• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

City 17

Would steam recognize/setup my games (or at least most of them) if I reinstall my windows and install steam in the same drive/address... so that I wouldn't have to re-download 2TBs of games?

data

Would steam recognize/setup my games (or most of them) if I reinstall my windows and install steam in the same drive/address... without re-downloading 2TBs of games?

I tried this, but it wouldn't automatically recognize any of my games. And if I mass installed them it would just download them. So I had to install one by one, so it could discover existing files.

Ludens

Banned
Downloading Sniper Elite 3 right now. Is it true that coop sucks because of the lack of saving? I don't want to repeat missions over and over because you can't save. With everyone having busy schedules there is only so much time I have for multiplayer.

I just finished the game, it's not too long (8 missions) and I played on the easier difficulty setting.
Just some tips:
-you NEED to play stealthy otherwise you'll die a lot and you will lost a LOT of time because
-checkpoint system simply sucks. I don't know why they studied a checkpoint system like this, checkpoints are too far away, often the game doesn't even save when you clear an objective, so if you die you need to do all over again.

The game itself is good, a carbon copy of Sniper elite v2, graphics are nice too.

hohoXD123

I understand now why people are so keen on DRM-free games now that steam has crapped out on me and I can't access anything.

Would steam recognize/setup my games (or at least most of them) if I reinstall my windows and install steam in the same drive/address... so that I wouldn't have to re-download 2TBs of games?

For me it was hit and miss, steam would recognise some games and wouldn't need to download them again, whilst for others it would remove the local files and download.

Purkake4

Banned
Was listening to the Roundtable podcast where they were discussing Mafia 3. I thought it was just kind of janky, but sounds like it's straight up unfinished.

Nzyme32

Does the Walking Dead Season 2 have several endings? If so:

- How many?
- It depends on decisions earlier in the game or it's a last moment decision? (ala Mass Effect 3)

Thanks!

LOL

Telltale games -- your decisions having an effect on the ending: Does Not Compute!

LOL

5 endings, all leading to very different outcomes unlike prior games - however season 3 looks like it will be so far ahead of 2, that the endibgs are inconsequential

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If Steam is installed on a non-OS drive, then just leave it alone.You'll get an error when first launching Steam post-Windows reinstall, but it's smart enough to fix itself.

If you have Steam installed on your OS drive but use a different drive for games, then, after reinstalling Windows and Steam (alternatively, back up the Steam folder prior to reinstalling Windows and put it back yourself, which is what you'll want to do if you also use the default library folder), point it to that folder using the Library Folders feature (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders) and they'll automagically appear in your library -- e.g. if you install games to D:\Games, then select D:\Games as the library folder (don't go any further, into the SteamApps or common folders).

Ban Puncher

Florida Man ain't so bad.

6oE77yi.gif

City 17

I tried this, but it wouldn't automatically recognize any of my games. And if I mass installed them it would just download them. So I had to install one by one, so it could discover existing files.

I understand now why people are so keen on DRM-free games now that steam has crapped out on me and I can't access anything.

For me it was hit and miss, steam would recognise some games and wouldn't need to download them again, whilst for others it would remove the local files and download.

If Steam is installed on a non-OS drive, then just leave it alone.You'll get an error when first launching Steam post-Windows reinstall, but it's smart enough to fix itself.

If you have Steam installed on your OS drive but use a different drive for games, then, after reinstalling Windows and Steam (alternatively, back up the Steam folder prior to reinstalling Windows and put it back yourself, which is what you'll want to do if you also use the default library folder), point it to that folder using the Library Folders feature (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders) and they'll automagically appear in your library -- e.g. if you install games to D:\Games, then select D:\Games as the library folder (don't go any further, into the SteamApps or common folders).

Thank you.
It's on a non-OS drive, you saved me some trouble!

5 endings, all leading to very different outcomes unlike prior games - however season 3 looks like it will be so far ahead of 2, that the endibgs are inconsequential
Will never get this mindset. The ending matters for that game and that individual player. It's a reflection of what you did for that game; the nature of Season 3 doesnt suddenly make Season 2 inconsequential.

Nillansan

You've earned my respect. Big props to you.
Coincidentally just recently a friend of mine pointed me towards Frozlunky for online coop. Sounds good but I have yet to try it out. If it works well with my friend, I'd be down for doing it with you too!

Sounds good to me. Thanks for linking me to the modification.

Levyne

Banned
Slain 2 footage already?

Welcome to Mortal Kombat AI.

How does one use DSR? I bought a 1070 but haven't really messed around with that and I've just been using my old custom resolutions of 1440p and 4k.

Go to Nvidia control panel (not GeForce experience) and you'll see the option to enable the resolutions in the same area (3d settings?) as the options for triple buffering, texture filtering, etc. Then they will just show up in your games.

Though I'm not sure what would happen if you have both a 4k custom resolution and a dsr 4k resolution. I think it would show up in your game twice.

The default smoothness factor is 33, I would set it down a tad, like to 18 or so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve says it's aware that the unlock countdown timer is an hour off and is "investigating the issue further".

The issue:
Yeah, I just submitted a support ticket about that. The problem is that Valve added "This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour" into the mix to make it clearer that there's one hour or less to go until release, however instead of replacing "This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour", it's set to appear afterwards, meaning every countdown timer on every store page is off by an hour.

Wok

yeah been waiting for ernesto forever (and storyteller more than anything)

those games are made by cool people

Fidel is Ernesto but with a dog instead of a man as the main protagonist.

The game is Spelunky for puzzle games. Procedural levels, heart management, and a freaking ghost chasing the dog when the hidden timer runs out.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Here's a story for you steamgaf. I noticed my CPU temperatures were quite high--where it was hitting the temp cap and throttling. Figured it could use a good cleaning, but that it'd been so long since I'd applied the thermal paste it could probably stand to be replaced. So I take apart my rig, pop the heatsink off, give it a good cleaning (it looked pretty burnt out, I guess) and go to put it back on. My heatsink does not like being put on. It's an old i5 default heatsink. Much struggling, I don't quite get it on but figure it's good enough. It's not. Computer starts shutting down after about thirty seconds. I figure struggling to get the heatsink on has bent the motherboard out of shape and busted something. After awhile of fiddling, I calm down and try to re-do the heatsink so that it's actually making contact. Few test runs to confirm that was indeed the cause of the shutdowns, back in business. Now to check my new low temps! ...They are slightly better.

The moral of the story is of course to always solve your problems by buying all new hardware.

Will never get this mindset. The ending matters for that game and that individual player. It's a reflection of what you did for that game; the nature of Season 3 doesnt suddenly make Season 2 inconsequential.

I read an article a few years back that I thought captured a misunderstood aspect of the Telltale titles; They're very much role playing games. Choosing the emotional reaction of your character counts for something. You're defining who they are in a real way. It'd be nice to pair it with more varied mechanical results, but it's not "meaningless."

Good Luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number -- MB-E02E29C0E3C2A4F2 - Taken by Hakkelus. 33 entrants total.

t1475951477z1.png

Go to Nvidia control panel (not GeForce experience) and you'll see the option to enable the resolutions in the same area (3d settings?) as the options for triple buffering, texture filtering, etc. Then they will just show up in your games.

Though I'm not sure what would happen if you have both a 4k custom resolution and a dsr 4k resolution. I think it would show up in your game twice.

The default smoothness factor is 33, I would set it down a tad, like to 18 or so.

Thanks. Gonna give it a go in a bit.

Restarted Soma with Wuss Mode on PC. It runs better than the PS4 did, but it's still struggling to hit 60 on my i5 6500/970 machine. Oh well.

Damn this game really hits hard. A lot of the story beats are just...fucked up. It really makes you think and feel in a powerful combination about the results of so many concepts. A lot of sci fi likes to address these concepts but none of them really delve into the psychological ramifications of them, and just how really unsettling the result is.

When you play with Wuss mode, it's basically just a very intense walking simulator, which is exactly how I think the game works best. Dealing with the enemies is just a distraction from the story, which is genuinely the star of the show.

Sulik2

Ok this is getting really annoying both times I have tried to play Deus Ex this week the updates won't download. Changing region starting, restarting. Nothing works. I have to just let it sit for a couple of hours and it eventually downloads. This time for a freaking 126MB patch. Anyone else have this happen with patching before? How do I fix it?

Grief.exe

Finished it! One of the most unique and compelling games I have played, but got slightly distracted by Kerbal and Elite Dangerous updates.

O8U27fB.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom