• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm curious, when people say The Witcher's combat is bad, is it because the entire game can be breezed through on Hard with a small set of Catch-All's?

I've gotten to Chapter 4 on Hard using nothing but Aard and Igni with an occasional Mouse-1.

Cus otherwise, the combat's no worse than any other Infinity Aurora Odyssey Eclipse [Insert funky Bioware (RIP) RPG engine name here] Engine CRPG, like KOTOR or DAOrigins.

Why are you equating quality with difficulty?

Phinor

I'm curious, when people say The Witcher's combat is bad, is it because the entire game can be breezed through on Hard with a small set of Catch-All's?

I've gotten to Chapter 4 on Hard using nothing but Aard and Igni with an occasional Mouse-1.

Cus otherwise, the combat's no worse than any other Infinity Aurora Odyssey Eclipse [Insert funky Bioware (RIP) RPG engine name here] Engine CRPG, like KOTOR or DAOrigins.

Most people who say that (including me) compare the combat to Souls/Borne series and Witcher 3 absolutely completely loses that fight when it comes to how tight the controls are, how good it feels to play, move and fight. Witcher 3 combat isn't bad, but the bar is just a bit higher than what Witcher 3 achieves in that sense. There's depth in Witcher 3 but I never felt completely in control, maybe the animations were a bit too long and hits didn't quite feel like they were connecting. It just didn't feel as good to play.

Now Witcher 3 is an action game so comparing it to DA:Origins and such doesn't feel right to me even though both are basically direct control games. They just feel like different genres. It's weird when I start thinking about it, why do I criticize the combat in Witcher 3 when DA:Origins plays much the same, but worse? Now if we add Dragon Age Inquisition into the mix, that game I consider to be in the same genre as Witcher 3 and I really dislike DA:I combat. Now why do I consider DA:Origins and DA:I to be games of different genre? There's a mystery right there. Still, I consider DA:Origins to be a great if not fantastic game, DA:I to be garbage and with both games my enjoyment/dislike starts with the combat.

Corpekata

Banned
Most people who say that (including me) compare the combat to Souls/Borne series and Witcher 3 absolutely completely loses that fight when it comes to how tight the controls are, how good it feels to play, move and fight. Witcher 3 combat isn't bad, but the bar is just a bit higher than what Witcher 3 achieves in that sense. There's depth in Witcher 3 but I never felt completely in control, maybe the animations were a bit too long and hits didn't quite feel like they were connecting. It just didn't feel as good to play.

Now Witcher 3 is an action game so comparing it to DA:Origins and such doesn't feel right to me even though both are basically direct control games. They just feel like different genres. It's weird when I start thinking about it, why do I criticize the combat in Witcher 3 when DA:Origins plays much the same, but worse? Now if we add Dragon Age Inquisition into the mix, that game I consider to be in the same genre as Witcher 3 and I really dislike DA:I combat. Now why do I consider DA:Origins and DA:I to be games of different genre? There's a mystery right there. Still, I consider DA:Origins to be a great if not fantastic game, DA:I to be garbage and with both games my enjoyment/dislike starts with the combat.

Think he's talking about Witcher 1. Witcher 3 IIRC doesn't have a chapter 4.

Why are you equating quality with difficulty?

I wasn't. I was speaking more of being able to just use the same strategy on everything without fail. That's an issue of variety.

Think he's talking about Witcher 1. Witcher 3 IIRC doesn't have a chapter 4.

There's a Witcher 1? What crazy conspiracy theory are you going to tell me next? There's a Persona 1 and 2?

But yeah, basically reduced everything to this flowchart of mine:

8878dcbc66.png

Now, obviously I've stuck around because it's obvious it wasn't the combat this game is famous for. It's been a long time since I played an RPG with as much emphasis on decisions and consequences as this. I really miss Bioware and the other RPG devs that used to make RPGs like this. Wonder what happened to them.

It ought be noted that I am the Cheese King and have had a knack for accidentally stumbling into game-breaking builds and strategies for a long time. I beat the infamous Dead Rising on my first campaign run on nothing but exploits that I figured out on my own. Some of which don't have any notable documentation even ten years after release.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-C93A34FC4409424D - Taken by Jadax. 11 entrants total.

t1476037907z1.png

The secret to Grim Dawn is channeling all of your power and skills into two-handed weapons and then turning the enemies before you into a fine red mist before they can finish killing you. Bonus points for lifesteal.

It's so good.
Tried playing Souls 3 PVP again. Yep still bullshit and full of phantom hits.

Now I remember why I only play co-op or PVE.

Are invaders still ice skating or did they fix that? It completely broke online for me.

Edit: Bah. What a bummer.

It's not optimal, but you can still adapt and have loads of fun.

Don't give up on it just yet, imo!

How much PvP have you played?
Nah I'm good I don't have time to adapt and work plus school. I've played a good amount of PvP throughout all 3 games but Souls 2 always felt the best without a ton of ghosting.

The single player is the only reason to play these games imo but that's fine, I really really like the single player.

^ no ice skating but you'll roll away from an attack and still take damage but not flinch, making parries impossible to time right, etc. Very irritating to hit someone and hear the sound, grunt, blood, but not do any damage at all and no flinch.

Nah I'm good I don't have time to adapt and work plus school. I've played a good amount of PvP throughout all 3 games but Souls 2 always felt the best without a ton of ghosting.

The single player is the only reason to play these games imo but that's fine, I really really like the single player.

^ no ice skating but you'll roll away from an attack and still take damage but not flinch, making parries impossible to time right, etc. Very irritating to hit someone and hear the sound, grunt, blood, but not do any damage at all and no flinch.
Yeah, I feel you. I really hope they implement dedicated servers in the future, but I guess it's too much to hope for when it comes to 1v1 PvP. On the other hand, P2P should be able to work better than this.

valouris

Got a new system so it's time to get back on the Steam OT! It's a shame it is stuck in the Community section because I don't frequent there, but I am going to bookmark it this time.

Quick question: is there any way to have filters for your game library in the Steam app? Is there any skin that can do that? For example, use tags/filters to only show FPS games, or to only show multiplayer games etc.

Ascheroth

Got a new system so it's time to get back on the Steam OT! It's a shame it is stuck in the Community section because I don't frequent there, but I am going to bookmark it this time.

Quick question: is there any way to have filters for your game library in the Steam app? Is there any skin that can do that? For example, use tags/filters to only show FPS games, or to only show multiplayer games etc.

http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ should do that.
Sadly no way to do this directly in the client though, it's something Valve should really include.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What site do people use to keep track of new bundles? The Indie Bundle Tracker Steam group is rather useless these days, often posting bundles days late, which is particularly annoying when it comes to Indie Gala bundles, or not at all (Groupees' BAGB 49, for instance -- thanks, fellas).

What site do people use to keep track of new bundles? The Indie Bundle Tracker Steam group is rather useless these days, often posting bundles days late, which is particularly annoying when it comes to Indie Gala bundles, or not at all (Groupees' BAGB 49, for instance -- thanks, fellas).

I just use the individual bundle official steam groups. Indiegala is pretty good at updating straight away groupees less so.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
WARMACHINE: Tactics - Standard Edition -- MB-122EF0DF3C62480D - Taken by anastef
Richard & Alice -- MB-DD026812A4DD0448 - Taken by nightstorm
The Charnel House Trilogy -- MB-8F91C0AE84B8031E - Taken by zkylon

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just use the individual bundle official steam groups. Indiegala is pretty good at updating straight away groupees less so.

Ah, that's an idea. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a bundle that wasn't hosted by Bundle Stars, Flying Bundle, Groupees, Indie Gala or Otaku Maker.

Edit: Spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Star Fields -- MB-A00066074EA3BE3B - Taken by bobnowhere
Veteran Combat -- MB-CF7B653A9B4E3D42 - Taken by Arthea
Gone in November -- MB-324FDB91E1AEF024 - Taken by zkylon
FootLOL: Epic Fail League -- MB-0BD9A8C5C7F6989B - Taken by laserlaser
Thunder Gun: Revenge of the Mutants -- MB-19F8012F02F4CD9F - Taken by Henry Swanson
Pulse Shift -- MB-98B3E67E20E799A7 - Taken by voodooray
Fatal Theory -- MB-CD9C34F57EA7D63A - Taken by septicore
ARM: Planetary Prospectors -- MB-D1F419B8A3C5C8DE - Taken by Diedac
Burst -- MB-A48C3B8FB4E9D108 - Taken by Hakkelus
Redeem the Itch.io key to retrieve your Steam key
Tales from the Void -- MB-4FBD6F5DE11CEB37 - Taken by rainking187

Nzyme32

It's my birthday - so:

cda1d1595f83e85a24e76e6be9af6b8d.jpg

lEwACD5.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nzyme32, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Snakebird -- MB-D13925B9A3A46D37 - Taken by Monooboe. 16 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Prison Architect -- MB-58935D297BF7F1B0 - Taken by MaxiLive. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Total War: SHOGUN 2 Collection -- MB-62B97776EA9AC01B - Taken by voodooray. 27 entrants total.
The Beginner's Guide -- MB-8FEC783EFAF50F34 - Taken by hohoXD123. 12 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-88CA86407073479B - Taken by Platy. 2 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-6EB4093807207BD4 - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-25AACC6E0FA21DEF - Taken by Dusk Golem. 6 entrants total.
Runestone Keeper -- MB-A7D3AB4A090DCC22 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-77E5F2C037AD23F9 - Taken by neonglow. 10 entrants total.
Road to Ballhalla -- MB-84C4149C14C6AD99 - Taken by Zeeman. 11 entrants total.
1001 Spikes -- MB-D578314B0BE549E3 - Taken by StrangeRoboMemory. 3 entrants total.

Devil Daggers -- MB-698D0EFFDEAB1B83 - Taken by KainXVIII. 17 entrants total.

t1476096074z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks for the games i took above and happy birthday

also wow ladykiller in a bind is tomorrow

and it's $30, yipes

Ludens

Banned
Happy birthday Nzyme!

So, I completed Transformers Devastation on Easy (after starting the game on Hard and having my ass kicked by the first boss).
I didn't like the game so much. It's not a bad game, just...average. It's around 3 hours long and still very repetitive, the city really is all the same, you face the same boss again and again, there's a lack of variation.
The gameplay is pretty much MG Rising: you have one stage, depending on where you go you can clear side missions. You can dodge, you can parry (if you buy a move), you can create new powerful weapons to equip and so on. Even the score system is pretty much the same, but I think doing all SSS on the hardest difficulty is simply impossibile, because there's too much stuff on the screen like laser, explosions, flashes etc and way too often the visibility is ZERO. When you face huge bosses you can't even see if they are attacking you because you simply can't see them since they are too big.

It's an enjoyable title for what it is, if you are a Transformers fan it has an added value based on nostalgia, but don't expect something curated like Rising.

Christie Love's GF is a internet acquaintance of mine from ten years ago.

She still posts on a smaller tree house forum that I go to every blue moon or so.

Knurek

I think 60fps is a gimmick like 3D. Its noticeable for the first few minutes, then becomes novelty. It also depends on artistic direction. 60 sometimes makes games look more cartoonish.

Whaaa...?

Tizoc

Happy birthday Nzyme!

So, I completed Transformers Devastation on Easy (after starting the game on Hard and having my ass kicked by the first boss).
I didn't like the game so much. It's not a bad game, just...average. It's around 3 hours long and still very repetitive, the city really is all the same, you face the same boss again and again, there's a lack of variation.
The gameplay is pretty much MG Rising: you have one stage, depending on where you go you can clear side missions. You can dodge, you can parry (if you buy a move), you can create new powerful weapons to equip and so on. Even the score system is pretty much the same, but I think doing all SSS on the hardest difficulty is simply impossibile, because there's too much stuff on the screen like laser, explosions, flashes etc and way too often the visibility is ZERO. When you face huge bosses you can't even see if they are attacking you because you simply can't see them since they are too big.

It's an enjoyable title for what it is, if you are a Transformers fan it has an added value based on nostalgia, but don't expect something curated like Rising.

There is Normal difficulty yo :V I had no issues beating enemies on Normal but Hard and higher is where the challenge is and how to get the better weapons.

dex3108

I overclocked my good old i7 2600K finally :D I went for 4.2GHz, max voltage is 1.280V. Idle temps are 33-35 degrees, LinX pushes temps up to 85 degrees, 3D Rendering is up to 65-67 degrees and Prime95 is same 65-67 degrees. i didn't run Prime or LinX that much (20 minutes max) but so far it looks like OC is stable. I will try few games when my GTX1060 arrives.

Ludens

Banned
There is Normal difficulty yo :V I had no issues beating enemies on Normal but Hard and higher is where the challenge is and how to get the better weapons.

I know, I also tried Normal and it was manageable without problems. But when I realize the game was repetitive (in chapter 3) I changed the difficulty to Easy to clean it as fast as possible.

Nzyme32

Happy Birthday. :)

Happy birthday! :)

Happy birthday mate! I hope you have a good one.

Ucchedavāda;219585011 said:
Happy birthday!

happy birthday Nzyme32

Happy b-day, Nzyme32!

Happy birthday Nzyme!

Happy Birthday! :)

Happy birthday!

Cheers guys!

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FORGE OF GODS FANTASTIC SIX PACK -- MB-2394C7A449F65365 - Taken by Kagemusha. 1 entrants total.

t1476025885z1.png

In the case you don't want to create a mmobomb account.

Anyway I started Dead Rising and...quitted it after 10 minutes. I played it so much on 360 back in days I realized I don't really want to do all over again, even because I remember the game way too well since I spent like 200 hours on it.
I noticed the game on PC is...too bright? Dunno if it's my impression, but I remember on 360 it was kinda grim, on Pc it looks too clean. Also the textures really didn't age well.

I've updated Enhanced Steam to version 8.9.1 for Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

Edge users will need to update their files manually from https://github.com/jshackles/Enhanced_Steam_Edge then click "Reload extension" in Edge.

1cvyM3A.png

Let me know if anyone runs into any issues.
Nice, been waiting for this. There's still a lot missing but I remember you noting it will be on par with ChromeES once FF50 hits, so all is good. Thanks for your work!
It's my birthday - so:

cda1d1595f83e85a24e76e6be9af6b8d.jpg

lEwACD5.png
Have a happy birthday Nzyme o/
Happy birthday!

Posting a picture to taunt zky:

http://i.imgur.com/Ff4rxZ5.png
Why, there is no Idris Elba in it?

;)

Arthea

Forge of Gods is an evil MMO, if you don't wanna end like me, don't fall for those free dlc!

On more serious note, it's kinda amazing that nobody of steamgaf plays it but me, I guess it shows that free stuff doesn't get played usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom