• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

1.2 GB

Patch 1.01 Ready for Download
8 OCTOBER - JOSEPHB2K

PC players, reboot Mafia III because patch 1.01 is now available for download. This patch includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options on PC. To select your framerate, just head to the display menu in-game. Just make sure to tailor the framerate settings to the power of your machine. This patch also includes improvements to keyboard remapping, so head to the controls menu to check out the options. Note: this patch resets keyboard mapping to default, so any changes you made to the controls previously will need to be customized after installing the patch.

We aren’t done with fixes and updates and will continue to listen to our community for ways to improve your experience in New Bordeaux. And check here [mafiagame.com] to see what content updates we have in the works, including outfit swapping, races, and more.

GaussTek

A lot of the features don't work on the community site in Firefox 49, sadly. This is because Valve specifically set a CSP on those pages that Firefox doesn't allow extensions to overwrite. This has been fixed in Firefox 50 however, which is currently in beta. For optimal performance, I recommend updating Firefox to version 50 or higher to enable most of Enhanced Steam's functionality.

Ahh, amazing, thanks, knew I was probably missing something lol, sorry if that was already mentioned before.

Will update to v50, don't mind that's still on beta. Thank you again, you rock!!

I managed to clear the story mode and I liked it but yeah, it's very hard.
After I beat it I read it's because the default difficulty setting for that mode is Medium, but the fact is, since I simply selected Story Mode, I didn't see the option to change the difficulty because it's buried into the menus.
So if you are struggling, you can change the difficulty.

The story itself is worthy, a bit weird like all Mortal Kombat games, bit confusing but very enjoyable.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm useless at the game so I had trouble just completing the first three chapters at the default difficulty. Will change it for the rest of the story. And yeah, the story is very corny and I'm still trying to make sense of it, but it is fun to play nonetheless.

Just dont get some of Netflixs 4K content. Watched the last Daredevil episode and first Luke Cage episode in 4k, but they are using a grain filter, similar to the old Silent Hill games, so while you can see some small details in the background better, the filter actually destroys the purpose of 4k.

mp1990

Banned
if u could which other open world game would u compare it most to?
Austin Walker compared it to The Godfather 2 on twitter, which sparked my interest immediately. Also saw several other people comparing to those licensed mafia games from the PS2 era, like Scarface and such.

Austin Walker compared it to The Godfather 2 on twitter, which sparked my interest immediately. Also saw several other people comparing to those licensed mafia games from the PS2 era, like Scarface and such.

Has Franziska been hanging out with the guys from that Bastille video?

rtcn63

The actress who plays Beth Wilder in Quantum Break was in a horror movie I watched awhile back. I remember it being pretty decent.

Prowl_2010_WS_R2_-front-www.GetCovers.net_-610x407.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shenzhen I/O -- MB-DDF6A0D5AF55BCF0 - Taken by Sarcasm. 40 entrants total.
From Zachtronics, makers of TIS-100 and SpaceChem. Early Access but basically complete.

t1475974420z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
Just dont get some of Netflixs 4K content. Watched the last Daredevil episode and first Luke Cage episode in 4k, but they are using a grain filter, similar to the old Silent Hill games, so while you can see some small details in the background better, the filter actually destroys the purpose of 4k.

i mean, watching Netflix 4K destroys the purpose of 4k.

rtcn63

Completely random but- trust no one not even yourself

latest

Also, if you want extreme, Tookie Williams (former leader of the Crips)

tookieyoung.jpg

etick_g_bobatbreaker_310.jpg

You jerks didn't mention the IRL version of Captain America, Bo fucking Jackson

He was so goddamn good during his peak of his career, Tecmo was in awe of him and made him goddamned OP in Tecmo Super Bowl

rtcn63

in a coma for weeks/months

loses no muscle mass

It would basically depend on whether he was getting enough protein and calories through his feeding tube. (Likely not enough, a big athletic guy like that would need 3000-4000+ cals a day easy) Otherwise, muscle doesn't magically disappear if you aren't active for a bit.

Dr Dogg

Seeing that "Linus tried 8K gaming" thread had me thinking 'psshh that's soooo 2014' then I remembered I was playing Mass Effect and Dead Space at 15360x8640 back then (well sort off). Time to dig out some screenies of 8K downsampled captures.

Due to some of FFXIII's quirks I played most of that locked to 30 @ 7680x4320.

Finished it! One of the most unique and compelling games I have played, but got slightly distracted by Kerbal and Elite Dangerous updates.

O8U27fB.png

Probably going to make my top 5 this year despite being a decade old.

Seeing that "Linus tried 8K gaming" thread had me thinking 'psshh that's soooo 2014' then I remembered I was playing Mass Effect and Dead Space at 15360x8640 back then (well sort off). Time to dig out some screenies of 8K downsampled captures.

Damn.. that's downright gorgeous

Tenrius

Where are screenshots 2, 3 and 4 from?

Shenzhen I/O -- MB-DDF6A0D5AF55BCF0 - Taken by Sarcasm. 40 entrants total.
I'm simultaneously disappointed it wasn't me and gleeful someone else gets to experience Zachtronics goodness. I'm also happy there were 40 entrants. Good to see excitement for Shenzen.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I'll do one shameless bump since I have a few new things for the project, I feel a bit embarrassed since it's just my little Halloween project to bring attention to it, but Greenlight kind of requires you to put yourself out there for judgement of others.

Hollow Bliss on Steam Greenlight and all of that.

So trying not to show too much, but released a 10-minute gameplay video that shows the first 10-20 minutes of the game (with cut out segments). Try not to show too much but how the basic groundwork of exploration works in the game, and talk about the game's branching paths and systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDoTRNg0Sz0

Also released a series of new screens:

Hoping some people enjoy it when it hits, trying to put a lot in it. My expectation is the game will be 3-6 hours for most people, though that does depend what the player partakes in, how deep they go, and what they uncover.

(Jawmuncher was also kind and decided to make a topic on this, though I admit to being a bit embarrassed over it since it's just my small little project and I have definite limitations as a developer, but can find that thread here. Also posted this there.)

Almost to the end of TW1 - Tell me, does TW2 or 3 have anyone who's half as BRO™ as Vincent?

So I'll do one shameless bump since I have a few new things for the project, I feel a bit embarrassed since it's just my little Halloween project to bring attention to it, but Greenlight kind of requires you to put yourself out there for judgement of others.

Is the SNES-esque tiling and object placement an artistic choice or an engine limitation?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is the SNES-esque tiling and object placement an artistic choice or an engine limitation?

Combination of the two, like... Here's one of my test maps where I'm testing some models I've imported into the game:

cab7641c198c37826a56e781dacd13d4.png

Some are more or less in the style, but there's a reason for this (the game even utilizes some actual 16-bit sprites for a segment, which does have a reason). The engine has some limitations, especially for now. Its a recent engine and the developers are releasing bi-weekly updates for it. I have been studying a lot of engines recently to expand what I can do despite my limitations.

I decided for my Halloween project to work with SMILE, partially since it was easy to pick up on as basically everything I needed to know about it I had already picked up from studying the Ledworks Engine (for the 3D elements, SMILE & Ledworks use almost the exact same model limitations, same format, etc.), and RPG Maker (which the engine is inspired by but to try and make a '3D' version). Right now the engine has severe limitations, but I think good horror can be made out of limitations. Match that with my limited 3D modelling capability, and the sort of desire to make a pseudo '3D SNES' horror game, and this is what's coming to fruition out of it.

Rage quit Ass Creed IV again. I lost count how many.

Climb up some ship mast to kill a scout and you can't get to the platform because of the animation overrides.

So went to another mast to run across and the game decides I am jumping for the ocean instead.

Third attempt I drop down but am slightly off so I press the grab button but it decided to auto-grab so it queued the grab into a drop. Hit the ground, lost life, got backstabbed by a fatty and lost more life. Then died at the top of the mechanical lift thingie from some unknown damage.

Climb up some ship mast to kill a scout and you can't get to the platform because of the animation overrides.

So went to another mast to run across and the game decides I am jumping for the ocean instead.

Third attempt I drop down but am slightly off so I press the grab button but it decided to auto-grab so it queued the grab into a drop. Hit the ground, lost life, got backstabbed by a fatty and lost more life. Then died at the top of the mechanical lift thingie from some unknown damage.

I always love it when I'm trying to escape a group and I just brush past a wall and the game decides to stop everything and what I really meant was that I want to run up and down this wall in the middle of a chase. Sometimes it even decides to do it twice.

You could just shoot them from the safety of your boat.

Here we go with impressions for Secret Order 2: Masked Intent.

The story: (Full disclosure: I didn't play Secret Order 1, nor is it even available on Steam at this point.) The story was quite confusing, possibly because I didn't play the first game or possibly because it was just plain written badly...or maybe even I wasn't paying close enough attention. But from what I gathered, you play Sarah (no last name,) a member of the Order of the Griffins (or maybe your dad is just a member,) some kind of secret society with access to time travel. Your dad calls you because they inducted Nathan Williams, their "youngest member ever" (despite being bald and looking significantly older than the other members) into the Secret Five (which I think is some kind of subset of the Griffins) whereafter he instantly betrays them with the Mask of Macguffiny Doom. But hark! There's a Scepter of Macguffiny Righteousness that keeps the mask in check...so off you go to find it and stop Nathan. It involves going back to the past to play a shitty game that sucks ass to find a prisoner and the scepter, and fix the problems and obstacles that get in your way. I guess.

It needed to be told better, bottom line. If it relied on knowledge from the first game, then that needed to be ported first. But it feels like storywise this doesn't stand on its own.

The graphics: Passable. Cutscenes look kinda dated. Falls into the same trap as the Time Mysteries 1 port where a few clickable hidden objects stick out too much. But this one isn't as severe. The multiple graphic styles can sometimes clash. You'll get a grainy cutscene where someone's talking with no facial animation, then some characters have a standard dialogue scene, then you get some that are super close up and you get uncanny valley right in the face. I wasn't prepared for that creepy vendor lady.

The dialogue and audio: Dialogue is okay, no serious problems. The voice acting isn't great. The female protagonist sounds the same in each game and her emotions seem forced. Others do better, like Christopher, your wheelchair-bound sidekick. The music is actually good in this one.

The gameplay and puzzles: As I said, some of the hidden object games are flawed. The inventory puzzles were alright. The minigames actually provided a fair challenge, which is always nice to see. I was playing on expert mode so your mileage may vary.

The length: Steam says I took 4.1 hours to beat the game. Got all the achievements without needing to replay to mop any up. No bonus chapter. Still a respectable length.

The verdict: It's actually pretty solid despite the confusing opening. It wasn't developed by Artifex Mundi, but it was published by them, and it's almost worthy of them. I give it a slight recommendation, but you might want to wait until 1 shows up...and you'll want to brace yourself for that vendor lady.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Temper Tantrum -- MB-8425478293BFCB6F - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Removed from Steam. This is a digital homicide turd.
Forsaken Uprising -- MB-09F98EC9501877C2 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
Removed from Steam. This is a digital homicide turd.

t1475986838z1.png

Hollow Bliss on Steam Greenlight and all of that.

So trying not to show too much, but released a 10-minute gameplay video that shows the first 10-20 minutes of the game (with cut out segments). Try not to show too much but how the basic groundwork of exploration works in the game, and talk about the game's branching paths and systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDoTRNg0Sz0

Also released a series of new screens:

Hoping some people enjoy it when it hits, trying to put a lot in it. My expectation is the game will be 3-6 hours for most people, though that does depend what the player partakes in, how deep they go, and what they uncover.

(Jawmuncher was also kind and decided to make a topic on this, though I admit to being a bit embarrassed over it since it's just my small little project and I have definite limitations as a developer, but can find that thread here. Also posted this there.)

Hope it is up in time for Halloween~

I'm curious, when people say The Witcher's combat is bad, is it because the entire game can be breezed through on Hard with a small set of Catch-All's?

I've gotten to Chapter 4 on Hard using nothing but Aard and Igni with an occasional Mouse-1.

Cus otherwise, the combat's no worse than any other Infinity Aurora Odyssey Eclipse [Insert funky Bioware (RIP) RPG engine name here] Engine CRPG, like KOTOR or DAOrigins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom