced the DLC is on Steam, I expect them VASTLY overprice the F2P unlocks.

Teppic

Yes. Just make sure that you have paid for the bundle before it's been revealed. If you haven't been charged and received the bundle in your purchase history you may have to use the pay early option.

TheTrain

The Audio in RAGE is literally broken or is there something wrong on my end? It literally cuts out randomly while driving or walking. But not entirely, only footsteps and engine sound, it's driving me crazy
I'm playing on an Asus rog cuz i'm in canada for work, I've already tried to kill all the asus app and I've updated the realtek driver. I'm out of ideas now

The Audio in RAGE is literally broken or is there something wrong on my end? It literally cuts out randomly while driving or walking. But not entirely, only footsteps and engine sound, it's driving me crazy
I'm playing on an Asus rog cuz i'm in canada for work, I've already tried to kill all the asus app and I've updated the realtek driver. I'm out of ideas now

It worked perfectly on my system when I played it last year; Realtek HD onboard.. Could be the game or windows is trying to output surround when you are only using 2.0/2.1

Deques

I have a small problem in LEGO Batman 2. The game sometimes freezes for a second and then is normal again. It's not that the game crashes. Is there any fix for this?

Deques

always good

Depending on what games are included.

Buying all crap bundle does you not good since it's building your already huge library with crap games that you never will play any way. Why not just spend less money on crap bundles and more on quality games instead?

Ozium

Bundles are always better than the unbundled when given the opportunity of verisimilitude.

Like apricots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom