• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mafia 2 is starting to look no where near as good as Mafia 2. The sandbox style of do shit, to get the boss to show up I just hate. Will be waiting for it to hit the bargain bin. I personally was just hoping for another good story, with just more side content on the world. That's all they had to do.

is mafia 2 good?

Mafia's alright so far, but the blur or whatever is hurting my eyes when I play too much

Turning off the blur doesn't fix it. It's almost like the game is being rendered at a lower/non native resolution and then being upscaled to your monitor. The pop in is pretty bad too. Last time I remember pop in this bad was Saints Row 3. No LOD setting, obviously. I don't even like the crosshair which is just a circle instead of a proper dot which actually shows you where you're aiming. Another leftover from consoles which use auto aim.

And then of course there's the horrible framerate cap. I could maybe deal with it during driving sections but it actually feels bad to move your character around. Just no words.

Even if it is a good game, this is a very careless PC port. I would have already refunded it were it not for the fact that I got it at a third of the price it's currently selling at on Steam.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Turning off the blur doesn't fix it. It's almost like the game is being rendered at a lower/non native resolution and then being upscaled to your monitor. The pop in is pretty bad too. Last time I remember pop in this bad was Saints Row 3. No LOD setting, obviously. I don't even like the crosshair which is just a circle instead of a proper dot which actually shows you where you're aiming. Another leftover from consoles which use auto aim.

And then of course there's the horrible framerate cap. I could maybe deal with it during driving sections but it actually feels bad to move your character around. Just no words.

Even if it is a good game, this is a very careless PC port. I would have already refunded it were it not for the fact that I got it at a third of the price it's currently selling at on Steam.

Yeah, I got it for £22 and it's a birthday gift, so I won't be refunding.

But, yeah, it's a bad port.

It isn't all bad news. I look forward to buying Mafia 3 for $5 or a part of some cheap 2k bundle early next year.

giphy.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Who was it who had the list with recommended words to filter out for GAF?

already filtered out "VR"

yuraya

I really want Dying Light but its still so expensive. I know they packed in the dlc but for a game released in early 2015 it really hasn't gotten any good deals. Meanwhile most games from last year got great deals both on and off steam. Techland so strict they don't wanna cave. Buying it now for that type of price just makes you feel like an idiot for not buying it at launch.

Ludens

Banned
Well, I posted it in the BTS thread, I write it here too: I have a spare Spec Ops the Line and Sid Meyer's Pirate, I would trade one of those for a copy of Désiré from the current Indiegala or Dead Island riptide (activable in Europe).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Grief.exe Steam messaged me for a link to the Greenlight page, so I'll use that segway to post it here again.

Hollow Bliss on Steam Greenlight

Appreciate anyone who takes a moment to look at it and consider voting for it, the teaser trailer up right now is a bit lame honestly, right now working on a much bigger and better trailer. I want the game to mostly be a surprise and not spoil too much though, so hard balance.

But because I love you guys so much, I'll show a few of the fun monsters I've been doing with the little chibi cube style of the characters. Working a 'sugar-coated' cute style for horror has been fun (and works well with my limited modelling ability, honestly).

3785aa07f25b524d72b9ec53171fddcc.gif
b8cc68da193765fd8b449b2afa571c32.png
f1683aeaec217d2e7884a8c215cb80b7.gif
c3715f7d32a134f7fa8a8e01ba249a45.gif

(shhhh, keep this here, I want most of this to be a surprise, though there are more monsters than what I posted here too, the sound design for these has been fun.)

Ascheroth

Grief.exe Steam messaged me for a link to the Greenlight page, so I'll use that segway to post it here again.

That's pretty neat.
After watching/rereading some Ito today I'm in the mood to tackle a horror game myself. Although that's probably pretty far of, need to finish our current project first (which we've barely started with).

Dusk Golem

That's pretty neat.
After watching/rereading some Ito today I'm in the mood to tackle a horror game myself. Although that's probably pretty far of, need to finish our current project first (which we've barely started with).

If you ever do, feel free to share here too. I love seeing other people's projects, and this is the season to be spooked now, tralalala-something like that.

Could Rez ever come to PC?

Probably not, but I really hope so.

New Update on Mafia III from their official website. A message to our PC players
We know how important having options that best suit your PC’s performance capabilities are. The team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second. We are currently working on an update for PC that will give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates. We’ll share more details about the update, and when you can expect it to arrive, very soon. In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you. We’re actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance. It’s been an incredible journey developing Mafia III and we couldn’t be more excited to get the game in your hands and hear what you think!
I'm not sure what led to a 30fps locked game at start but they ought to have anticipated negative reaction. It reads like the unlocked framerate patch is not a reactionary thing to though. Will be interesting to learn more about what happened behind the scenes in the future but like I thought, it will be 60fps.
is mafia 2 good?
It's great. Loved it. Ends abrupt though.
Good for you, I ended up obsessing over the Achievements and wouldn't let go until I managed to 100% the damn thing.
..you 100%'d Spelunky....?

g60gkMa.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New Update on Mafia III from their official website. A message to our PC players

I'm not sure what led to a 30fps locked game at start but they ought to have anticipated negative reaction. It reads like the unlocked framerate patch is not a reactionary thing to though. Will be interesting to learn more about what happened behind the scenes in the future but like I thought, it will be 60fps.

The way I see it, the "60fps patch" they're working on is either reactionary or the game was intentionally gimped (ala Watch Dogs) to make the PC version less appealing in favor of the console release sales.

Anno

Grim Dawn just got a nice little balance update and a handful of new legendary uniques. Come play!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Anno, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Grim Dawn -- MB-7F94D5B874223F70 - Taken by freshVeggie. 29 entrants total.

t1475804182z1.png

Ascheroth

If you ever do, feel free to share here too. I love seeing other people's projects, and this is the season to be spooked now, tralalala-something like that.

In that case, I do have something to share, and while it's not exactly horror, it's at least (hopefully) somewhat atmospheric/oppressive.
Some screens from one of our earlier projects (it's not that old though). It's a story-driven turn-based TRPG in a somewhat bleak sci-fi setting (with mechs). Was a 3 person student project, and while we've finished a playable 'chapter 1' of sorts, there are a couple more things that need some ironing out, before I'm completely happy with it. It's definitely something I want to go back to and finish up eventually though.

Nice screens, Ascheroth. The world always needs more TRPGs, so I wish you luck! (Especially since it's mech-based. Mechs make everything better!)
Grim Dawn just got a nice little balance update and a handful of new legendary uniques. Come play!

You are a good man, Anno.

Grim Dawn is one of my biggest surprises this year. I don't know how I overlooked it. It's like the Diablo 3 I always wanted, with some very intelligent additions and none of the muck that bogged down Torchlight 2.

Dusk Golem

In that case, I do have something to share, and while it's not exactly horror, it's at least (hopefully) somewhat atmospheric/oppressive.

Some screens from one of our earlier projects (it's not that old though). It's a story-driven turn-based TRPG in a somewhat bleak sci-fi setting (with mechs). Was a 3 person student project, and while we've finished a playable 'chapter 1' of sorts, there are a couple more things that need some ironing out, before I'm completely happy with it. It's definitely something I want to go back to and finish up eventually though.

I like the look of it, the mechanical/fleshy monsters are cool and the characters have attractive designs.

AHA-Lambda

Could Rez ever come to PC?

Said this couple pages back :p

PSVR exclusivity details for various titles up on PS EU blog

ultimately what's most important is that Rez infinite is a timed exclusive, so Rez may indeed come to PC! :D

But yeah Rez is a timed PSVR exclusive so...

Umineko will definitely be my GOTY 2016.
Unless Chiru comes out this year.
It's just that good.
02d8c24830f84866a1f1fbcd057232b321c548bf_hq.gif

What part of the game was that??

Real talk though, both it, Danganronpa 1+2 and Steins Gate are shoe ins for my top 10
Damn, half my list aren't even really games :/

Bioshock: The Remastered Collection has a patch. Here are the notes:

BioShock 1

- Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
- 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
- Resolved several graphical issues on NVidia hardware
- New Graphics options available for lower-end machines
- Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed
- Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
- Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
- Settings will no longer automatically reset on improperly shutting down BioShock
- Speaker Mode should now be selectable from the Audio Options Menu
- Fixed an initialization bug with Audio System.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes

BioShock 2

- Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
- 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
- Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed.
- Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
- Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
- DirectX 11 Performance improvements
- Fixed several graphical issues with Occlusion Culling.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes

rtcn63

I'm watching GI's test chamber of Mafia 3- the guns don't sound great. The gameplay in general seems to take a backseat to the narrative, like an interactive novel.

Also, Lincoln is yoked.

DS2 SOTFS for 10€ is a historical low, right?
Should I bite?
I think I'll bite

Hmm
4ymp3.jpg

Dark Souls 3 for €39 or DS2 SotFS for €10.... I have a Souls itch that needs scratching (played vanilla DS2 on PS3), and €39 for DS3 is still a little steep for me currently.

DSII is indeed tempting. And it's all time lower as well. But I'm not planning to play the game anytime soon. Decisions.

Who was it who had the list with recommended words to filter out for GAF?

already filtered out "VR"

Will the NX
What if the NX
Is NX

Mario
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Smash

Spoiler thread
Oculus
Vive
PSVR

Sarcasm

Tempted to get Dark Souls II: SoTF. I played it for 8+ hours via family share and didn't really like it. I've beaten the others, even 100% DS3.

Adnor

Banned
Someone wants to try the coop of Sniper Elite 3 during the weekend? I'm downloading it and I guess I'll wait for the patch to play Mafia 3.

Jawmuncher

Anyone know if The Evil Within runs better on pc now? I have the ps4 version and that one ran like poo.

I played it back on launch and it ran fine on a 2gb 660 locked at 1080P and 60FPS with the full screen option. I'm sure if you're rocking higher than that it'll run fine.

Adnor

Banned
Do we have a Discord SteamGAF group chat or something like that to form groups to spontaneously form game parties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom