• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it even worth $5?

Yeah, it's worth it for that.

The nemesis system is really interesting for a little while, but you'll catch on the unrealized potential it had fairly early in the game.
While you're still underpowered, infiltrating the little strongholds around the map can be pretty tense, making the graphic kill scenes feel like a reward. You'll hit a point that the game sort of trivializes itself, though.

It's not perfect. But it was unexpectedly good, thus the hype around the initial release. There's this after-the-fact shitting on it that you'll see around because it's the thing to do for cool folks, but if you like LOTR in a very general sense and you want a sandbox-ish stealth orc killing simulator, 5 bucks is well spent here.

EDIT: Tizoc and I on the same page about calling it an orc killing/slaying simulator! Let's finish each other's sentences. I'll start:

Anime is...

Tizoc

Yeah, it's worth it for that.

The nemesis system is really interesting for a little while, but you'll catch on the unrealized potential it had fairly early in the game.
While you're still underpowered, infiltrating the little strongholds around the map can be pretty tense, making the graphic kill scenes feel like a reward. You'll hit a point that the game sort of trivializes itself, though.

It's not perfect. But it was unexpectedly good, thus the hype around the initial release. There's this after-the-fact shitting on it that you'll see around because it's the thing to do for cool folks, but if you like LOTR in a very general sense and you want a sandbox-ish stealth orc killing simulator, 5 bucks is well spent here.

EDIT: Tizoc and I on the same page about calling it an orc killing/slaying simulator! Let's finish each other's sentences. I'll start:

Anime is...
The term used to refer to animated series or movies from Japan

But to add regarding more doors
Id say for $5 it is worth it i mean even if u enjoy it for 5-10 hours you got your money's worth :p

KainXVIII

Slightly Magic is on Steam...I can't remember the last time nostalgia hit me so hard.

u8b_NbNYyz29cFbopR8Tz1YWUOc_TEjLdDowQW4DPpFxTLTtwzeZusgd30Zy_qktqg=h310

Dem feels! Played it in 48k version and holy shit how 128k was better (music, much richer backgrounds etc..)
Hope that Dizzy Collection hit steam someday.

This is what I have done every month so far.

Meanwhile, I find myself inevitably selling a few keys in the BST thread every month. I don't know why I even continue to subscribe when I end up getting a bunch of duplicates every month and the quality of the last couple of bundles has been suspect to say the least.

r3n4ud

Meanwhile, I find myself inevitably selling a few keys in the BST thread every month. I don't know why I even continue to subscribe when I end up getting a bunch of duplicates every month and the quality of the last couple of bundles has been suspect to say the least.
Same here. Out of the last few bundles I end up with one or two games I don't have.

Parsnip

Anyone have an idea on how to fix Dark Souls 2 SOTFS crashing on start-up?
Just crashes immediately with "Dark Souls 2 has stopped working". Tried verifying game-cache, running as administrator, compatiblity mode, reinstalling redistributables, activating GPU Scaling in the Radeon Settings (came up by googling as a potential fix), but nothing worked.

...Not exactly a good first impression.
Did you try disabling any overlays, Win10 gamebar, stuff like that?

so while mafia 3 doesn't unlock i'm playing seasons after fall, and man, this game is pretty good. Shame that nobody seems to have noticed it. Nice (and simple) story, good VA, great controls and fun puzzles, decent soundtrack and it's GORGEOUS. Just don't really like the pacing (although by the end it's better)

some screens:

Am I imagining things, or is there a pixel-art platformer with an incredibly similar premise (fox, changing seasons, etc)?

Oh, it's this. This looks great too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642132442

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was this already discussed here? The Washington State Gambling Commission has informed Valve that they need to immediately cease actions that allow eSports betting sites to proliferate on Steam.

http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/press-releases/valve-pressrelease.pdf

The Washington State Gambling Commission has notified Valve Corporation that it must immediately stop allowing the transfer of virtual weapons known as “skins” for gambling activities through the company’s Steam Platform.

I guess that makes their recent roll-out of limited-time-use sprays even more ill-conceived.

Valve Corporation has until October 14, 2016 to respond and explain how it is in full compliance with Washington’s gambling laws or it will risk having the Gambling Commission take additional civil or criminal action against the company.

Maybe we'll know something by this time next week.

Xanathus

In case anyone here plays Vermintide, they just opened up a Steam opt-in beta which lets you play the Quests & Contracts update. Progress carries over to when the full version comes out.

Kaleinc

Banned
Was this already discussed here? The Washington State Gambling Commission has informed Valve that they need to immediately cease actions that allow eSports betting sites to proliferate on Steam.

http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/press-releases/valve-pressrelease.pdf

I guess that makes their recent roll-out of limited-time-use sprays even more ill-conceived.

Maybe we'll know something by this time next week.
3 months later, the official response from Valve.

Dear Washington State Gambling Commission,
update directX, verify game cache files.

Ascheroth

Did you try disabling any overlays, Win10 gamebar, stuff like that?

Yes, disabling the Steam Overlay was one of the first things it did. Have no other overlay active as well to my knowledge. No idea what the Gamebar was before googling it, but I've disabled it now and it changed nothing. <.<

Tried activating GPU Scaling, setting Surface Formet Optimization to off, moved the installation to C, but nothing works.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam overhaul October 13th ;)

Steam Dev Days is next week, so maybe we'll hear something about it then. Also the new site overhaul iteration is rumored to go live sometime next week as well.

I'll be surprised if that includes anything in regards to this, though. Most likely all that will come of this is Valve going "look, we shut down API access to a lot of different sites!" but something tells me they'll only be able to keep up with that excuse for so long before they get got by the man

Steam Dev Days is next week, so maybe we'll hear something about it then. Also the new site overhaul iteration is rumored to go live sometime next week as well.

I'll be surprised if that includes anything in regards to this, though. Most likely all that will come of this is Valve going "look, we shut down API access to a lot of different sites!" but something tells me they'll only be able to keep up with that excuse for so long before they get got by the man

Come on. They at least changed the color to the weekly deal banner.

"Its something!"

MUnited83

For you.

jshackles

They better not Touch the CS GO key market.

Particularly troubling is this

Washington State Gambling Commissioner Chris Stearns said “In Washington, and everywhere else in the United States, skins betting on esports remains a large, unregulated black market for gambling. And that carries great risk for the players who remain wholly unprotected in an unregulated environment. We are also required to pay attention to and investigate the risk of underage gambling which is especially heightened in the esports world. It is our sincere hope that Valve will not only comply but also take proactive steps to work with the Commission on future measures that will benefit the public and protect consumers.”

They pulled the "think of the children" card which is particularly effective in US politics.

jshackles

It'll be interesting to see valve actually have to change some things due to higher forces

As much as they tout consumer advocacy and safety, the real reason the gambling commission is interested in Steam has to do with dollar signs. "Regulated gambling" typically means "a cut back to the state in the form of higher tax withholding" aka "gimme some of that sweet sweet cash". As it's unlikely they would be able to force sites like CSGO Lounge or others to comply with US gambling / tax regulations (as they mostly take place overseas) they are instead focusing on the revenue generated by Valve as a byproduct of the esports gambling.

Valve is a company with a lot of resources that in cases like this might typically be spent "lobbying"
bribing
State offices to help change these laws to their needs, as that's typically cheaper than complying with them. Some other larger companies say "F this" and simply move to a different state or even country where the laws or officials might be more favorable.

Very rarely do these types of things go to the point of actually enacting any change that results in these companies generating less revenue. Unless of course Valve volunteers to do so, or decides that lobbying or moving isn't worth the hassle.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Particularly troubling is this

They pulled the "think of the children" card which is particularly effective in US politics.

Also it is in the case of CS:GO very very likely that children are actually engaging in these activities. This might be the first instance where thinking about the kids is actually relevant. That said, obviously not every person involved is underage, and as usual the authorities are the last to actually realize what is going on.

I've been wondering how the mobile market has escaped regulation for so long. SO MANY GAMES have the "gatcha" style or slot machine style rewards that I can't see any possible way that stuff can be defended as not gambling. Slot machines are literally the definition of a thing that is regulated as gambling. And there is so much potential for rigged systems in those kinds of games. I guess I'm just more interested in the wider application of labeling this kind of stuff as "gambling" then what actually happens to CS:GO

Nzyme32

Not that it means much, but on Twitter the other day it seemed as though one of the writters at Valve was suggesting they have a bunch of stuff lined up, but I assume that is more game / content stuff than Steam itself. can't recall the tweet

Edit - here

KxiJX1D.png

68WZeGl.png

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

This is really funny from my perspective, but the feds came down on fantasy sport gambling sites hard. Like, serious fines and damages.

So, Valve does have to fess up.

Wok

I am old style and I have a really hard time trying to convince myself that gambling practices are NOT inherent parts of the most successful F2P business models to milk the whale.

Or to put it more simply: I see hidden gambling business models everywhere these days.

Edit: For context, I used to be a Dota2 beluga.

Unai

So I was just about to start Baldurs Gate 2 and Minsc acted like he knew me, so I realize that I might have missed a bit in Baldurs Gate 1, and I can't let go of that feeling that I should go back to it and tie up some loose ends before going to 2, should I bother?

I also imported my character from the first game and I was the same level in 2. I guess the game scales up to match me, but wouldn't that make the game kind of weird?

Since you have already played BG1 I would say it's no worth to go back just because of Minsc. I don't think there are enough banter to justifie it. The canon party was
Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen
. Maybe just read about their history in BG1 in a wiki or something for those that you didn't use.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I am old style and I have a really hard time trying to convince myself that gambling practices are NOT inherent parts of the most successful F2P business models to milk the whale.

Or to put it more simply: I see hidden gambling business models everywhere these days.

I think it's more ebay than gambling per se.

Monooboe

Since you have already played BG1 I would say it's no worth to go back just because of Minsc. I don't think there are enough banter to justifie it. The canon party was
Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen
. Maybe just read about their history in BG1 in a wiki or something for those that you didn't use.

I tried to go back to BG1 and played a bit until I started getting a bunch of bugs because I no longer had the mods installed. So I'm playing BG2 and wow, the polish over BG1 is so stark. Also the game feels more open, directly in the begining I don't have a quest and no idea where to go, which is nice to just wander around.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more ebay than gambling per se.

It is barely hidden roulette. The old key and crate system especially. Nearly every F2P game has some kind of system that could pretty easily be seen as gambling if you look at it hard enough. I doubt anyone actually takes action about it though, too much money involved for Apple/Google/whoever to actually step in.

Nzyme32

To this day, I've never bought anything in F2P games and I've played plenty of them.

2x Dota2 compendium across 2 years

That's it.

The only other microtransaction I paid for was the Kelly Baily music pack in CSGO, because that was awesome

jshackles

This is really funny from my perspective, but the feds came down on fantasy sport gambling sites hard. Like, serious fines and damages.

So, Valve does have to fess up.

Honestly all I personally expect to see from this is Valve shutting down more gambling site's API access, or possibly enacting more restrictions on who can obtain that access in the first place. It seems like a reasonable restriction to simply shut down market-based APIs completely, or to restrict them to developer-only token keys - meaning Valve would personally have to vet users requesting access to the API.

But of course doing so would essentially shut down the larger gambling sites which would have a significant impact on the marketplace which would have a significant impact on their revenue.

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) happens here.

Wok

It is barely hidden roulette. The old key and crate system especially. Nearly every F2P game has some kind of system that could pretty easily be seen as gambling if you look at it hard enough. I doubt anyone actually takes action about it though, too much money involved for Apple/Google/whoever to actually step in.

There are other mechanics. Gambling of in-game currency to get points to level up compendium, which could otherwise be bought. A bit stretched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom