• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Guys I have a major problem

Someone just tried to login to my account from some European country. Steam says they were trying to access with the correct user and pass, but I setup a fresh random pass a month ago. Thing is, this happened a month ago too, and the pass I was using a month ago was also a fresh pass I setup a few days before that hack attempt by some thai ip address.

This probably means by computer is compromised, but I've run every rookit, virus, malware, adware, spyware scanner listed on bleepingcomputer, and have malwarebytes, windows defender etc and they never turn up anything.

They won't be able to access my account because my email is also behind 2FA, but this is worrying. Anyone know what I can do?

Personally, I'd reinstall Windows, and make sure all the apps and programs you reinstall from scratch are clean - check for new versions, and maybe even re-download everything from a "good" source, just to make sure.

It seems overkill, but at the same time, if they can snatch your Steam password, they can snatch anything else - email, Paypal, banking.

kagamin

Uhhhh, Blackbeard I don't think that's how you use the shield:
CuJLO5mUEAIlSMC.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Beglitched got a midnight release:

I still don't know what this game is, but it looks cool.

Well the videos for that were of no help at all. They left me more confused than I was before.

Will Friday the 13th have a single player mode? I'd even settle for a bot mode. The nes version was single player, after all. :p

are the transformer games any good?

Devastation is a good Platinum game for "stylish action". So if you want a bite sized version of Bayonetta like combat, it's well worth it. Don't even have to be a fan of the license to enjoy it as long as the game play is something you can get into for mastering the combat, going for high scores, trying out different weapons, etc.

War/Fall of Cybertron are good stories if you like the original Transformers with serviceable third person shooter combat and turning into cars or jets for some of that action.

Wok

The "!" is important. Based on the cover and on my skipping the "!", I thought it was a weird game about delicious waifus. Need to find a delicious pair of... tiles.

Guys I have a major problem

Someone just tried to login to my account from some European country. Steam says they were trying to access with the correct user and pass, but I setup a fresh random pass a month ago. Thing is, this happened a month ago too, and the pass I was using a month ago was also a fresh pass I setup a few days before that hack attempt by some thai ip address.

This probably means by computer is compromised, but I've run every rookit, virus, malware, adware, spyware scanner listed on bleepingcomputer, and have malwarebytes, windows defender etc and they never turn up anything.

They won't be able to access my account because my email is also behind 2FA, but this is worrying. Anyone know what I can do?

The best thing to do is to backup your important files to an external drive, re-format, and only then re-install windows. Make sure to re-format, and not just re-install on top of your existing installation. After you've re-formatted and reinstalled, you'll then want to scan your backups before bringing anything back. There are tools to detect root-kits, but there's no guarantee that they'll get anything, so a clean wipe is really the only way to be sure.

While I do not recommend it, your second option is to create a Linux live-CD / USD-stick, boot into that, and then run the various anti-malware options that exist for detecting Windows malware. There are a few options out there, but the simplest (if you know Linux already) it just getting something like an Ubuntu live-CD, and then downloading whatever extra software you need once you've booted that. Your third, non-recommended, option is to physically remove your HD, connect it do a different computer (for example with a USB enclosure), booting into the clean drive on that computer (very important, of course), and then run scans on it from there. However, in both cases you are at the mercy of whatever tools you are using, and there is no guarantee that they'll get anything or even anything.

Finished Kero Blaster some days ago, on the standard, Zangyou (hard) and Omake mode. Starts pretty simple but it gets harder, with a few tricky platforming sequences as well. Hard mode is totally worth playing as story (what little there is) is different, levels are almost completely redesigned, bosses have a few new patterns and attacks, and the last level and bosses are completely new. Omake mode, on the other hand, is just the standard normal mode with a boss rush sequence at the end. So for anyone who decides to play it, don't stop there once you beat it, play Zangyou mode.

Overall it's a pretty fun and (eventually) fairly challenging sidescroller, certainly different from Cave Story, but worth playing if you like the genre.

Monooboe

So I was just about to start Baldurs Gate 2 and Minsc acted like he knew me, so I realize that I might have missed a bit in Baldurs Gate 1, and I can't let go of that feeling that I should go back to it and tie up some loose ends before going to 2, should I bother?

I also imported my character from the first game and I was the same level in 2. I guess the game scales up to match me, but wouldn't that make the game kind of weird?

shockdude

I bought split second cuz it was on sale.

After attempting to redeem I realized I already bought splitsecond.

Guys this is a real problem.
Split/Second -- MB-5A955D5AE81C7B27 - Taken by shockdude. 29 entrants total.
This was actually unexpected. Great giveaway, thanks!
Split/Second's been on my watchlist for a while, I'm looking forward to playing it soon.

Wok

Strangely, some games are roughly 10% cheaper on the Humble Store than on the Steam Store, even before applying the 10% discount for Humble Monthly gamblers.

Shenzhen I/O

3b3dY0n.png

oQzb8a0.png

Beglitched

X7ts33b.png

ZT2lTDJ.png

So with the Monthly gambler discount, the difference is about 20%.

1vZhUSJ.png

Platy

so ... how does Split/Second DRM works ?

Does it allow family share or anything like it or is just an annoying login ?

Also .. is there a site that catalog this type of information ?

The "!" is important. Based on the cover and on my skipping the "!", I thought it was a weird game about delicious waifus. Need to find a delicious pair of... tiles.

This is bullshit game. The tiles are just regular looking tiles.

They should be female anime face. 8/10.

I didn't realize Playism had picked this up. Hell, I didn't even know how it was called. I only remember watching a video of it a couple years ago. It's a japanese indie game that clearly takes inspiration from the King's Field series. There's even a demo (which I haven't tried yet). Wishlisted.

Tellaerin

cannibalism fetish?

Yikes! Here I was just imagining C,S,D! with cute anime girls.

I didn't realize Playism had picked this up. Hell, I didn't even know how it was called. I only remember watching a video of it a couple years ago. It's a japanese indie game that clearly takes inspiration from the King's Field series. There's even a demo (which I haven't tried yet). Wishlisted.

The funny thing is that those screenshots look like how I remember King's Field looking on the PS1, and I know that a Playstation game couldn't look anywhere near that good. It's interesting how things can look better in your memories than they ever did in reality. (And don't go posting screenshots of KF now, guys. Let me cherish my blatantly unrealistic hi-res memories of wandering around that damned island, lol.)

Ascheroth

Anyone have an idea on how to fix Dark Souls 2 SOTFS crashing on start-up?
Just crashes immediately with "Dark Souls 2 has stopped working". Tried verifying game-cache, running as administrator, compatiblity mode, reinstalling redistributables, activating GPU Scaling in the Radeon Settings (came up by googling as a potential fix), but nothing worked.

...Not exactly a good first impression.

Kaleinc

Banned
Anyone have an idea on how to fix Dark Souls 2 SOTFS crashing on start-up?
Just crashes immediately with "Dark Souls 2 has stopped working". Tried verifying game-cache, running as administrator, compatiblity mode, reinstalling redistributables, activating GPU Scaling in the Radeon Settings (came up by googling as a potential fix), but nothing worked.

...Not exactly a good first impression.
Windows 10 with installed anniversary update?

Somehow that dev is only bringing the same game over and over again. I mean they already released 2 animu "Mahjong" games on Steam.

Nzyme32

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but Bioshock 1 and 2 remasters have got updates that bring them up to a level more expected:

BioShock 1
  • Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
  • 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
  • Resolved several graphical issues on NVidia hardware
  • New Graphics options available for lower-end machines
  • Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed
  • Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
  • Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
  • Settings will no longer automatically reset on improperly shutting down BioShock
  • Speaker Mode should now be selectable from the Audio Options Menu
  • Fixed an initialization bug with Audio System.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

BioShock 2
  • Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
  • 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
  • Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed.
  • Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
  • Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
  • DirectX 11 Performance improvements
  • Fixed several graphical issues with Occlusion Culling.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

Humble Monthly Disappoint in 5 hours. I wonder what F2P, tech demo, exclusive trailer Humble will bandle up in this month cuz last month was bleh.

Ascheroth

I'd start testing with rollback.

Nah that's way too much of a hassle. Not worth it.
I've got it to start 2 times now by dicking around with the GPU scaling options, the first time it worked with on both globally and in the specific profile, stopped working after closing the game. Second time I set the profile specific option to off and it worked, stopped working after closing it again haven't been able to get it to start again no matter what combination of settings I try.

What a piece of shit. Worse port than Deadly Premonition confirmed.
I already feel like I spent way too much time messing around, debating whether I should just refund it if can't find a consistently working solution.

Edit: got it to run 3 more times, with what appears to be random settings. Every time I quit the game after a successfull start, I'm not able to get it to start again with those settings.
I guess I'll wait and see if anyone has any ideas or I'll refund it later today or tomorrow.

chronomac

I don't know how many of you have broken out Road to Ballhalla since the bundle hit but if you haven't you should. Fantastic little puzzle platformer. Very polished, funny and challenging but not so much to make you give up. I'm about a quarter of the way through and pleasantly surprised by this thing.

Jawmuncher

I think I'll wait for dead rising to hit steam. The Xboxversion will have performance issues more than likely and the windows store Still has a broken downloader.

Though that means even less games I plan to play this holiday. I think Gears is now the only game I'm getting this holiday season.

rtcn63

I've also used CDkeys a few times. No problems, but it's always YMMV since others have had issues. Your first purchase, they ask for your phone number and call you to verify I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom