• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Or maybe WinStore games sales are doing a lot better than some people would've predicted/hoped.

Possibly, but as far as the game's overall sales are concerned, all we have is Microsoft saying it beat expectations, which is meaningless when those expectations haven't been quantified.

Xanathus

Possibly, but as far as the game's overall sales are concerned, all we have is Microsoft saying it beat expectations, which is meaningless when those expectations haven't been quantified.

I think it's just that people didn't buy it on day one because it wasn't on Steam, and now that it's out on Steam they know that it's a gimmicky mediocre game so they lost out on a lot of the people who blindly buy games on day one.

bjaelke

happy monday
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bjaelke, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Heaven's Hope -- MB-BCDEE9A35B3A4F80 - Taken by Monooboe. 3 entrants total.

t1476081792z1.png

Deques

Off topic question:
Is it possible to make Discord not open window on Windows startup? It can still start on startup, but I want don't it to open it's window

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Off topic question:
Is it possible to make Discord not open window on Windows startup? It can still start on startup, but I want don't it to open it's window

Windows? Open system tray/show hidden icons, right click the Discord icon, and click on "Run Discord when my computer starts" so it becomes unchecked.

Monooboe

I've actually started looking foreward to mondays to see what weekly deals Steam will have. By the way when is the next proper sale?

When is the helloween sale? After that we have the black friday sale and christmas sale, new year sale then chinese new year sale?

I'm considering getting Dark Souls PTDE.. Not sure if I'm masochistic enough to do it though..

I've been playing a lot of Artifex Mundi's hidden object games in my downtime lately. I don't care what anybody says, shit's fun.
Agreed. Hidden object games have become a real comfort-food kind of genre for me. My only problem is that Artifex Mundi, in particular, only have a handful of different puzzles, other than the hidden object scenes. And those puzzles crop up in almost every single game of theirs. It can get a bit samey.

JaseC

When is the helloween sale? After that we have the black friday sale and christmas sale, new year sale then chinese new year sale?

I'm considering getting Dark Souls PTDE.. Not sure if I'm masochistic enough to do it though..

The Halloween Sale runs in lieu of/alongside the final Weekend Deals of the month, then there's the Autumn Sale in late November, which is followed by the Holiday/Winter Sale a few weeks later. There's no New Year Sale as the H/W Sale runs into the first week of January, and the Chinese New Year Sale may have been a one-off not unlike the Indie Spring Sale a few years ago (time will tell).

shockdude

Today I finally sat down and beat Skyrim's main quest.

Skyrim is ok. The world/story didn't really capture me, and the gameplay is pretty simplistic and janky. Still, I did have fun devising strategies to beat
cheese
enemies while being somewhat underleveled.

Some notes:
  • I played an Imperial with a focus on one-handed, restoration, and destruction.
  • The only mods I installed were SkyUI, Immersive HUD, and the Unofficial Patches.
  • Ended the game at Level 17 (Adept difficulty), after 35 hours of gameplay. Only changed the difficulty once, when I
    smuggled crappy equipment into the Thalmor embassy
    and had no save to fall back on.
  • Dragonbane
    and
    Dawnbreaker
    are great swords for the later quests.
  • Lydia is a fantastic tank. She happily draws the attention of enemies, withstanding stupid amounts of damage while dealing stupidly high damage. Pretty sure she had a higher "level" than I did, if that's a thing.
  • Jumping on and off platforms is a good way to mess with bosses' pathfinding and keep them out of range.
I was surprised that at the end
there were no end credits. Apparently this is standard fare for Elder Scrolls games, but I didn't know that. Made the ending feel kinda empty tbh.

I think at this point I've spent more time researching, downloading, and installing Skyrim mods than I have spent playing Skyrim's main quest. Both times I really pursued it I got as far as... chosing between the two armies, before getting distracted by something else and dropping Skyrim.

I can't actually think of another series where I am so disinterested in the world and lore in spite of spending dozens upon dozens of hours playing.

DS1 is a good time if you play it with DSFix. It walks the tight line between "challenging" and "fun," only really wavering for the final third of the game.

And the best part is, playing DS1 will prep you for the best game in the series, DS2 (non-SotFS).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How important is wired connection for a solid steam link experience?

Can the steam controller connect directly to the steam link?

JaseC

If you have an 802.11n router or better and a strong signal in the area where you'll be using the Link, I'd give wireless a go before committing to a wired setup. I don't have a Link, but I have played around with IHS and had no issues whatsoever playing AssCreed Unity on my laptop with a 72Mbps (possibly 150Mbps, but I'm fairly certain it was 72Mbps at the time) wireless network connection -- no compression artefacts or perceptible input lag.

Yes.

Nabs

1) It depends on your network. If it's AC and close enough, you might be fine. That's what I use. Wired is recommended.

2) The Steam Controller connects with the Link with no extra dongles. Press X+Steam Button to connect it the first time (I think), press A+Steam Button to switch between the Link and your PC.

I don't know about Steam Link but with a good dual band wireless N connection I can do Steam in-house streaming at 720p60 or 1080p30 at a reasonable bitrate and play things like Street Fighter 4 single player (but not online, mind you).

Is there anyway I can play Steam games on the same PC along side someone who's also playing the same game without wiping or restarting the progress?

JaseC

Is there anyway I can play Steam games on the same PC with someone who's also playing the same game without wiping or restarting the progress?

Create your own Windows user account.

Edit: I just assumed you have your own Steam account and there's an overlap in game ownership. If not, also do what hooijdonk suggests below. Note that not all games support Family Sharing, and some that do may not appear in the shared library even though they should be there (Valve really needs to fix this).

Create your own Windows user account.

Edit: I just assumed you have your own Steam account and there's an overlap in game ownership. If not, also do what hooijdonk suggests below.

Only have one Steam account but I could make another. Bit if I just make another win user account can I access and play games on my account with separate save progress?

Jimrpg

I can't decide if I should get the Skyrim paperback guide (AU$22) or hardcover guide (AU$37).

It's $15 for a hard cover! The content is the same. I like to collect strategy guides from time to time but games are obviously the first priority.

JaseC

Only have one Steam account but I could make another. Bit if I just make another win user account can I access and play games on my account with separate save progress?

Some games save within My Documents or AppData, which is where having your own Windows account comes in handy, while others save within Steam\userdata\[your user id], which is where having your own Steam account is helpful. You need both to have completely separate progress across the board.

Edit: Particularly old games just save within the installation folder (e.g. Quake), but odds are you'll find that the particular title you're playing supports save slots, so it's unlikely to be an issue.

Some games save within My Documents or AppData, which is where having your own Windows account comes in handy, while others save within Steamuserdata[your user id], which is where having your own Steam account is helpful. You need both to have completely separate progress across the board.

Alright. I'll try making another Steam account with family sharing. Thanks for the help.

How exactly do booster packs work on Steam? Has anyone like ever received one? I've been on steam forever and never got a booster pack drop..

Platy

I have too many categories:

672bsmg.png

For the curious ones :

Favorites, Now, Backlong, Action, Agriculture, Adventure, Airplane, Bullet Hell, Cards, Cities, Race, Strategy, Coop FPS, Multiplayer FPS, Retro FPS, Single Player FPS, Stealth, Soccer, Golf, Hunting, Fighting, radical tricks, moba, musical, platform, puzzle, rpg, rts, simulation, survival, super hero, horror, tps, visual novel, finished, games, rv

my favorite is "games"

Deques

So strange.. I'm Level 16 and I've been on Steam for 11 years and never had a booster pack drop. Is that normal? :/

It's normal.
There are many factors to get a booster pack
1. You need to have dropped all cards for a game
2. Someone else has to create a badge
3. Your chance to get a booster pack depends on your level
4. Other users may have higher chance to get the same booster pack
5. It's all random

I have too many categories:

672bsmg.png

I used to have many categories too, then I wiped all the categories and sort games finished by year.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you have an 802.11n router or better and a strong signal in the area where you'll be using the Link, I'd give wireless a go before committing to a wired setup. I don't have a Link, but I have played around with IHS and had no issues whatsoever playing AssCreed Unity on my laptop with a 72Mbps (possibly 150Mbps, but I'm fairly certain it was 72Mbps at the time) wireless network connection -- no compression artefacts or perceptible input lag.

Yes.

1) It depends on your network. If it's AC and close enough, you might be fine. That's what I use. Wired is recommended.

2) The Steam Controller connects with the Link with no extra dongles. Press X+Steam Button to connect it the first time (I think), press A+Steam Button to switch between the Link and your PC.

I don't know about Steam Link but with a good dual band wireless N connection I can do Steam in-house streaming at 720p60 or 1080p30 at a reasonable bitrate and play things like Street Fighter 4 single player (but not online, mind you).

Thanks! I guess I'll try it without cables first and see how it goes. I think my wireless router is reasonably capable, but not really high end.

Tomasety

So strange.. I'm Level 16 and I've been on Steam for 11 years and never had a booster pack drop. Is that normal? :/

It depends on how many games you own and how many of those are "freebies". Level 16 is very low this days and I assume you don't own any digital homicide game nor any gala freebie and the alike.

Alts account with your same level have bigger chance to get booster pack because of the latter explanation.

JaseC

Are you sure you've used up all of your card drops in a given game?

I can't decide if I should get the Skyrim paperback guide (AU$22) or hardcover guide (AU$37).

It's $15 for a hard cover! The content is the same. I like to collect strategy guides from time to time but games are obviously the first priority.

I always pay the premium for hardcover when buying books. The only paperback "book" I own is an issue of Asterix that a friend bought me as something of a gag gift.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Nzyme32, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nzyme32, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Snakebird -- MB-D13925B9A3A46D37 - Taken by Monooboe. 16 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Prison Architect -- MB-58935D297BF7F1B0 - Taken by MaxiLive. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Total War: SHOGUN 2 Collection -- MB-62B97776EA9AC01B - Taken by voodooray. 27 entrants total.
The Beginner's Guide -- MB-8FEC783EFAF50F34 - Taken by hohoXD123. 12 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-88CA86407073479B - Taken by Platy. 2 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-6EB4093807207BD4 - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-25AACC6E0FA21DEF - Taken by Dusk Golem. 6 entrants total.
Runestone Keeper -- MB-A7D3AB4A090DCC22 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-77E5F2C037AD23F9 - Taken by neonglow. 10 entrants total.
Road to Ballhalla -- MB-84C4149C14C6AD99 - Taken by Zeeman. 11 entrants total.
1001 Spikes -- MB-D578314B0BE549E3 - Taken by StrangeRoboMemory. 3 entrants total.
Devil Daggers -- MB-698D0EFFDEAB1B83 - Taken by KainXVIII. 17 entrants total.

t1476096074z1.png

Yeah I actually have used all my drops in quite a few games, I have 154 games and no freebies. Badges page says I'm eligible for a drop in 11 games.. They are oldish games though (2 years or older, I'm cheapass) I suppose someone has to craft badges for those games specifically for me to get boosters in them?

I'm biting the bullet and getting oxenfree and dark souls. How much cheaper can they get and how bad can they be and all that..

Also, is Steam Idle Master safe to use? There are some games I beat before they had cards enabled and I can't be assed to play them over again for 40 hours..

Coreda

Am I the only one who just saw the Gaming Community section have a larger than usual font size a few minutes ago?

JaseC

Yeah I actually have used all my drops in quite a few games, I have 154 games and no freebies. Badges page says I'm eligible for a drop in 11 games.. They are oldish games though (2 years or older, I'm cheapass) I suppose someone has to craft badges for those games specifically for me to get boosters in them?

Strange. The only requirement is that you need to have used up the drops.

Also, is Steam Idle Master safe to use? There are some games I beat before they had cards enabled and I can't be assed to play them over again for 40 hours..

Yes.

Tomasety

You just have only 11 eligible games so yeah, it's normal for you. Not only a few games but also your steam level is very low. Very low chances and even more worse if somebody hardly crafts them.

Mm how many games do you have eligible for a chance of a booster pack drop? I'm not sure if you meant 11 for that or for steam cards drop.

Idlemaster is safe to use. You can either use it or Archi.

Tizoc

I'm curious if ModBot (or the one who used ModBot to close the thread) knows about the nature of the 'social experiment' that Jim Sterling was going after :v

Deques

Like everyone has said, it's safe

Use the Steam Trading Card Glitch if you want to get cards quicker
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215927103&postcount=1625

I'm curious if ModBot (or the one who used ModBot to close the thread) knows about the nature of the 'social experiment' that Jim Sterling was going after :v

I have a question for you, is there anyone who has "-er" as his/her tag? :D

Unai

For the curious ones :

Favorites, Now, Backlong, Action, Agriculture, Adventure, Airplane, Bullet Hell, Cards, Cities, Race, Strategy, Coop FPS, Multiplayer FPS, Retro FPS, Single Player FPS, Stealth, Soccer, Golf, Hunting, Fighting, radical tricks, moba, musical, platform, puzzle, rpg, rts, simulation, survival, super hero, horror, tps, visual novel, finished, games, rv

my favorite is "games"

In my defense, "games" is just the automatic default category =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom